Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

ines said:
Thanks for your replies.

A good pointer Huxley, to get knowledge of why I would like to crave for something known as unhealthy to me, if another craving-situation should resurface (bolded Part) . I thought about what benefit could come from this pointer and I think that it is maybe easier to do otherwise (to not crave) if you can adress the source and see if it is just a longing for something other and so to acknowledge that , with simultaneously knowing what the best fuel for the body is and just provide it with it. But please correct me if you meant it not this way) :

Huxley said:
At the start of the diet it is very normal to have the symptoms you described, as your starting to digest some new whole foods and slowly cutting out the previous addictions that cause a sort of withdrawal. So this is where the slip ups can happen, but never stress about that. If it happens, it happens. Try to notice what the effects are and how you react to this previously tolerated food for future reference. Maybe look at why you wanted the sugary snack in the first place, dissociation, stress, hungry etc.

I realized by and by that I often craved or felt the urge to crave a big amount of something full of addictive sugar when I felt feelings of lonelyness, emptyness or dissatisfaction and in stressful situations.

But , if i now provide myself with enough fat, i rarely get hungry.
And it is not that longing-hunger.

Yes ines thats what i was going for :). As youve said, and as is depicted in many films where a lonely woman inhales a tub of ice cream, when we feel lonely we look for any sort of comfort. And because we are animals by nature, food is a very very nice comfort. So instead of addressing the ''i am feeling lonely/stressed'', we say ''i want some ice cream''.

But simply knowing ourselves and what we deeply need can lead us to the better alternative, of maybe seeking some stress relieving quality time with friends or taking a walk outside to see if we are hungry, or just bored/agitated/stressed.

But once the fat is continually high, and we are eating enough real food, the cravings will most of the time be due to the external influences in our lives.

Following up to the recent radio show on Methylation and genetic defects, I was very interested in Dr. Rostenberg's initial gut healing methods.

I think that my gut is nowhere near healed as I would like it to be. I still can't tolerate many, many foods, and at a recent gathering some chocolate, tapioca, fruit/honey was enough to leave me feeling inflamed for days.

It turns out that he has a protocol simply laid out on his site (10 Day gut healing protocol), which basically consists of HCL/Enzymes, probiotics, botanical anti-microbials and heroic doses of L-glutamine. The other key aspect to the program is eating multiple small meals of only ONE food at a time (something that I've never heard of before).

It is available here: http://beyondmthfr.com/10-day-gut-repair/

It struck me as odd and counter-productive that he would use anti-microbials and probiotics at the same time I posted a comment and here is his reply:

Hi Carl,

Thank you for your comment! Yes, at first it can seem illogical to kill microorganisms while taking probiotics. The key to remember is that we are killing mainly pathogenic organisms – parasites of various kinds, yeasts/fungi, biofilm, bacteria, etc. This is all accomplished with the essential oils and berberine complexes. The other ingredients in the protocol are simultaneously rebuilding the gut wall and providing an optimum environment for the new probiotics to take root. It works very well to do this all at once. The body responds better to frequency, intensity, timing, duration, and quality. In other words, doing something intensely for a short time beats the slow and steady approach in practically every case. Remember too that the probiotics that Metagenics uses are known to produce their own form of antibiotics, helping to rid the gut of pathogens.

I found his reply interesting, as personally I've experimented with many different slow approaches over the years and haven't gotten very far.

I already have a few of the supplements and plan to try this out when I get hold of some others

Cheers for sharing Carl. I listened to the podcast and was meaning to check his protocol out, but I wasn't aware that it only lasted for 10 days! I'll admit that i have been lazy when it comes to these dietary healing protocols, mainly because of the length of time that most are meant to last for, so this ones right up my street :cool: Thanks again

Hello!
For me this diet has been an ongoing process of applying knowledge and then needing to learn more and apply that. I've been working on this for about 7 months. Recently I came down with a rather bad cold which threatened to turn into bronchitis. So I needed to have a look at what I was or wasn't feeding my immune system since I was feeling so run down. One thing is I had cut down drastically on green veggies of all kinds almost eliminating these completely. I had upped the fats, reduced carbs dramatically and kept the protein moderate, appropriate for my body weight. I've lost 17 pounds which I love and my energy level has gotten much better but... I still need to work on the optimal diet for myself. I also stopped taking all supplements.

