Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

Perceval said:
Having said that, you might find once you get into burning fats as your primary source of energy, you feel like not eating for a day or only eating one meal or something. Who knows.

This is what I am experiencing today. I was going to wait a couple days to bring it up, but since you have mentioned it....I had bone broth and 3 strips of bacon this morning and at 5:34pm I am still full. At first, I thought something was wrong with me. Then, I started thinking how good this will be in a famine situation.

I was going to see if I'm hungry tomorrow. If not, no since eating when you're not hungry.

I learnt recently than the pepper does not support the prolonged heat. At least, it is written on the box, but I had no read it, ever. So, I made some researchs but I have a lot of difficulties to make them in english, surely because I do not know exactly which words use to make the most effective research. So I gonna share with you my translation about what I found, and maybe someone will be able to do it in English.

I also found these informations, in French... I made a short translation:
The pepper brings diverse virtues for the smooth running of our digestive system, through our immunizing defense. To do it, the pepper comforts the stomach and stimulates the appetite while increasing the gastric secretion and the saliva.
This spice also helps the suffering persons of a fever by deleting the shivers. To note that the pepper also contains an antibacterial substance.
The pepper is advised to the persons who are on a diet thinning. He can increase the volume of the urine thus he plays a role in the purification of the blood. Therefore, do not any more forget to season your dishes chills with the pepper. Watch however that it is not too plentiful, because certain persons do not support its pricking taste.
For those who read the French, it is not at all the only website talking the same about: http://www.webchercheurs.com/62/6028-fr-les-vertus-du-poivre-digestion-fievre.html

If pepper can help us in the diet, maybe it would be great to be sure than it supports the prolonged heat. From I discovered this, I use to put the pepper in my bone broth just before to drink. The same for any else.

I also read somewhere in the Ailén's links (sorry for not remembering which one exactly) than it is important to drink a lot of water and not to neglect the contribution in magnesium, and in potassium.
Which could confirm my understanding these last days, by using at the same time some salt of Himalaya and also from some poor salt to sodium but rich in potassium (as those used for diet poor in sodium). What gave me the opportunity to reduce my contribution of complements of magnesium malate as well as of potassium.

Edit: missing two words.

Laura said:
So, for the heart thing, sounds like it's bone broth regularly for potassium with maybe a small bit supplemented, and possibly a tad of magnesium. Okay, I can do that. Just took one. I'll continue for a few days and report back.

I had the bone broth for dinner last night, a generous bowl with lots of fat from the bone, and before bed supplemented with magnesium and potassium and had a full night's sleep without waking up once. I woke up after about 7 hours of sleep and I was fully refreshed. No crazy heartbeat or anything during the night.

Heimdallr said:
Laura said:
So, for the heart thing, sounds like it's bone broth regularly for potassium with maybe a small bit supplemented, and possibly a tad of magnesium. Okay, I can do that. Just took one. I'll continue for a few days and report back.

I had the bone broth for dinner last night, a generous bowl with lots of fat from the bone, and before bed supplemented with magnesium and potassium and had a full night's sleep without waking up once. I woke up after about 7 hours of sleep and I was fully refreshed. No crazy heartbeat or anything during the night.

I'm really glad you are sleeping now. Sounds like the right combination. So anyone else having similar problems, try it and see if the results replicate.

Q: Was it said: "no dairy" when using either
the Paleo-Diet or the Ketogenic diet?

I was having heart palpitations for a couple of months (?) before this experiment that didn't go away even supplementing with mag malate and potassium. Since going into ketosis the palpitations have gone away. Every now and then if I'm very still I may feel a little flutter but other than that, nothing.

Also, I mentioned the low level feeling of heat in my core after eating and exercising (and I stayed all warm throughout the night after my cold bath yesterday evening). Last night I took my oral temp before bed and it was 98F. I've checked my temp from time to time at different times of the day and I've never been that high. They were running in the 96 to low 97 range. I'm gonna check a bit more regularly and see if it stays that way or if it's just a fluke. Metabolism increase is what I'm assuming.

Last 2 or 3 days, I increased my fat, starting some weight exercises in our apartment Gym and keto stix is in full color. Also having the issues others mentioned. lower leg muscle pain, diarrhea , lot of weakness etc. potassium seems to be making things little bette r. my heart rate is any way little higher than normal. so there is no changes in it. Sleep is little better. I am trying whether magnesium and potassium makes any difference. A fter I stopped carbs, blood sugar seems to be going down, though there is no symptoms related it. I will have to wait and see.

