"Life Without Bread"

Welcome to the forum, Gimpy. Good to hear, Gimpy. Your post somehow put me in a happy mood. :flowers: (Although I wouldn't be happy to find out that one of my legs was shorter than the other...) Let's see how the slimy doctors explain away your perfect bloodwork results.

I decided to try butter tea . . . wow! It's so satisfying and warming. I made it with a strong black tea, plenty of butter and a half tsp of xylitol, whisked vigorously. Yesterday I did my first full day back at work, and an extra hour early this morning, so I've been pretty tired today, but the butter tea gave me some energy and woke me up! It seems to promote a clear head. No wonder the Tibetans like it. Makes me wonder if they actually need to eat any solids if they drink several cups of butter tea every day. It's a really good way of getting extra fat into the body.

Muxel said:
(Although I wouldn't be happy to find out that one of my legs was shorter than the other...)

Wouldn't you want to know? So you could do something about it?

Mrs. Peel said:
As one of the non-smoking minority here, I'll eat a piece of bacon for you instead!!! :lol:
:lol: Good idea, I'll be doing that too! After all, Gimpy didn't specify if we oughta smoke bacon or cigarettes.

Endymion said:
Wouldn't you want to know? So you could do something about it?
A diagnosis is a good thing...but I'd have mixed feelings, if you know what I mean. I knew someone who was born with it and had to wear special shoes all his life.

mocachapeau's piece reminded me of this:
[quote author=Session August 20, 2011]A: It reflects a balance. That is, no gluttony, respect for the gifts of the goddess blood.[/quote]
That's why I feel it's wrong to take pleasure in eating, because that's taking it out of the context of "balance". Especially when we must kill to eat. IMO hunger-satiation is pathological, and we must be in the middle ground, where we feel neither hunger nor satiation; a stasis. Like the ancient solemn food ceremonies. Not the present-day "Gawd I'm soooo hungry OMG that smells SO good".

I gave up tea recently. Because I've been to a tea plantation before, and I saw terraced hills of a single shade of green that would have Lierre Keith screaming "monocrop", dotted with generic enslaved plantation workers attired in wide straw hats, long sleeved shirts, and shorts. Compare this to the legend of tea's origin—a leaf from a wild tea plant falling by chance into Emperor Shen Nong's cup. Hunter-gathering of tea ended RIGHT THERE lol. (Btw I suspect "Shen Nong" was really a bad Orion guy, or a Lizzie.)

My theory is, post-ponerization, people found themselves with all this poisonous agro, and had to perform all sorts of obsessive-compulsive refining on the agro before it could be consumed. Like drying, fermenting, aging, distilling, brining, pulverizing, marinating, beating, skimming, separating, centrifuging, whatever. With tea for example, even after all that processing, the Chinese don't eat the tea leaves, and if the tea gets too dark (saturated), they throw it out. Matcha tea is "safe" because it's been reduced to powder, for god's sake. And butter—people had to sit and churn until their arms fell off, prior to the Industrial Revolution. The "best wine" is aged for one half-life of uranium-235. Your steak is too tough, ma'am? Even after ALL Monsieur Chef's done to make it edible? Well, you shouldn't be eating that big slab of muscle meat (poor man's fat-offal).

Muxel said:
Welcome to the forum, Gimpy. Good to hear, Gimpy. Your post somehow put me in a happy mood. :flowers: (Although I wouldn't be happy to find out that one of my legs was shorter than the other...) Let's see how the slimy doctors explain away your perfect bloodwork results.

One of the benefits to living without bread, or any grains at all, is the slow but steady improvement in how I see and interact with the world. For most of my life, Muxel, I ate everything that I was actually allergic to, and it made me miserable, crazy, and saddled with a very bad attitude about life and people. If someone told me back then that all of that misery could be eased by eating a different diet, I would have heaped up sarcasm and ridicule on that person.

Every day I wake up now, is living proof to me that its true: I've gone from living with a pain level that was a constant 4 out of 10, to a low 2 out of 10. Some days are even pain free.

What feels miraculous to me? The change in attitude. I can still have a very negative view of humanity in general. The longer I keep my diet strictly Paleo, the more this improves. Now that I can actually stand up straight? My outlook is even better. This makes it easier for the stresses of daily life to fall off my back like water off a duck, so I'm able to be present for my loved ones. That's priceless. :flowers: When you're happy and mean it, it eases the burdens of other people on a primal level. It's encouragement to stick to the diet that means far more to me than a smaller dress size.

The doctor I'm seeing is new to me. I know its easy to write them all off as mindless robots, but I've learned over the years to look at the Leviathan they are all up against...its not up to me to make excuses for how they deal with that. It is up to me to take responsibility for my health, so that's what I do.

As much as I can, I work with the doctors and therapists that are doing what they can to help me. At this point in life, the doctors appear to have the same idea: if I'm doing something that is working, and the tests show that its working, no one is going to say I shouldn't keep doing it. (Will they keep testing to be sure its still working? Sure. That's part of the job.)

:rockon:

Muxel said:
[quote author=Session August 20, 2011]A: It reflects a balance. That is, no gluttony, respect for the gifts of the goddess blood.
That's why I feel it's wrong to take pleasure in eating, because that's taking it out of the context of "balance". Especially when we must kill to eat. IMO hunger-satiation is pathological, and we must be in the middle ground, where we feel neither hunger nor satiation; a stasis. Like the ancient solemn food ceremonies. Not the present-day "Gawd I'm soooo hungry OMG that smells SO good".
[/quote]

I don't think it's wrong to have the sensation, food-wise, of satiation after eating. It is simply part of how our bodies work, and assigning moral values to automatic sensations in themselves does not make sense.

