Trump era: Fascist dawn, or road to liberation?

Yes, to all you wrote, Scottie.

I read an article on Greek SOTT the other day that linked to the German movie Die Welle. It is about a classroom experiment, where a professor shows through example how it is possible for any peoples to turn to Nazism at any point in history or any place in the world. The experiment took place in the 70s in a Californian high school, even though Die Welle is describing the events (and a bit more dramatically) in 2008 in a german high school. Of course I watched the movie, this is the kind of stuff that really interests me (there is a description of Die Welle here - actually that post is a spoiler because it recounts the whole movie from start to end, so warning). Anyway, after watching that movie, whatever doubts I might have ever had on whether I would support a group like the Nazis, they completely vanished. It all starts out so innocently, the lies as so well crafted, every member has the feeling that they belong in something that gives them a purpose...

I mentioned already somewhere on this forum that all these people who are rallying against Tramp, all these women wearing their pink hats in the streets, all of them are driven not just by an ideology, but also by a need to belong and have a purpose. Which are the most fundamental needs, after having food, a roof over one's head and basic needs met.

Ever since Trump's inauguration I have been staying awake at night, thinking about all these things, about the division in the US, wondering whether I truly in my heart support Trump at all, about my FB friends who became unrecognisable almost in their vehemence against Trump, and how I felt responsible to address these issues in such a way that I didn't lose friends over it, and I didn't lose my values by not addressing the lies and speaking the truth when called for. So I have been posting much less on FB than usual and I had some people responding, and me writing back, but trying at all times to see their point of view. Well, I did slip sometimes, I called Madeleine Albright a bitch, but I don't think anyone was offended.

In the end, as humans experiencing life on this earth, we have more things in common than things that seperate us (normal humans, there are pathologicals that are almost a different species). Like you say Scottie, when we start seeing our selves as members of a special group or individually, as somehow more intelligent or different (better) in any way from the rest of the people, that is when we start sliding down the slope that ends in "my people have the gods on their side thus all we do is justifiable"... said the Greeks, and the Romans, and the Nazis, and the Zionsists at different points in history. My husband and I watched Kristallnacht on youtube the other night too, and we noted how the Nazi soldiers in their letters back home, were using language almost identical to the one used by the Israelis today, to justify the atrocities they commit against the Palestinians.

So in the end, I am even more grateful to have found this group. My need for belonging is fulfilled and my need for a purpose (and it doesn't matter even if I am often feeling more confused than clear on the latter :lol: ) and I am learning so many things each day, and growing each day (even if a little bit) as a person, and I met you all :love: So yes, I am feeling immensely more grateful these days for this group, I could, and I would, have done a lot worse. But if I see each misguided person outhere as a version of me who never found these material, then it is easier to find the right way to communicate with them, and include them instead of excluding them, and hopefully, someday, some people, will acquire a taste for truth. Maybe not in all things. Some of my friends like and share the anti-vaccine articles I post from SOTT for example, others read and share the weather changes events, others are interested in Paleo. If I go all out or insinuate how stupid they are for their beliefs and their ignorance, they might stop reading everything that I post. And it might be that if some people are convinced to have a look at their diet if nothing else and go towards Paleo even, it might do a whole of good not only to their brains and health, but to their relationships, their communities, their world, our world :)

Alana said:

Ditto! Likely the effect of the wave.

From this thread:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,41885.msg653935.html#msg653935

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,14944.0.html

Q: (L) You once said that the wave was something like "hyperkinetic sensate". And I've often wondered if that means that it's something that massively amplifies whatever is inside an individual? And if that were the case and they were full of a lot of unpleasant, painful, miserable feelings, repressed and suppressed thoughts and so forth, and something that was hyperkinetic sensate amplified all of that, what would it do to that individual? I mean, can you imagine any of us in our worst state of feeling yucky and then having that amplified a bazillion times? If it was bad stuff inside you, you would implode!

A: Soul smashing!

Alana said:
But if I see each misguided person outhere as a version of me who never found these material, then it is easier to find the right way to communicate with them, and include them instead of excluding them, and hopefully, someday, some people, will acquire a taste for truth. Maybe not in all things. Some of my friends like and share the anti-vaccine articles I post from SOTT for example, others read and share the weather changes events, others are interested in Paleo. If I go all out or insinuate how stupid they are for their beliefs and their ignorance, they might stop reading everything that I post. And it might be that if some people are convinced to have a look at their diet if nothing else and go towards Paleo even, it might do a whole of good not only to their brains and health, but to their relationships, their communities, their world, our world :)

Very well said Alana! I too, was one of those people not so long ago, and although it is frustrating, if we can remain compassionate and calm, sharing information in a respectful manner then there is a much greater chance that some may learn something that benefits them. There is so much hysteria and anger going on right now that I think it's important that we don't contribute to that in any way.

Alana said:
Well, I did slip sometimes, I called Madeleine Albright a bitch, but I don't think anyone was offended.

If the shoe fits... :lol:

Really, I don't have a problem with people calling "leaders" what they are based on their actions over years and years. I mean, Killary gives me the heebie-jeebies!

That can even be useful for some people who are afraid to express their own displeasure with our glorious leaders. But of course it's always good to back it up with something that actually happened - some kind of data.

But we notice that with this anti-Trump thing, it's not even Trump himself that many people are ranting against. Before the dude was even in office, he was Satan Incarnate in a way that was very different from Obama's arrival. Much different "flavor".

I think the "name-calling" becomes a real problem when it's an excuse for something else, or especially when it's directed at the very people we're supposed to be helping.

There are also always 3rd parties... Somebody posts on your FB against something, you respond, etc. You may not change that person's mind, but who cares? Maybe some other FB friend reads what you write and stays totally silent, but something sinks in. The battle is about more than just winning an argument - much, much more than just that.

I just keep reminding myself that my job is not to change the world, but simply to broadcast a signal, so to speak. What difference that makes, who knows... But at least I can say I did it with impeccability, compassion, and true concern for somebody other than myself. And so far, I have to say that this method DOES seem to work... in mysterious ways, but I'll take what I can get. :wizard:

Well said Scottie.

All of this negativity going on right now seems to be it's own Wave. And it seems it is taking a lot of people under. I agree that we need to be aware and not get caught up in it as they would want us to do. I am SO glad that I found this group and this material when I did, which was still quite recently. So I am still pretty low on the learning curve. But I do feel grounded by it, which I am grateful for. I am not sure how I would be right now without that foundation. It seems what is happening now has been long planned, as they have been able to 'switch on' their network of media and protest organizations to bring on a withering assault. Couple that with the pre programming put in place, and it is rather chilling. Without this group I am not sure how I would be responding to everything.

Scottie said:
I just keep reminding myself that my job is not to change the world, but simply to broadcast a signal, so to speak. What difference that makes, who knows... But at least I can say I did it with impeccability, compassion, and true concern for somebody other than myself. And so far, I have to say that this method DOES seem to work... in mysterious ways, but I'll take what I can get. :wizard:
Well said! :)

Hithere said:
Scottie said:
Well said! :)

Totally agree with that.

Alana said:

I read an article on Greek SOTT the other day that linked to the German movie Die Welle. It is about a classroom experiment, where a professor shows through example how it is possible for any peoples to turn to Nazism at any point in history or any place in the world. The experiment took place in the 70s in a Californian high school, even though Die Welle is describing the events (and a bit more dramatically) in 2008 in a german high school. Of course I watched the movie, this is the kind of stuff that really interests me (there is a description of Die Welle here - actually that post is a spoiler because it recounts the whole movie from start to end, so warning). Anyway, after watching that movie, whatever doubts I might have ever had on whether I would support a group like the Nazis, they completely vanished. It all starts out so innocently, the lies as so well crafted, every member has the feeling that they belong in something that gives them a purpose...

I mentioned already somewhere on this forum that all these people who are rallying against Tramp, all these women wearing their pink hats in the streets, all of them are driven not just by an ideology, but also by a need to belong and have a purpose. Which are the most fundamental needs, after having food, a roof over one's head and basic needs met.

Ever since Trump's inauguration I have been staying awake at night, thinking about all these things, about the division in the US, wondering whether I truly in my heart support Trump at all, about my FB friends who became unrecognisable almost in their vehemence against Trump, and how I felt responsible to address these issues in such a way that I didn't lose friends over it, and I didn't lose my values by not addressing the lies and speaking the truth when called for. So I have been posting much less on FB than usual and I had some people responding, and me writing back, but trying at all times to see their point of view. Well, I did slip sometimes, I called Madeleine Albright a bitch, but I don't think anyone was offended.

In the end, as humans experiencing life on this earth, we have more things in common than things that seperate us (normal humans, there are pathologicals that are almost a different species). Like you say Scottie, when we start seeing our selves as members of a special group or individually, as somehow more intelligent or different (better) in any way from the rest of the people, that is when we start sliding down the slope that ends in "my people have the gods on their side thus all we do is justifiable"... said the Greeks, and the Romans, and the Nazis, and the Zionsists at different points in history. My husband and I watched Kristallnacht on youtube the other night too, and we noted how the Nazi soldiers in their letters back home, were using language almost identical to the one used by the Israelis today, to justify the atrocities they commit against the Palestinians.

So in the end, I am even more grateful to have found this group. My need for belonging is fulfilled and my need for a purpose (and it doesn't matter even if I am often feeling more confused than clear on the latter :lol: ) and I am learning so many things each day, and growing each day (even if a little bit) as a person, and I met you all :love: So yes, I am feeling immensely more grateful these days for this group, I could, and I would, have done a lot worse. But if I see each misguided person outhere as a version of me who never found these material, then it is easier to find the right way to communicate with them, and include them instead of excluding them, and hopefully, someday, some people, will acquire a taste for truth. Maybe not in all things. Some of my friends like and share the anti-vaccine articles I post from SOTT for example, others read and share the weather changes events, others are interested in Paleo. If I go all out or insinuate how stupid they are for their beliefs and their ignorance, they might stop reading everything that I post. And it might be that if some people are convinced to have a look at their diet if nothing else and go towards Paleo even, it might do a whole of good not only to their brains and health, but to their relationships, their communities, their world, our world :)
Thanks for this post Alana. It's something I definitely need to take to heart. I need to show more tolerance to good people of my acquaintance who have the best interests of their friends, communities, and the world at heart, even if I'm on a different page on how to get there

Alana said:
[...]

I think that’s what missing in so many interactions, in person and online as well. Trying to be tolerant and compassionate towards others, especially when they don’t share the same views. It’s easy to get triggered and argue just to be right or prove a point. And particularly so if someone is really identified with it. Thing is, not everyone is going to see things your way but there are areas where there can be some overlap and can come to a consensus. It’s a very good attitude to have, I think. I remember points in my life where I was very ignorant about many things and if someone came telling me how stupid or ignorant I was that would have closed me off wanting to know more for the simple fact of trying to prove them wrong by believing what I thought to be correct even more. It leads one further away from the truth but that’s often how it turns out. I’ve come to learn many things or entertain new perspectives from reading passing comments from many different places that I don’t underestimate the effect of what one says and how it affects another anymore. It’s a subtle effect but that’s the nature of the signal I think. We do our best to be as objective as possible about things and hopefully others will be able to pick up on that and thus amplify that signal. It may not save the world (not that it ‘needs’ saving) but if even one person is able to be better for it, then that counts for something... osit.

Scottie said:

Thank you Scottie for your posts, well said! I think when we are confronted with different beliefs etc. it's an excellent exercise to ask ourselves questions like "What does he actually want to say? Maybe I'm understanding something completely different...", "maybe he's right?", "does he have a point?", "maybe there are different angles from which to look at the problem that are both valid?" etc.

In my experience, this can lead to very fruitful discussions, both participants learn, and we can plant seeds at strategic places so that people really understand what we are trying to convey, because we think about THEM when saying things. It's difficult though, I really need to fight the urge in such situations to just say things like "no, you are wrong" or "yes, but..."

Sometimes I wonder: if all there is is lessons and this is just a big school, maybe the very fact that we live in a "Trump reality" now suggests that we need to learn such things. I mean, it all has gotten extremely delicate, interesting and multi-facetted. A lot of research and paying attention is needed, and we need to tap into every scrap of knowledge, reflection and experience we got, every day. So in a sense, maybe we graduated to a new class - more difficult and more interesting?

My God, even meltdowns from the Super Bowl. Things sure are polarizing alright.

A Legion of Liberals in Despair Over Patriots Win

_http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/02/06/legion-liberals-despair-patriots-win/

As the New England Patriots performed a miraculous come-from-behind win to clinch another Super Bowl title, giving quarterback Tom Brady an historic fifth Super Bowl ring, liberals from coast to coast lapsed into despair that anyone close to President Donald Trump could become winners.

As soon as Patriots running back James White stretched over into the end zone to slam the pigskin down for that game-winning touch down, liberals took to Twitter to vent their outrage.

Immediately the hash tag #notmysuperbowlchampion started trending with many slamming Brady and Trump.

Oh hell nah #notmysuperbowlchampion https://t.co/GrzXLM5i84

— Tay (@They_LoveTaylor) February 6, 2017

Naturally, many liberals were crushed by Super Bowl 51 and took to Twitter to lament that it felt just as bad as how they felt on Election Day last November when Trump pulled his own come-from-behind win.

https://mobile.twitter.com/billmaher/status/828444931320537088

Naturally many, many other Twitter users seemed to enjoy the liberal tears.

Follow Warner Todd Huston on Twitter @warnerthuston or email the author at igcolonel@hotmail.com.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/02/06/liberals-explode-vitriol-notmysuperbowlchamps-trends-social-media/

PS: Not sure how to embed the twitter responses from the article.

Edit: added second link

Scottie said:
(...)
If you want someone to actually listen to what you say, you can't use derogatory terms to classify what comes out of their mouths. They will instantly shut down, classify you, you have just technically classified them, and nothing will get better because you just killed any possibility of that happening. Sure, you might feel better, but it accomplished nothing... In which case, it's still all about you, as with everyone else.

I think the best way to deal with this stuff is to post things WITHOUT directly addressing any person or group. Give data that contradicts something, and ask simple questions in an emotionally-neutral way so that MAYBE people will think. If not now, then the seed is planted for the future. Maybe...
(...)

Scottie said:

Gosh, I really needed to read this today! Thank you Scottie :flowers:

Especially that part about not changing the world but rather broadcasting a signal. For me, presenting data and asking questions in an emotionally neutral manner gets a lot more complicated when it comes to people I truly care about. It sometimes really hurts to realise that I'm not to be able to help them, which makes neutrality so much more difficult.

The story from the Zelator about the burning house has been on my mind a lot recently. It feels like it fits the context so I’ll quote it here:

The house out there is burning. You can see the flames, but those others cannot see the flames. All you have learned from those books, and from those conversations with wise men, from all those meditations, is to see the flames.

Now the question is, can you leave those people in the flames? Would it not be the act of a Fool to snatch one, or perhaps two, out of the conflagration?' 'If that is what they want.' 'They cannot see the flames, but they do not wish to be burned.

luc said:
Thank you Scottie for your posts, well said! I think when we are confronted with different beliefs etc. it's an excellent exercise to ask ourselves questions like "What does he actually want to say? Maybe I'm understanding something completely different...", "maybe he's right?", "does he have a point?", "maybe there are different angles from which to look at the problem that are both valid?" etc.

In my experience, this can lead to very fruitful discussions, both participants learn, and we can plant seeds at strategic places so that people really understand what we are trying to convey, because we think about THEM when saying things. It's difficult though, I really need to fight the urge in such situations to just say things like "no, you are wrong" or "yes, but..."

Sometimes I wonder: if all there is is lessons and this is just a big school, maybe the very fact that we live in a "Trump reality" now suggests that we need to learn such things. I mean, it all has gotten extremely delicate, interesting and multi-facetted. A lot of research and paying attention is needed, and we need to tap into every scrap of knowledge, reflection and experience we got, every day. So in a sense, maybe we graduated to a new class - more difficult and more interesting?

Thank you both, Scottie and Alana – well said!

People are so polarized right now, that I think they are surprised when someone with a different viewpoint is actually willing to listen. As the hysteria escalates it’s going to be increasingly important for those who can to show how even the most divisive issues can be discussed with an open and calm demeanor. I learn so much from listening to others viewpoints because it encourages me to do more research – I usually find out just how much I don’t know.

I too think back on the person I was prior to finding this group and how much I have changed. I was fairly left leaning, so the past few months have been quite eye-opening. I actually find it invigorating to have to throw some baggage off the cart. Just have to remember that not everyone enjoys that process -some are quite frightened by the changed paradigms, so just having compassion for their sensibilities makes it much easier to not react in haste.

Yeah, it's also refreshing sometimes for people to see someone who isn't latched onto an ideology.

Today we were talking about the lifting of the immigration ban and my supervisor didn't even know that Obama did the same and was the originator of this policy.

He used to joke that I was anti-government, but I make it clear that I am anti-corruption and pro working class, which neither of the parties stand for. It works well for working class people to identify with everyday working class people more than a party, right or left.

For example, the parties take something like workers future/rights/etc and twist them into anti immigrant mentality, diverting the legitimate issue of labor into blaming a group, just like Hitler/nazis did.

I'm still confused as to why the PTB be pushing us down so far, how much more do they need in their pockets before they are happy? People took a lot of concessions since the 60s-70s and they just keep wanting more.

Malcolm X said: “Don't be in such a hurry to condemn a person because he doesn't do what you do, or think as you think or as fast. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today.”

It's a good approach to plant seeds here and there, and hopefully it will lead people to find out some truth-pieces of the puzzle. We all found Laura's material in different ways, and if it weren't for that one person posting that one link or quote, some of us might not be here! I think the same applies when it comes to sharing articles on social media, or dropping hints here and there (if appropriate) when talking with people in our environment.

Though I think that when someone comments on your wall or directs a tweet to you in which lies are told, I think it's ok to give those lies what they deserve, namely the truth (I should add: depending on the person). Or to tell the truth as a response to a tweet that's full of lies. As Laura said at some point, a counter-signal (or truth signal) is necessary and can be helpful. There were a bunch of people for example tweeting and talking about assassinating Trump (and much more), well, that seriously crosses the line and I think the more people who condemn that and express their view on it, the better (if only anonymously).

Not too long ago, there was one person who directed a tweet to me saying I had no clue about the MH17 investigation (and that it was conducted fairly), I tweeted back linking to a SOTT article on the report, but s/he didn't even read it and kept tweeting me so I let it go. Maybe someone else will read it, you never know!

Back
Top Bottom