Smoking is... good?

Something I didn't expect, but here I go:

After about one and a half years, I am putting my smoking on hold for a while - smoking increases the vividness and energy of my inner life, and I have noticed that there are underlying psychological issues that get exacerbated in the process, and until this is fixed, it is best not to stir the inner pot in a way that just causes mechanical activity.

Simply put, when smoking, I get inwardly tense, anxious, worrying - yet I've generally not been able to perceive this, because: 1. It wasn't so in the beginning, as far as I remember. 2. I haven't made any serious comparison of my mental state as a smoker and a non-smoker, beyond noting how smoking, when it is habitual, powers up my mind. 3. My emotional state can be rather chronically distant from myself. But, I have noticed (without understanding it) an effect of this constant, otherwise unnoticed tension: Mostly chronic constipation.

Also, the stirring of inner noise in my mind is a background distraction that leaves me less focused on a task, and in looking at the big picture of my life, getting less accomplished, even though my mind has a sharper edge of attention when smoking.

If my mind worked well, I think smoking would make it work even better - but because it's full of lies, wordless false beliefs that shape (distort) my awareness moment by moment, and meaningless activities connected to these, smoking causes an intrusive stream of inner distraction that eats up my time and - literally, it seems to me - my energy.

In getting used again to not smoking - at first, the mind felt somewhat empty, dull and inattentive - I notice that everything's quieter in my mind, and there is a lot less tension, and something of a slow thoughtfulness is reappearing - where it used to be a furious mental activity of grabbing hold of things and trying to squeeze insights out of them, sometimes successfully and sometimes not.

In short: Stimulating a sane and healthy mind is a good idea; my mind (particularly the adaptive unconscious/system 1 part thereof) must now become saner and healthier - then, smoking might work.

Psalehesost said:
In short: Stimulating a sane and healthy mind is a good idea; my mind (particularly the adaptive unconscious/system 1 part thereof) must now become saner and healthier - then, smoking might work.

This immediately makes me think of this:

Q: (L) Is smoking detrimental to any of our bodies?
A: Not if mild. Not if mind is in right mode.

I'm wondering whether the right mode could be what you are talking about, i.e. not having a negativity or stress. Has the "right mode for smoking" been discussed anywhere on the forum?

I think your theory of tobacco giving whatever you have in your mind a boost is very interesting. I'm going to give not smoking a try too (I actually started thinking about doing so yesterday) for a while to see what the effects are. Best wishes on getting healthier, Psalehesost!

echo said:

I'm wondering whether the right mode could be what you are talking about, i.e. not having a negativity or stress. Has the "right mode for smoking" been discussed anywhere on the forum?

I think your theory of tobacco giving whatever you have in your mind a boost is very interesting. I'm going to give not smoking a try too (I actually started thinking about doing so yesterday) for a while to see what the effects are. Best wishes on getting healthier, Psalehesost!

FWIW, I've considered the right mode to be not feeling worried/guilty about smoking. I've actually observed that whenever I've felt worried about smoking, my body reacts in bad ways. However, if I am working, or am not worrying about the act of smoking, my body does not complain.

On the general subject of tobacco, I manged to acquire some Pueblo additive free cigarettes. They are a lot milder that American Spirit, and I generally prefer the feel of a pre-made smoke. However, they are incredibly moreish, and it makes me wonder if the tobacco itself has been modified in someway.

Timey said:
echo said:

FWIW, I've considered the right mode to be not feeling worried/guilty about smoking. I've actually observed that whenever I've felt worried about smoking, my body reacts in bad ways. However, if I am working, or am not worrying about the act of smoking, my body does not complain.

On the general subject of tobacco, I manged to acquire some Pueblo additive free cigarettes. They are a lot milder that American Spirit, and I generally prefer the feel of a pre-made smoke. However, they are incredibly moreish, and it makes me wonder if the tobacco itself has been modified in someway.

I´m not sure I do understand what "mild" refers to here in English. Does it mean smoking moderately, or does it refer to mild tobacco or still is there another interpretation?

hesperides said:
I´m not sure I do understand what "mild" refers to here in English. Does it mean smoking moderately, or does it refer to mild tobacco or still is there another interpretation?
When referring to tobacco itself, "mild" means that it is less strong and easier on the throat.

Timey said:
hesperides said:
When referring to tobacco itself, "mild" means that it is less strong and easier on the throat.

Aaaah, thank you Timey. I was starting to consider reducing my tobacco intake :cool2:

echo said:
Psalehesost said:

This immediately makes me think of this:

For me at least, being in the right "mode" of mind makes all the difference. Sometimes I can smoke and I feel dizzy, sick, and not motivated to do anything but sit there, and other times I smoke and I can actually feel it sharpening my mind and clarifying my thoughts. I made a post a while back in this thread about it if I remember correctly.

Timey said:
echo said:

Absolutely! There are many times that its been raining and I've visited my mother and smoked out of my bedroom window. It does not feel good at all! I get tense, and silly programs about her walking in and being disappointed (or even the neighbours seeing :P) begin to run around my mind. I don't feel good at all after a cigarette at home.

Also sometimes smoking outdoors in public can make similar programs surface as I am still struggling to remove the anti smoking programming from my psyche.

hesperides said:
Timey said:
hesperides said:

Aaaah, thank you Timey. I was starting to consider reducing my tobacco intake :cool2:

If you feel or think that your current intake is harmful, perhaps you should consider reducing your intake. However, if you are comfortable with it, I would not worry.

I have a hypothesis about why sometimes you can smoke more and it has a good effect but other times a smaller amount feels like too much. I noticed I can smoke more when I am working hard with my brain, which probably makes neurochemical sense.

SeekinTruth said:
The "mental conditioning and subliminal programming to expect" lung cancer is REALLY getting ramped up with these horrible pictures on the packages isn't it? :curse:

I never look at this pictures, take out the cigarettes of the box and put them in a metallic box. I am tired of hear people tell me to stop smoking. I become deft when they talk to me. When they talk about the dangers in cigarettes at the radio I close the radio. It is the only way to continue to smoke and have pleasure smoking. :)

Mr. Premise said:
I have a hypothesis about why sometimes you can smoke more and it has a good effect but other times a smaller amount feels like too much. I noticed I can smoke more when I am working hard with my brain, which probably makes neurochemical sense.
This is the same with me. I can smoke up to twenty cigarettes when working hard, and I only feel better for it. But, say, if I was not working, over five a day would make me feel terrible

Unfortunately, it is possible the authors might be apologists for big tobacco - see _http://archive.tobacco.org/news/19259.html (note at the bottom of the entry where it says:
[Note: Gori is a well-known tobacco industry consultant. You may also want to read Correspondence concerning John C. Luik--gb]
which links to _http://archive.tobacco.org/Documents/93luik.html)

It's difficult to separate the disinformation from both sides of this war on the truth about tobacco.

Gonzo

Timey said:
hesperides said:
Timey said:
hesperides said:

If you feel or think that your current intake is harmful, perhaps you should consider reducing your intake. However, if you are comfortable with it, I would not worry.

Sometimes I do worry a bit, honestly. I hoped my throat sore when awakening would get better after more than 2 years being on diet and smoking natural tobacco; at least it didn´t get worse. I build up a lot of resistance when trying to reduce my tobacco intake, which I relate as well as to what Mr.Premise said about needing smoking more when reading or writing, which in my case is part of my everyday life. I also have to say that high fat diet is making me smoking more, like I now really enjoy every cigarette. Nevertheless, having about 25 cigarettes per day and sometimes more makes me suspicious. Like I´m unbalancing the healthy fat effect with upgrading tobacco intake. Lol! I know if I want to find out whether too much smoking is the culprit of the throat sore, I have to make some little experiment with it by reducing my smoking, but that´s really the most difficult thing I ever tried, after smoking for 30 years.

Gonzo said:
Fyi, for Canucks smoking Yuma, I just heard from my tobacconist that they are having a hard time getting Yuma in any more. When they inquired, the distributor suggested it might have to do with the change in labeling requirements, forcing even bigger fear-inducing images onto the packages.

Although I have not been able to verify the reason, I haven't been able to get Yumas for a few weeks now. Is anyone else having difficulties?

Just a note to the Canadians members that we were able to get Yumas again recently. Our distributor stopped bringing them for a while, but now they are back - with awful pictures on the package though.

Back
Top Bottom