Potential Food and Energy Shortage Across the World

‘No path’ forward: Biden calls on Congress to avert rail strike

President Joe Biden called Monday evening for Congress to act immediately to head off an economically crippling freight rail strike, saying there appeared to be “no path to resolve the dispute at the bargaining table.”

Soon after Biden’s statement, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi issued one of her own, endorsing the move and promising to put legislation on the House floor this week.

“A prolonged railroad shutdown will constrain the nation’s fuel supply by disrupting the availability of ethanol, which is often an essential component of gasoline, and diesel exhaust fluid, which most heavy-duty trucks need to run.”

The railroads and the four unions that have rejected the latest contract offers have until Dec. 9 to negotiate a new deal. If an agreement can’t be reached in the next few days, railroads are likely to pre-emptively stop shipping sensitive materials like ethanol and urea so that they are not stranded once a shutdown happens.
from Politio.com

Feeding 10 people a Thanksgiving dinner for about $65.? I had to go out a few days ahead just to get some odds and ends to finish up some baking for the occasion. I know I spent way more than that just on stuff like eggs, flour, sugar, cream, baking powder, and not even large quantities of anything. I also ventured out Thanksgiving morning to find something, took 3 different packed grocery stores to find it. I noticed the freezer, snacks and bakery sections in all 3 stores were pretty much bare. Maybe just because of Thanksgiving, or maybe less food is being delivered. First time I've ever seen that, except for effects of pre-hurricane/snow panic buying (which mainly affects bread, cereal and milk sections).
After some thought on the subject, the price might be about right, IF one prepares food for just 10 servings using just basic stuff. Most people prepare WAY more food than this, and number of dishes served is usually more than just the basics.

One concern about the food supply is bioengineered food. It's getting more common as an ingredient in brand named foods. And if you see a food item that catches your eye - as it is priced low - you'll check the ingredients list, and below that, a statement that says: made with bioengineered ingredients.
It is mostly in breads, or instant breakfast type drinks, or snack foods.
I can tell if I eat bioengineered food by the way my stomach cramps. It's subtle but makes you think: what did I eat? Sure enough, I'll discover it's bioengineered. So now, I'm more diligent about checking the contents of food I buy, because it's creeping in to popular products.
And you have to check the ingredients of items you always buy, because the ingredients can change. They can reverse their decisions to use cheaper ingredients because people are affected by them and stop buying.
For instance, I like cocoa, I buy the same cocoa all the time till one day my liver cramps, I know this cramping and it comes from artificial sweeteners, so I check the ingredients and it contains artificial sweeteners... They changed the ingredients!
Well, a year or two later, I'll check the store shelf again - not finding my usual cocoa - I end up checking the ingredients of alternatives and find one that uses regular ingredients - one that previously had artificial sweeteners!
So, they'll change ingredients regularly, maybe due to shortages, or making more profit. And change it back again because of customer feedback.
'Natural' is often a selling point as well as 'Nothing Artificial', something along those lines, these producers know what sells and what people want, and the only reason they would change their product is due to shortages or greed. Changing it back would require customer demand as if it is selling, why change if it is the cheapest way to manufacturer it?
So, it might seem laborious checking your items every time, but because you'll not eat food that doesn't agree with your stomach, it is necessary to check to keep food companies mindful of what consumers want.

One concern about the food supply is bioengineered food. It's getting more common as an ingredient in brand named foods. And if you see a food item that catches your eye - as it is priced low - you'll check the ingredients list, and below that, a statement that says: made with bioengineered ingredients.
It is mostly in breads, or instant breakfast type drinks, or snack foods.
I can tell if I eat bioengineered food by the way my stomach cramps. It's subtle but makes you think: what did I eat? Sure enough, I'll discover it's bioengineered. So now, I'm more diligent about checking the contents of food I buy, because it's creeping in to popular products.
And you have to check the ingredients of items you always buy, because the ingredients can change. They can reverse their decisions to use cheaper ingredients because people are affected by them and stop buying.
For instance, I like cocoa, I buy the same cocoa all the time till one day my liver cramps, I know this cramping and it comes from artificial sweeteners, so I check the ingredients and it contains artificial sweeteners... They changed the ingredients!
Well, a year or two later, I'll check the store shelf again - not finding my usual cocoa - I end up checking the ingredients of alternatives and find one that uses regular ingredients - one that previously had artificial sweeteners!
So, they'll change ingredients regularly, maybe due to shortages, or making more profit. And change it back again because of customer feedback.
'Natural' is often a selling point as well as 'Nothing Artificial', something along those lines, these producers know what sells and what people want, and the only reason they would change their product is due to shortages or greed. Changing it back would require customer demand as if it is selling, why change if it is the cheapest way to manufacturer it?
So, it might seem laborious checking your items every time, but because you'll not eat food that doesn't agree with your stomach, it is necessary to check to keep food companies mindful of what consumers want.
Perhaps better to make your own convenience foods out of staples.

If only we built homes with a workshop and a yard to grow in, instead of glorified chicken pens with ample room to stack some brand furniture in. Modern tech to enable people to grow their own food? Nah -flick- that let's give them phones. Im so done with the midwit management of this planet -flicking-g up everything that could have been great.

60% of Frenchies might experience brown-out. The brown-out are scheduled between 8 am and 1 pm and from 6 pm and 8 pm. Schools, metros, trains might not be available.

"As Macron whines in front of #Biden , power cuts are announced for 60% of French people. Note, the Corsicans will be preserved. Why ? Because Corsican electricity is... Italian. You have to choose your friends! "

Brits 'eating pet food' and heating meals on radiators as inflation soars

Speaking of the experiences he has witnessed, told BBC Wales: 'I'm still shocked by the fact that we have people who are eating pet food,' he said.

'[There are] people who are trying to heat their food on a radiator or a candle.

'These are shocking kind of stories that are actually the truth.'

He discussed how people are are not being paid enough to afford basic needs and essentials all should have access to.

The Pantry, where Mr Seed works, is a Community Trust-funded facility that aims to reduce food poverty in Cardiff and provide affordable food and household essentials to over 160 locals.

One of The Pantry's visitors is Elizabeth Williams, 54, who said the project 'makes a lot of difference' and brings communities together during difficult times.

'I usually go without to try to make things better in my house,' she said.

As the cost of living progresses, recent figures showed inflation rising to a new 41-year high of 11.1 per cent - with experts warning of worse to come.

It is shocking how the process of the "food crisis" continues to unfold, sadly.

Sweden: Price increases by Jan 2023

I read a couple weeks ago, that the food industry in Sweden, is 'holding off' new price increases, but will put them out in January 2023 with hikes between +5 and +25%. I can't really say, that they have been holding off - because during autumn the prices did increase by a lot (second wave, after the initial price hikes during spring 2022) Putting another 5-25% on top... well, that would be truly mind boggling (on already high priced Swedish food). Cheese prices for a example have gone though the roof (or at least it feels like it) with 179 SEK a kilo, Butter being 150 SEK a kilo. Also many Yoghourts with fruits can easily go for 38-40 SEK. Coffee has stabilized at around 155-175 SEK/kilo for the time being. Older types of wheat are expensive, approaching 40 SEK a kilo. That ordinary refined "cake" white wheat is still pretty decently priced, and nothing to write home about.

10 SEK = 0.92 Euro.
1 Euro = 10.9 SEK

The general rent demands this year are around record high 9-12% - albeit their demands are usually held down by the Rental organisations "Hyresgästföreningen" (The Tenants Association?) negotiating about it here in Sweden - so it may perhaps stay around 3-4%. At least I hope so.

When it comes to salaries... uh well, they don't want to raise it more than a futile 2.5%. I hope they get plenty of resistance from demonstrations in the streets.

60% of Frenchies might experience brown-out. The brown-out are scheduled between 8 am and 1 pm and from 6 pm and 8 pm. Schools, metros, trains might not be available.

According to Le Parisien , the government is preparing for the worst scenario, that of a "rotating load shedding" of the electricity network during this winter. A change of tone that adds to the previous ones.

