Ultra Simple Diet

I've read several things about the necessity for breakfast being a good meal because a lot of other issues develop when the adrenal/something or other axis/sleep thing goes kaflooey (Psyche?). I'm one who could never stomach anything in the morning. I noticed this question on several of the health quizzes: do you not feel hungry until later in the day? (something like that). So, after all the reading, I came to the realization that this was actually a symptom of a system out of synch. You SHOULD feel VERY hungry in the morning and eat a big mean then, medium meal at midday and small meal in the evening. I was living this backwards.

So, I'm currently on low dose hydro-cortisone (and other things) to supplement my adrenals until they can get back in synch. You have to get up and take this between 6 and 8 in the morning and then EAT. So, I've been forcing myself to do this. Amazingly, it is having a significant effect.

I have also cut back on my 5-htp because my seretonin seems to be balancing. I've taken as much as 500 mg per day, dropped back to 300, and now I'm going down to 200.

I was taking DLPA and now I don't take any because that system seems to have balanced.

I'm on the fourth round of the mercury detox and this seems to be having a profound effect on all systems.

Rodger Murphree synthesizes it very well in "Beating and Treating Fibromyalgia and CFS":

Always eat breakfast, and never skip meals. If you have low adrenal function, then you are probably not hungry when you wake up. You might have gotten used to using chemical stimulants—such as coffee, sodas, or cigarettes—to get you going.

These stimulants do raise blood sugar and serotonin levels, but they also increase adrenaline and cortisol levels, which curbs the appetite even further. In the morning, your body needs to break the eight-hour fast it has been under. Your brain especially needs to be fed; forty percent of all food fuel goes to maintain proper brain function.

Eat breakfast. No excuses. Cortisol levels are at their highest around 8:00 a.m., and in an attempt to keep otherwise low cortisol
levels elevated in the morning, you may find that you prefer not to eat breakfast. That’s because low adrenal function may cause
you to feel nauseated, mentally and physically drained, jittery, and headachy, so eating is the last thing you want to do. Eat anyway! A
small healthy snack is all you need until hunger comes, usually a couple of hours later. At that time, another balanced snack should
tie you over until lunch. Then, don’t skip lunch!

So lets not forget our breakfast! :)

Laura said:
I've read several things about the necessity for breakfast being a good meal because a lot of other issues develop when the adrenal/something or other axis/sleep thing goes kaflooey (Psyche?). I'm one who could never stomach anything in the morning. I noticed this question on several of the health quizzes: do you not feel hungry until later in the day? (something like that). So, after all the reading, I came to the realization that this was actually a symptom of a system out of synch. You SHOULD feel VERY hungry in the morning and eat a big mean then, medium meal at midday and small meal in the evening. I was living this backwards.

So, I'm currently on low dose hydro-cortisone (and other things) to supplement my adrenals until they can get back in synch. You have to get up and take this between 6 and 8 in the morning and then EAT. So, I've been forcing myself to do this. Amazingly, it is having a significant effect.

I have also cut back on my 5-htp because my seretonin seems to be balancing. I've taken as much as 500 mg per day, dropped back to 300, and now I'm going down to 200.

I was taking DLPA and now I don't take any because that system seems to have balanced.

I'm on the fourth round of the mercury detox and this seems to be having a profound effect on all systems.
Great that the low dose hydro-cortisone is having such a positive effect! I never want to eat breakfast either. I have to force myself to do my protein shake and notice that lately I've slipped into the habit of skipping the shake and not eating until very late in the day again. I really need to see about getting my filings removed. I've put it on the back burner since I have so many other things going on, but none of it is more important than being healthy.

Kila said:
...In the old days when people would eat those typical breakfasts of eggs, bacon, biscuits etc. it wasn't something they ate as soon as they woke up. On my family's farm everyone got up at the crack of dawn and did chores, but it was several hours before the big breakfast ...after chores... so it was really something of a brunch even though it took place at 9 am, everyone had been up for 3 or 4 hours and working hard so very hungry.

