New Objective:Health Episode: The Hidden Dangers of Oxalates in Your Food‌ - Interview With Sally K. Norton

ScioAgapeOmnis

The Living Force
On some of the websites in this thread some foods are oddly placed. Celery and cauliflower are on opposite spectrums here:

Oxalate content of foods

But seem very similar here:

Oxalate Content of 750+ Foods

So just be careful about arbitrary categorizations - it may be deceiving. Some use "serving size" (an arbitrary thing), others use an actual weighted amount, and others don't even tell you how they're categorizing, what threshold they use for high/low/medium. Oxalate.org seems more clear/objective though, assuming it's accurate of course.

Anyways, great show guys! I think keto/paleo is still fully doable with this in mind, as there are plenty of low oxalate options that aren't simply meat. I'd think for many people it may be enough to just eliminate the worst offenders - it just depends on your general health etc.

Keyhole

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
On some of the websites in this thread some foods are oddly placed. Celery and cauliflower are on opposite spectrums here:

Oxalate content of foods

So just be careful about arbitrary categorizations - it may be deceiving. Some use "serving size" (an arbitrary thing), others use an actual weighted amount, and others don't even tell you how they're categorizing, what threshold they use for high/low/medium. Oxalate.org seems more clear/objective though, assuming it's accurate of course.

Anyways, great show guys! I think keto/paleo is still fully doable with this in mind, as there are plenty of low oxalate options that aren't simply meat. I'd think for many people it may be enough to just eliminate the worst offenders - it just depends on your general health etc.
Totally agree. If someone is in good health, they can also probably tolerate 150mg/200mg just fine.

On the other hand, if someone has any kind of autoimmunity, gut issues, or anything like that... I wouldn't risk going higher than 150mg/day.

In any case, liberal amounts of 90% dark chocolate (like a whole bar), spinach salads, and nut flours are likely always problematic... there's just no need to traumatize the body like that in my opinion.

luc

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
That was really great guys, thanks a lot! And Sally was awesome.

While I think we should be careful not to proclaim the next "health super-villain", the "root of all evil" (it always turned out to be more complicated than that with other "super-villains" so far), the whole oxalate thing seems to be an important part of the puzzle.

It might also explain a few things I noticed. For example, I just feel miserable after eating chocolate, unless it's in veeery small quantities. I always blamed the carbs, but there's hardly anything in it in the 80+ percent variety. And other carby foods I tolerate much better.

What I noticed especially since doing carnivore is how strong I react to raw food, such as mixed salads etc. Terrible! Now it makes more sense, because not only are many of those things among the worst offenders, but cooking apparently helps getting rid of at least some of the oxalates.

I also had some minor, though very strange symptoms showing up after starting carnivore that might be related. But we said from the very beginning that we'll "cheat" on social occasions, such as when we're invited or have guests, in which case we eat regular paleo and even potatoes, rice and such things. Turns out that maybe that was a good thing in terms of oxalate detox - have 2-4 days a month on average where you're still getting some oxalate so that the body isn't overwhelmed.

Thanks again for the fascinating show!

Voyageur

The Living Force
FOTCM Member

Totally agree. If someone is in good health, they can also probably tolerate 150mg/200mg just fine
Thanks for the links.

Had a look and a quick scan of 50 or so of the 750 (quantity not added) which provides a snapshot (Black Pepper is now un-friended):

Almond - 407.3 mg
Black Pepper, Pepper, White Pepper - 3400 mg
Buckwheat (Leaf) - 11100 mg
Cacao – 500 mg
Carambola, Star Fruit - 5000-9580 mg
Cashew – 318.4 mg
Carrot, raw – 6 mg
Chives - 1480 mg
Garlic - 360 mg
Lettuce – 330 mg
Onions – 0 mg
Parsley - 1700 mg

anartist

Jedi Master
FOTCM Member
Interesting, because I always take NAC with vit C, which is a precursor to glutathione.
When I receive Calcium EDTA IV detox at my IV Detox clinic, they give me a by hand syringe injection of glutathione beforehand, and also give me a glass of water with glycine! They also give a glas of water mixed with a bitter substance which I don't know the name of. However, when I have gotten IV Vitamin C from them, there is no glutathione of glycine given.

manitoban

SuperModerator
FOTCM Member
A bit late, but I just watched the show and this was a real eye opener to say the least. Sally is a very articulate speaker, and did a fantastic job of explaining all the health problems that oxalates can cause. And what a list it was - you have to wonder if high oxalate diets are creating an epidemic of illness. Particularly interesting was how Sally said wherever the body has been damaged or is weak is where the crystals might store themselves - that could account for so many health problems. The worst part being that people tend to go high oxalate when they are actually trying to eat "healthy" foods! I've done it too, stevia, tea, yes ugh spinach, you name it, I ate it. I'm sure this has contributed to some of the health issues I've had over the years.

I think at one point she also said something about high oxalate diets and vaccines being the biggest cause of autoimmune disease. When you think about the current insane push for more and more vaccines AND for veganism/plant based diets, well we can see where this is going - Everyone is going to get autoimmune issues if they follow medical advice!!

All in all a tremendously informative show, great job guys!

Top Bottom