Power outages could occur in January

The government is looking for the right tone to prepare minds, in case power cuts occur in January. The executive's messages follow one another, but are not always alike. In June, Emmanuel Macron was affirmative: there will be no cuts this winter. Then, its tone changed to declaring “the end of abundance” . The government has taken action by urging the French to reduce their personal consumption, to avoid the worst. At the beginning of September, another change of tone. Agnès Pannier-Runacher has suddenly reassuring words. Our gas stocks are full for the winter and EDF will restart all its reactors on time, according to the Minister for Energy Transition.

Read also Energy sobriety: The government's plan relies on the incentive rather than the obligation

Relapse in December: the government now evokes the worst-case scenario, that of a rotating “shedding” . In a circular from Matignon, which Le Parisien obtained, the executive details the scenario where 4 million customers would be deprived, in turn, of electricity for two hours. "This scenario can neither be excluded nor confirmed, it is therefore necessary to prepare for it" , writes Elisabeth Borne , in her message to the prefects. In the process, each minister took action: Pap Ndiaye , for National Education, announced that the schools would close during the cuts.

Weather and EDF delays keep government in limbo

The power balances between avoiding any panic effect and anticipating a crisis situation. Everyone remembers the fiasco on the masks, or more recently on the fuel shortage , not at all anticipated by the government . It's a ridge line, not easy to hold, sometimes it zigzags a little. But there are also unknowns that do not help matters: the unpredictable weather this winter, of course, but also the new maintenance delays, announced by EDF. At worst, say the communicators of the executive, we will have frightened the French for nothing, but they will be relieved that we have avoided the worst. See you in early 2023 to find out .
By Marcelo Weisfried
INFO - #Société : In order to anticipate any power cuts that could occur this winter, #Enedis and #RTE plan to carry out a national test on Friday, December 9. This involves measuring crisis preparation and management.

Interestingly is that on the 9th Enedis (the public electricity network in France), and RTÉ the (Raidió Teilifís Éireann, Ireland's National Public Service Multi-Media Organisation), will conduct the first of many tests this winter of the coming and suspicious electrical blackouts.

The timing of this current practice run on the grid next week will incidentally coincide with this local seeing temperatures dip to zero degrees Celsius on the ninth. While accompanied by 31.7 cm of snow according to Wendy.

Obviously, forced acceptance (of a multi-tiered operation) against the EU population seems to be in progress.

As It all reminds me of the sessions that indicated that the world would move to a finer order of control while navigating the population against Russia thus supporting the war against a country by the cabal.

So Buckle Up with preparations and GodSpeed.

And also add the following opinion to consider.

Conjecture:
As they lack the Knowledge we have been gifted considering their time frames.

Climate Fraud:
Updated: 02/12/2022 16:38
France has been given the green light to ban short haul domestic flights.

The European Commission has approved the move which will abolish flights between cities that are linked by a train journey of less than 2.5 hours.

The decision was announced on Friday. The changes are part of the country’s 2021 Climate Law.

France is also cracking down on the use of private jets for short journeys in a bid to make transport greener and fairer for the population.

Transport minister Clément Beaune said the country could no longer tolerate the super rich using private planes while the public are making cutbacks to deal with the energy crisis and climate change.

France given green light to abolish internal flights

France has officially been given the go-ahead to halt environmentally-damaging domestic flights.

Initially, the ban will only affect routes between Paris Orly and Nantes, Lyon, and Bordeaux.

Connecting flights will also have to follow these new rules.

When the measures were first announced, they were contested by the Union of French Airports (UAF) as well as the European branch of the Airports Council International (ACI Europe).

This prompted an in-depth investigation by the European Commission into whether the plan could go ahead or not.

A European Air Services Regulation article states that a member state may, "where there are serious environmental problems […] limit or refuse the exercise of traffic rights, in particular where other modes of transport provide a satisfactory service”.

It’s going in the right direction, but the initial measure is one that’s (not very) ambitious. We must go even further.
Sarah Fayolle
Greenpeace France transport campaign manager
The Commission gave its approval on Friday making it the first time this article has been invoked by an EU member state.

The ban on short-haul flights will be valid for three years, after which it must be reassessed by the Commission.

"[This] is a major step forward in the policy of reducing greenhouse gas emissions," transport minister Beaune said in a press release.

“I am proud that France is a pioneer in this area,” he added.

Sarah Fayolle, Greenpeace France transport campaign manager, told Euronews that there were both “negative and positive aspects” to the European Commission’s decision given that only three routes are affected.

“It’s going in the right direction, but the initial measure is one that’s (not very) ambitious. We must go even further,” she said.

Sadly, not very uplifting news here in Portugal either. Price increases on groceries here in Portugal have gone on throughout the past months. Every week, groceries get more expensive and also here, salaries and pensions lag far behind. I read stories that especially parents and the elderly are caught stealing bread, sausages and tuna, just to eat and feed their kids, causing many supermarkets to put alarms on those types of food items. I read that from the end of February until now, prices of a bag of groceries have increased by almost Euro 40! Now fish, extra virgin olive oil (huge drop in olive oil production here) and meat have gone up again.
From what i understand a plethora of factors, such as drought, supply chain difficulties, labor shortages (while Portuguese workers sit at home not wanting to work for a few Euro's more than what the government pays them to stay put), price increases of production costs, high levels of incompetence at government level (trade associations exclaiming that the agro minister represents a casting error, the not investing in upgrading drainage of water infrastructures in place since the 1950s, causing huge amounts of water to go to waste each year (over 13 billion litres in Algarve), and basically not cooperating with any trade association in trying to centralize and basically destroy entire industries by those in power who are not hindered by any sort of knowledge or competence) is at work and it seems has been at work for a long time. It's just all coming together now. Already over one fifth of the Portuguese population of 10.3 million lives below the poverty line.

Off topic here, but still wanted to mention that one result of life having become so expensive now is that people abandon their pets, and what's even worse, animal associations are struggling with increased costs and a marked drop in the number of donations that make it possible for them to take in the animals people discard. Makes me think of all those people in European countries who during the Covid lockdowns took in pets to combat loneliness, and now, with prices skyrocketing across the board, are dumping them. And the cold season has only just begun...

This Dutch article in the Financial Times caught my eye.

The title is already misleading IMO:

"High-net-worth private equity is on the rise as a buyer of SMEs (small and medium-sized enterprises)"

Perhaps instead of 'private equity' we could call them something more truthful like vulture funds? :evil:
In recent years, private equity funds accounted for roughly half of the acquisitions, according to an analysis of three hundred transactions ranging from
€1 million to €100 million that acquisition advisor Marktlink has supervised over the past three years. Wholesalers, manufacturing companies, IT companies, installers and e-commerce companies were particularly targeted. This year, the share of private equity in SME deals has even risen to 70%.

One explanation, according to Marktlink managing partner Tom Beltman, is that deteriorating economic prospects are more likely to put a brake on acquisitions by so-called strategic buyers or industry peers than on purchases by private equity. Investment companies still have hundreds of millions on the shelf and that money has to be invested, otherwise it will only be worth less due to the high inflation. [Translated by Yandex.]
I could be wrong, but it smells like American led slaughter of Europe to me:

Deindustrialization has touched even the foggy Albion, where 80% of GDP is in the service and financial sectors. For example, German car manufacturer BMW moved its Mini electric car plant from Oxford to the Middle Kingdom. Japan's Honda closed its last plant. Recently it became known that the Americans are buying cheaply British firms in the military-industrial complex and immediately bankrupting them. And why would Washington need competitors, especially from the former metropolis? Expensive energy resources make the entertainment and tourism sectors, the services that form the lion's share of the British economy, unprofitable.

Hungary, which was initially against giving up Russian energy resources, immediately called things by their proper names and pointed to the main culprit and beneficiary of the energy crisis in Europe - the United States.
So, what vulture funds have been doing for I don't know how long in developing countries is happening in Europe, too. Perhaps it is just karma and the chickens have come home to roost, although I feel really sorry for all those people who have put their hearts into their business and will be forced to sell.

How Long Would Society Last During a Total Grid Collapse?

A summary of how other systems of infrastructure (like roadways, water, sewer, and telecommunications) depend on electricity and how long each system could last under total blackout conditions.

WATCH:

Back
Top Bottom