Today was much better for me, as I finally experienced the "zoom" many were reporting in the LWB thread when we were originally experimenting with carb restriction. Holy cow! I feel like there's rocket fuel in my veins! I never experienced this the first time around. It's really something. I'm about 10 minutes away from bedtime and I feel like I could run a marathon!

I ate breakfast this morning and have been fasting all day (except for a few tablespoons of fat here and there). I'm still experiencing hunger, but it's minor. Body aches and fatigue have all disappeared. I went for a fairly rigorous bike ride earlier this evening but I still feel energized. I don't know if I'll be able to sleep!

Also, pushups and situps were proving to awkward in my tiny apartment so I joined a cheap gym down the street from me.

I'm finally caught up on this thread. I'm continuing lowering protein on alternate days. I still have to get started on resistance exercises (I haven't exercised in ages, so long I can't remember) but haven't had the time yet. Just wanted to mention that I haven't had much change other than having even a bit more energy more consistently.

But then again, I've been eating two meals a day with 70 to 85% fat content for close to a year and a half. I did bring my carbs up to about 10 to 15 grams a day for a while, but I've brought it back down to under 10 most days.

Laura said:
I, too, have noted a bit of "fluttery speed" to the heart at odd moments. Nothing like the palpitations I used to have, but yeah, it's there. I suspect it is because the heart is used to having such bad fuel and now it gets its preferred fuel and it's have to have a carburator adjustment or something.
I've noticed that as a consequence of this diet, although I only realised it last week whilst doing kriogenic therapy that my heart rate is much 'louder', rather than speeded up. Prior to the kriogenics, my blood pressure was checked and found to be 'good', although I do have tachycardia - a 'flutter' on the third beat - I was informed that this was not a problem if I have had no heart problems (I think the tachycardia started sometime after my mother died last autumn). The krio opens up the veins and capillaries so this may account for the 'loudness' of the beat. Krio works on the vagus nerve too.

Laura on Yesterday at 09:46:51 PM said:
I already use both salt and potassium in the water that I drink through the day. I'll add some to the broth a little magnesium and see what the effects are.

Edit: Added vagus nerve sentence, further quote from Laura and added a comment. (and spelling)

I'm planning to fast this week-end to set the whole thing in motion. What puzzles me a little bit in this thread is the infamous omega 3/6 ratio, nobody seems to have mentionned it. I though that pork fat is very rich in omega 6, which can cause inflammations if the ratio isn't in favor of omega 3. Did you drop the whole "grass fed beef" thing, for now ?

Also, concerning the 4:1 vs 3:1 fat for protein ratio. What's the best for skinny people ? Looks like the skinny forumites tried different combinations. I weigh 64kg for 1m88 (140 pounds for 6.17 feets).

Polonel said:
I'm planning to fast this week-end to set the whole thing in motion. What puzzles me a little bit in this thread is the infamous omega 3/6 ratio, nobody seems to have mentionned it. I though that pork fat is very rich in omega 6, which can cause inflammations if the ratio isn't in favor of omega 3. Did you drop the whole "grass fed beef" thing, for now ?

Obviously it would be best I think to get meat from a naturally fed pork. If you can't get that, organic is good too. That's what I will be getting. Occassionally I also eat wild-caught fish which you can do as well, and omega 3 supplements is another thing you can look into.

It's interesting you mentioned this, because as I've started IF, I've noticed that my gut just can't take grass fed beef anymore It's way too high in protein and contains very little fat, and even though I eat little of it and add plenty of tallow it just doesn't feel right. I seem to do best now with pork, fish, veal and lamb.

Fwiw.

Did I missed or misunderstood something here because many of you in this thread seem to use ketostiks again while they were considered unreliable in the Life without bread' thread? My only gauge these days to know if i'm in mild or strong ketosis being the acetone breath,is it a good marker?
And by the way could someone living in france tell me what's the name or the brand i should order at the pharmacy? Thanks.

Don Diego said:
Did I missed or misunderstood something here because many of you in this thread seem to use ketostiks again while they were considered unreliable in the Life without bread' thread? My only gauge these days to know if i'm in mild or strong ketosis being the acetone breath,is it a good marker?
And by the way could someone living in france tell me what's the name or the brand i should order at the pharmacy? Thanks.

You can buy keto-diastix (bayer). Env. 8 euros.

Don Diego said:

It's been remarked here that they aren't entirely reliable, just a general indicator in the beginning. I just got ketostix here. Just ask the pharmacist for the urine testers that diabetics use.

Back
Top Bottom