Organic Portals: Human variation

Re: Organic Portals - Are they dangerous?

hithere said:
I have a theory about one way to identify OPs consisting of observing their tendency to copy trends that they believe to be necessary, in order to not stand out in the crowd. Can be religion, fashion, rage over some event/Tea Party, etc.
I find that they tend to project a simplistic acceptance of the notion that all that matters in this life is presented to you through your eyes and ears. No real signs of inner refinement and development of concepts, just passing on the fad, being part of the crowd. M2C. :)

Only problem with that theory is that a wounded souled individual could very well behave the same way. The pressure to fit in, the desire for acceptance, these are things that most people deal with. This is why making "Spot The OP" lists is so difficult and typically advised against.

Re: Organic Portals - Are they dangerous?

Heimdallr said:
hithere said:
I have a theory about one way to identify OPs consisting of observing their tendency to copy trends that they believe to be necessary, in order to not stand out in the crowd. Can be religion, fashion, rage over some event/Tea Party, etc.
I find that they tend to project a simplistic acceptance of the notion that all that matters in this life is presented to you through your eyes and ears. No real signs of inner refinement and development of concepts, just passing on the fad, being part of the crowd. M2C. :)

Only problem with that theory is that a wounded souled individual could very well behave the same way. The pressure to fit in, the desire for acceptance, these are things that most people deal with. This is why making "Spot The OP" lists is so difficult and typically advised against.

I agree, there are lots of exceptions to this; it's merely a observing tool I have, trying to make progress in recognizing behavioural patterns. And I realize now that my phrasing makes it seem like it is possible to identify OP's, which is something I never have achieved with any degree of certainity at all. Sorry about the noise! :-[

Dirk said:
Thanks for the clarifications. Do they have free will or is the point that they can't cultivate that?

Nobody has free will until they cultivate it. Even those who work on it seldom achieve it. And when you do, it is still within limits of the reality you occupy.

Laura said:
Dirk said:
Thanks for the clarifications. Do they have free will or is the point that they can't cultivate that?

Nobody has free will until they cultivate it. Even those who work on it seldom achieve it. And when you do, it is still within limits of the reality you occupy.

I understand; and I am aware of this, but I feel the potential in myself and I can recall moments of true wakeness and true free will. But do OP's have the same potential or will they be 'machine' without free will forever?

Just curious Laura; do you have an estimate of what percentage of time you are awake and acting out of free will as opposed to being asleep and acting mechanically?

Dirk said:
Laura said:

I understand; and I am aware of this, but I feel the potential in myself and I can recall moments of true wakeness and true free will. But do OP's have the same potential or will they be 'machine' without free will forever?

Probably what you feel is illusion - the tale of the Evil Magician might be appropriate here...

Dirk said:
Just curious Laura; do you have an estimate of what percentage of time you are awake and acting out of free will as opposed to being asleep and acting mechanically?

Like everyone else, I only have free will within certain narrow parameters. I doubt that a "percentage" would apply. If you mean how much of each day am I awake? Well, I'm asleep only when I forget death just behind my left shoulder and I'm pretty much aware of that all the time. When you fully understand the terror of the situation, and that stays with you day and night, you are awake. And, before you ask, that doesn't mean you are afraid. But that awareness fuels your activity; it is the force behind dedication and constant external considering.

Laura said:
Probably what you feel is illusion - the tale of the Evil Magician might be appropriate here...

Possible. I will have to find out. I do, however, have read "The Power of Now" by Tolle about 4 times, "A New Earth" about 3 times, "Awareness" about 10 times and recently Gurdjieff who talks about Self-Remembering which I know is extremely hard to do and costs a lot of effort. I realize I am asleep most of the time, but I wake up sometimes where my mind goes still, where I remember myself and see things in a totally different light. At such moments it also feels like I can consciously direct or redirect my decisions and also have the power to do so. But most of the time some external circumstance is so strong that pulls me back in my old behaviour. I see where I need to go, however, so that I can protect myself much better from such influences. This will be a great struggle.

Dirk said:

Laura said:
Like everyone else, I only have free will within certain narrow parameters. I doubt that a "percentage" would apply. If you mean how much of each day am I awake? Well, I'm asleep only when I forget death just behind my left shoulder and I'm pretty much aware of that all the time. When you fully understand the terror of the situation, and that stays with you day and night, you are awake. And, before you ask, that doesn't mean you are afraid. But that awareness fuels your activity; it is the force behind dedication and constant external considering.

Do you ever feel truly happy, inspired and free?

Dirk said:

Actually, all the time. It goes with being aware of the terror of the situation. It's a good day to die, as Black Elk reported the braves shouted as they went into battle.

Laura said:
Dirk said:
Laura said:

Dirk said:

Perhaps a better way to look at it Dirk is to wonder if "organic portals", assuming that means people with no unified "I", have the potential to apprehend the "terror of the situation". Some part of a person existing, if only for a moment, and Seeing that they are nothing that they believe themselves to be. That they are, in fact, "nothing" from a certain perspective.

Laura said:
Dirk said:

Actually, all the time. It goes with being aware of the terror of the situation. It's a good day to die, as Black Elk reported the braves shouted as they went into battle.

Wow. Seems you got yourself in a good place.

Dirk said:
Laura said:
Dirk said:

Wow. Seems you got yourself in a good place.

I am married to the most amazing man on the planet (probably the universe) and we've never had a single disagreement in 14 years; I have the most amazing kids on the planet (universe?), the most wonderful extended family imaginable; friends, work that satisfies me (even if it is hard and stressful sometimes, it's definitely worthwhile), and I am comfortable in my skin. I could go on, but you get the idea. The only thing you can take out of this life is the good you have done for others. I keep that always in mind. If there were a god, I would be satisfied to be pronounced a "good workman" when I die.

Laura said:
Dirk said:

Just for fun, here's a different take on the usage of "Hokahey" (which Nike ripped off well) http://www.native-languages.org/iaq21.htm

Hubby and I share the same summation of life...if you leave the earth a better place you've done your job, one human being at a time, even if its only one. ;)

Coming back to this question: do OP's have the potential like a souled human being to cultivate free will?

Dirk said:
Dirk said:

Coming back to this question: do OP's have the potential like a souled human being to cultivate free will?

Dirk, if you use the search function and read the threads on OPs, you'll find your answer there.

Back
Top Bottom