Liver pate.

parallel said:
Eboard10 said:
When you say cups, how much would that approximately be in grams?
236.58824 grams :)
Lots of conversion calculators online btw.

Actually you can't make a straight volume-to-weight conversion like this as it depends first of all on the units of measurement and then on the density of the measured product. What you posted there simply looks like the standard volume of one US customary cup (which is precisely 236.58824 mL).

The general desity of lard as I have found has been set to 216.62 grams per metric cup (250 mL). So that would mean that lard has a density of 0.86648 gram per mL. Note that the density value may change from one source to another. Another one I found said 0.772 g/cm3 (which is quite diffrent) so I'll do both conversions for the sake of it. Average density from both value is of 0.819 g/mL.

So here are the approximate results considering those values. The diffrences in density values may be explained by the lard's composition, the way it was measured/determined and the lard's phase (either solid of liquid). Unfortunately, I don't have these informations (especially if it's the solid or liquid density) in regards to the values I found (although it shouldn't make much of a diffrence for cooking purposes). So just take it as a mere approximation.

You'll have: volume = weight @ 0.86648 g/mL // weight @ 0.772 g/mL => average

- One metric cup (250mL) = 216.62g // 193g => 204.81g

- One US cup (236.6mL) = 205g // 182.66g => 193.83g

Hope it clarifies things a bit.

Cheers.

I don't get the creamy texture, in fact I got a cream with hard particles in it. I also noted that if I cook the liver more that 20 minutes in the lard at low heat it got "rubbery". I have used pig and cow liver. I am thinking in cook the liver in boiling water and then mix it with the lard in the mixer with the species.

Galaxia2002 said:
I don't get the creamy texture, in fact I got a cream with hard particles in it. I also noted that if I cook the liver more that 20 minutes in the lard at low heat it got "rubbery". I have used pig and cow liver. I am thinking in cook the liver in boiling water and then mix it with the lard in the mixer with the species.

Did you soak the liver in vinegar first? That does the trick for us, but you need to leave it for about an hour or two. Then, you can cook it at low heat for as long as you need to, and it blends up nicely, giving the creamy textuxe if you want that.

Ailén said:
Galaxia2002 said:

Did you soak the liver in vinegar first? That does the trick for us, but you need to leave it for about an hour or two. Then, you can cook it at low heat for as long as you need to, and it blends up nicely, giving the creamy textuxe if you want that.

I leave it soaked in vinegar and olive oil by half an hour, that could be the problem! thank you Ailén.

I made my first batch of this (about three quarts - liters). Came out great. I used beef tallow that I made from grass-fed beef suet. I bought the grass fed beef (stew beef, marrow bones and suet) from here: http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/

Good prices and excellent customer service. They called me before Hurricane Sandy and said they would wait a week to ship in case the shipment got stuck somewhere, then called me again before shipping to make sure I had power. The meat arrived in an insulated box still frozen. They also have good nutritional advice on their website.

I finally got around to making a batch of this. I only had a cup of leaf lard available but it was enough to cover the liver (about 1lb.) in my cast iron. My pate came out really dark though instead of the lighter color as shown in the pictures. It looks more like dog food and in fact the dog went bananas to try some when it was done. Some minor tweaking could probably be done to get the spices to my preference but overall it works well especially under a couple eggs in the morning! :D

ScottD said:
I finally got around to making a batch of this.

So did I. I just made the first batch of Liver Pate yesterday. ( Ailen's recipe although I used real onions and garlic -very little amount)

Liver was never the part of my diet before as well as french "pate" dish. I was curious to try it on my own since a lot of people like it so much.

My pate came out very nicely. When I tried it, it tasted unlike anything that I have tasted before. It happend that after eating more scoops, I could not stop!
It is very fatty, delicious, and satisfying that I am starting to like it more. :P

It definitely has an unusual taste but very savory. I considered using a fresh onion and garlic as well but maybe next time. I wanted to stick with the recipe this time before I modified anything. Hopefully next time it won't be so dark!

Cooking it too hot or not using enough lard can cause the pate to come out dark. Make sure you don't cook it too hot or else the lard will cook off, which you'll notice by seeing foam on the surface. You want it to be just bubbling while it's cooking.

ScottD said:
It definitely has an unusual taste but very savory. I considered using a fresh onion and garlic as well but maybe next time. I wanted to stick with the recipe this time before I modified anything. Hopefully next time it won't be so dark!

Yes I have the same problem vary savory but I think I missed the bacon, I can´t eat bacon anymore here because all have gluten :headbash:n and I really didnt have time to begin to made on my own ( I really missed), so the flavor of my pate is not good!!!! This week I´ll try to made more to see if the flavor improve; maybe I can use pieces of pork instead bacon???? :P

zim said:
ScottD said:

Yes I have the same problem vary savory but I think I missed the bacon, I can´t eat bacon anymore here because all have gluten :headbash:n and I really didnt have time to begin to made on my own ( I really missed), so the flavor of my pate is not good!!!! This week I´ll try to made more to see if the flavor improve; maybe I can use pieces of pork instead bacon???? :P
The best thing to add if you can't add bacon would be what's called salt pork.

Ailén said:
Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

1 porc(veal) liver (or a mixture of liver, chest and throat - we get it from the butcher, already ground, and it's super cheap)
10 slices of smoked bacon
2 cups lard
1 tbs salt
1 tsp pepper
A pinch of ground nutmeg
1 tsp thym
1tsp dried garlic
1 tsp dried onion
(you can modify the quantity of spices according to your personal taste)

Instructions:

1. If you have only liver, cut it into small pieces and let it marinade in vinegar, olive oil and salt for at least 1 hour. Rince. (This is in order to soften the liver and make your paté have a more creamy consistency)

If you have a mix of liver, throat and chest, ignore this step. The mix is better if you don't like how liver tastes. But both are yummy if you do!

2. Pour the lard into a big pot, and add the liver or mix. Add the slices of bacon. Cook at low temperature for about 1 hour. Let if cool down.

3. Mix in a food processor until you have a paste, or a bit less if you prefer your liver to have solid pieces of meat. Add the spices to the paste. Taste and make adjustments with your spices according on your personal taste.

4. Refrigerate, or process for storage (all tips about the latter are posted in the Preparedness thread.

I tried this recipe yesterday.

Yes it has an unusual flavor for me, but it is still delicious...
I ate a little bit of it in some ham roles and felt satisfied quite fast (4 small roles of ham filled with a little bit of it was like having a whole meal). :lol:

Thanks for the recipe! I will be doing it more often... ;)

Best wishes!

Unfortunately I forgot to put my pate in plastic so that I could freeze it and I still have to jars of it in the fridge. In the upper part where it is colder, sometimes the food even freezes there.

I know that for a good conservation one has to do everything really carefully in order to avoid contact with microorganisms. I still don't have a canner but I'll buy one ASAP...

It is one week now since I've done them... Once I finished the pate, I've put it directly into the CLEAN jars, closed them and put them into the fridge. (This area which is the coldest)

I'm thinking of cooking something with it for all the family in order to use it before it rottens. :D

So, I wanted to know... For how long do you think it might last in a closed jar in a very cold place like the one I mentioned?

Do you think I still have some days to use it or has it been too long already?

Cheers!

Acid Yazz said:
Unfortunately I forgot to put my pate in plastic so that I could freeze it and I still have to jars of it in the fridge. In the upper part where it is colder, sometimes the food even freezes there.

I know that for a good conservation one has to do everything really carefully in order to avoid contact with microorganisms. I still don't have a canner but I'll buy one ASAP...

It is one week now since I've done them... Once I finished the pate, I've put it directly into the CLEAN jars, closed them and put them into the fridge. (This area which is the coldest)

I'm thinking of cooking something with it for all the family in order to use it before it rottens. :D

So, I wanted to know... For how long do you think it might last in a closed jar in a very cold place like the one I mentioned?

I keep mine in the fridge for around 2 weeks in a glass tupperware bowl and have never noticed an odd smell or taste, so yours should be fine after a week.

Heimdallr said:
Acid Yazz said:

I keep mine in the fridge for around 2 weeks in a glass tupperware bowl and have never noticed an odd smell or taste, so yours should be fine after a week.

The high fat content will preserve it for a longer period as well.

Back
Top Bottom