I thought about that. On days when I can work at home I have sometimes started with a little cereal (non-wheat, unsweetened or fruit-sweetened, with rice milk), and cooked breakfast later when I felt fully ready to eat, not just hungry. The trouble is, my only morning chores are preparing breakfast (for 1 or 2) and cleaning up. Everything else I do is mental work. My job is humanitarian work, but it doesn't involve exercise. I guess this is part of what we are doing, discovering how to pursue other kinds of life work and still be healthy.

Laura said:

I am trying to better understand adrenal issues. What I have learned so far is that the adrenal glands produce a number of different things, and that mine aren't producing much of the precursor hormone pregnenolone (it appears to be congenital). That throws all kinds of things out of balance, but it isn't fatal and the condition hasn't attracted much research. If I remember correctly, hydrocortisone proved to have more commercial value and that is the direction that the research took (it may have been some other hormone), rather than investigating pregnenolone. I only identified this problem 5 years ago (through blood tests), long after I had done most of my experimenting with diet. I can find lots of "information" on the Web, but almost all of it is from people making money from selling supplements and I don't trust it.

I feel like I need to understand adrenal issues better, so that I can understand which measures would apply to me and which wouldn't. I score about 18 (Medical Care) on the Ultramind Adrenal Dysfunction quiz, which is no surprise at all--my adrenal glands don't work right. I also have had major sexual hormone problems (also congenital) because pregnenolone is a precursor for all of those (and it seems to be an important neurohoromone as well).

Understanding these issues is like solving a big puzzle, but one that my future depends upon. The effect over a lifetime (I am nearly 60) of the adrenal dysfunction has been enormous. I have recently had to deal with cancer that appeared to be related to my adrenal problems, and I think I had better move as quickly as I can. I have learned more from this forum in the last year or so, though, than I did in decades of trying things on my own and seeing doctors, and that is very encouraging. Thank you!

Psyche said:
Rodger Murphree synthesizes it very well in "Beating and Treating Fibromyalgia and CFS":

Always eat breakfast, and never skip meals. If you have low adrenal function, then you are probably not hungry when you wake up. You might have gotten used to using chemical stimulants—such as coffee, sodas, or cigarettes—to get you going.

These stimulants do raise blood sugar and serotonin levels, but they also increase adrenaline and cortisol levels, which curbs the appetite even further. In the morning, your body needs to break the eight-hour fast it has been under. Your brain especially needs to be fed; forty percent of all food fuel goes to maintain proper brain function.

Eat breakfast. No excuses. Cortisol levels are at their highest around 8:00 a.m., and in an attempt to keep otherwise low cortisol
levels elevated in the morning, you may find that you prefer not to eat breakfast. That’s because low adrenal function may cause
you to feel nauseated, mentally and physically drained, jittery, and headachy, so eating is the last thing you want to do. Eat anyway! A
small healthy snack is all you need until hunger comes, usually a couple of hours later. At that time, another balanced snack should
tie you over until lunch. Then, don’t skip lunch!

So lets not forget our breakfast!

And, remember to take the healthy snacks every two hours, especially one at 3.00pm when the system is at its lowest, or take exercise. Also, take the last food a minimum of two hours before sleep.

Baker and Baar (Circadian Prescription) suggest high protein breakfasts and lunch (40-60% protein, 20-30g) and a high carbohydrate dinner (after 4.00pm, cutting back on proteins), and to eat regularly.

Edit: The 20-30g of protein, for each meal, is referenced from The Mood Cure by Julia Ross.

Megan said:
Laura said:

I am trying to better understand adrenal issues.

The low dose hydro-cortisone therapy and when it is useful is explained in "Detoxification and Healing" by Sidney Baker, also in The Mood Cure by Julia Ross, but the pioneer of this therapy is William Jeffries who wrote “Safe Uses of Cortisol.” It is about micro doses of natural cortisone (hydrocortisone), with no side effects. Apparently, he never trusted any tests and he always relied on trial therapies and people's accounts/symptoms to see if they needed or not the hydrocortisone. Maximum dose is 20mg, starting with 2.5-5mg. The protocols and the info are also on the web, but it is a prescription medication. Sidney Baker used it for some cases, he describes the therapy in individuals with congenital adrenal hyperplasia.

I've started the USD today and everything seems to be going well so far. I'm interested in knowing what the 'science' is behind the composition of the Ultra Broth? I mean, why does all the veggies have to be strained out of the 'soup', wouldn't they for example be a good source of fiber? I don't recall Hyman explaining this in his books, but I could be wrong.

How big 'particles' would be okay to leave in the broth; does the 'density' of it matter?

Off to cook more rice and veggies... :D

Aragorn said:
I've started the USD today and everything seems to be going well so far. I'm interested in knowing what the 'science' is behind the composition of the Ultra Broth? I mean, why does all the veggies have to be strained out of the 'soup', wouldn't they for example be a good source of fiber? I don't recall Hyman explaining this in his books, but I could be wrong.

How big 'particles' would be okay to leave in the broth; does the 'density' of it matter?

The broth will have the concentrated nutrients of the veggies. We usually throw the veggies away, but sometimes people eat them. So sometimes we keep them.

Galahad said:
Kniall, my experience with the coffee enemas is that if you keep up with them, you'll start feeling great afterwards. I did them daily for a month when I started. But finding the right dose of the coffee is important. I did some before reading Sherry Rogers' book and was using 4 tablespoons of coffee. That was a real rush!

Also, I have read that if the coffee gets to far into your intestines (out of the colon) that you might get the caffeine rush.

I think I'm getting the hang of it now. I've done it for four days and seem to be over the groggy brain fog from releasing all those accumulated toxins. And to think that I swore I'd never go near coffee again :cool:

In the book Adrenal Fatigue; The 21st Century Stress Syndrome Dr. James L. Wilson N.D D.C Ph.D.

offers this daily program for Adrenal Recovery

7:00 - AM Get up(ony if you need to get up by this time in order to get to work on time) Otherwise sleep in until 9:00 AM or so, every chance you get.

7:15 - Drink one 8 oz glass of water with 1/2 tsp sea salt stirred in

7:30- Do light work out or relaxation and breathing techniques. Shower. ( I would recommend EE and the coffee enema at this time to increase the livers ability to detox as well as empty the gall bladder in preparation for breaking ones fast)

8:15 - Breakfast: include protein, fats (oils) and a small amount of starchy unrefined carbohydrates, 1 cup green tea, mint tea or other beverage(no coffee, black tea or colas) Chew well.
Supplements- Adrenal Exhaustion Formula
Adrenal C
( While breakfast is essential in resetting the metabolism I believe the composition of breakfast to be the most critical of all the meals taken during the day. His recommendation is well met by the Ultra Diet shake I think. I usually start the day with a shake. But the fact is that for most people adrenal fatigue runs concurrent with a sluggish liver. In fact in my practice I have rarely seen one without the other, except in young children where adrenal fatigue may be present without the usual sluggish detoxification processes of the liver being present, but liver involvement is almost a certainty. A careful examination and clinical tests may be warranted to rule out Pyroluria.)

10:15 AM - Break: Snack ( a few bites of food that contains protein, fat(oils) and unrefined, starchy carbohydrate: No caffeine or refined carbohydrates, rest lying down after snack; use breathing or relaxation techniques if needed(whatever makes you feel good)

11:45 AM- Lunch: Protein, a small amount of starchy unrefined carbohydrates, fats(oils) and vegetables; no caffeine or refined carbohydrates. Chew well.
( in my opinion I would include flours under the heading refined carbohydrates, even if they are rice or buckwheat flours as they are significantly broken down already and will rapidly enter the bloodstream. That said, the digestive system is at full strength at this time of day so, IMHO, this should be the biggest meal of the day; as it is in many Latin and Mediterranean cultures. As a side note, it is midday that most nomadic and/or hunter/gatherer people eat their main meal.)