Furthermore, if someone would eat a bit less just to avoid feeling satiated, thinking that this in itself was somehow more 'spiritual', I think this would be just as deluded as the 'spirituality' of vegetarians who feel themselves better simply for not eating meat. Because hunger is simply an automatic response, one with the purpose of signaling a physical need, and satiation is likewise just an automatic response signaling that the need has been wholly fulfilled. In that, there's not really much to philosophize about.

I think following these indications provided by the body for the fulfilling of its basic needs for maintenance is just natural, normal, and healthy.

On the other hand, "comfort eating", following cravings induced by a pathological diet and a corresponding pathological body chemistry, or generally stuffing yourself far beyond the needs signaled by a healthy body - these would be another matter, neither healthy, normal, nor respectful.

Gimpy said:
The doctor I'm seeing is new to me. I know its easy to write them all off as mindless robots, but I've learned over the years to look at the Leviathan they are all up against...its not up to me to make excuses for how they deal with that. It is up to me to take responsibility for my health, so that's what I do.

Well said :)

Endymion said:
I decided to try butter tea . . . wow! It's so satisfying and warming. I made it with a strong black tea, plenty of butter and a half tsp of xylitol, whisked vigorously. Yesterday I did my first full day back at work, and an extra hour early this morning, so I've been pretty tired today, but the butter tea gave me some energy and woke me up! It seems to promote a clear head. No wonder the Tibetans like it. Makes me wonder if they actually need to eat any solids if they drink several cups of butter tea every day. It's a really good way of getting extra fat into the body.

I know! This concoction is one of my favorites by far. It's simply amazing to me how my mood switched after drinking butter tea. I was battling some pretty heavy depression for a while and I tried 5-HTP and other supplements and nothing really dented it. But this butter tea just lifted me right up. Hard to say if it was the cause but it was definitely correlated! Like you say, it really seems to promote a clear head.

Hesper said:
Endymion said:

I know! This concoction is one of my favorites by far. It's simply amazing to me how my mood switched after drinking butter tea. I was battling some pretty heavy depression for a while and I tried 5-HTP and other supplements and nothing really dented it. But this butter tea just lifted me right up. Hard to say if it was the cause but it was definitely correlated! Like you say, it really seems to promote a clear head.

If you are eating grass fed butter, which is rich in omega 3, that may be the reason. Omega 3 can greatly affect mood. From: _http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200301/omega-3s-boosting-mood

British scientists gave a group of patients with stubborn depression a daily dose of EPA. After three months, over two thirds of the group reported a 50% reduction in their symptoms—particularly feelings of sadness and pessimism, inability to work, sleeplessness and low libido. All of the patients had previously tried other medications, including Prozac, other SSRIs and tricyclic antidepressants, the researchers reported in the Archives of General Psychiatry.
"This is one of the largest potential associations of a nutrient with depression," says Joseph Hibbeln, M.D., a psychiatrist at the National Institutes of Health who has pioneered research into the diet-depression link. "The important issue in this study is that the omega-3 worked above and beyond the antidepressants."

Healthy brains and nerve cells depend on omega-3s because the nervous system is made mostly of fat. The signals that travel through our flesh—feelings, thoughts, commands to our bodies—skip along cells and their arms sheathed in fat.

But not just any fat. Omega-3 essential fatty acids are one of the basic building blocks of the brain. Brain cell membranes are about 20 percent fatty acids and they seem to be crucial for keeping brain signals moving smoothly. Doctors call this class of fat "essential" because, unlike many nutrients, our bodies cannot produce it. We can get it only from very specific parts of our diets.
(...)

A few months ago I started taking plenty of fish and cod liver oil in liquid form. I'm taking more then the amount recommended in the bottles. I noticed that my mood, which is geneally good, skyrocketed!

Mrs. Peel said:
Gimpy said:
Smoke em, if ya got em, folks...I know I will be. :headbanger:

As one of the non-smoking minority here, I'll eat a piece of bacon for you instead!!! :lol:

Same here, (minority) great news Gimpy, thanks for sharing!
Tomorrow double bacon!

Gertrudes said:
Hesper said:
Endymion said:

If you are eating grass fed butter, which is rich in omega 3, that may be the reason. Omega 3 can greatly affect mood. From: _http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200301/omega-3s-boosting-mood

I think we might be overlooking the obvious here - it's probably the caffeine. Caffeine is a stimulant and may have a positive effect on mood in the short term in some people.

To be honest, I'm pretty skeptical of the whole caffeinated tea thing. Caffeine is a plant defense mechanism, a neurostimulant that I don't think is very good for humans. Maybe the beneficial anti-inflammatory effects of tea outweigh the negatives from caffeine. That's certainly possible. But given how good I felt after getting off coffee and my continued difficulty with the habit-forming tendencies of dark chocolate, I'm going to issue a "be careful" warning in regards to black tea.

Just my 2 cents.

Gimpy said:
Without grains, bread, or even veggies I feel better, have less pain, and am slowly gaining ground with my mind. :dance: :scooter:

This is excellent news, Gimpy! I had a patient in my office on Monday, who has MS and is in a wheelchair. I asked her if she had an email and if she would be interested in some articles on how to improve her MS with diet. She said yes and gave me her email. The same day, I emailed the articles, only to have it returned as UNDELIVERABLE. I was stunned, the woman gave me a bogus email! :nuts: I guess some folks love their own misery.

[quote author=Gimpy]
The new Physical therapist I'm seeing pointed out to me that my right leg is an inch or more shorter than my left leg. He put lifts in my right shoe, and I was able to walk, for the first time in over 10 years, without pain!
[/quote]

Wow! No previous physical therapists found this difference? Again, I am stunned. But so happy someone finally noticed and was able to give you such instant relief!!! Smoking one here for you, Gimpy! :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom