The Carnivore Diet

Just a note, in case you haven’t heard about it, but almonds supposedly contain a lot of oxalates that at least in large amounts cause all kinds of havoc on the body.Kale is also high in oxalates, and broccoli and cauliflower are moderately high in my understanding. Keyhole has many excellent videos on this, I recommend checking those out.

I’m saying this because I was on a ketogenic diet for years (ca 6 years) and was disappointed in the results-I just couldn’t get the energy levels up, at least not the way ‘everyone’ was talking about. But that changed when I cut out all veggies and every oxalate source, eating just meat and fat ca 5 months ago, and increasing my protein intake considerably. It’s been a bumpy ride with all kinds of ‘oxalate dumping’ symptoms, but so many things, energy levels included, have improved so I’m not going back, at least for now.

Generally the safest form of plant-based milk is coconut milk. The others has various kinds of nasty stuff in there. However, almond milk is the absolute worst in my opinion for people long-term.

I know many people who got quite sick from drinking almond milk and overdoing almond products. Definitely go for coconut, or at the very least, hemp milk!

I think @Tuatha de Danaan is already aware of this, but I just want to mention that @Keyhole said somewhere in the thiamine thread that thiamine can help with problems to gain weight. It might have been this post/video among others.

Yes mrtn and I am waiting with baited breath to see if thiamine, as Keyhole explained, will do the trick for me. This lock down has really hampered the launching of this thiamine which,from Keyhole's extensive research, looks as if it will do wonders for so many people. I'm just trying to test a few things in the meantime and not go to any extremes.

know many people who got quite sick from drinking almond milk and overdoing almond products. Definitely go for coconut, or at the very least, hemp milk!

I've been using Hemp milk for the last 1yr approx only because I never found it listed on any oxalate charts. However the amount I use a day is minimal as I'm now down to 2 cups of tea a day. The tea has been my nemesis but 2 cups as against 6-8 a year ago is a huge change for me.

What a coincidence that you have just today received potato starch. Good luck with experimenting with it then

Just an update Lukasz, Got my rice flour yesterday and made some pancakes using hemp mill and one egg to test. They were gorgeous, filling but not leaving me bloated. I felt much steadier the rest of the day. Looks like I shall be able to re-introduce eggs. I'm going to try Chu's bread tomorrow which will add some more choice. Thanks for the tips. ☺

Just an update Lukasz, Got my rice flour yesterday and made some pancakes using hemp mill and one egg to test. They were gorgeous, filling but not leaving me bloated. I felt much steadier the rest of the day. Looks like I shall be able to re-introduce eggs. I'm going to try Chu's bread tomorrow which will add some more choice. Thanks for the tips. ☺

Thanks for the update. I'm really happy to hear that! :-)
Maybe, keep an eye on the eggs though. You mentioned that you have been unable to eat them recently, so it may be wise to carefully monitor if there would be any reactions this time.
Good luck with the bread!

I heard that combining carbs and fat is bad, this guy explains why he thinks that is not true:
- even with a zero-carb meal, the protein can raise insulin as well
- regardless of insulin, ASP (Acylation stimulating protein) allows the body to store fat
- the net energy balance is what counts. energy deficit makes you loose weight. energy surplus makes you gain weight.
- but some food combinations might make you overeat
- there was a study showing that with equal energy meals, the separation or combination of carbs and fat didn't make any difference in weight loss

Thought I'd share this recent State-of -the-Art Review that was recently accepted in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology

Saturated Fats and Health: A Reassessment and Proposal for Food-based Recommendations: JACC State-of -the-Art Review

Abstract:
The recommendation to limit dietary saturated fatty acid (SFA) intake has persisted despite mounting evidence to the contrary. Most recent meta-analyses of randomized trials and observational studies found no beneficial effects of reducing SFA intake on cardiovascular disease (CVD) and total mortality, and instead found protective effects against stroke. Although SFAs increase low-density lipoprotein (LDL)-cholesterol, in most individuals, this is not due to increasing levels of small, dense LDL particles, but rather larger LDL which are much less strongly related to CVD risk. It is also apparent that the health effects of foods cannot be predicted by their content in any nutrient group, without considering the overall macronutrient distribution. Whole-fat dairy, unprocessed meat, eggs and dark chocolate are SFA-rich foods with a complex matrix that are not associated with increased risk of CVD. The totality of available evidence does not support further limiting the intake of such foods.

Last edited:

I'm not on carnivore, I'm not even on keto, but I'm interested in it. This guy basicially lists pros and cons of each diet, and he says that on carnivore he felt getting more emotionally numb, and he said it was harder for him to go in deep meditation, and that he feels more unemotional. What's your opinion on this? I think it's maybe the indoctrination of culture, like plants are healthy and all.

I'm not on carnivore, I'm not even on keto, but I'm interested in it. This guy basicially lists pros and cons of each diet, and he says that on carnivore he felt getting more emotionally numb, and he said it was harder for him to go in deep meditation, and that he feels more unemotional. What's your opinion on this? I think it's maybe the indoctrination of culture, like plants are healthy and all.
My experience would be that on a lower carbohydrate template, I become less emotionally reactive. I wouldn't describe it as "numb", but rather it feels as though I have a better handle on my emotions and maintain a more consistent and level-headed perception.

