The Ice Age Cometh! Forget Global Warming!

Polonel said:
They are basically saying that it's not THAT cold, but because of the wind and the dry air, it FELT cold. That's brilliant.

Well, FWIW, this is exactly how we have felt recently: sometimes it's 2° and it feels like -5° because of the humidity and wind and this morning, we thought it was a bit better than yesterday and noticed it was in fact -10°! Some parts of Belgium were at -17°.

The first snow of winter came this afternoon. It snowed less than 3 cm and it provoked 1200 km of traffic jams on Belgium's motorways!
Bus transport in Brussels simply stopped and people were encouraged to take the metro. :O
What is Belgium going to do when the going will really gets tough??

Edit: grammar

lux12 said:
Here in Slavonia, Croatia, is around - 9 degrees at day, below -11 at night, windy and pretty snowy.

Well zemo (countryman) i hope that you have enough Slavonian pork products :thup: in stock to fight with that cold menace :ninja:

There is about 10 cm snow :scared: in Split and it looks like it will stay a few days more (at least) - but difference is that we (Dalmatians) are not used to it at all so this is disaster for us :headbash:

Denis said:
Here in Rijeka, starting from this week it is very cold, the coldest winter that I've experienced so far- and it's constantly blowing, the air is moist & windy, so it's really chilly and uncomfortable to be outside, mostly because the wind is freezing to the bone.
It was - 6 °C in the morning and all throughout this day. The local meteorologists are announcing even colder temperatures for this weekend, not pleasant at all!

Hello to another zemo :cool: yes we too expect "bura" tomorrow afternoon and the temperature now is -4 and with that cold wind it will be a "-20" chilly feeling in Split :jawdrop:

Mrs.Tigersoap said:
Well, FWIW, this is exactly how we have felt recently: sometimes it's 2° and it feels like -5° because of the humidity and wind and this morning, we thought it was a bit better than yesterday and noticed it was in fact -10°! Some parts of Belgium were at -17°.

The first snow of winter came this afternoon. It snowed less than 3 cm and it provoked 1200 km of traffic jams on Belgium's motorways!
Bus transport in Brussels simply stopped and people were encouraged to take the metro. :O
What is Belgium going to do when the going will really gets tough??

Here is no transport at all - not only public is out o' order :thdown:

Well, it is kind of interesting, what kind of cognitive dissonance scientists develop, when it comes to hard winters and global warming, according to them: global warming is the reason for hard winters, at least this is then the result of the media spin.

Here is the presstext of a recently published study about these claims:

_http://www.awi.de/en/news/press_releases/detail/item/jaiser_et_al/?tx_list_pi1%5Bmode%5D=6&cHash=d713b40c5778fa6fe4a0c2ab991af5a0

Potsdam/Bremerhaven, 26 January 2012. Even if the current weather situation may seem to speak against it, the probability of cold winters with much snow in Central Europe rises when the Arctic is covered by less sea ice in summer. Scientists of the Research Unit Potsdam of the Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research in the Helmholtz Association have decrypted a mechanism in which a shrinking summertime sea ice cover changes the air pressure zones in the Arctic atmosphere and impacts our European winter weather. These results of a global climate analysis were recently published in a study in the scientific journal Tellus A.

If there is a particularly large-scale melt of Arctic sea ice in summer, as observed in recent years, two important effects are intensified. Firstly, the retreat of the light ice surface reveals the darker ocean, causing it to warm up more in summer from the solar radiation (ice-albedo feedback mechanism). Secondly, the diminished ice cover can no longer prevent the heat stored in the ocean being released into the atmosphere (lid effect). As a result of the decreased sea ice cover the air is warmed more greatly than it used to be particularly in autumn and winter because during this period the ocean is warmer than the atmosphere. "These higher temperatures can be proven by current measurements from the Arctic regions," reports Ralf Jaiser, lead author of the publication from the Research Unit Potsdam of the Alfred Wegener Institute.

The warming of the air near to the ground leads to rising movements and the atmosphere becomes less stable. “We have analysed the complex non-linear processes behind this destabilisation and have shown how these altered conditions in the Arctic influence the typical circulation and air pressure patterns," explains Jaiser. One of these patterns is the air pressure difference between the Arctic and mid-latitudes: the so-called Arctic oscillation with the Azores highs and Iceland lows known from the weather reports. If this difference is high, a strong westerly wind will result which in winter carries warm and humid Atlantic air masses right down to Europe. If the wind does not come, cold Arctic air can penetrate down through to Europe, as was the case in the last two winters. Model calculations show that the air pressure difference with decreased sea ice cover in the Arctic summer is weakened in the following winter, enabling Arctic cold to push down to mid-latitudes.

Despite the low sea ice cover in summer 2011, a cold winter with much snow has so far not occurred here in Germany. Jaiser explains this as follows: "Many other factors naturally play a role in the complex climate system of our Earth which overlap in part. Our results explain the mechanisms of how regional changes in the Arctic sea ice cover have a global impact and their effects over a period from late summer to winter. Other mechanisms are linked, for example, with the snow cover in Siberia or tropical influences. The interactions between these influential factors will be the subject matter of future research work and therefore represent a factor of uncertainty in forecasts.”

It is the aim of the Potsdam researchers to find and analyse further mechanisms and to correctly show the Earth’s climate system with the help of these mechanisms in models. “Our work contributes to reducing the existing uncertainties of the global climate model and developing more credible regional climate scenarios – an important foundation to enable people to adjust to the altered conditions," explains Prof. Dr. Klaus Dethloff, Head of the Atmospheric Circulation Section at the Research Unit Potsdam of the Alfred Wegener Institute.

Title of the original publication: R. Jaiser, K. Dethloff, D. Handorf, A. Rinke, J. Cohen, Impact of sea ice cover changes on the Northern Hemisphere atmospheric winter circulation, Tellus A 2012, 64, 11595, doi:10.3402/tellusa.v64i0.11595

It's pretty clear what is going on in their heads when they do that double talk/selection substitution: just read Altemeyer's "The Authoritarians". He has a whole chapter on their cognition.

What happens in their heads is incredible. One of my FB contacts is a warmist. He writes that the winter of 1956 in France was worse than today's, thus the actual cold is a proof of global warming... :shock:
I tried for several minutes to gasp the logics of his comment with no success!

i was available to get a hike in last night just before night fall for about an hour. The trail takes me up about another ( approx. ) 15 feet = 4.57200 meters. Where i stopped to turn back, the snow was another 10 inches = 25.4 centimeters higher, just below the knee caps.

Today we had a break with sunny, and clear sky's. :) Tonight there is a slight over cast, with a current temperature (at 11:44 pm) is a bone chilling 18* degrees Fahrenheit = -7 Celsius. :shock:

Update, 2-5-12, 13:15- It seems to have warmed a bit. It's raining popcorn hail, and the temperature has moved up to 37*F ( = 2.78 C ). But feels warmer like in the 40's or 50's (4.44 °C or 10 °C ), with no heat vapor that is observed while breathing. Intresting.

Update, 2-8-12, 20:45- It has been sunny clear sky's over the last few days, with only a white haze that obscures it from being blue. This is one of the first, winter's day, that the day time tempature did not get over 25*F (-3*C ) degree's all day. There were very light patch's of black ice from the small thaw that has occurred as temperature fluctuated. Something i don't remember witnessing the last two winters here. That goes for to days temp's. It usually warms when the sun is out, but it was different today. Looking at other post, much farther north east, this really is nothing compared to what they are having to deal with. So there are no complant's but it is different, much colder than before.

It is a very chilly 21*F (-6*C ) at this moment. The kind of cold that lays on one like a blanket, chilling the entire body very quickly. I can see this lasting the entire mouth for some reason, as it seems to just be hanging tuff, with no letting up any time soon. Telle est la vie, 2012.

I've always been something of a contrarian but please bear with me. If we can't study the minds of scientists and keep questioning data at least we can study nature itself for clues. One clue is the pattern of distribution of small creatures and plants. They are moving northwards away from the equator every year. We could push to find lots of reasons for this behaviour but the most likely explanation is - because they're too hot!

