The Ice Age Cometh! Forget Global Warming!

An unusual choice of words:
All of these animal signs remind me of the book "The Sixth Winter" that some of us read a few years ago.

Some time in the year future the next Ice Age will be triggered off. It could happen in a thousand years' time, or in a century from now.

Read the blurb about the author, John Gribben.
Some time in the year future </>Some time in the near future?

One quite startling difference I noticed in the years spring, summer and autumn was the lack of flies. All spring/summer I hardly saw/noticed any flesh flies of any size or description, while I saw/noticed no fruit flies at all the whole year. It was only in the beginning to mid-autumn that I noticed very, very few flesh flies appearing all of a sudden. It might not be true, but the number of flies I saw this year can probably be counted in one hand, at most!

I don't know if that was noticed in other places on the globe too, but I don't think I can remember ever not seeing many flies of any description flying around, especially in summer. Anyone else noticed that?

Something grabbed my attention in this 4 days animation of the warm/cold temperatures : look the bottom, or bottom-right for instance, Saudi Arabia, and see how the heat pulses ... it's like if ... well, i had in mind someting like "earth is breathing", it's once a day and it's easily explainable because the earth faces the sun, which makes temperatures raising. This remains noticable, and when you compare with the cold waves coming from the north, there's no such "heartbeat" phenomenom. The difference of "acting" (if i can say) is noticeable, it's like if the warm-kind-of-hearbeat in the south represents life, and the cold waves are more acting like if they constantly try to find a crack and quickly fall into it. Well, just a notice i wanted to post :)

I don't know if that was noticed in other places on the globe too, but I don't think I can remember ever not seeing many flies of any description flying around, especially in summer. Anyone else noticed that?
Not here (belgium), I will not say that i had tons of flies compared to ...20y before, but we had quite a good number, and I still have some here hanging around in my flat at this right moment. I do not try to kill them, only Pixelle (my cat/friend) sometimes try to catch them ^^

Last edited:
In Alaska, I noticed a lack of insects, but dragon flies were abundant. The heat probably made the bugs stay in the shade of the woods. And the Robins - they were around until the heat came, and then they went away.
Usually, the window sills will have dead flies - none this year.

One quite startling difference I noticed in the years spring, summer and autumn was the lack of flies. All spring/summer I hardly saw/noticed any flesh flies of any size or description, while I saw/noticed no fruit flies at all the whole year. It was only in the beginning to mid-autumn that I noticed very, very few flesh flies appearing all of a sudden. It might not be true, but the number of flies I saw this year can probably be counted in one hand, at most!

Now that you mention it, yeah, and it's strange. Even many fewer of the green stinkbugs. But, of course, ever present mosquitoes.

Quite a normal year regarding flies (and abundance of fruitflies) here in the country side om Norway. The hunters talk about abundance of deer lice flies, an insect that is coming more and more. A creepy one, comes in a swarm, and you have to take it off one by one. It connects to your skin and stay.
As for the animals fat, they (2 different teams in 2 diff parts of the country Østlandet and Vestlandet ) say that the deers have a lot of fat but the moose seems to be normal.
We have a lot of rowanberries this year. This could indicate a snowy winther.

But whats not normal is the temp. I am about 2 h driving north of oslo, and 400 m over sealevel. My roses is blooming as is other flowers. I have had only one night with minus degrees so far this autumn.

It would be curious to get reports from other "bear countries" and if their bears are still happily engaged in fat storing, or they already went to hibernate.
In Poland, bears are still happily engaged in fat storing despite quite chilly temperatures.

Despite the cold weather, the bears have not gone for their winter rest yet. They are still active and visible. "Reptiles and bats are also observed," Krosno State Forest spokesman Edward Marszałek told PAP on Friday.
Podkarpacie is home to over 200 brown bears; almost 90 percent of the Polish population.

It might not be true, but the number of flies I saw this year can probably be counted in one hand, at most!

Quite a normal year regarding flies here in central Poland. Altough, it depends on the species. For example, comparing to previous years, there were even more flesh flies, a normal number of fruit flies and, for the firs time, I even spotted two really big giant horse flies in our house. Mosquitoes were in abundance and are still present, which I cosider strange giving quite low temperatures lately. The only flies that I have not observed this year are spotted wing drosophila. Last year they were in abundance near the dogwood trees.

WeatherStory2-min.png

Beijing suffered its first winter freeze of -0.2C yesterday, 20 days earlier than average, while it's the lowest October temperature in 52 years logged by a city observatory. Local meteorologists have expressed concerns that central and eastern China’s early chill could be a harbinger of a brutal winter to come. Such an event would heap added pressure on depleted coal and gas reserves, and compound the global energy crisis.

Sunday’s cold wave hit fast and hard, driving temperatures down some 10C in a matter of hours–particularly in the provinces of Hebei, Shandong, Henan, Anhui and Jiangsu where residents jokingly likened the rapid cool-down to the “quick-freeze mode” of a fridge.

Rare October snows have accompanied the rare October lows:
On Saturday, during the National Day holiday, flakes were reported on mountain peaks across the north. Snow also settled on Mount Baiyun, near Luoyang, over the weekend–a locale that doesn’t usually welcome its first snow until late November or early December.

The latest GFS runs (shown below) see further unusual cold and early-season snow hitting large parts of Asia:

GFS Total Snowfall (cm) Oct 18 – Nov 3 [tropicaltidbits.com].

A Beijing-based expert told the Global Times that the continent’s cold wave was being caused by “the westerly”, a wind which brings cold and dry air from Siberia to China. This pattern occurs every season, but it arrived much earlier this year amid “atmospheric circulation anomalies” — in other words, the jet streams went ‘out-of-whack’ and drove Arctic air anomalously-far south for the time of year (a phenomenon associated to low solar activity, such as the historically low output we’re experiencing now):

As you’d expect, China’s early-season freeze has driven up heating and power demand — a huge challenge for the country, and indeed the world, which was already scrambling to restock coal and gas reserves before winter-proper descends.

Careful with charts showing “the future”

I noticed regarding GFS snowfall totals which are based on the 00z run from 18 Oct 2021 - how deceiving such prognosis charts can be (due to their rapid changes in every new prognosis every 6 hours, going into an opposite scenario at times)

Ultimately; they are just models. An assumtion.

Why do I say this ? I looked in the snow chart prognosis for Sweden where I live being more familiar with the weather patterns (compared to China i mean) - noticing that GFS predicts up to 2-3 inches of snow for our area in the aforementioned GFS 00z run.

Nope. Nix. No snow.

In the latest run this evening 18z, GFS shows now - no snow what so ever for Stockholm in the next 14 days. What a flip-flop !! Swedish SMHI isn’t indicating any snow either for the next 10 days. Albeit, their own predictions can be pretty crappy beyond day 3-4.

A good orientation would be - skip everything beyond day 4.

It is one of the reason I do not write about expected dramatic weather events (“coming in one week”) in the forum, because it would more often than not, result into noise. GFS is the dramaqueen of predicted future weather up to 14 days - and i have in the past walked into that trap too many times at my own homepage :lol: writing about such (pseudo) events; Up like a sun - falling flat like a pancake. :whistle:

Continental areas

There is of course the option that for continental areas like China, Russia (Siberia) and Mongolia (and north America), weather changes and flows may be a bit easier to predict; in how cyclones and anticyclones are expected to move, being more easily aligned with reality later on.

Yet, for Scandinavia the weather patterns are not really easy to predict beyond day 3 due to the countries position, wedged between the warm Atlantic and cold continental Russia (later Autumn, Winter, and early spring) It usually works better with strong, stable winter anticyclones - and a general prognosis can hold for 5+ days (e.g. permanent overcast weather to be expected, 0°C and with some snowflakes. Tralallaaaa).

So what I wish to point out is, that beyond day 4 - the weather chart predictions become pretty crappy in my opinion.

It tells a tale of computer models are creating beautiful colorful charts. Because they can, not because they are particularly accurate for day 5, 9 or 14.

October is the month

Sure is, that October is the month when snow starts to take over the arctic areas in the North, and winter is attempting to go more southwards. Sometimes it works that early but not every year.

Certain Patterns

One pattern I have noticed is that when bizarre cold air travels southeastwards over North America / East Canada repeatedly - it induces powerful cyclones over the Atlantic on their way to Europe, leading to milder than normal temperatures in Scandinavia, with lots of winds, milder airmasses and clouds keeping the atmosphere mixed (milder temperatures in the lower atmosphere, reaulting into frost free nights in south Sweden. Like a highway of constant cyclonic activity swooping over Scandinavia.

Only when a second cold pole establish itself over northwest Russia, we get thosr really ice cold winters here; then the Atlantic cyclones are being either blocked, or lead in such a way that they pass south of Scandinavia.

Now this was an awful lot about Scandinavia and not Chinese weather :-[ But I can’t speak for China because I am not familiar with their weather patterns and do not wish to utter things without basis.

One quite startling difference I noticed in the years spring, summer and autumn was the lack of flies. All spring/summer I hardly saw/noticed any flesh flies of any size or description, while I saw/noticed no fruit flies at all the whole year
Then all your flies and green stinkbugs migrated to Hungary (West of Ukraine), because we had just sort of a "locust invasion" of all of those. Our apricot tree was swarmed by them. They diligently sucked on the raspberries en masse, brown, green and blackish smaller stinkbug beasts as well! Dunno why were the apricots a "secret base" for them, because they were occupying the fruits, like bees guarding the nest.

Flies everywhere. All sizes. Several models of the smaller ones created frequent swarms as if they were one organism. Lots of fruit flies and all their kindred 'other kinds' that loves to swarm on streets to get on your clothes and hair (into your eyes if you don't wear sunglasses).

Actually all our trees - despite having been sprayed - were attacked by various fruit-fly sized pests. The leaves on one small tree were fully covered with soft, long, tiny white bugs. Fat flesh flies ate our grapewine, then wasps started eating the flies and they continued with the grapewine as well.

Since I'm a movie nerd, I was thanking God / DCM that bugs, flies are not dog-sized or bigger (like in movies), because then we would have been in big trouble!

Last edited:
Ice Age Theory

I'm thinking about winter and the snow it brings, and one thing about winter this far north in Alaska, is snow generally falls in the 20°F - 30°F range - any colder then the precipitation cycle is itself frozen. And when it gets real cold, frost clings to the trees. So, for snow to fall in great quantities, something must put all that moisture in the air - because of the suns radiance, it finds its way to a cold front and falls as snow.
So all is within this variance of climate cycles. And it is constant. 24 hour day. A rotation around the sun, geography, the season, ect.
So, volcanoes can account for cooling - putting ash in the atmosphere and blocking the sun. But with cooling comes less radiance and evaporation.
But a meteor impact on an ocean can put into the atmosphere all the water and conditions needed for a ice age to start. And so, an ice age is a result of a large impact. And as bad as the weather has been getting, it is still in variance and will swing to the extremes, but not be the cause of a ice age.
So the theory is - ice age science is the study of meteor impact aftermath more than climatology. The climate slowly erodes the effect by its cyclical permanence.

Ice Age Theory

I'm thinking about winter and the snow it brings, and one thing about winter this far north in Alaska, is snow generally falls in the 20°F - 30°F range - any colder then the precipitation cycle is itself frozen. And when it gets real cold, frost clings to the trees. So, for snow to fall in great quantities, something must put all that moisture in the air - because of the suns radiance, it finds its way to a cold front and falls as snow.
So all is within this variance of climate cycles. And it is constant. 24 hour day. A rotation around the sun, geography, the season, ect.
So, volcanoes can account for cooling - putting ash in the atmosphere and blocking the sun. But with cooling comes less radiance and evaporation.
But a meteor impact on an ocean can put into the atmosphere all the water and conditions needed for a ice age to start. And so, an ice age is a result of a large impact. And as bad as the weather has been getting, it is still in variance and will swing to the extremes, but not be the cause of a ice age.
So the theory is - ice age science is the study of meteor impact aftermath more than climatology. The climate slowly erodes the effect by its cyclical permanence.

Yes, I see the problem. It was one that bugged me for a long time. In order to have increased precipitation of any kind, you must have increased evaporation which is a function of heat.

So, it seems to me that the heating of the earth in some manner might solve part of the equation, and we do see that to some extent. Maybe more than a bit, too. Think of all the newly identified things of the past 20 years: atmospheric rivers, strange new types of clouds heavily laden with moisture, 'bombogenesis' etc. And all the erupting volcanoes and heat that is more than likely emanating from within the earth itself if the Cs are to be believed.

Back
Top Bottom