Tom Cox AKA "Montalk"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Cassiopaea and Montalk

This thread should be required reading for anyone who found their way here through anything associated with Montalk...someone like me, for example. Looking back, I should have visited this thread when I first found the C's and this forum.

However, "should haves" have passed me by. The fact that I'm here now is what's important. This thread has been immensely helpful.

The following is a message that I sent to Laura very recently. She feels it is appropriate to share with everyone...and in particular, with anyone who has found their way to the C's, and to this forum, through any kind of association with "montalk." I agree with her.

Dear Laura,

I can't begin to thank you, Ark, and everyone else who has been involved in your work enough for persevering through what I have seen to be one vicious firestorm after another over the years. When I first arrived at your forum and to the wealth of your literature online, I had no idea of the trials and tribulations you have had to face. It took considerable time reading over numerous threads (especially the cointelpro boards...those are very illuminating) to begin to grasp the immensity of it all.

I reference "montalk" in the subject line of this message because it was through his material that I was "introduced" to the C's and by extension, the Cassiopaea forum, S.O.T.T., and your series of books. At the time I was completely unaware of Tom's relationship with you all. While I have never met the man in person, I have had limited discourse with him via the internet. It wasn't until I came across the "Cassiopaea and Montalk" thread that the pieces finally fell in place; it dawned on me that I approached the work here with a ticking timebomb strapped to my back.

I refer to cautionary statements from Tom that "prior to 2002, Laura and the C's were genuine and focused on 'light'; after this point, it seemed to devolve into a negative, abrasive cult dominated by Laura." He stated he couldn't in good conscience remain connected to the work when the cult began to emerge. He encouraged me to "find the good things there and take them for your own, but leave the rest out. I'd be taking my chances with a cult otherwise."

I admit that I was vulnerable - and an ideal target - for warnings regarding cults, since I was involved with one for a number of years. I found my way out eventually...and was a walking, talking, open wound for nearly a decade afterward. Tom's words, therefore, had maximum effect on me. I believed them for the most part, because I felt that I couldn't trust my own judgment in this regard. Tom was aware of this as I had shared that particular part of my life with him.

I came to the forum and began reading like all newbies are encouraged to do...and during this time, I exchanged messages with Tom. This was when he cautioned me to look for certain "signs" of the cult that had emerged after 2002. I am ashamed to admit that I stepped back at this point, and would occasionally drop in on the forum and read from time to time. His cautions had an effect on me.

Something struck me over time, however. Two things: networking, and applying oneself to the truth. I suppose in a way both are really one in the same, because after a period of stepping away and reading the many threads on the forum (as well as your books posted online), I realized there was no way on earth I could ever hope to find my way out of this mess alone. By myself, I am easy prey to subtle programs such as the one Tom "montalk" Cox apparently uses when he "recommends" people to look at the C's and the Cassiopaea forum. He didn't merely direct me here, Laura. He injected me with a timed-release poison for the trip.

During the time I spent being quiet and reading, I came to discover that what I find here is a network of people checking and balancing one another. Both yourself and Ark exhort people to take the time to research and understand carefully...and I cannot help but wonder, "what the heck is wrong with that?" Hardly the behavior of the leaders of a "dangerous cult" who browbeat people into believing that what Laura says is the infallible truth (I'm paraphrasing Tom there).

I thought about posting this on the forum, Laura, but I'm not sure if it would serve any useful purpose. Letting go and moving on seems more important than continuing to flog on a dead horse...but on the other hand, some awareness of montalk's disinfo efforts should be maintained as they were certainly to my detriment when I arrived here.

Thanks for all that you do

Bewildered said:
The following is a message that I sent to Laura very recently. She feels it is appropriate to share with everyone...and in particular, with anyone who has found their way to the C's, and to this forum, through any kind of association with "montalk." I agree with her.

Thank you Bewildered for sharing your message with us. :flowers:

Gandalf said:
Bewildered said:

I'd like to second that. Bewildered, this is a valuable lesson that may be of great help to other seekers who are also navigating their way through all the disinformation. Thank you!

Bewildered said:

Thank you for sharing Bewildered.
If only people who had doubts would take their time to read and participate more, maybe they would come to the same realization.

Yes, I was so un-trusting of all things that it was hard for me to start reading this material.

Once I started, common sense took over. It seems the topics here are the things that I am most desperate to learn about. The information that comes with each topic is timely, worth studying and very valuable.

A great big thanks to all who contribute.

Bewildered said:

Thank you for sharing this Bewildered. I think I've stated it before (possibly in this thread perhaps?) that I became aware of Laura and the C's through montalk's website too. I recall the accusations of Laura and her group forming a "cult", and I must admit that it made me cautious for a while. It is amazing how suggestive that word, "cult" is, isn't it? It really implies a sense of danger where a sense of danger is entirely unfounded.

Looking back, I look at the situation from the standpoint of the "fruits". The more I read of Laura's work and the posts on this forum, the more I realized there was a certain level of sophistication and knowledge here that Tom (and at the time, his forum group) did not possess. They suffered from an immense lack of discernment in a number of areas and even allowed rampant pathology to dominate their forum at times. Eventually he shut his forum down, which was probably the best thing he could have done; that forum had done enough damage already, IMO.

Glad to see you were able to see through the manipulation! :)

Bewildered said:
Dear Laura,

I can't begin to thank you, Ark, and everyone else who has been involved in your work enough for persevering through what I have seen to be one vicious firestorm after another over the years. When I first arrived at your forum and to the wealth of your literature online, I had no idea of the trials and tribulations you have had to face. It took considerable time reading over numerous threads (especially the cointelpro boards...those are very illuminating) to begin to grasp the immensity of it all.

Thanks for sharing this, Bewildered. :)

Thanks bewildered for sharing this.
It was very astute of Laura, as well, to recognize this as a familiar experience which forum members have gone through, and prompt the sharing of your thoughts; they reminded me of a time when I was oscillating between being drawn to this site and then repelled away because of the disruption of my beliefs. I recall spending hours combing through the dictionary looking for the real meaning (etiology) of words in the reading, questioning my brain's definitions of them, to gain a better perspective on the evolution of word usage. I'd go through bouts of depression, which I now understand in a different light after reading about it here: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=2832.0 and the networking that flowed following that post.

Bewildered said:
Something struck me over time, however. Two things: networking, and applying oneself to the truth. I suppose in a way both are really one in the same, because after a period of stepping away and reading the many threads on the forum (as well as your books posted online), I realized there was no way on earth I could ever hope to find my way out of this mess alone.

Learning to discern the truth, and understanding to know is what's cultivated here; interesting how cult is the root of that word, and the Latin etiology of the word cult is cultus, care, cultivation (also: to till, see WHEEL[?]) Like many descriptive words, the meaning of cult has taken on sinister (that's another word that's gotten twisted) connotation, but in it's earliest uncorrupted sense cultivate means to till under the weeds(lies?) and prepare for planting seeds (of truth?)...

Something else came to mind regarding what Laura mentioned in a recent interview with Kevin Barrett http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=19950.0 on Truth Jihad Radio http://www.americanfreedomradio.com/archive/Truth-Jihad-32k-100210.mp3 that "we are a conspiracy"; now, you see, that's another word that has picked up bad vibes and makes a lot of people literally shut down their thinking processes (truth meters) when they here the word. In actuality, conspire, according to Webster, defines the etiology: [conspiren<OFr conspirer<L conspirare, to breathe together, agree, unite < com-, together + spirare, to breathe: see SPIRIT] ...that's so beautiful, how did it become so "dirty"?

So, I guess if others want to label the network here as a Conspiracy Cult, then I suppose in the truest sense of the term, we are: uniting(networking), breathing together (Eiriu Eolas) to weed out the lies and plant seeds of the truth.
What a great place to grow!

Gandalf said:
Bewildered said:

Yes, thank you, Bewildered. You have summed things up very nicely. :)

Skyfarmr said:
Something else came to mind regarding what Laura mentioned in a recent interview with Kevin Barrett http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=19950.0 on Truth Jihad Radio http://www.americanfreedomradio.com/archive/Truth-Jihad-32k-100210.mp3 that "we are a conspiracy"; now, you see, that's another word that has picked up bad vibes and makes a lot of people literally shut down their thinking processes (truth meters) when they here the word. In actuality, conspire, according to Webster, defines the etiology: [conspiren<OFr conspirer<L conspirare, to breathe together, agree, unite < com-, together + spirare, to breathe: see SPIRIT] ...that's so beautiful, how did it become so "dirty"?

So, I guess if others want to label the network here as a Conspiracy Cult, then I suppose in the truest sense of the term, we are: uniting(networking), breathing together (Eiriu Eolas) to weed out the lies and plant seeds of the truth.
What a great place to grow!

Thank you for that post, Skyfarmr. I'm going to print it out and save it. I consider it a beautiful description of how etymology can be used to turn ponerized, inside-out thinking back to outside-in (the right way around)! :)

And I second Gandalf:

Nienna Eluch said:
Gandalf said:
Bewildered said:

Yes, thanks for sharing. :)

Vulcan59 said:
Nienna Eluch said:
Gandalf said:
Bewildered said:

Yes, thanks for sharing. :)

I'd also like to thank you for sharing this information, Bewildered. It can help others, as well as, helping you continue your journey.

