The Magnesium Miracle

Rabelais said:
I filled the tub and added about a cup and a half of MgCl salts. After painfully determining that the water was way too hot, and having cooled it down to tolerable, I immersed. After 15 minutes or so I began to get rather light headed and was starting to perspire profusely, which was not surprising, considering the temperature of the water. Figuring that I had had enough for a first experience, I pulled the plug. After the tub drained, I stood to shower off the residue from my skin. I felt an alarming vertigo and dizziness which lasted for an hour or two (I never have vertigo). This was followed by feelings of detachment from the body and lightheadedness. I could not get my body to normalize temperature for 2 or 3 hours, after which I felt extreme fatigue.

Rabelais, that describes very closely an experience I had in the bath late 2008. As far as I remember I was trying out an 'oats-soak', so there was no MgCl in the water. I wasn't long in the bath when my hands, then arms, then legs were tingling madly. It reached a crescendo and I had to remove myself from the tub very slowly, in stages actually. Stand up too quick and I felt I would faint from dizziness. The big difference between my experience and yours is that I recovered after a few hours of weirdness.

This happened soon after I'd begun taking supplements, doing the detox diet and having FIR saunas, so the new regimen of magnesium may have played a role in provoking this strong reaction.

I wonder though. A few years ago I got up too quickly in the tub and reached for the shower to rinse off... next thing I know I'm coming around, one leg hanging over the side of the tub, the back of my head really sore... I'd blacked out from the head-rush and knocked my head off the edge of the bath-tub! Very frightening at the time as I realised anything could have happened.

More about general toxicity, chronic diseases and our beloved magnesium:

Multiple Sclerosis

Magnesium, Selenium, Iodine and Mercury Connection

http://imva.info/index.php/mercury-medicine/multiple-sclerosis/#arrive

There is no disputing the fact that modern pharmaceutical medicine has not solved nor cured any of the modern chronic disease plagues that are morphing out of control into pandemics. What is going on in the areas of cancer, diabetes, heart disease, strokes and neurological disease is painting a horrific image of the failure of contemporary medicine, which seems unable to learn anything about what will make a difference for their patients. They are good to go with words of promise but they don’t deliver and things are only getting worse in terms of public health.

It is difficult to treat any disease today without paying attention to the profound magnesium deficiencies that exist in nearly 100 percent of sufferers of chronic disease. We could easily say the same for bicarbonate and iodine and when we pay attention to all three at the same time our work in helping people recover from their suffering and pain is greatly eased. This is especially true when it comes to neurological diseases.

The central nervous system is extremely sensitive and reacts to a combination of factors that allopathic doctors don’t normally touch down on. Toxic exposures, nutritional deficiencies and emotional anguish converge most pointedly on the nervous system with often catastrophic results. As we will see below one of the main disasters facing people today are wide ranging exposure to both mercury and aluminum; metals at the top of the list that cause neurological damage.

Toxic substances, such as mercury, which the body is chronically exposed to, accumulates in the brain, pituitary gland, CNS, liver, kidneys, etc. and can damage, inhibit, and cause imbalances at very low levels of exposure. Heavy metals can cause major neurological, immunological, and metabolic damage.

Each individual will be seen to have their own unique combination of neurological, endocrine, and enzymatic imbalances along with autoimmunities that result from the above factors. Symptoms will vary resulting in different differential diagnoses: multiple sclerosis (MS), Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Alzheimer’s Disease (AD), or Parkinson’s Disease (PD), Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE), and eve rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).

Multiple Sclerosis is difficult to address, both because the symptoms are so variable and treatments are often ineffective. This disease affects the central nervous system by damaging the myelin sheaths surrounding nerves of the brain and spinal cord. Primarily affecting teenagers and young adults of Northern European descent, the disorder begins between ages 10 and 50 in almost all affected individuals. About 400,000 people in the United States have MS; twice as many women as men.

Although the cause remains officially unknown, it is widely thought to begin as an autoimmune inflammation with magnesium deficiency at the core. In studies it’s been shown that there was a significantly lower value of magnesium than that seen in control cases. The most marked reduction of magnesium content was observed in CNS white matter including demyelinated plaques of MS samples.[1]

Magnesium protects the cells from aluminum, mercury, lead, cadmium, beryllium and nickel. Evidence is mounting that low levels of magnesium contribute to the heavy metal deposition in the brain that precedes Parkinson´s, multiple sclerosis and Alzheimer´s. Research has shown that the symptoms of MS are very similar to Mercury poisoning.[2] Mercury is a primary cause of inflammation in our bodies.

The rate of relapse in multiple sclerosis was found to be
decreased with dietary magnesium supplementation.[3]

Magnesium deficiency causes and underpins chronic inflammatory build ups. Inflammation is the missing link to explain the role of magnesium in many pathological conditions. Dr. Mazur says, “Magnesium deficiency contributes to an exaggerated response to immune stress and oxidative stress is the consequence of the inflammatory response.” Magnesium deficiencies feed the fires of inflammation and pain and it is magnesium that modulates cellular events involved in inflammation. Increases in extracellular magnesium concentration cause a decrease in the inflammatory response while reduction in the extracellular magnesium results in cell activation.

Magnesium is central to immunocompetence and
plays a crucial role in natural and adaptive immunity.[4]

MS sufferers have a wide variety of symptoms that often begin rather abruptly and proceed at a highly variable and unpredictable pace. Common early symptoms include numbness, pins and needles sensations, incoordination, weakness especially in the legs, painful loss of vision in one eye, double vision, dizziness, pain at various sites, urinary symptoms and impotence. Symptoms of MS that are also symptoms of magnesium deficiency include muscle spasms, weakness, twitching, muscle atrophy, an inability to control the bladder, nystagmus (rapid eye movements), hearing loss, and osteoporosis.

What is essential to remember about treating pain with magnesium is
that it treats both the symptom and the cause of pain. Meaning the
cause of the pain can often be traced back to a magnesium deficiency.

Researchers have found oral magnesium therapy effective on patients with multiple sclerosis. In one formally reported case a 35-year-old woman suffered with severe spastic paraplegia resulting from multiple sclerosis (MS). A significant improvement in the spasticity was found after only 1 week from the onset of the treatment on the modified Ashworth scale, an improvement in the range of motion and in the measures of angles at resting position in lower limbs.[5]

Nystagmus is characterized by an involuntary movement of the eyes, often noted as a shaky or wiggly movement and has been directly tied to magnesium deficiencies. People with MS also have higher rates of epilepsy than controls. Epilepsy has also been linked to magnesium deficiencies. Without doubt magnesium supplementation accompanied by pH control via diet and the use of sodium bicarbonate will do wonders for not only Multiple Sclerosis patients but also Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease sufferers.

Iodine

The relatively low prevalence of multiple sclerosis in Japan, despite its temperate latitude, has puzzled many researchers. We know though that their soils have some of the world’s highest known levels of iodine caused by the use of seaweed as a fertilizer. Deficiencies of this essential trace element appear to be associated with many diseases, or birth defects, including goitre, cretinism, multiple sclerosis, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and cancer of the thyroid and nervous system. Although the evidence is weaker, iodine deficiency may also be implicated in Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases. It should be obvious to physicians that mineral deficiencies are at the center of chronic diseases, which can be largely avoided if appropriate replenishment is stressed.

People with MS may also have low levels of selenium or of glutathione peroxidase, an enzyme produced from selenium. A theory explaining the pathogenesis of MS concerns an increased stickiness of cellular plasma membranes, hampering normal vascular function of the brain. In agreement with that theory researchers have found significantly lowered selenium values and lowered glutathione peroxidase activities.[6]

MS and Mercury Exposure

Dental amalgam is documented by medical studies and medical lab tests to be the largest source of both inorganic and methyl mercury in most people who have several mercury amalgam fillings. Very low levels of exposure have been found to seriously affect individuals who are immune sensitive to toxic metals, or have an inability to detoxify metals due to such as deficient sulfoxidation or metallothionein function or other inhibited enzymatic processes related to detoxification or excretion of metals.

Amalgam exposures are commonly above government health guidelines. This is due to continuous vaporization of mercury from amalgam in the mouth, along with galvanic currents from mixed metals in the mouth that deposit the mercury in the gums and oral cavity. Mercury is one of the most toxic substances in existence and is known to bioaccumulate in the body of people and animals that have chronic exposure.

A large epidemiological study of 35,000 Americans by the National Institute of Health, the nation’s principal health statistics agency, found that there was a significant correlation between having a greater than average number of dental amalgam surfaces and having chronic conditions such as epilepsy, MS, or migraine headaches. MS clusters in areas with high metals emissions from facilities such as metal smelters have been documented.

Mercury has been found to accumulate preferentially in the brain, major organs, hormone glands, and primary motor function related areas involved in ALS- such as the brain stem, cerebellum, rhombencephalon, dorsal root ganglia, and anterior horn motor neurons, which enervate the skeletal muscles.

Mercury and magnesium deficiencies are at the root of inflammation so it is important to understand that chelation of mercury will relieve many of the problems caused by it, and that magnesium will protect our cells from the inflammation that mercury causes. Magnesium is a necessary factor in chelation, for without it chelation will not be successful.[7] Heavy metals like cadmium, lead, & mercury compete with nutritional magnesium, keeping it from availability to protect our cells. The healthy cell wall favors intake of nutrients and elimination of waste products and this is one of the reasons magnesium is so important in detoxification and chelation.

Magnesium is a crucial factor in the natural self-
cleansing and detoxification responses of the body

Because magnesium protects cells from aluminum, mercury, lead, cadmium, beryllium and nickel, it explains why re-mineralization is so essential for heavy metal detoxification and chelation. Magnesium protects the cell against oxyradical damage and assists in the absorption and metabolism of B vitamins, vitamin C and E, which are anti-oxidants important in cell protection.

According to Dr. Russell Blaylock, low magnesium is associated with dramatic increases in free radical generation as well as glutathione depletion and this is vital since glutathione is one of the few antioxidant molecules known to neutralize mercury. Chelation of mercury and supplementation of magnesium must take place together.

Other Factors

Eating a deficient diet is not the only way we can strip our body of the minerals it needs to protect itself from heavy metal exposure. Many pharmaceuticals including over the counter medicines drive down magnesium levels creating ripe conditions for neurological devastation. For example in 1992 researchers reported a case of magnesium deficiency associated with acetaminophen abuse. Metabolic studies showed that the patient’s fractional excretion of magnesium was 12% when her serum magnesium level was 1.0 mg/dL. Renal biopsy demonstrated severe tubulointerstitial disease. The significant wasting of magnesium at a time when serum magnesium levels were depressed suggests renal magnesium wasting syndrome. This defect was related to abuse of acetaminophen.[8]

[1] Magnesium concentration in brains from multiple sclerosis patientsACTA NEUROL. SCAND. (Denmark), 1990, 81/3 (197-200)

[2] _http://www.flcv.com/ms.html

[3] Multiple sclerosis: Decreased relapse rate through dietary supplementation with calcium, magnesium and vitamin D; MED. HYPOTHESES (UK), 1986, 21/2 (193-200)

[4] Mag Res. 1992:5:281-93

[5] P. Rossier , S. van Erven and D. T. Wade Rivermead Rehabilitation Centre, Abingdon Road, Oxford England (DOI) 10.1046/j.1468-1331.2000.00142.x

[6] Biol Trace Elem Res. 1988 Jan-Apr;15:179-203. Selenium in chronic neurologic diseases. Multiple sclerosis and Batten’s disease. Clausen J, Jensen GE, Nielsen SA. Institute for Life Sciences and Chemistry, University of Roskilde, Denmark.

[7] Magnesium ions constitute the physiologically active magnesium in the body; they are not attached to other substances and are free to join in biochemical body processes.5 This is one basic reason magnesium helps to detoxify toxic chemicals and helps eliminate heavy metals from the body. Another reason would be the part it plays in glutathione production but undoubtedly, as Dr. Haley indicates, the Mg-ATP provides the crucial energy to remove each toxicant. A magnesium ion is an atom that is missing two electrons, which makes it search to attach to something that will replace its missing electrons so it is actively and directly involved in diminishing heavy metal toxicity. Magnesium appears to be a competitive inhibitor of lead and cadmium. An increased level of magnesium has been shown to eliminate lead and cadmium through the urine and has also been reported to reduce the toxic effects of aluminum.

[8] Renal magnesium wasting associated with acetaminophen abuse. Tuso PJ, Nortman D. UCLA School of Medicine. Conn Med. 1992 Aug;56 (8):421-3.

This update is also very interested and it is focused on cancer and magnesium.

Magnesium and Cancer Research

http://magnesiumforlife.com/medical-application/magnesium-and-cancer/

Aleksandrowicz et al in Poland conclude that inadequacy of magnesium and antioxidants are important risk factors in predisposing to leukemias.[2] Other researchers found that 46% of the patients admitted to an ICU in a tertiary cancer center presented hypomagnesemia. They concluded that the incidence of hypomagnesemia in critically ill cancer patients is high.[3]In animal studies we find that magnesium deficiency has caused lymphopoietic neoplasms in young rats. A study of rats surviving magnesium deficiency sufficient to cause death in convulsions during early infancy in some, and cardiorenal lesions weeks later in others, disclosed that some of survivors had thymic nodules or lymphosarcoma.[4]

One would not normally think that Magnesium (Mg) deficiency can paradoxically increase the risk of, or protect against cancer yet we will find that just as severe dehydration or asphyxiation can cause death magnesium deficiency can directly lead to cancer. When you consider that over 300 enzymes and ion transport require magnesium and that its role in fatty acid and phospholipids acid metabolism affects permeability and stability of membranes, we can see that magnesium deficiency would lead to physiological decline in cells setting the stage for cancer. Anything that weakens cell physiology will lead to the infections that surround and penetrate tumor tissues. These infections are proving to be an integral part of cancer. Magnesium deficiency poses a direct threat to the health of our cells. Without sufficient amounts our cells calcify and rot. Breeding grounds for yeast and fungi colonies they become, invaders all too ready to strangle our life force and kill us.

Over 300 different enzymes systems rely upon magnesium to facilitate
their catalytic action, including ATP metabolism, creatine-kinase
activation, adenylate-cyclase, and sodium-potassium-ATPase.[5]

It is known that carcinogenesis induces magnesium distribution disturbances, which cause magnesium mobilization through blood cells and magnesium depletion in non-neoplastic tissues. Magnesium deficiency seems to be carcinogenic, and in case of solid tumors, a high level of supplemented magnesium inhibits carcinogenesis.[6] Both carcinogenesis and magnesium deficiency increase the plasma membrane permeability and fluidity. Scientists have in fact found out that there is much less Mg++ binding to membrane phospholipids of cancer cells, than to normal cell membranes.[7]

Magnesium protects cells from aluminum,
mercury, lead, cadmium, beryllium and nickel.

Magnesium in general is essential for the survival of our cells but takes on further importance in the age of toxicity where our bodies are being bombarded on a daily basis with heavy metals. Glutathione requires magnesium for its synthesis.[8] Glutathione synthetase requires ?-glutamyl cysteine, glycine, ATP, and magnesium ions to form glutathione.[9] In magnesium deficiency, the enzyme y-glutamyl transpeptidase is lowered.[10] According to Dr. Russell Blaylock, low magnesium is associated with dramatic increases in free radical generation as well as glutathione depletion and this is vital since glutathione is one of the few antioxidant molecules known to neutralize mercury.[11] Without the cleaning and chelating work of glutathione (magnesium) cells begin to decay as cellular filth and heavy metals accumulates; excellent environments to attract deadly infection/cancer.

There is drastic change in ionic flux from the outer
and inner cell membranes both in the impaired
membranes of cancer, and in Mg deficiency.

Anghileri et al[12],[13] proposed that modifications of cell membranes are principal triggering factors in cell transformation leading to cancer. Using cells from induced cancers, they found that there is much less magnesium binding to membrane phospholipids of cancer cells, than to normal cell membranes.[14] It has been suggested that Mg deficiency may trigger carcinogenesis by increasing membrane permeability.[15] Magnesium deficient cells membranes seem to have a smoother surface than normal, and decreased membrane viscosity, analogous to changes in human leukemia cells.[16],[17] There is drastic change in ionic flux from the outer and inner cell membranes (higher Ca and Na; lower Mg and K levels), both in the impaired membranes of cancer, and of Mg deficiency. And we find that lead (Pb) salts, are more leukemogenic when given to Mg deficient rats, than when they are given to Mg-adequate rats, suggesting that Mg is protective.[18]

Magnesium has an effect on a variety of cell membranes
through a process involving calcium channels and ion transport
mechanisms. Magnesium is responsible for the maintenance
of the trans-membrane gradients of sodium and potassium.

Long ago researchers postulated that magnesium supplementation of those who are Mg deficient, like chronic alcoholics, might decrease emergence of malignancies[19] and now modern researchers have found that all types of alcohol — wine, beer or liquor — add equally to the risk of developing breast cancer in women. The researchers, led by Dr. Arthur Klatsky of the Kaiser Permanente Medical Care Program in Oakland, Calif., revealed their findings at a meeting of the European Cancer Organization in Barcelona in late 2007. It was found that women who had one or two drinks a day increased their risk of developing breast cancer by 10 percent. Women who had more than three drinks a day raised their risk by 30 percent. The more one drinks the more one drives down magnesium levels.

Breast cancer is the second most common cancer
killer of women, after lung cancer. It will be diagnosed in
1.2 million people globally this year and will kill 500,000.

According to data published in the British Journal of Cancer in 2002, 4 percent of all breast cancers — about 44,000 cases a year — in the United Kingdom are due to alcohol consumption. It’s an important question though, and one not asked by medical or health officials, is it the alcohol itself or the resultant drop in magnesium levels that is cancer provoking? Though some studies have shown that light- to moderate alcohol use can protect against heart attacks it does us no good to drink if it causes cancer. Perhaps if magnesium was supplemented in women drinkers who were studied there would have been no increase of cancer from drinking.

Alcohol has always been known to deplete magnesium,
and is one of the first supplements given to alcoholics
when they stop and attempt to detoxify and withdraw.

Researchers from the School of Public Health at the University of Minnesota have just concluded that diets rich in magnesium reduced the occurrence of colon cancer.[20] A previous study from Sweden[21] reported that women with the highest magnesium intake had a 40 per cent lower risk of developing the cancer than those with the lowest intake of the mineral.

Magnesium stabilizes ATP[22], allowing
DNA and RNA transcriptions and repairs.[23]

The anti-colon cancer effects of calcium are linked to magnesium levels, says a new study. Researchers from Vanderbilt University found that low ratios of the minerals were associated with reduced risk of colorectal cancer, according to findings presented at the Seventh Annual American Association for Cancer Research International Conference on Frontiers in Cancer Prevention Research. Both high magnesium and calcium levels have been linked to reduced risks of colon cancer but studies have also shown that high calcium levels inhibit the absorption of magnesium. According to Qi Dai, MD, PhD, and co-workers, Americans have high calcium intake, but also a high incidence of colorectal cancer. “If calcium levels were involved alone, you’d expect the opposite direction. There may be something about these two factors combined – the ratio of one to the other – that might be at play,” said Dai. The risk of colorectal cancer adenoma recurrence was reduced by 32 per cent among those with baseline calcium to magnesium ratio below the median in comparison to no reduction for those above the median,” said Dai.[24]

Pre-treatment hypomagnesemia has been reported
in young leukemic children, 78% of whom have histories
of anorexia, and have excessive gut and urinary losses of Mg.[25]

Several studies have shown an increased cancer rate in regions with low magnesium levels in soil and drinking water, and the same for selenium. In Egypt the cancer rate was only about 10% of that in Europe and America. In the rural fellah it was practically non-existent. The main difference was an extremely high magnesium intake of 2.5 to 3g in these cancer-free populations, ten times more than in most western countries.[26]

The School of Public Health at the Kaohsiung Medical College in,
Taiwan, found that magnesium also exerts a protective effect
against gastric cancer, but only for the group with the highest levels.[27]

If we looked it would probably be very difficult to find a cancer patient with anywhere near normal levels of cellular magnesium meaning cancer probably does not exist in a physical cellular environment full of magnesium. It makes perfect medical sense to saturate the body with magnesium through transdermal means. Magnesium deficiency has been implicated in a host of clinical disorders but the medical establishment just cannot get it through its thick skull that it is an important medicine.

It is as if the collective medical profession had just pulled the plug on medical intelligence. In fact it has done exactly this and it seems too late for it to redefine itself, which is a tragedy. Though magnesium improves the internal production of defensive substances, such as antibodies and considerably improves the operational activity of white granulozytic blood cells (shown by Delbert with magnesium chloride), and contributes to many other functions that insure the integrity of cellular metabolism, no one thinks to use it in cancer as a primary treatment. It is even worse than this, the medical establishment does not even use magnesium as a secondary treatment or even use it at all and gladly uses radiation and chemo therapy, both of which force magnesium levels down further.

To not replete cellular magnesium levels would be negligent especially in the case of cancer where a person’s life is on the line. An oncologist who ignores his patient’s magnesium levels would be analogous to an emergency room physician not rushing resuscitation when a person stops breathing. If one elects to have or has already had chemotherapy they have four times the reason to pay attention to a concentrated protocol aimed at replenishing full magnesium cellular stores.

Magnesium chloride is the first and most important item in any person’s cancer treatment strategy. Put in the clearest terms possible, our suggestion from the first day on the Survival Medicine Cancer Protocol is to almost drown oneself in transdermally applied magnesium chloride. It should be the first not the last thing we think of when it comes to cancer. It takes about three to four months to drive up cellular magnesium levels to where they should be when treated intensely transdermally but within days patients will commonly experience its life saving medical/healing effects. For many people whose bodies are starving for magnesium the experience is not too much different than for a person coming out of a desert desperate for water. It is that basic to life, that important, that necessary.

That same power found in magnesium that will save your life in the emergency room during cardiac arrest, that will diminish damage of a stroke if administered in a timely fashion is the same power that can save one’s life if one has cancer. All a patient has to do is pour it into their baths or spray it right onto their bodies. What could be simpler?

Magnesium chloride, when applied directly
to the skin, is transdermally absorbed and has an
almost immediate effect on chronic and acute pain.

Special Note on Calcium and Cancer:

Experts say excessive calcium intake may be unwise in light of recent studies showing that high amounts of the mineral may increase risk of prostate cancer. “There is reasonable evidence to suggest that calcium may play an important role in the development of prostate cancer,” says Dr. Carmen Rodriguez, senior epidemiologist in the epidemiology and surveillance research department of the American Cancer Society (ACS). Rodriguez says that a 1998 Harvard School of Public Health study of 47,781 men found those consuming between 1,500 and 1,999 mg of calcium per day had about double the risk of being diagnosed with metastatic (cancer that has spread to other parts of the body) prostate cancer as those getting 500 mg per day or less. And those taking in 2,000 mg or more had over four times the risk of developing metastatic prostate cancer as those taking in less than 500 mg.

Calcium and magnesium are opposites in their effects
on our body structure. As a general rule, the more
rigid and inflexible our body structure is, the
less calcium and the more magnesium we need.

Later in 1998, Harvard researchers published a study of dairy product intake among 526 men diagnosed with prostate cancer and 536 similar men not diagnosed with the disease. That study found a 50% increase in prostate cancer risk and a near doubling of risk of metastatic prostate cancer among men consuming high amounts of dairy products, likely due, say the researchers, to the high total amount of calcium in such a diet. The most recent Harvard study on the topic, published in October 2001, looked at dairy product intake among 20,885 men and found men consuming the most dairy products had about 32% higher risk of developing prostate cancer than those consuming the least.

The adverse effects of excessive calcium intake may include high blood calcium levels, kidney stone formation and kidney complications.[28] Elevated calcium levels are also associated with arthritic/joint and vascular degeneration, calcification of soft tissue, hypertension and stroke, and increase in VLDL triglycerides, gastrointestinal disturbances, mood and depressive disorders, chronic fatigue, and general mineral imbalances including magnesium, zinc, iron and phosphorus. High calcium levels interfere with Vitamin D and subsequently inhibit the vitamin’s cancer protective effect unless extra amounts of Vitamin D are supplemented.[29]

Magnesium is the mineral of rejuvenation and prevents
the calcification of our organs and tissues that is
characteristic of the old-age related degeneration of our body.

Recommendations of magnesium to calcium ratios range from 1:2 to 1:1. For those interested in preventing cancer one should look closely at the 1:1 camp and during the first six months of treatment one should be looking at ten parts magnesium to one part calcium. In reality one need not even count the ratio during the first months for the only real danger of extremely high magnesium levels comes with patients suffering from kidney failure. If one is at all concerned about their calcium intake one should eat foods high in both calcium and magnesium like toasted sesame seeds.

Up to 30% of the energy of cells is
used to pump calcium out of the cells.

Doctors who have used intravenous magnesium treatments know the benefits of peaking magnesium levels, even if only temporarily. For the cancer patient the transdermal approach combined with oral use offers the opportunity to take magnesium levels up strongly and quickly. For emergency situations three applications a day, for urgent two treatments would be indicated though one strong treatment with an ounce of a natural magnesium chloride solution spread all over the body like a sun screen is a powerful systemic treatment.

It is medical wisdom that tells us that magnesium is actually the key to the body’s proper assimilation and use of calcium, as well as other important nutrients. If we consume too much calcium, without sufficient magnesium, the excess calcium is not utilized correctly and may actually become toxic, causing painful conditions in the body. Hypocalcemia is a prominent manifestation of magnesium deficiency in humans (Rude et al., 1976). Even mild degrees of magnesium depletion significantly decreases the serum calcium concentration (Fatemi et al., 1991).

Calcium requirement for men and
women is lower than previously estimated.[30]

[1] Hunt, B.J., Belanger, L.F. Localized, multiform, sub-periosteal hyperplasia and generalized osteomyelosclerosis in magnesium-deficient rats. Calcif. Tiss. Res. 1972; 9:17-27.

[2]Aleksandrowicz, J., Blicharski, J., Dzigowska, A., Lisiewicz, J. Leuko- and oncogenesis in the light of studies on metabolism of magnesium and its turnover in biocenosis. Acta Med. Pol. 1970; 11:289-302. (abstr: Blood 1971; 37:245)

[3] D. Deheinzelin, E.M. Negri1, M.R. Tucci, M.Z. Salem1, V.M. da Cruz1, R.M. Oliveira, I.N. Nishimoto and C. Hoelz. Hypomagnesemia in critically ill cancer patients: a prospective study of predictive factors. Braz J Med Biol Res, December 2000, Volume 33(12) 1443-1448

[4] Bois, P. Tumour of the thymus in magnesium-deficient rat. Nature 1964; 204:1316.

[5] Magnesium is used in the creatine-phosphate formation, activates the alkaline phosphatase and pyrophosphatase, stabilizes nucleic acid synthesis, concerning DNA synthesis and degradation, as well as the physical integrity of the DNA helix, activates amino acid and protein synthesis, and regulates numerous hormones.

[6] Durlach J, Bara M, Guiet-Bara A, Collery P. Relationship between magnesium, cancer and carcinogenic or anticancer metals. Anticancer Res. 1986 Nov-Dec;6(6):1353-61.

[7]Anghileri, L.J. Magnesium concentration variations during carcinogenesis. Magnesium Bull. 1979; 1:46-48.

[8] Linus Pauling Institute http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/minerals/magnesium/index.html#function

[9] Virginia Minnich, M. B. Smith, M. J. Brauner, and Philip W. Majerus. Glutathione biosynthesis in human erythrocytes. Department of Internal Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, J Clin Invest. 1971 March; 50(3): 507–513. Abstract: The two enzymes required for de novo glutathione synthesis, glutamyl cysteine synthetase and glutathione synthetase, have been demonstrated in hemolysates of human erythrocytes. Glutamyl cysteine synthetase requires glutamic acid, cysteine, adenosine triphosphate (ATP), and magnesium ions to form ?-glutamyl cysteine. The activity of this enzyme in hemolysates from 25 normal subjects was 0.43±0.04 ?mole glutamyl cysteine formed per g hemoglobin per min. Glutathione synthetase requires ?-glutamyl cysteine, glycine, ATP, and magnesium ions to form glutathione. The activity of this enzyme in hemolysates from 25 normal subjects was 0.19±0.03 ?mole glutathione formed per g hemoglobin per min. Glutathione synthetase also catalyzes an exchange reaction between glycine and glutathione, but this reaction is not significant under the conditions used for assay of hemolysates. The capacity for erythrocytes to synthesize glutathione exceeds the rate of glutathione turnover by 150-fold, indicating that there is considerable reserve capacity for glutathione synthesis. A patient with erythrocyte glutathione synthetase deficiency has been described. The inability of patients’ extracts to synthesize glutathione is corrected by the addition of pure glutathione synthetase, indicating that there is no inhibitor in the patients’ erythrocytes.

[10] Braverman, E.R. (with Pfeiffer, C.C.)(1987). The healing nutrients within: Facts, findings and new research on amino acids. New Canaan: Keats Publishing

[11] http://www.dorway.org/blayautism.txt

[12] Anghileri, L.J. Magnesium concentration variations during carcinogenesis. Magnesium Bull. 1979; 1:46-48.

[13] Anghileri, L.J., Collery, P., Coudoux, P., Durlach, J. (Experimental relationships between magnesium and cancer.) Magnesium Bull. 1981; 3:1-5

[14] Anghileri, L.J., Heidbreder, M., Weiler, G., Dermietzel, R. Hepatocarcinogenesis by thioacetamide: correlations of histological and biochemical changes, and possible role of cell injury. Exp. Cell. Biol. 1977; 45:34-47.

[15] Blondell, J.W. The anticancer effect of magnesium. Medical Hypothesis 1980; 6:863-871.

[16] Whitney, R.B., Sutherland, R.M. The influence of calcium, magnesium and cyclic adenosine 3′5′-monophosphate on the mixed lymphocyte reaction. J. Immunol. 1972; 108:1179-1183.

[17] Petitou, M., Tuy, F., Rosenfeld, C., Mishal, Z., Paintrand, M., Jasmin, C., Mathe, G., Inbar, M. Decreased microviscosity of membrane lipids in leukemic cells; two possible mechanisms. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 1978; 75:2306-2310.

[18] Hass, G.M., McCreary, P.A., Laing, G.H., Galt, R.M. Lymphoproliferative and immumunologic aspects of magnesium deficiency. In Magnesium in Health and Disease (from 2nd Intl Mg Sympos, Montreal, Canada, 1976), b Eds. M. Cantin, M.S. Seelig, Publ. Spectrum Press, NY, 1980, pp 185-200

[19] Collery, P., Anghileri, L.J., Coudoux, P., Durlach, J. (Magnesium and cancer: Clinical data.) Magnesium Bull. 1981; 3:11-20.

[20] American Journal of Epidemiology (Vol. 163, pp. 232-235)

[21] Journal of the American Medical Association, Vol. 293, pp. 86-89

[22] Mg2+ is critical for all of the energetics of the cells because it is absolutely required that Mg2+ be bound (chelated) by ATP (adenosine triphosphate), the central high energy compound of the body. ATP without Mg2+ bound cannot create the energy normally used by specific enzymes of the body to make protein, DNA, RNA, transport sodium or potassium or calcium in and out of cells, nor to phosphorylate proteins in response to hormone signals, etc. In fact, ATP without enough Mg2+ is non-functional and leads to cell death. Bound Mg2+ holds the triphosphate in the correct stereochemical position so that it can interact with ATP using enzymes and the Mg2+ also polarizes the phosphate backbone so that the ‘backside of the phosphorous’ is more positive and susceptible to attack by nucleophilic agents such as hydroxide ion or other negatively charged compounds. Bottom line, Mg2+ at critical concentrations is essential to life,” says Dr. Boyd Haley who asserts strongly that, “All detoxification mechanisms have as the bases of the energy required to remove a toxicant the need for Mg-ATP to drive the process. There is nothing done in the body that does not use energy and without Mg2+ this energy can neither be made nor used.” Detoxification of carcinogenic chemical poisons is essential for people want to avoid the ravages of cancer. The importance of magnesium in cancer prevention should not be underestimated.

[23] Magnesium has a central regulatory role in the cell cycle including that of affecting transphorylation and DNA synthesis, has been proposed as the controller of cell growth, rather than calcium. It is postulated that Mg++ controls the timing of spindle and chromosome cycles by changes in intracellular concentration during the cell cycle. Magnesium levels fall as cells enlarge until they reach a level that allows for spindle formation. Mg influx then causes spindle breakdown and cell division.

[24] http://www.nutraingredients.com/Research/Magnesium-may-be-key-to-calcium-s-cancer-benefits-study

[25] Paunier, L., Radde, I.C.: Normal and abnormal magnesium metabolism. Bull. of Hosp. for Sick Childr. (Toronto) 1965; 14:16-23.

[26] MAY 19, 1931, Dr. P. Schrumpf-Pierron presented a paper entitled “On the Cause Of the Rarity of Cancer in Egypt,” which was printed in the Bulletin of the Academy of Medicine, and the Bulletin of the French Association for the Study of Cancer in July, 1931. http://www.mgwater.com/rod02.shtml

[27] Yang CY et al. Jpn J Cancer Res.1998 Feb;89 (2):124-30. Calcium, magnesium, and nitrate in drinking water and gastric cancer mortality.

[28] New York State Department of Health; http://www.health.state.ny.us/diseases/conditions/osteoporosis/qanda.htm

[29] Accu-Cell Nutrition; Calcium and Magnesium http://www.acu-cell.com/acn.html

[30] Am J Clin Nutr. 2007 Oct;86(4):1054-1063. Calcium requirements: new estimations for men and women by cross-sectional statistical analyses of calcium balance data from metabolic studies.Hunt CD, Johnson LK. US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, Grand Forks, ND.

I've started using Magnesium oil on my arms and elbows to help with cubital tunnel symptoms. The first time used it during a flair up, the electrical sensations in my elbows stopped instantly. I've been using it every morning and evening with amazing results.

I ran across this article while searching for neuropathy and Magnesium.

Magnesium and Diabetic Neuropathy
Mark Sircus Ac. OMD

Introduction

Diabetes is commonly thought to have no cure. It is progressive and often fatal, and while the patient lives, the mass of medical complications it sets off can attack every major organ. Though public health officials acknowledge that their ability to slow the disease is limited, and though doctors fear a huge wave of new cases will overwhelm public health systems, “Public health authorities around the country have all but ignored chronic illnesses like diabetes, focusing instead on communicable diseases, which kill far fewer people,” according to the New York Times. Hospitals around New York City are full of diabetic patients and on any given day, nearly half the patients are there for some trouble precipitated by the disease.

Type two diabetes is being declared an epidemic in New York City.

With one in three children born in the United States expected to become diabetic in their lifetimes, a close look at its surge in New York City offers a disturbing glimpse of where the city, and the rest of the world is headed. Diabetes has swept through families, entire neighborhoods in the Bronx and broad slices of Brooklyn. While the ranks of American diabetics have exploded by an extremely painful 80 percent in the last decade, New York has seen a devastating explosion of 140 percent. New York is not the only place where the disease is exploding. "Half of Texas children born after the year 2000 will develop diabetes," said Department of State Health Services Commissioner Dr. Eduardo Sanchez.[ii]

Type 2 Diabetes is sweeping so rapidly through America we need not waste time giving children bicycles. Just roll them a wheelchair.
Boston Globe[iii]

This medical review of diabetic neuropathy introduces a much needed medical intervention for the prevention and treatment of diabetes and the many complications that come from it. Though safe effective treatments are desperately needed there is something strange in the medical establishments approach to diabetic care. The New York Times says in this regard, “In the Treatment of Diabetes, Success Often Does Not Pay.” “It's almost as though the system encourages people to get sick and then people get paid to treat them," said Dr. Matthew E. Fink, a former president of Beth Israel Medical Center in Manhattan. The Times bemoans “a medical system so focused on acute illnesses that it is struggling to respond to diabetes, a chronic disease that looms as the largest health crisis facing the city.”[iv] Something is wrong with the way allopathic medicine is dealing with diabetes and that starts with its refusal to look honestly at what is causing the disease.

Diabetes gives us a clear picture of how the human race is being caught between a rock and a hard place, a kind of devils anvil of our own corporate making. The human body is failing to deal with massive chemical exposure in the face of hugely increasing deficiencies in basic nutrients like magnesium. Malnutrition is now in full bloom in the first world even among the obese.

Magnesium and Diabetic Neuropathy
Magnesium is necessary for the production, function & transport of insulin.

Magnesium is known to be necessary for nerve conduction; deficiency is known to cause peripheral neuropathy symptoms and studies suggest that a deficiency in magnesium may worsen blood glucose control in type 2 diabetes. Scientists believe that a deficiency of magnesium interrupts insulin secretion in the pancreas and increases insulin resistance in the body's tissues.

Magnesium deficiency played a role in the constriction of arteries and enhanced injury to the cellular tissues lining the blood vessels. Peripheral artery disease, or peripheral vascular disease, refers to diseases of the arteries and veins of the extremities, especially atherosclerosis with narrowing of the arteries. This opens the door to the development and progression of atherosclerosis and sets the stage for the development of neurological events such as strokes. These same conditions set the stage for the development of peripheral diabetic neuropathy.This entire scenario described here also sets the stage for the development of peripheral neuropathy even when diabetes is not present.

A recent analysis showed that people with higher dietary intakes of magnesium (through consumption of whole grains, nuts, and green leafy vegetables) had a decreased risk of type 2 diabetes.[ii] Magnesium has potentially beneficial effects at several key steps of glucose and insulin metabolism. In animal studies, dietary magnesium supplementation can prevent fructose-induced insulin resistance and elevations of blood pressure in rats. [iii]

The convergence of large drops in cellular magnesium, which offers protective coverage against chemical toxicity, with increasing poisoning of people’s blood streams with heavy metals like arsenic, mercury and lead, as well as a literal host of other chemical toxins in the environment, are teaming up to disrupt normal cell phsyiological. Eating junk food fits into an alarming picture for modern diets of highly processed foods translates into magnesium deficiencies, and processed food are also high in chemical preservatives, pesticides, and food additives that are harmful to health and put further strains on magneisum reserves in the body.

Magnesium deficiency is associated with insulin resistance and increased platelet reactivity.

An abstract from Disorders of Magnesium Metabolism[iv] concludes, “Magnesium depletion is more common than previously thought. It seems to be especially prevalent in patients with diabetes mellitus. It is usually caused by losses from the kidney or gastrointestinal tract. A patient with magnesium depletion may present with neuromuscular symptoms, hypokalemia, hypocalcemia, or cardiovascular complication. Physicians should maintain a high index of suspicion for magnesium depletion in patients at high risk and should implement therapy early.”

A separate Gallup survey (in 1995) of 500 adults with diabetes reported that 83 percent of those with diabetes are consuming insufficient magnesium from food, with many by significant margins.[v]

Diabetic neuropathy and other complications of diabetes are made worse as a result of concurrent magnesium deficiency. Magnesium is known to be deficient in over 68% of the US population, and more so in diabetics who waste magnesium more than others when blood sugars are out of control. Up to 80% of type 2 diabetics have a magnesium deficiency.[vi] Children labeled "pre diabetic" (now 41 million) are in great need of magnesium, which has been linked to preventing the development of type 2 diabetes.[vii] In a series of papers, Dr. L. M. Resnick has shown in the test tube that an increase in glucose in the fluid leads to the release and/or displacement of Magnesium from the red blood cells, thus in the body hyperglycemia, high blood sugar, will cause a total body Magnesium deficiency.[viii]

A more recent study shows us that “Serum magnesium depletion is present and shows a strong relationship with foot ulcers in subjects with type 2 diabetes and foot ulcers, a relationship not previously reported.” Hypomagnesemia is associated with the development of neuropathy and abnormal platelet activity, both of which are risk factors for the progression of ulcers of the feet.[ix]

Lower serum magnesium levels are associated with more rapid decline of renal function.

Thus we can expect to find that magnesium can be used to prevent and treat both diabetes and the complications that come from it including severe peripheral neuropathy. Dr. S. E. Browne makes a strong case for intravenous magnesium treatment of arterial disease and has used magnesium sulphate in his general practice for over three decades. “Magnesium sulphate (MgSO4) in a 50% solution was injected initially intramuscularly and later intravenously into patients with peripheral vascular disease (including gangrene, claudication, leg ulcers and thrombophlebitis), angina, acute myocardial infarction (AMI), non-haemorrhagic cerebral vascular disease and congestive cardiac failure. A powerful vasodilator effect with marked flushing was noted after intravenous (IV) injection of 4-12 mmol of magnesium (Mg) and excellent therapeutic results were noted in all forms of arterial disease.”

Dr. Herbert Mansmann Jr., Director of the Magenesium Research Lab,[xi] who is a diabetic with congenital magnesium deficiency and severe peripheral neuropathy, shares that he was able to reverse the neuropathy and nerve degeneration with a year of using oral magnesium preparations at very high doses. “For example it took me 6 tabs of each of the following every 4 hours, Maginex, MgOxide, Mag-Tab SR and Magonate to get in positive Mg balance. I tell people this not to scare them, but to illustrate how much I needed to saturate myself. Most will only need 10% of this amount. I was doing an experiment on myself to see if it helped my diabetic neuropathy. It worked so I did it for one year, and I have had significant nerve regeneration. I could never have been able to do this with MgSO4 baths (Epsom Salt), since I could not get into and out of a bath tub” [xii]

“I was saturated at about 3 grams of elemental Mg per day, but went to 20 grams for over a year. I now take 5 grams, and stools are semi-formed, and the surrounding water is clear, 3-4 per day.” “Mg is very safe, since the gut absorption is regulated by serum Mg levels, and then the Mg stays in the gut and results in varying degrees of diarrhea. Then the dose is too high. Want soft semi-formed stools. Mine, while on high dosages of magnesium were liquid every 2-4 hours for 2 years, the electrolytes every month were normal, but for low potassium, part of my urinary Mg wasting, both,” wrote Mansmann.

Dr. Mansmann concludes, “I have had diabetic neuropathy for over 10 years. The most significant symptom is my neuropathic pain of burning feet, called erythromelalgia. With the aid of Mg I can completely suppress the symptom, but if my blood glucose level is acutely elevated, because of a dietary indiscretion, the pain flares in spite of an apparent adequate dose of Mg. It goes away with extra Mg gluconate (Magonate) in an hour or so in either case. Without the Mg it will last for six plus hours, even though the blood glucose level is normal in about two hours.” “It is my belief that every one with diabetes should be taking Mg supplementation to the point of one’s Maximum Tolerated Dose, which is until one has soft-semi, formed stools. In addition, anyone with neuropathy, without a known cause, must be adequately evaluated for diabetes and especially those with poorly, slowly, healing foot sores of any kind. Since the use of Mg is safe I see no reason that this should not be “the standard of care”.[xiii]

Conclusion
Prolonged use of Magnesium will prevent chronic complications from diabetes.[xiv]

“The current “party line” on this subject is not universally accepted, but many of us believe the establishment is too conservative and will some day change. While admitting its importance, for some unknown reason they remain reluctant to recommend magnesium supplements. They just do not know how poor the American diet is in Mg and the frequency of magnesium deficiency” says Dr. Mansmann.[xv]

Poorly controlled diabetes increases loss of magnesium in urine.

It would be prudent for physicians who treat diabetic patients to consider magnesium deficiency as a contributing factor in many diabetic complications and as a main factor in exacerbation of the disease itself. Recent research from many sources suggests that magnesium for the treatment of diabetes should be paramount in physicians’ minds. The most recent example, after only 8 weeks of oral magnesium, thermal hyperalgesia was normalized and plasma magnesium and glucose levels were restored towards normal in rats.[xvi]

Repletion of the deficiency with transdermal magnesium chloride mineral therapy[xvii] is the ideal way of administering magnesium in medically therapeutic doses. Such treatments will, in all likelihood, help avoid or ameliorate such complications as diabetic peripheral neuropathy, arrhythmias, hypertension, and sudden cardiac death and will even improve the course of the diabetic condition in general.[xviii]

Once doctors, primary healthcare providers and the public are made aware of the role of magnesium in diabetes there will be no excuse to not increase public magnesium consumption, which can even be added to water supplies[xix] instead of poisonous fluoride[xx] and dangerous statins[xxi],[xxii],[xxiii] which are also known to cause peripheral neuropathy with long term use. During a stroke or heart attack it would be cruel, medically incompetent and life threatening to not use magnesium chloride or magnesium sulfate immediately. The same kind of treatment that saves lives in dramatic life threatening situations is urgently needed in the treatment of diabetes and diabetic neuropathy.

Incredible as it seems, researchers at Washington University School of Medicine in Missouri are currently evaluating BOTOX® injections to help treat foot ulcers.[xxiv] Botox injections are a diluted form of botulism that will paralyze the specified muscle area. Botulinum toxin is made by the bacteria Clostridium botulinum. The bacteria themselves (and their spores) are harmless, but the toxin is considered one of the most lethal known poisons, one that has been a principle agent in biological warfare.[xxv] It binds to nerve endings where they join muscles, leading to weakness or paralysis. Recovery from botulism occurs when the nerves grow new endings, which can take months, according to the FDA.[xxvi] Choosing highly toxic options has no medical merit when there are infinitely safer treatments like magnesium chloride that is so safe that it helps prevent the development of foot ulcers and diabetic neuropathy in the first place.

And if Botox injections are not absurd enough “Maggot Therapy” is on the rise again. Maggot therapy was the standard treatment for healing wounds in the 1930s. Maggots are placed in the wounds and used to digest the necrotic tissues that prevent healing. Medicinal maggots produce enzymes that dissolve dead tissue on a wound, disinfect the wound, and stimulate the production of granulation tissue.[xxvib] Maggot therapy is promoted at the point of no return, when all else has failed to heal wounds and infections, before amputation is done. Medically things would rarely progress to this point if magnesium chloride is used in prevention and treatment of such problems. Magnesium chloride has the added advantage over other magnesium forms in that it is antiseptic as well as cytophilactic.

Rapid increase of magnesium stores are necessary in some cases and may be lifesaving for diabetics as they are for other patients in emergency rooms.

Preventative effects of magnesium may go a long way to protecting the children of the future from early onset of both diabetes and the complications that come from it. The safety profile of magnesium chloride is extraordinary compared to today’s pharmaceutical drugs. It is only with severe renal insufficiency that problems have been observed with magnesium treatments. The elderly are at risk of magnesium toxicity only because of possible decreased renal function so caution is necessary.

Special Note: While Dr. Mansmann makes a strong case for high doses of magnesium, it cannot be ignored that GLA has also been recognized for it's ability to stop and/or reverse peripheral neuropathy and is endorsed by Dr. Atkins, of the famous Atkins diet, which many diabetics follow. Dr. Atkins says, “Science has established rather conclusively that GLA halts the otherwise inevitable advance of nerve damage caused by diabetes. GLA helps the nerves to heal. As one study of 111 patients showed, people with either form of diabetes, Type I or Type II, can benefit, using a dose as small as 480 mg of GLA per day.[xxvii] Other research suggests that the fatty acid may even prevent the nerve deterioration from starting up.[xxviii] Some kind of abnormality in fatty acid metabolism is very likely involved in the development of diabetic complications and maybe even the development of diabetes itself. People who have the disease seem unable to make GLA from dietary fats and therefore may suffer from an insufficiency of PGE1, (Prostaglandin E1, a beneficial hormone-like compound). Coincidentally enough, this substance can potentiate the work of insulin and exerts insulin like actions of its own. Therefore diabetics need all the PGE1 that GLA can help them make.” Spirulina is very high in both magnesium and GLA.

International Medical Veritas Association 2006. All rights reserved.
More works by Dr. Mark Sircus Ac. OMD at http://imva.info

References

New York Times. January 9, 2006

[ii]

[iii] Derrick Z. Jackson, Diabetes and the trash food industry. Boston Globe. January 11, 2006

[iv] NY Times. January 11, 2006. Link

Amighi J, Sabeti S, Schlager O, Mlekusch W, Exner M, Lalouschek W, Ahmadi R, Minar E, Schillinger M. Low serum magnesium predicts neurological events in patients with advanced atherosclerosis. Stroke. 2004 Jan; 35(1): 22-7. Epub 2003 Dec 04. Researchers conducted the study to see if magnesium levels were associated with stroke risk in patients with peripheral artery disease. The study authors followed 323 patients with symptomatic peripheral artery disease and intermittent claudication (www. age was 68 years) for 12 to 25 months. Thirty-five of the subjects (11%) developed neurologic events such as strokes. Subjects who had the lowest magnesium serum levels had triple the risk for stroke and other harmful neurologic events compared to the patients with the highest serum magnesium levels.

[ii] http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/alternativetherapies/

[iii] Total serum magnesium was reduced in the high-fructose group compared with control or high-fructose plus magnesium-supplemented groups. Blood pressure and fasting insulin levels were also lower in the magnesium-supplemented group. These results suggest that magnesium deficiency and not fructose ingestion per se leads to insulin insensitivity in skeletal muscle and changes in blood pressure. Dietary magnesium prevents fructose-induced insulin insensitivity in rats.Batan et.al; Hypertension. 1994 Jun;23(6 Pt 2):1036-9. Link

[iv] Endocrinology & Metabolism Clinics of North America. 24(3):623-41, 1995 Sep.

[v] v57, Better Nutrition for Today's Living, March '95, p34.
http://www.mgwater.com/articles.shtml

[vi] Carper, J. Mighty Magnesium. USA Weekend. 2002 Aug 30-Sept 1.

[vii]Magnesium Deficiency Linked to Type 2 Diabetes http://www.newstarget.com/006121.html

Studies conducted at Harvard University indicate that people who have high levels of magnesium in their blood are less likely to develop type 2 diabetes or insulin resistance than those with lower levels. Studies in Mexico have also found an alleviation of diabetes symptoms in patients who took dietary supplements containing magnesium. Original Source

[viii] Diabetologia” 36(8):767-70, 1993

[ix] Low serum magnesium levels and foot ulcers in subjects with type 2 diabetes. Rodriguez-Moran M, Guerrero-Romero F. Arch Med Res. 2001 Jul-Aug;32(4):300-3. Link

[x] S. E. BROWNE. The Case for Intravenous Magnesium Treatment of Arterial Disease in General Practice. Journal of Nutritional Medicine (1994) 4, 169-177

[xi] Herbert C. Mansmann Jr. MD. Honorary Professor of Pediatrics. P.O. Box 791, Rangeley, ME 04970 Associate Professor of Medicine (1968-03) Director of the Magnesium Research. Laboratory (1989-03) Thomas Jefferson University http://www.magnesiumresearchlab.com

[xii] http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/MagnesiumResearchLab/message/2863

[xiii] http://magnesiumresearchlab.com/Diabetes-and-Mg-5-11-04.htm

[xiv] The effect of magnesium supplementation in increasing doses on the control of type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 1998 May;21(5):682-6. Link

[xv] http://magnesiumresearchlab.com/Diabetes-and-Mg-5-11-04.htm

[xvi] Hasanein P. et al. Oral magnesium administration prevents thermal hyperalgesia induced by diabetes in rats. Department of Biology, Bu-Ali Sina University, Hamadan, Iran. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2006 Jan 14

[xvii] See http://www.MagnesiumForLife.com for full information on transdermal magnesium chloride mineral therapy. And go to http://www.globallight.net to see the recommended natural seawater product with the highest concentration and lowest toxicity that the International Medical Veritas Association endorses.

[xviii] Long term magnesium supplementation influences favourably the natural evolution of neuropathy in Mg-depleted type 1 diabetic patients (T1dm); De Leeuw et al; Magnes Res. 2004 Jun; 17(2):109-14 Link

[xix] http://mgwater.com/

[xx] Because fluoride is excreted through the kidney, people with renal insufficiency would have impaired renal clearance of fluoride (Juncos and Donadio 1972). Elderly people are more susceptible to fluoride toxicity.

[xxi] Statins and peripheral neuropathy; U. Jeppesen , D. Gaist , T. Smith S. H. Sindrup European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology Volume 54, Number 11;835 - 838 January 1999

[xxii] The Peripheral Neuropathy Caused by Statins Petition to Pharmaceutical Researchers and Manufacturers of America and companies listed was created by DrugIntel Statin Users with Neuropathy and written by John Lehmann. “We users of statin drugs have experienced some of the symptoms listed below [1] that characterize peripheral neuropathy (damage to nerves outside the brain). Medical research published in peer-reviewed journals has shown that statins are able to cause peripheral neuropathy or a syndrome that is very similar to it. We petition the pharmaceutical manufacturers of statins [2] to:
1. Notify patients (past, current, and prospective users of statins) and healthcare professionals (physicians, pharmacists, nurses, physicians' assistants) of the risk associated with statin use and what to do once the first signs and symptoms of neuropathy have appeared.
2. Sponsor and perform research on how statins cause neuropathy.
3. Sponsor and perform clinical research on how to cure and reverse the neuropathy caused by statins.
4. Perform clinical research and recommend the best drug treatments to mitigate the pain and make other symptoms of statin-induced neuropathy more tolerable.
5.Proactively offer reparation to statin users who have suffered neuropathy. The petition will be presented to the Pharmaceutical Researchers and Manufactuers Association and to the Medical Affairs Departments of the companies listed, as well as any additional companies that may be identified as relevant over time http://www.petitiononline.com/Statins/petition.html

[xxiii] Statins and risk of polyneuropathy
D Gaist, MD PhD, U Jeppesen, M Andersen, LAG Neurology 2002;58:1333-1337 © 2002 American Academy of Neurology - Statins and risk of polyneuropathy.

[xxiv] Participants receive injections of the toxin in six places in the calf muscle and then the leg is put into a cast. The idea is that this will help prevent pressure on the ball of the foot during walking. The ball if the foot is the area most affected by foot ulcers and allowing an ulcer to heal completely helps prevent recurrence. Link

[xxv] Botulinum toxin has been a concern as a potential biological warfare agent since World War II. In response to concerns about Germany's botulinum toxin research, the United States and Great Britain developed countermeasures against the toxin before the invasion of Europe. More recently, Iraq has been accused of producing large amounts of botulinum toxin for use as a biological warfare agent. The extreme toxicity of botulinum toxins and the ease of production, transport, and delivery make this an agent of extreme bioterrorism concern.

[xxvi] Overview of Botulism: Link

Maggot Therapy Speeds Healing of Diabetic Foot Ulcers. Link and

[xxvii] Keen, H., et al., Diabetes Care, 1993; 16: 8-15.

[xxviii] Jamal, G., Diabetic Medicine, 1994; 11(2): 145-49.

http://www.life-enthusiast.com/index/Articles/Sircus/Magnesium_and_Diabetic_Neuropathy

In the recent days I've been searching for completely additive free supplements. Having spent several hours combing through magnesium products I finally found 100% magnesium citrate powder on iherb.com, which doesn't have anything else in it. Having placed my order already, I later found a product with vitamin-C, Calcium citrate and Magnesium citrate, all in one powder on needs.com. Sounds like a good buy, I think I'll try that one next. Has someone tried any of these - are there any downsides in using powder except for the 'messiness'?

Aragorn said:
In the recent days I've been searching for completely additive free supplements. Having spent several hours combing through magnesium products I finally found 100% magnesium citrate powder on iherb.com, which doesn't have anything else in it. Having placed my order already, I later found a product with vitamin-C, Calcium citrate and Magnesium citrate, all in one powder on needs.com. Sounds like a good buy, I think I'll try that one next. Has someone tried any of these - are there any downsides in using powder except for the 'messiness'?

I've been using organic magnesium citrate for 3-4 months now. The only downside I've noticed is occasional excessive acidity. I drink a lot of water and eat something to cut the acidity, seems to work.

Thought I'd share this recent mail I got from Dr. Carolyn Dean:

Dr. Carolyn Dean said:
On July 12, 2010, I had a great interview on Death by Modern
Medicine and The Magnesium Miracle (_http://drcarolyndean.com/natural-health-books-by-dr-dean/)
with Deb Bailey that you can listen to at Power Women Magazine.
(_http://www.blogtalkradio.com/powerwomenmag/2010/07/12/dr-carolyn-dean)

There were a lot of case histories and personal health stories
discussed during the hour. After discussing magnesium deficiency as
it relates to gall stones, heel spurs and kidney stones, Deb told
me about her son. At age 16 he suffered kidney stones to the point
of requiring kidney surgery! She asked if I thought that indicated
a magnesium deficiency. The hair on the back of my neck stood
up...and I told her, absolutely.

Most kidney stones have calcium as the base. They often form
because there isn't enough magnesium to keep calcium in solution.
Calcium and magnesium go hand-in-hand. Without enough magnesium,
calcium deposits in soft tissues throughout the body. Furthermore,
magnesium relaxes muscles and nerves and calcium tightens them up.

After a stressful surgery, Deb's son experienced even more
magnesium deficiency symptoms. But nobody recognized them for what
they were. Painful muscle cramping sidelined him from further
participation in sports in high school. Today at age 18, he comes
home from his summer job at a local fast food restaurant
complaining of constant pain and stiffness.

My advice to him and to anyone else who has suffered kidney stones
and muscle cramps is to give magnesium a try. It's inexpensive, it
has no side effects and it does much more than prevent kidney
stones and muscle cramps.

You can find my magnesium recommendations on my resources page at
_http://drcarolyndean.com/resources.html Briefly they are:

1. Magnesium Citrate Powder from Natural Calm. The powdered form
allows better absorption. The best places to purchase are health
food stores or _www.vitacost.com
(bad service and expensive) note: try myprotein.co.uk or iherb.com instead

2. Magnesium dimalate is the preferred form if you just want to pop
a tablet. _www.jigsawhealth.com offers a sustained release form,
which can improve absorption if you get the laxative effect from
magnesium citrate powder.

3. Magnesium Oil is a non-laxative form of magnesium. It's
supersaturated magnesium chloride in distilled water. You can apply
¼ to ½ tsp a day on your body. It will absorb through the skin into
your tissues. A good source is _http://www.magneticclay.com/123.html

3. Angstrom Liquid Ionic Magnesium: This is the form I personally
use to avoid the laxative effect entirely. This non-laxative
magnesium is absorbed 100% at the cellular level. My current
angstrom mineral recommendation is this site -
_http://www.healthshop101.com/magnesium.html

Carolyn Dean MD ND
The Doctor of the Future

Hi everyone. I found a good source of magnesium. maybe some of you know of it. They are Prickly Pears.

each small fruit which is maybe between 40-60 calories, contains according to nutritiondata.com about 100 milligrams of magnesium.

At a supermarket near where I live I bought 4 of them for a dollar. they are relatively cheap I think. It is native to southwest united states and central america. due to recent studies though they are showing up all over the united states and being hyped as a new "superfood" for various reasons I believe.

I looked at a few other nutrition websites which quote similar figures of magnesium content to nutritiondata.com. I could not find any freely available scientific studies which corroborated this. There is however quite a few available nutrition studies on other aspects of the prickly pear.

I have not read through this thread in some time so I'm not sure what would be a good amount of magnesium to consume. The "daily value" according to the government is 400 mg. but who knows if this is how much someone's body actually needs. depending on how much magnesium someone is looking to consume, only eating prickly pears for all the required magnesium might not be a good idea. each one does have six grams of simple sugar (according to nutritiondata.com)

anyways, feel free to look up prickly pears. the ones i had taste pretty alright :). since it was my first time having them i have to get use to it I think. ...Also make sure to burn or rub off the thorns if you buy them and the thorns aren't pre-removed. you can read more about this.

Also i just did a little more searching--Prickly pears have the highest concentration of magnesium per gram out of all other fruits except maybe besides "tamarinds"

I think I will be eating these frequently from now on.

wetroof said:
each small fruit which is maybe between 40-60 calories, contains according to nutritiondata.com about 100 grams of magnesium.

wetroof, I assume you meant milligrams (mg)? :)

yes I did mean that. thank a lot. I corrected my mistake.

also, after I posted I got worried that maybe all the magnesium is in the seeds which are not digested. that finally lead me to find this study below!

it gives magnesium content in skin/pulp/seeds. also some other information and method is described.

http://www.academicjournals.org/AJB/PDF/pdf2009/20Apr/Salim%20et%20al.pdf

i put the study in the html link format (or whatever) because it is a pdf document, and it might not open in your browser. to download the study right click and then click "download linked file as...". I believe that is how it works. Or "download linked file" if you do not want to rename it.

here is a important quote from the study...
For mineral analysis, our results showed that the pulp
and the skin of prickly pear are rich in potassium,
magnesium and calcium; however they contained less
amount of sodium. The mineral pattern depends on the
fruit origin and factors of the site of cultivation. Similar
results have been reported in the literatures (Stintzing et
al., 2001). In conclusion, prickly pear fruit is an interesting
summer fruit, and its use in arid and semi arid regions
should be encouraged.

Attachments

• table.gif
    table.gif
    12.9 KB · Views: 54
Carolyn Dean said:

Just a heads up regarding a less expensive option. I used to buy magnesium citrate from Natural Calm but I now use this pouch from MyProtein (which is UK-based and thus less postage for Europeans).

Kniall said:
Carolyn Dean said:

Just a heads up regarding a less expensive option. I used to buy magnesium citrate from Natural Calm but I now use this pouch from MyProtein (which is UK-based and thus less postage for Europeans).

Kniall,

Thanks for the info. I'm just about to start on the Magnesium treatment myself and it is great to be able to save some money where possible.

I was wondering if you, or any of the other EU-residents (well, I don't know for a fact that you're an EU-resident but that seems most likely) have come across a good Magnesium Oil that you can recommend?

Thor said:
I was wondering if you, or any of the other EU-residents (well, I don't know for a fact that you're an EU-resident but that seems most likely) have come across a good Magnesium Oil that you can recommend?

I haven't, but that's because I am still using some expensive stuff that I purchased in a regular store. Belibaste suggested something here that I'm thinking of trying out.

Kniall said:
Carolyn Dean said:

I wish that this info had been available sooner. After searching the pharmacies in my area (France), to no avail except by expensive order, I ordered, early this month, through vitacost. Mg citrate, plus several other supplements. They still had not arrived at my daughters by the 15th when I received an email from vitacost telling me that the mg citrate was back ordered and would not be delivered to my US address until the 31st. They held up the entire order and I have been without NAC for many days now. Bummer.

myprotein.co.uk will definitely get my business on the next order. Thanks, Kniall.

Rabelais said:
I wish that this info had been available sooner. After searching the pharmacies in my area (France), to no avail except by expensive order, I ordered, early this month, through vitacost. Mg citrate, plus several other supplements. They still had not arrived at my daughters by the 15th when I received an email from vitacost telling me that the mg citrate was back ordered and would not be delivered to my US address until the 31st. They held up the entire order and I have been without NAC for many days now. Bummer.

I had the same problem with vitacost :thdown:

Anything I can't get through MyProtein, I get from iHerb.

Back
Top Bottom