This proposes to my simple brain that the globe is indeed warming up.

Let's not forget Cass has stated the planet has a negative feedback mechanism. On a basic level, as the air becomes warmer it absorbs more water but that water is only released further north where the air is slightly cooler. Hence we find flooding, the Mississippi, Pakistan, as the precipitation is concentrated in fewer areas. Following the increased rains, these areas are likely to cool down even as the equator warms up. Eventually as mother earth becomes warmer it finds a way of cooling itself.

The snowfalls in the north do not negate this idea. I have no idea if we have reached the upper temperature limit or if this is just a lull in a process.

My worry is how much hotter can it get before the earth cools itself. It is the period between now and then that is most concerning, not the end point.

SoCurious said:
I've always been something of a contrarian but please bear with me. If we can't study the minds of scientists and keep questioning data at least we can study nature itself for clues. One clue is the pattern of distribution of small creatures and plants. They are moving northwards away from the equator every year. We could push to find lots of reasons for this behaviour but the most likely explanation is - because they're too hot!

Can you cite the sources of this information?

Laura said:
It's pretty clear what is going on in their heads when they do that double talk/selection substitution: just read Altemeyer's "The Authoritarians". He has a whole chapter on their cognition.

FWIW the book is also available online: http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~altemey/

And here is a topic about it: Hypocrisy of the Authoritarians

Hi Laura :D

I seem to remember first reading about it on Common Dreams but they don't seem to have an archives section. Anyhow I found this which should help.

http://news.discovery.com/animals/animals-migrating-north-global-warming-110818.html

-

I'm still only on chapter 49 on the Wave series and am astounded by the series of "misadventures" that has happened to you and yours. I'm living in your past and reading with crossed fingers hoping that life calms down for you and you find great happiness :lol: on top of the answers you and many of us are are looking for.

Best wishes to you and all your family.

SoCurious said:
I seem to remember first reading about it on Common Dreams but they don't seem to have an archives section. Anyhow I found this which should help.

http://news.discovery.com/animals/animals-migrating-north-global-warming-110818.html

The referenced paper can be found here:
_http://sciences.blogs.liberation.fr/files/esp%C3%A8ces-migrent-nord-et-haut.pdf

I haven't read it yet, just put it up here for those interested.

anart said:
hesperides said:
If you ever come here around again, I´ll be happy to meet you as I´m leaving near Las Canteras Beach. I´ve noticed in your site (didn't find your phone number or personal e-mail so as to avoid interrupting this thread and still haven't 50 posts that would allow me contacting you by e-mail) you´ll come over here again in June and if you wish so and find some free time, then let me know. Hope you have adjusted yourself again to the low temperature!

Hesperides, we strongly advise against contacting other forum members privately. We have learned time and time again that all it does is put both members in danger of energetic feeding, manipulation and negative feedback loops. Please understand how serious this danger is and that reaching 50 posts does not mean that you can email other members.

Thank you Anart for recalling me it´s a wise thing to do in taking my own vulnerability in account for my sake as well as for all members´one.

the winter here in south west germany is kind of freaky this year.
until now there was almost no snow falling. now it is pretty cold with temperatures of about -10 °C during the day and up to -19 °C in the night but still not much snow at all.
there was snow this year but very little.

until late january the weather was almost to warm for this time and instead of snow it rained.

Edit: clarity

Pashalis said:
the winter here in south west germany is kind of freaky this year.
until now there was almost no snow falling. now it is pretty cold with temperatures of about -10 °C during the day but still not much snow at all.
there was snow this year but very little.

until late january the weather was almost to warm for this time and instead of snow it rained.

Here in Poland the weather was very similar. Now my part of the country (southern Poland) is rather cold and dry with little snow, -12C/-17 C during days and -20/-30 C during nights for the last 10 days or so. Next week won't be any better (or so the forcasts said).

10 inches of snow and still coming down. Heavy and wet, some tree branches breaking and falling. Falling branches sometimes leads to power outages. :scared:

5 days ago it was sunny and 70 F.

Mac

Back
Top Bottom