Thank you for that, Bewildered (do you know the John Prine song "Dear Abby" btw? There's a verse that's "signed, Bewildered"). I can appreciate your situation as someone who also came to Cassiopaea through Montalk, or even less excusably, found them both at about the same time. Unfortunately for the time his forum was up and I was following it, I wasn't aware of the existence of the Cass forum. It seems there was some kind of issue here pre-2006 so that may have had something to do with it. Montalk definitely seemed to have more of an "anything goes" attitude as far as ideas as opposed to things being much more focused here, but he would crack down on folks from time to time if they were outright belligerent. Unfortunately that leaves much more wiggle room for the insidious ones.

There were times when I tried to get a sense from Montalk about what exactly the conflict was but he was never very forthcoming about it. I really do not mean to stir up a can of worms here, but I wonder if anyone has been in any sort of contact with him to see what his status is in more recent times [as in, anyone "officially" representing this organization in some capacity]. After all, he does end up attracting a lot of people with his website even still, and the suggestions of whatever might have bordered on violence seem to have vanished a while back. I remember some years back there was a thread at NR about Cassiopaea and Montalk. I posted something in it to ask what the current status was, and I think Ark even posted in it. Then it got deleted. I asked Tom what gives and he said Vincent Bridges started posting in it and really stirring things up so he had to delete the thread. How convenient. He couldn't have just deleted his posts?

I'm mainly interested to know to what extent Tom might be a conscious disinformation agent, or if he just has ego issues and is a bit less critical and discerning in certain areas than would suit him. He does after all have quite a mind for hard science and still comes up with some pretty interesting stuff in that regard. There was something on his site recently purporting to divulge the secret of alchemy. A little too far over my head to tell if there was anything to it without actually going out and trying it.

Please don't read this as making any sort of apology for him and/or his ideas. It's just in the past he has seemed like a well enough meaning individual and I'm wondering if there's any way to tone down any sort of "feud" that might still be going on.

meta-agnostic said:
Thank you for that, Bewildered (do you know the John Prine song "Dear Abby" btw? There's a verse that's "signed, Bewildered"). I can appreciate your situation as someone who also came to Cassiopaea through Montalk, or even less excusably, found them both at about the same time. Unfortunately for the time his forum was up and I was following it, I wasn't aware of the existence of the Cass forum. It seems there was some kind of issue here pre-2006 so that may have had something to do with it. Montalk definitely seemed to have more of an "anything goes" attitude as far as ideas as opposed to things being much more focused here, but he would crack down on folks from time to time if they were outright belligerent. Unfortunately that leaves much more wiggle room for the insidious ones.

There were times when I tried to get a sense from Montalk about what exactly the conflict was but he was never very forthcoming about it. I really do not mean to stir up a can of worms here, but I wonder if anyone has been in any sort of contact with him to see what his status is in more recent times [as in, anyone "officially" representing this organization in some capacity]. After all, he does end up attracting a lot of people with his website even still, and the suggestions of whatever might have bordered on violence seem to have vanished a while back. I remember some years back there was a thread at NR about Cassiopaea and Montalk. I posted something in it to ask what the current status was, and I think Ark even posted in it. Then it got deleted. I asked Tom what gives and he said Vincent Bridges started posting in it and really stirring things up so he had to delete the thread. How convenient. He couldn't have just deleted his posts?

I'm mainly interested to know to what extent Tom might be a conscious disinformation agent, or if he just has ego issues and is a bit less critical and discerning in certain areas than would suit him. He does after all have quite a mind for hard science and still comes up with some pretty interesting stuff in that regard. There was something on his site recently purporting to divulge the secret of alchemy. A little too far over my head to tell if there was anything to it without actually going out and trying it.

Please don't read this as making any sort of apology for him and/or his ideas. It's just in the past he has seemed like a well enough meaning individual and I'm wondering if there's any way to tone down any sort of "feud" that might still be going on.

What you read in my message above encapsulates his current views regarding Laura, Ark, and the work represented here (current as of earlier this year, 2010). I have come to understand that regardless of the origin of these views, they are toxic and undermine the accurate perception of the networking that seems to me to be such a vital part of this work. Anyone can read Laura's books...look over this immense and fascinating forum...even get involved with EE...and miss the point entirely. They can remain fast asleep.

Not to mention that he paints an entirely fictional portrait of Laura. It's a personal attack on his part, no doubt about it. Let's keep this in mind.

The only "feud" that applies here is whatever is going on with Tom. I'm convinced that it comes from him, and nowhere else. He feeds his own fire. As I explained above, the only way I was able to find an antidote to his toxicity was to gain an understanding of his relationship in the past with the work. Research (and the resulting investiture of energy) pays off...something I see Laura, Ark and others repeat here on the forum time and again.

I don't think that the underlying cause of his own toxicity (again...this is him and him alone) matters at all, to be honest. It's his choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom