Saturated Fats, Cholesterol Lard and Vitamin D

ifrakhaliq

The Force is Strong With This One
Laura said:
We were making and eating hummus for a bit but it seemed to drag everything down. Now that we know about lectins, we are very careful about eating anything that is a "seed", including beans, peas, seeds of any kind. Just not worth it.
Do you mean that both sesame and chickpea are not worth eating? Since both are seeds.
 

truth seeker

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
ifrakhaliq said:
Laura said:
We were making and eating hummus for a bit but it seemed to drag everything down. Now that we know about lectins, we are very careful about eating anything that is a "seed", including beans, peas, seeds of any kind. Just not worth it.
Do you mean that both sesame and chickpea are not worth eating? Since both are seeds.
Yes. If you are on the KD or even 'just' the Paleo diet long enough, you'll eventually find out that your body will not be able to tolerate lectins among other things.
 

mb

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
ifrakhaliq said:
Laura said:
We were making and eating hummus for a bit but it seemed to drag everything down. Now that we know about lectins, we are very careful about eating anything that is a "seed", including beans, peas, seeds of any kind. Just not worth it.
Do you mean that both sesame and chickpea are not worth eating? Since both are seeds.
I'm not sure about sesame. If used as a staple, I can imagine that there could be problems, at least for some people. I eliminated tahini a long time ago, for reasons that I can't recall now. It is high in sesame oil -- one of the "seed oils." Unlike most vegetable oils, it has a 1:1 balance of omega-3 and omega-6 as you would want, but it is still an isolated polyunsaturated fat highly prone to oxidation.

There are various seed- and legume-derived foods that have been used as alternative sources of protein. They are not particularly good sources of protein, and they tend to carry an added toxic load that you won't encounter in meat, but if they are all you have then they are better than nothing and, historically, sometimes it was all people had.

I came across an article yesterday that talks about this, specifically about legumes including chickpeas (but not seeds or sesame):
_ http://paleodietlifestyle.com/beans-and-legumes/

If chickpeas or kidney beans were extremely high in some vital and rare nutrient, they might be worth eating once in a while as a kind of supplement food, but the reality is that they don’t have anything you can’t get in a more potent and healthier way from animals or vegetables.
 
Since saturated fat and cholesterol are very important for brain developement in babies

"Cholesterol is extraordinarily important for babies & children as they develop their brain and nervous system. Over half of the brain is composed of saturated fats and cholesterol. One of the richest sources of cholesterol is mother's milk which also contains a special enzyme that helps the baby metabolize and use this nutrient." -->http://www.sott.net/article/258477-The-saturated-fat-myth

how much do you think not breastfeeding a child damages the brain?

I'm asking because of an unfortunate realization that my otherwise very loving and caring mother didn't breastfeed me. That couples in with a incompetent hospital and its idiotic doctors in which I contracted a flu after I was born. AND, because of that they wanted to prolong my stay at H! My grandma even sad that they kept me in a room with an open window when I contracted the flu. Luckily, my mother decided that I should go home.

Now, it is true that I never had any neurodevelopmental problems nor any cognitive difficulties. I do great at school, have a pretty good memory, and am able to simultaneously with that learn here at sott and cass in to me a foreign language.

So, I wonder if my cognitive abilities would have been better if she breastfead me? This issue worries me.
 

mb

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Domagoj said:
...how much do you think not breastfeeding a child damages the brain?
...
So, I wonder if my cognitive abilities would have been better if she breastfead me? This issue worries me.
Your question is unanswerable.

How about if you focus on what you are able do and what you can change? Perfect health is not required to participate in our 3rd density "school." Sometimes it can actually help to have some damage. Maybe even usually.
 

truth seeker

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Domagoj said:
So, I wonder if my cognitive abilities would have been better if she breastfead me? This issue worries me.
I agree with Megan that it's difficult to say and best to focus on what you can change. You may, however be interested in this thread. Although the initial topic is prolonged breastfeeding, there is information relating to toxins in breast milk (and the mother's diet as it relates to such) that you may find helpful. :)
 

Inga

Padawan Learner
http://preventdisease.com/news/12/030112_World-Renown-Heart-Surgeon-Speaks-Out-On-What-Really-Causes-Heart-Disease.shtml
 

Nienna

SuperModerator
Moderator
FOTCM Member
Inga said:
http://preventdisease.com/news/12/030112_World-Renown-Heart-Surgeon-Speaks-Out-On-What-Really-Causes-Heart-Disease.shtml
This article was put up on SOTT in March 2012.

http://www.sott.net/article/242516-Heart-surgeon-speaks-out-on-what-really-causes-heart-disease

Too bad more doctors don't speak out against the standard American diet.
 

cubbex

The Living Force
John Romaniello talks about interesting things here, insulin hormone, testosterone. And he confirms too knowledge shared here, looks like successful people, even healthier people know about the golden age and the paleo diet. I just found that some friends are inspiring themselves on the paleo diet and cutting carbs, and that paleo is like getting mainstream. I really hope people find that a paleo diet is just the best way.

http://youtu.be/Aub8GGIv5YA
 

lilies

Jedi Council Member
High-Fat Diet May Increase Alzheimer's Risk

Quote from:
http://www.livescience.com/37496-alzheimers-disease-diet.html
Diets high in saturated fat and sugar may increase the risk of Alzheimer's disease, and a new study may explain why.

In the study, participants who ate a diet high in saturated fat (including lots of beef and bacon) and "high glycemic index" foods (such as white rice and white bread) had an increase in levels of a protein called amyloid-beta in their cerebral spinal fluid. Amyloid-beta is a key component of the brain plaques that are a hallmark of Alzheimer's. High glycemic index foods release sugar quickly into the bloodstream.

Oh dear Rachael Rettner, LiveScience Senior Writer! Somehow you left out sugar from the title! It makes everything related so bright and crystal clear suddenly.

I think saturated fat is a vicious killer for the majority of humanity today. Anybody listened to acquaintances telling their secret recipes? My godfather last week told me almost in a hush-hush, how he makes our famous Easter Meat-Jelly:

1. While the stuff is still in liquid form, I pour it into a big plastic(!!!) mineral water or Coca-Cola bottle. [umpfh.. nice idea godpops, but you don't know plastic crap is oozing BPA..]
2. I seal the bottle and turn it upside down... [Well he is an electrical engineer and full of very useful mechanical ideas]
3. I wait until the FAT gathers on top.
4. Then I open the seal (which is now at bottom) and let the nice liquid jelly sloOowly out of the bottle. When the FAT reaches the opening of the bottle (which is now at bottom) i quickly seal it back and throw the fat away!
5. - "You can't imagine how beautiful that Meat-Jelly tastes!" - he explains gleefully and adds:
- "Of course it must be without fat!"
My answer was that I create a somewhat similar jelly(thick broth), but I eat all the fat. This conversation took place while my mother and godfather were having a surprisingly enormous amount of "happy-meal" at a local restaurant jam-packed with wondrous matters like pasta, potatoes, fried bread-crumbs-coated meat, sugar. After such meal no wonder they get the "Food Coma"! I examined the menu curiously. Haven't seen a restaurant menu in 5 years and determined that everything there was poisoned so I didn't order anything, not even the listed mineral water.

Because fat is deadly poison.. for all carbs eaters. These people eat pasta/Kentucky fried, french fries, fried meat, fried fish, fried dumplings, chicken, but first dutifully scrape away all FAT! Fat from microwaved bacon and sausage products are also thrown out! :D

They are right: the fat would kill them in short time with their ginormous carbs intake = sugar, pasta, wheat, fruit, jam, soda, pizza, chocolate, cake. And my godmother frequently complains how she loses weight after a reduce died, but then quickly gains weight back and more! I tried to explain her, how fat cells shrink and expand, but with her rock solid carb-centered mind-state I gave up. Useless effort.

I would like to correct the article title:
High-Fat Diet not only causes Alzheimer's but kills you effectively in a short time, causes heart attacks and all sorts of Health Problems upon which today's Big Pharma and Health Care Industry and 'Professional Doctor Advice System for the Masses' is built upon.

Basically:
If you are healthy and plan to remain so and manage the current Health Industry is in serious danger of dying a gruesome death. If you are sick or dying its good business for today's Health industry so they welcome you with open arms. That's what I'm seeing everywhere fortified by three of our local doctor's professional educated opinions.
 

H-KQGE

Dagobah Resident
I came across this a day or two ago. Not in any way surprising (US doubling the amount of Palm oil they bought in two years) but the general information (videos articles etc) about Americans panicking about their next gluten-filled, fructose soy-corn combo (with added cheese & peppers like "man vs food" tv show) is still incredible to me.


Will trans-fat ban lead to deforestation?

As the Food and Drug Administration looks to ban trans fats in all foods, the food industry is scrambling to find a healthier replacement that would increase shelf-life of their products. Increasingly, the industry is turning to palm oil, but switching over to the plant-based, semi-solid oil may have economic and environmental impacts felt around the world. Environmentalists are concerned that the use of palm oil may lead to massive deforestation in Southeast Asia.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KMOWGfPeLyQ

The usual "muddying of the waters" aside, the names of "foods" described made me momentarily queasy (just thinking about them) as well as the death merchants/companies mentioned. Death to "sat-fats"! Death to tobacco!
 

dugdeep

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
H-kqge said:
I came across this a day or two ago. Not in any way surprising (US doubling the amount of Palm oil they bought in two years) but the general information (videos articles etc) about Americans panicking about their next gluten-filled, fructose soy-corn combo (with added cheese & peppers like "man vs food" tv show) is still incredible to me.


Will trans-fat ban lead to deforestation?

As the Food and Drug Administration looks to ban trans fats in all foods, the food industry is scrambling to find a healthier replacement that would increase shelf-life of their products. Increasingly, the industry is turning to palm oil, but switching over to the plant-based, semi-solid oil may have economic and environmental impacts felt around the world. Environmentalists are concerned that the use of palm oil may lead to massive deforestation in Southeast Asia.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KMOWGfPeLyQ

The usual "muddying of the waters" aside, the names of "foods" described made me momentarily queasy (just thinking about them) as well as the death merchants/companies mentioned. Death to "sat-fats"! Death to tobacco!
The irony is that it is entirely the processed foods industry that are behind this problem. If people could wake up to the fact that animal fats are healthy, they wouldn't need to look for these alternatives like palm oil or coconut oil. All these "spreads" that were originally cooked up to replace truly healthy butter continue to be the less healthy choice, even without the trans fats. People are forced into a tough decision as their choices become narrower and narrower - they obviously have to stay away from butter because it's "evil", yet the alternatives are being revealed for what they are. If everyone would just switch back to butter and lard, the way our recent relatives did, there wouldn't be any of these issues!
 

SeekinTruth

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
dugdeep said:
The irony is that it is entirely the processed foods industry that are behind this problem. If people could wake up to the fact that animal fats are healthy, they wouldn't need to look for these alternatives like palm oil or coconut oil. All these "spreads" that were originally cooked up to replace truly healthy butter continue to be the less healthy choice, even without the trans fats. People are forced into a tough decision as their choices become narrower and narrower - they obviously have to stay away from butter because it's "evil", yet the alternatives are being revealed for what they are. If everyone would just switch back to butter and lard, the way our recent relatives did, there wouldn't be any of these issues!
Exactly. Neither the health problems nor the environmental problems existed when Americans were huge consumers of butter and lard. Then in the first half of the 20th century, the campaign to replace the healthy animal fats with cheap vegetable and seed oils took off, and all the numerous problems took off with it. Just eat animal fats and that's it. But the PTB have to keep these problems going as there's too much riding on them. If the people's health and the planet's health improve, it's not to their liking, so they keep spreading the BS thick and heavy....
 

Leòmhann

Jedi Master
SeekinTruth said:
dugdeep said:
The irony is that it is entirely the processed foods industry that are behind this problem. If people could wake up to the fact that animal fats are healthy, they wouldn't need to look for these alternatives like palm oil or coconut oil. All these "spreads" that were originally cooked up to replace truly healthy butter continue to be the less healthy choice, even without the trans fats. People are forced into a tough decision as their choices become narrower and narrower - they obviously have to stay away from butter because it's "evil", yet the alternatives are being revealed for what they are. If everyone would just switch back to butter and lard, the way our recent relatives did, there wouldn't be any of these issues!
Exactly. Neither the health problems nor the environmental problems existed when Americans were huge consumers of butter and lard. Then in the first half of the 20th century, the campaign to replace the healthy animal fats with cheap vegetable and seed oils took off, and all the numerous problems took off with it. Just eat animal fats and that's it. But the PTB have to keep these problems going as there's too much riding on them. If the people's health and the planet's health improve, it's not to their liking, so they keep spreading the BS thick and heavy....
E X A C T L Y ~ Thank You, Folks !! :wizard: :flowers: :hug2:

Having been fortunate enough to grow up living at my Pennsylvania Dutch grandmom's house, I was the unknowing and lucky recipient of her delicious lard/crisco based cooking/baking.

As time went on, and the mass margarine brainwashing became more and more pervasive and intrusive, we, like so many, were taken in by the BS and switched over to margarine and vegetable oils.

I'm so thankful for her and the traditional cooking she shared (for at least the 1st part of my life in childhood), for our members, like RyanX, on this forum for sharing all the wonderful information on crucial topics like diet, and for our local farmers who still make this fatty gold available (so fortunate to have a wonderful, local source of lard, tallow [another good, essential fat], bacon, and other excellent, pastured, meats)...
 

Medulin

Jedi


"Destruction of tropical rainforest to create oil palm plantations is bad enough in terms of biodiversity reduction and species extinction. To add also the significant increase in CO2 emissions [from forest and peatlands conversion] makes it even worse. And to what end?"

Bonner suggests that American consumers might be better off going back to lard, especially when it's already a byproduct of livestock production, which itself has a substantial global footprint.

"So we have come full circle," he said. "The intense drive to avoid lard has led us, in the end, right back to lard. Why discard the pork fat from our abbatoirs only to replace it with the same thing, but from an ecologically-disastrous source? Let’s just use the lard."


_http://news.mongabay.com/2012/1207-lard-vs-palm-oil.html
 
Top Bottom