"Life Without Bread"

Laura said:
The guys here tried the cream and had very bad stomach reactions, so I guess that is out.

Same here. I don't know if I just overdid it in quantity, but I drank 500mL of organic 35% cream yesterday and, although it was delicious, it sat like a rock in my stomach, not digesting. When I woke up this morning it felt like it was still there so I didn't eat until lunch when I actually got hungry. It might be the kind of thing you need to re-introduce slowly, but I don't know if I'm going to bother with another experiment.

I've viewed this thread now for awhile and I think I'll start to eat lot's of meat and fett and low carb.
yesterday I only have eaten meat and It seemed to have an good effect on me and my body.
the gut feeling was quite good (no full feeling in my gut)

Aragorn said:
I just got an advertising email from the health shop I buy stuff from time to time and I noticed that they were selling a food intolerance 'home kit'. It's called Food Detective, here's some info from their website, _http://www.camnutri.com/food-detective-c-23.html

Funny you should mention this Aragorn, I came across it last year, they are UK based aren't they? It is a blood test, so it might have some reasonable degree of accuracy. I'm not sure really.

Aragorn said:
The price through this Finnish vendor is 92euros. It would be interesting to try this out, but I'm not sure how reliable this kit is. Has anyone tried anything similar?

In this site: _http://www.bodykind.com/product/1327_169-Food-Detective-Food-Intolerance-Test-Kit.aspx?Referer=Froogle_Food-Detective-Food-Intolerance-Test-Kit&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=price%20comparison&utm_campaign=Food-Detective-Food-Intolerance-Test-Kit

you can order it for £44.45, which is around 51Euros.

The test might be helpful, I thought of doing it myself a couple of times. Although I tend to think that doing our own individual testing is the most important, and perhaps with more accurate, yet much slower, results.

Gertrudes said:
Aragorn said:
I just got an advertising email from the health shop I buy stuff from time to time and I noticed that they were selling a food intolerance 'home kit'. It's called Food Detective, here's some info from their website, _http://www.camnutri.com/food-detective-c-23.html

Funny you should mention this Aragorn, I came across it last year, they are UK based aren't they? It is a blood test, so it might have some reasonable degree of accuracy. I'm not sure really.

Aragorn said:
The price through this Finnish vendor is 92euros. It would be interesting to try this out, but I'm not sure how reliable this kit is. Has anyone tried anything similar?

In this site: _http://www.bodykind.com/product/1327_169-Food-Detective-Food-Intolerance-Test-Kit.aspx?Referer=Froogle_Food-Detective-Food-Intolerance-Test-Kit&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=price%20comparison&utm_campaign=Food-Detective-Food-Intolerance-Test-Kit

you can order it for £44.45, which is around 51Euros.

The test might be helpful, I thought of doing it myself a couple of times. Although I tend to think that doing our own individual testing is the most important, and perhaps with more accurate, yet much slower, results.

Maybe it is also a way to look for an easy way to check things out, imo. At least it occurred to me as I thought about these things a longer time ago. The body should now best imo. :)

Pashalis said:
I've viewed this thread now for awhile and I think I'll start to eat lot's of meat and fett and low carb.
yesterday I only have eaten meat and It seemed to have an good effect on me and my body.
the gut feeling was quite good (no full feeling in my gut)

Maybe drink some milk thistle (Mariendiestel-Früchtetee in German) tea as well, so that the liver gets up to speed again.

Legolas said:
Maybe drink some milk thistle (Mariendiestel-Früchtetee in German) tea as well, so that the liver gets up to speed again.

thanks. do you use it also ?

LadyRodgers said:
But I’m also very sore in my joints, but maybe this is because I’m looser and my neck and back are “popping” a lot. I just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this.

Yes, same here. But then, I've been noticing that since before going on the low-carb diet.

Gertrudes said:
In the link Psyche has posted some members have reported feeling sore joints, it seems that this is mainly due to having too much protein and not enough fat.

I've woken up on two occasions now with searing cramp pains in my calves. The first time, I actually jumped out of bed and began hollering 'in Jesus name' for the pain to stop! He must have heard me cause my calf slowly settled back in to place. From time to time my kidneys feel sore. Is that due to a build-up of uric acid? The 'organic' meat I've been getting from regular stores is far too lean - it's practically fat-free. Thankfully I've found an organic butcher nearby, so I'm going to get the fattiest cuts of meat I can from them!

Psyche said:
I just don't get hungry, so I end up eating breakfast and one more meal.

Same here, I'm eating just two meals a day. But the first meal is really two in one.

Laura said:
What do ya'll think about this further experimentation?

I'm back eating eggs - two fried in the leftover bacon fact with breakfast :) I'll be praying that eggs are a go for you!

I think I'll reintroduce nuts first and see how that goes.

Laura said:
Yes, everybody has to navigate a little bit their own system and situation, but overall, it's the same result across the board.

The guys here tried the cream and had very bad stomach reactions, so I guess that is out.

Well, I ate a big dose of cream yesterday and a medium-sized dose today, and I noticed no strange stomach problems. Mentally (which is where it usually hits me) I felt mostly okay. But then it's hard to tell what effect the cream had since I've felt so out of sorts these days, anyway.

Them ribs sure was yummy! Gobs of tasty fat, especially on the crunchy skin. Totally edible, and I really can't stand chewy fat!

Kniall said:
I've woken up on two occasions now with searing cramp pains in my calves. The first time, I actually jumped out of bed and began hollering 'in Jesus name' for the pain to stop! He must have heard me cause my calf slowly settled back in to place. From time to time my kidneys feel sore. Is that due to a build-up of uric acid? The 'organic' meat I've been getting from regular stores is far too lean - it's practically fat-free. Thankfully I've found an organic butcher nearby, so I'm going to get the fattiest cuts of meat I can from them!

I had the same problem with leg cramps at night, but it went away when Psyche prescribed L-Carnitine capsules. I think that's what it was. Worked like a charm!
I don't take it every day, but I'm sure to take 1 capsule after working out. Seems to work like magic.

dugdeep said:
Laura said:

Same here. I don't know if I just overdid it in quantity, but I drank 500mL of organic 35% cream yesterday and, although it was delicious, it sat like a rock in my stomach, not digesting. When I woke up this morning it felt like it was still there so I didn't eat until lunch when I actually got hungry. It might be the kind of thing you need to re-introduce slowly, but I don't know if I'm going to bother with another experiment.

That is a lot of cream dugdeep, :lol:

I didn't try the cream yet and judging from the reaction it caused I may stay clear of it but, yesterday was market day and I decided to try goat cheese from one of the retailer. We bought maybe 250 gram of the fattest available and added some of it to a salad with smoked salmon and neither me or my daughter add any reaction. The last time I tried milk product last year, a yogurt, I add stomach cramp after so, stayed clear of it since and my daughter is very sensitive to milk product.

Mr. Scott said:
Kniall said:

I had the same problem with leg cramps at night, but it went away when Psyche prescribed L-Carnitine capsules. I think that's what it was. Worked like a charm, and I don't take it every day, but I'm sure to take 1 capsule after working out. Seems to work like magic.

I've been having a lot of god-awful leg cramps at night as well. Now I know what to do about it.Is pottasium good for this as well?
You mentioned a prescription from Psyche--can I find L-Carnitine at an Organic vitamin store or online? Same here with organic meat being too lean--I am now searching out an organic butcher. We found someone with porkchops and they are going to not cut off the fat. I can hardly wait to have pork ribs!
I have had the same complaints mentioned by others on the forum due to too much meat and not enough fat...fatigue, aches and pains, foggy brain, no energy--for the last month. Now that there is slowly entering more fat, I look forward to these symptoms disappearing! We often have a breakfast of bacon, eggs, sausage and sometimes blinis. I have been making a rich gravy with lamb or pork fat and buckwheat flour. The search is still on for organic lard, and I bought a duck and will see how much duck fat I get.
I'm on my way to stopping all sugars. The only sweetener I am going to have from now on is Xylitol--with coconut milk, coconut oil and organic cocoa powder made into a mousse. Maybe after increasing the fats, the urge for sweet will lessen.
I sure do want to try some high fat cream and some high fat goat cheese! ;)

SolarMother said:
Mr. Scott said:
Kniall said:

I had the same problem with leg cramps at night, but it went away when Psyche prescribed L-Carnitine capsules. I think that's what it was. Worked like a charm, and I don't take it every day, but I'm sure to take 1 capsule after working out. Seems to work like magic.

You mentioned a prescription from Psyche--can I find L-Carnitine at an Organic vitamin store or online? Same here with organic meat being too lean--I am now searching out an organic butcher. We found someone with porkchops and they are going to not cut off the fat. I can hardly wait to have pork ribs!

Have a look here, where you can find some websites which are selling supplements

Pashalis said:
Legolas said:

thanks. do you use it also ?

When I don't forget it, then yes.

SolarMother said:

Hi Solar Mother,

Since apparently you are still in the process of getting on the diet in full, it might be best to hold off on testing dairy till you've been on it full bore for at least a year. Remember, the Chateau folk have been eating this way for nearly three years. It's pretty sure Laura would not have been able to tolerate the small amount of the foods she mentioned if she hadn't had all that time to allow her body to detox and heal. You may not have to put in that much time, but a year would allow for many beneficial changes. Remember that dairy (and gluten) can take six months to clear the system.
Another six months, at the least, to allow the body to repair the damage is not an unreasonable amount of time.

herondancer said:
SolarMother said:

Hi Solar Mother,

Since apparently you are still in the process of getting on the diet in full, it might be best to hold off on testing dairy till you've been on it full bore for at least a year. Remember, the Chateau folk have been eating this way for nearly three years. It's pretty sure Laura would not have been able to tolerate the small amount of the foods she mentioned if she hadn't had all that time to allow her body to detox and heal. You may not have to put in that much time, but a year would allow for many beneficial changes. Remember that dairy (and gluten) can take six months to clear the system.
Another six months, at the least, to allow the body to repair the damage is not an unreasonable amount of time.

I completely agree with this. I don't think this 'experimentation' should be read as "oh good, cheese is back on the menu." It requires a lot of healing before you can get to the point of experimenting with these things again. Any leaky gut, candida or auto-immune issues will definitely be worsened if you introduce something like dairy prematurely. After eliminating all the evil stuff for a year or so AND being low carb for at least a few months, allowing the gut to heal and getting rid of candida, maybe the body will be ready to carefully reintroduce some old foods that were on the "no list".

I'd also say that those who were discussing what kind of creamer to put in their coffee earlier in the thread - coffee is definitely inflammatory; caffeine is a plant-derived irritant that defends the plant against predators (it just happens to give people a buzz). It's essentially an insecticide, although a natural one. If you're still drinking coffee, you still have an inflamed gut and probably an imbalance of bacteria (dysbiosis). I wouldn't dream of adding dairy back into a terrain like that. Until you're off coffee for a long time, a year or more, giving the gut time to heal, I'd stay away from other problem foods. Otherwise, you're probably looking at starting again at square one.

My 2 cents.

SolarMother said:
I've been having a lot of god-awful leg cramps at night as well. Now I know what to do about it.Is pottasium good for this as well?
You mentioned a prescription from Psyche--can I find L-Carnitine at an Organic vitamin store or online?

L-carnitine supplementation is recommended during the first few weeks if there is muscular cramping. As the body adjusts to the high protein diet, it will be able to derive all the L-carnitine from the meat.

L-carnitine is the amino acid that helps carry fat into the mitochondria, where it will be used as an energy source:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=22916.msg252980#msg252980

Fatty acids are transported into the mitochondria completely intact. L-carnitine is the compound necessary to transport medium-and large-sized fatty acids inside the mitochondria from the cell soup (called cytosol). Think of L-carnitine as a subway train that brings people into the city from the suburbs; likewise, L-carnitine brings fats into the mitochondria. L-carnitine is chiefly found in animal products. (Its name is derived from the Greek word carnis, meaning "meat" or "flesh.") L-carnitine is one of many very important substances that are only found in appreciable quantities in animal foods, which is another reason to eat foods derived from animals. We will discuss more of these substances throughout the book, particularly in the chapter on vitamins and minerals.

The recommended dose is of 500 to 1,000 mg per day of acetyl-L-carnitine.

Potassium and magnesium are also extremely helpful.

dugdeep said:
Sorry RedFox but I am a bit confused here. When you talk about 300g of meat or 300g of protein, there is a huge difference.

For example: using the USDA Nutrient Data Lab online search directory (_http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/nal_display/index.php?info_center=4&tax_level=1&tax_subject=279), for a 450g (1lbs) of cooked 72% lean ground pork, we have 101g of protein and 141g of fat. So, in order to reach 300g of protein, you would need to eat 1,350g (3 lbs) of ground pork!

Gotta agree with Nicolas here, RedFox. There is a huge difference between 300g of meat and 300g of protein, as his example illustrates. I'm usually eating 300g or more of meat at a single meal. I think the concern of 'rabbit starvation' is going a little overboard here. If you're eating a lot of fat, I don't think it's really a concern and you'll definitely start to show some very real symptoms before it becomes much of an issue (insatiable appetite, for one).

FWIW
[/quote]

Whoops! I totally miss read that, sorry for any confusion :-[

Mr. Scott said:
Laura said:
Yes, everybody has to navigate a little bit their own system and situation, but overall, it's the same result across the board.

Well, I ate a big dose of cream yesterday and a medium-sized dose today, and I noticed no strange stomach problems. Mentally (which is where it usually hits me) I felt mostly okay. But then it's hard to tell what effect the cream had since I've felt so out of sorts these days, anyway.

fwiw I tried out clotted cream (65% fat) over the last few day (lemon and cream chicken, and today I had blueberries with 100g of cream for breakfast). With no noticeable problems so far (no upset stomach or joint pain) - I do however feel slightly wired/on edge, but am unsure if that was the cream or a broken nights sleep the day before. So I'm going to avoid it for a while (a few months) and test again, and repeat a few times (with a months break) paying strict attention to my mood and cognition to see if it is effecting me in other ways. It would be useful to have it as a source of fat, but I'm not convinced yet (especially because of how 'tasty' it was).
I'll try the same with butter, for the moment though I'll stick with ghee and goose/duck fat.

Back
Top Bottom