Show #2, Jan. 27th 2013: 'Gun Control USA: Do Guns Protect Civil Liberties?'

Guardian said:
You're right, I should have said "these types of shows" 'cause that's what I was thinking.

I was VERY impressed with the Sandy Hook show....but then it was like "Gun Control?" Really? You can't turn on a Talk Radio Show without hearing about "Gun Control" these days...but now I think I'm getting the picture.

Just to clarify, we chose this topic precisely because it is all over the news etc. It was just a foray into this type of "been done to death" topic to see if we we could make even a little sense of it and maybe bring a slightly different perspective. We may stay away from such topics in the future! But we're learning as we go along.

I think it's good that SOTT can address these 'done to death' topics even as they intend to address others that are not being addressed 'to death'. The views expressed on this show as well as the tone, were not typical, to me. They were more multi-layered, substantive. A good way to tie it all in with psychopathy and the psychopathic mindset - which isn't really being addressed in this way on mainstream or even on 'alternative radio' venues in this manner. I think it's important to always consider the target audience demographic when it comes to choosing a show topic ( what are people interested in and talking about?) and address what's being used ( spiked) by the mainstream media to capture public interest and shape and steer public thinking. SOTT's take on this subject is not the common view, which makes it all the more interesting to me, and I suspect, will provoke some interesting ( and animated) conversations among listeners.

Laura said:
By the way, we were talking just the other day about the possibility (and historical observation) that it is always some general who separates the army from the government to lead a revolution. It is just possible - and has occasionally happened - that such do it for the right reasons: because they believe in the republic. So it was great that you brought that aspect up and put it on the table.

That is kinda how our last Civil War started. Almost all of the Confederate Generals were in the US Army before their home States seceded from the Union. It could happen again?

Atreides said:
Decisive victories are a fantasy. Opponents are eroded over time. Over millenia. The fight for goodness, and truth is eternal, it never ends and you never win, you can't win because that would destroy the universe. It's a delicate balance between being and non-being, and all the permutations that expand from that. In a sense, this is the abyss, the endless chasm. You don't do it because you'll win, you do it because it is the thing to do.

I understand all that, I just have a hard time deciding what's the right thing to DO now and again.

Congratulations Joe, Niall, and Jason. You sure know how to put a radio show together that causes one to rethink and question her/his ideas and perceptions.
Best radio show ever, hands down!
Imo, gun control was presented as just one piece of the puzzle that has to be seen relative to the whole.
And regarding the issue of anger, it caused me to look at how personal anger issues affected my relationship with others, and not always in a good way.
Again, great job guys. I'll be listening in next week.

Another great and insightful show! :thup:

Keit said:
Not trying to answer for the SOTT guys, just giving my own take on this. I think it's all the reasons Lisa mentioned, but personally for me, as one of the listeners, the major thing is "support" and the connection, and knowing that we are not alone. It's another method of broadcasting the signal, similar to a resistance broadcasting it's messages to anyone seeking and willing to listen. Perhaps it won't change other people's minds, probably it won't and it's too late, but it's still worthwhile doing it, just because the message should be heard, and also because it gives those who do listen an opportunity to maintain their hope and inner resolve. And who knows, maybe there are people who are still looking, and radio could be just the medium for them.

Thank you for doing it!

I wholeheartedly agree with Keit's statements, especially the 'feel' of "support...connection...and knowing that we are not alone" which provides an "an opportunity to maintain [the listener's] hope and inner resolve". Also, because articles tend to be more focused, it's great to hear 'in spontaneous discussion format' the voices of those we read on a daily basis @ SOTT.

Perceval said:
There's also the more nebulous theory that just stating a truth publicly (by whatever medium) is valuable in some kind of non-linear way. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it!

Hear, hear! Cheers to that! :clap:

I forgot to say this in my prior posts: I really appreciated Jason's example of the guy tying the dog up to the tree so that things can be done to the dog, which hurt the dog - and how the same thing has been done to the population at large, through all these laws designed to protect the greedy psychopaths, who are basically cowards, if you think about it.
What a great example of what is going on and how they do it.

Perceval said:
Guardian said:
You're right, I should have said "these types of shows" 'cause that's what I was thinking.

I was VERY impressed with the Sandy Hook show....but then it was like "Gun Control?" Really? You can't turn on a Talk Radio Show without hearing about "Gun Control" these days...but now I think I'm getting the picture.

Just to clarify, we chose this topic precisely because it is all over the news etc. It was just a foray into this type of "been done to death" topic to see if we we could make even a little sense of it and maybe bring a slightly different perspective. We may stay away from such topics in the future! But we're learning as we go along.

I'm about 40 minutes into the radio show now and I think this is a great idea! We have the gun legislation issue being plastered all over the media and even the 'sleeping masses' are talking about this on a regular basis so why not provide a show that talks about this from a wider-berth perspective. The idea of picking topics that are 'hot' and bringing it to the frontlines on SOTT will definitely bring in newer listeners.

On another note, you are giving forum members a greater perspective on these mainstream issues too. For me, the whole gun legislation debate was just a matter of creating more of a dichotomy in US Society, the whole divide and conquer and fear-mongering tactics so the creamy centre gives up more rights. Open and close, no need to think about it longer. So to have you guys go in-depth connecting the dots and broaching other topics that correlate is making my brain tingle.

Laura said:
Plus, we can talk about things with a more rational tone and get across the normal peeps vs psychopaths issue just in the process of conversation and set an example for others of how to have such conversations.

As you say, it is all being done to death, but not with our precise perspective.

Wise as serpents, gentle as doves indeed.

I really enjoyed the show. Yeah the topic of gun control has been beaten to death, but the discussion itself was far different than anything you would hear on talk radio or morning news shows. It tied in really well with Jason's article a few days earlier too. It gave a new perspective on an oft-debated topic and provided lots of food for thought for those open to those new perspectives. That's no small task. Well done crew!

Regardless of how 'done to death' some subjects are, by the MSM, and even perhaps by articles written by SOTT or discussions on the forum - not everyone who is open and learning, knows everything about everything; nor even those who may be trying to teach. Hence why open discussion is always healthy on any subject - especially subjects that may be currently pertinent, where the MSM may be muddying the waters for those who are more knowledgeable on the subjects, perhaps causing confusion.
I know I certainly know next to nil on this subject and am looking forward to listening through. I have never had much practical knowledge of politics, and certainly not much about the American dynamic of living and their laws.
There will always be some people, for whom the subject is new - even if you've heard it a million times =)

I finished listening the show last night - excellent job done by all. Jason's commentary was priceless, and I really think helped to open up the topic of conversation to a wider audience. Betsy's call was great also, and really contributed to the show. It was nice to hear other callers as well, who mostly appeared to be 'first time listeners' and also did not seem to be trolls. :)

I think just like the podcasts were (and still all) valuable resources for people seeking the truth, and putting a human voice behind all the words we see here, so are the radio shows. Except with more interactivity. And while I understand that not many people out there 'get it' today, who knows what planting of seeds like this will do? Maybe the show will become popular as SOTT.net has become (and who questions the beneficial effect of that site over the long term!), and develop a following. Maybe one day the show could even be 'syndicated' on a limited scale, actually being broadcast over a small independent radio station or two? I think that would be neat, and drastically increase the listening audience. Time will tell.

Thanks to Joe and Kniall, and everyone else involved in putting the show together. It is really quite inspiring to hear such rational and level-headed conversation about these controversial topics, and I look forward to next weeks show!

Jason (ocean59) said:
I finished listening the show last night - excellent job done by all. Jason's commentary was priceless, and I really think helped to open up the topic of conversation to a wider audience. Betsy's call was great also, and really contributed to the show. It was nice to hear other callers as well, who mostly appeared to be 'first time listeners' and also did not seem to be trolls. :)

I agree. And I vote for more Jason in future episodes. :cool2:

Approaching Infinity said:
Jason (ocean59) said:

I agree. And I vote for more Jason in future episodes. :cool2:

I just got a chance to catch the latest episode and I definitely agree in the above! Jason's unique perspective was very refreshing. The three of you have great chemistry, and I think the audience really picked up on that. Thanks for the great work and forge on courageously!!

Back
Top Bottom