So its back to the books for me. In the last few days I'm feeling much better since adding supplements back into my diet. Here is what I'm taking, usually with a small shake at breakfast time with my eggs and bacon. Grass fed, organic whey, spirilina, parsley, coconut milk or cream, 1/2 banana (to make it tolerable), liquid minerals- zinc, iodine, selenium, Vit D, sunflower seeds or almonds. Along with supplement pills of NAC, ALA, vit E, vit C (away from meals which is harder to do). Also I've upped the sulfur type veggies of broccoli, cauliflower and sauerkraut as I want to fortify my glutathione elimination system(the whey helps with this). I mentioned the 5 mercury fillings I still have.

My intuition or gut feeling is I was really missing the GREEN chlorophyll nutrients. Also my evening meal needs more fat leaving me hungry looking for snacks later in the evening. I mostly eat dinner away from home so this is more difficult to manage. Maybe just up the butter at those meals.

Over all though, I'm much healthier in many ways. My thinking process is much more focused, clear and I feel I'm becoming more intelligent, I like that! My exceptional reading list is also helping with that.

Hi SummerLite, well done with your progress to Keto :)!

SummerLite said:
coconut milk or cream, 1/2 banana (to make it tolerable),[...] sunflower seeds or almonds.

Maybe you should try cut these out, many members are intolerant to any kind of nuts, seeds etc. There's information in this thread about how many have suffered through eating bananas too. Experiment yourself! cut them out for a month or so, and try them again.

SummerLite said:
Over all though, I'm much healthier in many ways. My thinking process is much more focused, clear and I feel I'm becoming more intelligent, I like that! My exceptional reading list is also helping with that.

That's great to know! :)

Keyhole said:
Cheers for sharing Carl. I listened to the podcast and was meaning to check his protocol out, but I wasn't aware that it only lasted for 10 days! I'll admit that i have been lazy when it comes to these dietary healing protocols, mainly because of the length of time that most are meant to last for, so this ones right up my street :cool: Thanks again

Hi guys, and this protocol which lasts 10 days, is periodic?It has to be done for several times? :huh:

The site has suggested that Carl, does not work for me. :(

riclapaz said:
Keyhole said:

Hi guys, and this protocol which lasts 10 days, is periodic?It has to be done for several times? :huh:

I would imagine that once you had transitioned to a "gut friendly" diet that once would be enough unless there was some other underlying health issues. I guess you could always have a look at the thread and comment on the bottom to ask the man himself?

Carl said:
Following up to the recent radio show on Methylation and genetic defects, I was very interested in Dr. Rostenberg's initial gut healing methods.

I think that my gut is nowhere near healed as I would like it to be. I still can't tolerate many, many foods, and at a recent gathering some chocolate, tapioca, fruit/honey was enough to leave me feeling inflamed for days.

It turns out that he has a protocol simply laid out on his site (10 Day gut healing protocol), which basically consists of HCL/Enzymes, probiotics, botanical anti-microbials and heroic doses of L-glutamine. The other key aspect to the program is eating multiple small meals of only ONE food at a time (something that I've never heard of before).

It is available here: http://beyondmthfr.com/10-day-gut-repair/

It struck me as odd and counter-productive that he would use anti-microbials and probiotics at the same time I posted a comment and here is his reply:

Hi Carl,

Thank you for your comment! Yes, at first it can seem illogical to kill microorganisms while taking probiotics. The key to remember is that we are killing mainly pathogenic organisms – parasites of various kinds, yeasts/fungi, biofilm, bacteria, etc. This is all accomplished with the essential oils and berberine complexes. The other ingredients in the protocol are simultaneously rebuilding the gut wall and providing an optimum environment for the new probiotics to take root. It works very well to do this all at once. The body responds better to frequency, intensity, timing, duration, and quality. In other words, doing something intensely for a short time beats the slow and steady approach in practically every case. Remember too that the probiotics that Metagenics uses are known to produce their own form of antibiotics, helping to rid the gut of pathogens.

I found his reply interesting, as personally I've experimented with many different slow approaches over the years and haven't gotten very far.

I already have a few of the supplements and plan to try this out when I get hold of some others

Thank you for the link Carl, seems very simple and a pretty good experiment in itself! I have just over 2 weeks off soon, so it will give me t he full day to prepare meals in advance. This will be very VERY strange i can imagine going from a standard two meals a day intermittent fasting. so im going to give it a go for 10 days and get the recommended supp's.

With the example of mono meals he provided, when would the fat be consumed? With the protein itself, or as a separate middle meal; as im guessing its the digestion of mixed food types protein/fat/carbs that causes some of the inadequate digestion.

Hi Lilyalic,

Quote from: SummerLite on Today at 06:33:19 PM

coconut milk or cream, 1/2 banana (to make it tolerable),[...] sunflower seeds or almonds.

Maybe you should try cut these out, many members are intolerant to any kind of nuts, seeds etc. There's information in this thread about how many have suffered through eating bananas too. Experiment yourself! cut them out for a month or so, and try them again.

I've read in the past about these issues here, so I'll be aware of this possibility, thanks. A good time to test as I haven't had seeds or bananas in months but have been eating peanut or almond butter fairly regularly. One thing is I haven't bothered to soak these before eating so that may be a issue in itself. I do seem to have a fairly tolerant system over all but time will tell and more refining will continue I'm sure. I haven't noticed any issues with eggs, coconut oils, seeds or nuts so far.

I seem to eat most of my fat and protein in the first meal of the day which keeps me going well but the proportion of fat drops off later in the day so I need to carry through with other meals. I'm also getting tired of bacon and eggs, butter for this meal.... Need to come up with new ideas for breakfast. This is a rather perfect breakfast for me though, seems to work well. But...it is getting a bit old. :lol:

The liquid zinc is the big, offending factor in this shake and requires the fruit. So, I'll likely change that but need to use this newly bought bottle first I think. All the liquid minerals I purchased are from the company called TraceMinerals in ionic form which seems good. I think the iodine is something I really did need.

http://www.traceminerals.com/

riclapaz said:
and this protocol which lasts 10 days, is periodic?It has to be done for several times? :huh:

Try to go to his home page (beyondmthfr.com) and navigate from there.

It looks like this is a one time thing, which is meant to set the foundation for whatever you want to do next, which includes heavy metal detox and methylation support (both separate protocols which are documented on this forum).

It would most likely be a helpful periodic 'refresher' when doing an intense parasite cleanse, but in this case it would focus mainly on the probiotics, prebiotics and intestinal wall healers.

Huxley said:
Thank you for the link Carl, seems very simple and a pretty good experiment in itself! I have just over 2 weeks off soon, so it will give me t he full day to prepare meals in advance. This will be very VERY strange i can imagine going from a standard two meals a day intermittent fasting. so im going to give it a go for 10 days and get the recommended supp's.

With the example of mono meals he provided, when would the fat be consumed? With the protein itself, or as a separate middle meal; as im guessing its the digestion of mixed food types protein/fat/carbs that causes some of the inadequate digestion.

I'm guessing that you'd have it with other meals, as it is pretty difficult to take solely fat away from meals unless you do olive oil shots or munch on a block of butter.

Also note that this is quite a low calorie, temporary diet (similar to GAPS but not as extreme), which gives the gut a break while healing, so you wouldn't be having as much fat. So far I'm thinking something like:

1) Pork belly slice
2) green beens steamed + sauteed in lard
3) Fish
4) Some parsnip cooked in lard
5) Egg yolks

Edit: I should also mention that if you live outside of the US or can't afford everything on the list, substitutes for the listed supplements are available that don't follow the protocol to the letter but may have the same effect.

e.g. http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Candida-Support-90-Veggie-Caps/462 (anti-microbials)
http://www.iherb.com/Garden-of-Life-Immune-Balance-Sinus-30-Veggie-Caps/24307 (S. boulardii)
http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Jarro-Dophilus-EPS-120-Veggie-Caps/7006 (general pro-biotic)