On a high sugar diet, my emotional state could be likened to a roller-coaster, which no doubt went hand in hand with blood sugar and insulin spikes followed by temporary bouts of hypoglycemia.

Given that many people are somewhat addicted to experiencing massive spikes in emotions (both positive and negative) on a daily basis, and consider that to be a normal and healthy thing, it is no wonder why the author of the video may have felt "numb".

His comment that the "spiritual journey" will be put to a halt on an animal-based diet makes no sense and is simply reflective of his skewed/misinformed ideas of what constitutes "spirituality". So, I would indeed take it with a large pinch of salt!

I haven't watched the video, nor will i, but judging from the screenshot and from your comments, to me it sounds like this person's comments are very subjective, and a little strange, and so he's not someone i would be taking dietary advice from.

When he says it was harder for him to go into deep meditation, how is he measuring that? For all we know, when he's eating vegan he's so low on energy that the ability to slip into some kind of drowsy, disassociated state just comes much more easily, and one could hardly call that 'meditation'. This comes to mind because vegans are often complaining about a lack of energy and focus, and this is to be expected with a diet lacking in certain essential nutrients necessary for normal brain function. There are videos of 'influencer' vegans compiled by a certain YouTuber that show this disturbing mental state in action.

As for the emotional aspect, i concur with Keyhole.

Should anyone be interested, some of these issues have already been discussed at length in the following thread: Experiment with Fruitarian Diet as a healing Diet

I wanted to share this video here, because one of the most concerning issues when doing a carnivore/carnivor-ish diet is: gout.
Paul Saladino explains this, based on some scientific papers, and his own experience as physician. He goes very technical but I think this is worth watching for people doing this diet, and wondering about this.
Some main points are:
-Metabolic dysfunction/ Insulin resistance and how this influence the excretion of uric acid
-He argues that the problem is NOT the overproduction, but the excretion.
-Inflammation, and how the immune system is involved due to a bad ratio Neutrophils/Lymphocytes, through a marker called NLRP inflamasome.
-He also argues that adipocytes hypertrophy, caused by overconsumption of polyunsaturated fats, may influence in this illness.

Well thanks for all your comments everyone! I have been a vegetarian until 4 years ago when I discovered the benefit of paleo-keto diet. However it took me 2 solid years to fully settle into it, as I was stronly addicted to bread, pastries, pasta etc. I discovered many programms related to food, and the change of diet was also an opportunity for me to learn to deal better with my emotions, be more connected to my body etc.

I lost 5kg effortlessly, my skin is much clearer (although I still have a bit of psorasis) my allergies and asthma are almost gone. I sleep much better, but the number of hours fluctuates with the seasons. I can sleep only 5 hours and be fine in summer, and in winter I need 9~ish hours.

I have tried the full carnivore diet during 15days back in January and I was amazed at the amount of meat I was able to eat in one meal. I could eat 1.2kg of meat and then be satiated for 36-48hours.
I plan to try it again next month or after the Christmas festivities (if we are allowed to have any). I am getting disinterested in vegetables, dairy and almost anything that isn't meat or fish.
I'm still addicted to coffee but I am down to 3 cups/day and will continue to lower it.

I will try to eat more protein because despite exercising almost every day, I have no toned muscles.

My other challenge is that I came back living with my family recently, and they are shocked to see the carnivore I turned into. They completly bought into the "meat is bad" programming I put them through when I was a vegetarian. If this isn't karma, I don't see what it is!😂So I am also doing things slowly ..

I will continue to read through the articles and watch the videos.

So, after a few years oscillating between a Paleo / Keto way of eating, I happened across Dr Paul Saladino's The Carnivore Code, which has had a few mentions on this thread. I read it pretty quickly and decided to 'dive in'.
Perhaps because I'd been eating, and doing well on, a very low carb diet for quiet some time, I didn't experience any of the 'Keto flu' symptoms. One thing I did notice was that the quality of my sleep seemed to dramatically improve, as in getting to sleep quickly and sleeping like the proverbial log. Also, curiously, I seemed to start dreaming like crazy! I wonder if anyone on this thread may be able to shed some light (even if just speculatively) on why that may be the case..?

Now, I now that Dr Paul Saladino has taken some heat regarding his approach to the carnivore diet, and there are some differences between his approach and that of Dr Shawn Baker, for example. One of those key differences seems to be the question of whether a 'quality' carnivore diet incorporates eating 'nose to tail' (aka eating plenty of organ meats) and is the only way of getting the full spectrum of beneficial nutrients. My understanding is that Dr Saladino thinks that eating 'nose to tail' is essential, whilst Dr Baker (and Mikhaila Peterson, as it happens) don't see this approach as particularly necessary.

So, I wondered if anyone on this thread has any input on this 'nose to tail' idea?

Anecdotally, I've always been a fan of liver anyway, and my local butcher is very obliging and supplied me with Ox heart and kidneys, so I've been enjoying including these organs in my diet for the variety and sheer deliciousness.. but are they necessary?

Back
Top Bottom