Show #2, Jan. 27th 2013: 'Gun Control USA: Do Guns Protect Civil Liberties?'

OK, I'm going to ask a question, and I REALLY hope it's not taken the wrong way...but what's the point of these shows?

The people who would really benefit from this kind of information have already made up their minds..one way or the other? I will support whatever yawl are trying to do...but I really don't understand what you're trying to do? What is the goal?

My guess is: to increase public awareness, to widen the circle, and to provoke people to think and question their existing beliefs, opinions and ideas. I thought it was an excellent show. Really enjoyed it. And it was funny too....:-)

Guardian said:
Laura said:
I gather you didn't read Jason's article nor are you listening to what is being said.

Yes, I read Jason's article, and yes, I'm listening. I also know that a person can protect themselves from a criminal act VERY effectively with a gun, because I've done it...more than once, but again, what's the point of debating that?

Many thanks for the great show!

Good point made that touched upon how laws are made to deal with criminals after the act, not before. So for personal protection guns are a 'good' thing, definitely from the perspective of an ordinary American, but the idea that modern society bearing arms can protect itself against a tyrannical government if it came down to a showdown is misleading.

Fundamental problem, as always, is psychopaths in power and the culture of violence being promoted. The debate around gun control focuses on just a tiny part of the problem and leads to further division of the population.

Thank you Joe, Jason and Niall for a great show! I think the discussion was very interesting and I know I learned a few things because of you sharing your thoughts as well as hearing those from the callers.

The discussion also reminded me of something. Just a few years ago, there was a shooting taking place in a city that was nearby us. It was a guy in his mid-twenties who kept shooting non-stop in a busy shopping mall, of which the scenes and stories were quite horrific and scary. And this is a country where people aren't allowed to have guns, unless they have some papers for it. It appeared the guy had the papers, but anyway, it's just an example that shows that gun control really won't be stopping such things from happening. So I'd guess like you guys said, the best focus one could have is to have it on educating oneself; learning to know the difference between not only what is a truth and what is a lie, but also on what is right and what is wrong. And perhaps to try to set an example for others as best as one can. Well just a small something I wanted to say.

Thanks again and looking forward to the next one!

Lisa Guliani said:
My guess is: to increase public awareness, to widen the circle, and to provoke people to think and question their existing beliefs, opinions and ideas. I thought it was an excellent show. Really enjoyed it.

Ditto! It really helped me to think in new ways and it is a very dynamic and interactive way of learning the experience of others around the world and where their points of view come from.

Listening to the guys talk and discuss these issues was more engaging, which is interesting because I really never listen to radio shows since my auditory learning sucks. Apparently it does not. It was very interesting and I look forward to future shows!

Guardian said:
OK, I'm going to ask a question, and I REALLY hope it's not taken the wrong way...but what's the point of these shows?

The people who would really benefit from this kind of information have already made up their minds..one way or the other? I will support whatever yawl are trying to do...but I really don't understand what you're trying to do? What is the goal?

Not trying to answer for the SOTT guys, just giving my own take on this. I think it's all the reasons Lisa mentioned, but personally for me, as one of the listeners, the major thing is "support" and the connection, and knowing that we are not alone. It's another method of broadcasting the signal, similar to a resistance broadcasting it's messages to anyone seeking and willing to listen. Perhaps it won't change other people's minds, probably it won't and it's too late, but it's still worthwhile doing it, just because the message should be heard, and also because it gives those who do listen an opportunity to maintain their hope and inner resolve. And who knows, maybe there are people who are still looking, and radio could be just the medium for them.

Thank you for doing it!

Lisa Guliani said:
My guess is: to increase public awareness, to widen the circle, and to provoke people to think and question their existing beliefs, opinions and ideas.

How? The gun control issue, as well as abortion, gay rights, etc. ALL the divide and conquer topics, have been around for decades....even centuries. The exact same points that were brought up in this lovely radio show have been pointed out over, and over, and over again. Nothing changes? The anti-gun people are still anti-gun, and the pro gun people are still pro-gun.

Usually SOTT is about informing people about stuff they don't know about... happenings that aren't reported in the mainstream media.

Why are we now tackling well established political memes? I'm sure there's a good reason, I just don't get it?

Lisa Guliani said:
My guess is: to increase public awareness, to widen the circle, and to provoke people to think and question their existing beliefs, opinions and ideas. I thought it was an excellent show. Really enjoyed it. And it was funny too....:-)

I have to agree with Lisa on those points. Of course there are people with their minds completely made up. I also think there are plenty of others that are sitting on the fence about this issue.

Amazing show all around today! Let's keep advertising/talking/sharing links for the upcoming broadcasts and we'll see how far we can expand the show. The 'Revolution', as was mentioned, is one that will have to take place in the Mind!

Thank you Joe, Kniall, and Jason!

Guardian said:
Lisa Guliani said:
My guess is: to increase public awareness, to widen the circle, and to provoke people to think and question their existing beliefs, opinions and ideas.

How? The gun control issue, as well as abortion, gay rights, etc. ALL the divide and conquer topics, have been around for decades....even centuries. The exact same points that were brought up in this lovely radio show have been pointed out over, and over, and over again. Nothing changes? The anti-gun people are still anti-gun, and the pro gun people are still pro-gun.

Usually SOTT is about informing people about stuff they don't know about... happenings that aren't reported in the mainstream media.

Why are we now tackling well established political memes? I'm sure there's a good reason, I just don't get it?

Maybe they want to build up the listeners and then introduce those things after people have gotten used to them and know where they are coming from?

Guardian, I look at it like this: You never really know what someone will take away from a discussion. If nobody talks about these issues, then the thinking pretty much stays the same. It might not 'change' the world, but it might just change one person or two or 100 or ....you get the idea. I don't think it's pointless to communicate ideas, even if it doesn't bring on 'sweeping change overall' in a situation, which it won't. I'd rather have people out there talking openly and honestly than the same ole same ole discussion we see all over the place.
Discussions like this present a fantastic opportunity for people to entertain ideas they normally don't or wouldn't. They offer another perspective, and they do let others who think similarly know they aren't alone. I also really liked the part of the show when they were discussing goodness, virtue, honor and community - and how these things relate to and need to be the building blocks, the foundation, of any potential 'revolution'. When do you ever hear revolution being discussed in those terms? I think these shows are important because they provide a great opportunity for learning - and learning is a good thing. If they accomplish nothing else but that, they are worth the listen.
I'm all for provoking people to question their own thoughts and ideas and to think. My two cents.

Laura said:
Maybe they want to build up the listeners and then introduce those things after people have gotten used to them and know where they are coming from?

OK, that makes sense...thank you.

I made a promise to myself that I would never let myself get drawn into politics again. To me, it's a huge waste of time because I can't actually DO anything about any of it. LOTS of effort with ZERO positive results. Every time a political issue comes up, I just say to myself "remember Obama" and shut up.

Initially, I just called in to support the show, however, if the hot button topics are just the 2 x 4 to get the mule's attention ...that might just work?

Well Lisa just beat my post and said what i was thinking far better, yet will add it, as this was my initial reply thoughts to you.

Guardian said:

Know what you are saying about these well known memes, however, have to agree with Lisa’s comment about the points.

Guardian said:

Agreed, minds are mostly made up, yet as the one caller said, there are many people who want to discuss things, what is on their minds - new and opposite thinking, yet are afraid to do so. Perhaps, if just one opens up and then another about these things (old memes), then, osit, it is something, if only incremental at first and who knows were this can lead.

[quote author=Guardian]

Initially, I just called in to support the show, however, if the hot button topics are just the 2 x 4 to get the mule's attention ...that might just work?
[/quote]

Oh, and by the way, thought you supported it well. The 2x4 may indeed be correct to get the mule moving forward; yet they can be stubborn as you know.

Lisa Guliani said:
Guardian, I look at it like this: You never really know what someone will take away from a discussion. If nobody talks about these issues, then the thinking pretty much stays the same.

My point is that everyone is already talking about these issues, and they have been since before I was born, and the thinking still stays the same.

I understand what Laura said though...and that does make sense to me. Might work? Worth a shot.

Guardian said:
Lisa Guliani said:
Guardian, I look at it like this: You never really know what someone will take away from a discussion. If nobody talks about these issues, then the thinking pretty much stays the same.

My point is that everyone is already talking about these issues, and they have been since before I was born, and the thinking still stays the same.

I understand what Laura said though...and that does make sense to me. Might work? Worth a shot.

The stats - and callers - tell us that there are a lot of listeners that are not forum members or sott readers - yet. In fact, the majority of them!

Plus, we can talk about things with a more rational tone and get across the normal peeps vs psychopaths issue just in the process of conversation and set an example for others of how to have such conversations.

As you say, it is all being done to death, but not with our precise perspective.

By the way, we were talking just the other day about the possibility (and historical observation) that it is always some general who separates the army from the government to lead a revolution. It is just possible - and has occasionally happened - that such do it for the right reasons: because they believe in the republic. So it was great that you brought that aspect up and put it on the table.

Back
Top Bottom