SummerLite said:
I do seem to have a fairly tolerant system over all but time will tell and more refining will continue I'm sure. I haven't noticed any issues with eggs, coconut oils, seeds or nuts so far.
That's what I thought about myself until I went full keto. I thought I could eat anything but it turns out that when I tried to introduce things back into my diet I would have surprising reactions to them. Especially coconut and dairy. I would just swell up, I could literally feel my hips becoming heavier and the bloating was awful. Even egg whites make me feel "not right". It's scary to think of the long term damage I was doing because I couldn't see or feel anything wrong at the beginning.
As for breakfast you could try having a buttery tea/coffee. The butter tastes nice with peppermint tea. It makes a change. Or you could have some fat bomb custard poured on blueberries or over some nuts if you still want to go ahead with them. It's kind of like having yoghurt in the morning.
Personally I go for the tea and that keeps me going till lunch. I made a batch of vanilla custard and froze it on lolly pop sticks, it tastes like the most creamy ice cream.

lainey said:
SummerLite said:
I do seem to have a fairly tolerant system over all but time will tell and more refining will continue I'm sure. I haven't noticed any issues with eggs, coconut oils, seeds or nuts so far.
That's what I thought about myself until I went full keto. I thought I could eat anything but it turns out that when I tried to introduce things back into my diet I would have surprising reactions to them.
Ditto. Until everything has been eliminated apart from the bare essentials (basically just meat and fat), your body really has a hard time communicating whether you are reacting to anything or not. Once the diet has been stripped bare, you might me rather unpleasantly suprised at how many foods are reactive once they are re-introduced. For me its mostly egg whites, sweet potato, any type of nightshade keeps me awake all night or gives me nightmares, any coconut products, and for a period egg yolks.

You might also find that when the gut begins to heal a little, previously reactive foods are no longer reactive. It just takes time, and can be a slow process. Try to listen to your body :)

Yeah, the nuts (also peanuts which are legumes and should be avoided), seeds, dairy, and coconut milk is definitely worth testing by elimination and then a month or two later reintroduction. They are usually problematic and many can't tolerate them.

Hi everyone,

How big is the difference between a Very Low Carb diet and a Ketogenic diet regarding the health benefits? Are there some effects that can be achieved with either of those diets and some that are only possible with Ketosis?

I eat only salmon (for breakfast) and a combination of boiled chicken and vegetables with olive oil (for lunch/dinner). Recently I stopped my last sugar intake by switching from somewhat sweetened to just black tea.

Now I realize that vegetables are also a source of carbs and I was wondering if decreasing the amount of vegetables I eat (about 1 pound per day) would be enough to achieve ketosis. Or would that require an increase in the intake of fat as well? Right now it seems to be more protein than fat that I'm eating.

axj said:
Hi everyone,

How big is the difference between a Very Low Carb diet and a Ketogenic diet regarding the health benefits? Are there some effects that can be achieved with either of those diets and some that are only possible with Ketosis?

I eat only salmon (for breakfast) and a combination of boiled chicken and vegetables with olive oil (for lunch/dinner). Recently I stopped my last sugar intake by switching from somewhat sweetened to just black tea.

Now I realize that vegetables are also a source of carbs and I was wondering if decreasing the amount of vegetables I eat (about 1 pound per day) would be enough to achieve ketosis. Or would that require an increase in the intake of fat as well? Right now it seems to be more protein than fat that I'm eating.

Hi axj,

It is important to increase the amount of fat while lowering the amount of carbs. The reason is that your body is normally used to burn carbs turning them into glucose and the idea of the ketogenic diet is to burn fat instead, turning it into ketone bodies. Thus, you need a good amount of fat in your diet, and it needs to be animal fat (grass fed if possible), because vegetable oils from olive oil or others wont be enough, and they don't have the right ratio of fatty acids that your body needs. Coconut oil is also quite good for most, and it helps in the transition because it is converted easily to ketone bodies, so it gives you a boost of energy when your body is still a bit lazy, at the beginning.

Basically, eat bacon, lard, tallow, butter, and fatty meat.

It is very important to be informed as well, so, if you go through this thread, you will find plenty of information on the ratios of protein, carbs and fat, as well as several ways to calculate the amount of each in your diet. Besides, this can also be slightly different for different people, so it better to understand it so that you can monitor what you experience and adjust according to what is best for you. ;)

Fwiw...

Back
Top Bottom