2:00 PM- Break: snack ( same general constituents as morning break); no caffeine or refined carbohydrates, rest lying down after snack; use breathing or relaxation techniques if needed.
Supplements- Adrenal Exhaustion Formula
Adrenal C

5:30 PM- Supper: Include protein, starchy unrefined carbohydrates, fats, 3-4 green vegetables(salad) possibly some fruit; no caffeine or refined carbyhydrates. Chew well.
More supplements.

7:00 PM- Do relaxation and breathing techniques

9:30 PM- Have a small healthy snack if you usually have difficulty sleeping.

10:00 PM- Bed

In general I would recommend his book. He also has a web site and sells his own line of supplements. I am not impressed with the quality of the supplements and don't use or recommend them.

Another possibility to consider when a case appears to present as adrenal fatigue is Pyroluria the following is a brief overview:
(Notice the distinctions around aversion to food in the morning accompanied by nausea. This is a subtle distinction between frank adrenal fatigue and Pyroluria.)

Articles
Pyroluria

Pyroluria (originally known as malvaria) is a genetic abnormality in hemoglobin synthesis resulting in a deficiency of zinc and vitamin B6. People with pyroluria produce excess amounts of a byproduct from hemoglobin synthesis, called OHHPL (hydroxyhemoppyrrolin-2-one). In these people an excess amount of pyrrole is found in the urine. Associated changes in fatty acid metabolism lead to low levels of arachidonic acid (an omega-6 fatty acid). The presence of pyroluria can have a profound effect on mental and physical health and was first discovered in relation to schizophrenia.
Pyroluria incidence in different subgroups.
Schizophrenia 27%
Depression 20%
Autism 20%
Bipolar Disorder 18%
General population 10%
Common emotional and physical characteristics of pyroluria.

* Little or no dream recall
* White spots on finger nails
* Poor morning appetite and/or tendency to skip breakfast
* Morning nausea
* Pale skin, poor tanning or burn easy in sun
* Sensitivity to bright light
* Hypersensitive to loud noises
* Reading difficulties (e.g. dyslexia)
* Histrionic (dramatic)
* Argumentative/enjoy argument
* Mood swings or temper outbursts
* Much higher capability & alertness in the evening, compared to mornings
* Anxiousness
* Preference for spicy or heavily flavored foods
* Abnormal body fat distribution
* Significant growth after the age of 16

Articles:

* Pyroluria: Hidden Cause of Schizophrenia, Bipolar, Depression, and Anxiety Symptoms by Woody McGinnis, M.D.
* Commentary on Nutritional Treatment of Mental Disorders: Pyrrole Disorder by Willam Walsh, Ph.D.
* Pyroluria by Carl C. Pfeiffer, Ph.D., M.D.
* Pyroluria by Jeremy E. Kaslow, M.D., F.A.C.P., F.A.C.A.A.I.
* The Analyst: Pyroluria

Laboratories which test for pyroluria:

* Bio-Center Laboratory (Wichita, KS, USA)
* Biolab Medical Unit (London, UK)
* Direct Healthcare Access, Inc. (Mount Prospect, IL, USA)
* Great Plains Laboratory (Lenexa, KS, USA)
* Klinisch Ecologisch Allergie Centrum (Weert, Netherlands)
* S.A.F.E. Analytical Laboratories (Gold Coast, Australia)
* Vitamin Diagnostics (New Jersey, USA)

Related research in chronological order:

* The Relationship Between an Unknown Factor (US) in the Urine of Subjects and HOD Test Results. J Neuropsychiatry 2:363-368, 1961. (by Abram Hoffer MD, PhD & Humphry Osmond, M.D.)
* The Presence of Unidentified Substances in the Urine of Psychiatric Patients 2:331-362, 1961 (by Abram Hoffer M.D, PhD, et al)
* The Presence of Malvaria in Some Mentally Retarded Children. Amer J Ment Def 67:730-732, 1963. (by Abram Hoffer M.D, PhD, et al)
* Malvaria: A New Psychiatric Disease. Acta Psychiat Scand 39:335-366, 1963. (by Abram Hoffer MD, PhD & Humphry Osmond, M.D.)
* Malvaria and the Law. Psychoso-matics, 7:303-310, 1966. (by Abram Hoffer M.D, PhD, et al)
* Mauve spot and schizophrenia. American Journal of Psychiatry 125(6):849-851, 1968.
* Biochemical relationship between kryptopyrrole (mauve factor and trans-3-methyl-2-hexenoic acid schizophrenia odor). Res Commun Chem Pathol Pharmacol 1973 (by Carl Pfeiffer MD, PhD, et al.)
* Studies on the occurrence of the mauve factor in schizophrenia [article in Polish]. Psychiat. Pol., 7(2):153-9, 1973.
* Treatment of pyroluric schizophrenia (malvaria) with large doses of pyridoxine and a dietary supplement of zinc. J. Orthomolecular Psychiatry3(4):292 1974 (by Carl Pfeiffer PhD, MD & Arthur Sohler PhD)
* A rapid screening test for pyroluria; useful in distinguishing a schizophrenic subpopulation. J. Orthomolecular Psychiatry 1974 3(4):273 (by Arthur Sohler PhD)
* Neurological and behavioral toxicity of kryptopyrrole in the rat., Pharmacol Biochem Behav 3(2):243-50 1975
* Zinc and Manganese in the Schizophrenias. J. Orthomolecular Psychiatry 12(3):215 1983 (by Carl Pfeiffer PhD, MD and Scott LaMola, BS)
* A new prostaglandin disturbance syndrome in schizophrenia: delta-6-pyroluria., Med Hypotheses 19(4):333-8 1986
* Pyroluria � Zinc and B6 deficiencies. Int Clin Nutr Rev 1988 (by Carl Pfeiffer MD, PhD, et al.)
* The Discovery of Kryptopyrrole and its Importance in Diagnosis of Biochemical Imbalances in Schizophrenia and in Criminal Behavior J. Orthomolecular Medicine 10(1):3 1995 (by Abram Hoffer M.D, PhD)
* Fatty Acid Profiles of Schizophrenic Phenotypes, 91st AOCS Annual Meeting and Expo San Diego, California 2000 (by William Walsh PhD of the Pfeiffer Treatment Center)
* Urinary Pyrrole (Mauve Factor): Metric for Oxidative Stress in Behavioral Disorders, presented to the Linus Pauling Institute, 2003 (by Woody R. McGinnis MD)

Blake Graham, BSc (Honours), AACNEM
Clinical Nutritionist
Perth, Western Australia

http://www.nutritional-healing.com.au/content/articles-content.php?heading=Pyroluria

Getting back to the liver. Almost without exception, wherever I have found and assessed adrenal fatigue I have found liver dysfunction to some degree. I believe that adrenal fatigue follows on the heals of a sluggish liver.

I believe the Ultra Diet appears to address the liver concerns pretty well. The diet could be used as a process of detoxification for the liver as well; but fats should be limited somewhat and never heated, the protein sources are good but the largest meal should be taken midday, and fried foods and fatty meats should be eliminated for a period of time until the gall bladder is cleared.

There are of course a variety of supplements and herbs that could be administered as well. Notice also how many of the symptoms of poor liver function mirror adrenal fatigue.

Functions of Your Liver

In ancient times, the liver was considered the seat of the soul and therefore the most important organ of the body. In traditional Chinese Medicine it is designated as the dispenser of "chi," the life force. (In Western terms, it can be explained in relation to the thyroid hormone, thyroxin, being used by the liver to generate metabolism.) The liver is the second largest organ of the body (second only to the skin) and, undoubtedly, the most abused. Responsible for over 100 known functions, the liver is a marvel of chemical precision with diverse abilities: master chemist, supply office, fuel storage, housekeeper, and poison control center.

The master chemist portion of the liver metabolizes proteins, fats and carbohydrates providing energy and nutrients for the other systems of the body. It creates bile to help emulsify fats making them easier to break down into their fatty-acid components, works to maintain electrolyte (magnesium/calcium and potassium/sodium) levels, is involved in the formation and breakdown of blood and helps to maintain water balance by producing serum proteins.

As a supply office, the liver will provide extra blood on demand in case of a critical situation. It also stores fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K.

As a fuel storage facility, it stores B vitamins, minerals and sugars. The latter are stored as a reserve sugar called glycogen which is meant to be released when blood stores of available glucose become low due to exercise, stress or delayed eating.

Functioning as the major detoxifying organ of the body, the liver is responsible for filtering the blood and removing harmful bacteria and chemicals including the breakdown and elimination of excess hormones. This function of your liver has been dramatically overburdened within the last two generations because of the impact of our polluting technologies and lifestyle habits: unending stress, poor diet, alcohol & drugs and evironmental toxins. It is by this means that we have wreaked havoc on this amazing organ and contributed more to our "dis-ease" than ever before in our species' sojourn upon this planet.

We have been blessed with a remarkably resilient and faithful servant, but how long it can stand this abuse is a critical question as your faithful loyal friend, protector and lover, the liver, puts up with it all. Believe me, your liver LOVES you. It works so hard to make things right and good and comfortable for you. But after a time, subject to insult after insult, the liver can become "deranged."
How would you know if your liver is "deranged?"

Chinese medicine has a very elaborate list of liver symptoms. Western-trained doctors will be in a swoon trying to make "clinical sense" of this list. Chinese medicine is a system that requires of Westerners a repatterning of the brain. The first step is surrender. The second step is observation.

The liver expresses itself through the eyes. Red, inflamed conjunctiva and sclera, watery, painful, feeling of sand in the eyes, blurred misty vision, film over the eyeballs and guck in the corners are all signs of liver imbalance. The amount of life and vitality that the eyes reflect is a very good indication of liver health. A dull, listless, unfocused or tired look signifies problems. Peace, compassion, love, mirth and joy are states of being that the eyes convey when the liver is healthy.

If the liver is not "watering the yin" or not able to disperse nutrients properly, ligaments and tendons become tight.

There is very limited flexibility. Knees, shoulders, hips and other joints do not articulate well. Aching joints upon waking in the morning and arthritis also fall into this category.

The nails reflect the quality of the liver. Split, flaking, ridged, pale or brittle nails indicate liver disharmony.

Painful swelling of the breasts and pain on the left and right sides of the body in the lower rib area indicate a potential liver problem. A bruised or full tightness of the area just under the lower curve of the bottom ribs on the right side of the body is a good indication of liver problems by Western criteria.

Headaches, and in particular a "liver full" headache (this type of headache involves sharp excruciating pain, nausea and vomiting) vascular, unilateral headaches called migraines, flushed face, bright "apples" in the cheeks, hot flushed feeling, and hot flashes are "liver excess" symptoms. Acne, psoriasis and eczema, clear to white mucous discharge from the nose typical of allergies and hayfever, also ringing in the ears, middle ear infection (otitis media), and dizzy spells are also linked to the liver.

Bitter taste in the mouth, dry mouth, a craving for sour foods: green apples, lemons or vinegars, indicate an irritated liver. According to folk and Chinese medicine, sour will soothe the liver and appears to be the reason for the craving.

Waking between 1 and 3 a.m., sometimes sweaty and agitated, and unable to return to sleep for sometime, is a form of insomnia typical of liver dysfunction. Centuries ago, the Chinese developed a "celestial clock", based on when the flow of energy is at its peak for each organ system. According to this clock, and Western clinical research, the liver is most active at these early morning hours. Waking at this time is recognized by some physicians as a typical symptom of stress and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS). In CFS, the liver is inflamed. Because of this, the liver responds to normal daily rhythms of function with excess activity.

The liver would like to wind down from 3 p.m. until Midnight. Bile production is at its lowest rate in the late afternoon into the evening. This is the root of the practice in rural and traditional areas of the world that the main meal of the day is eaten midday with a light meal in the evening and signifies an innate wisdom that has been lost as the Industrial Age has progressed. At near midnight, bile production is increased and in cases where the liver is inflamed, the patient will be disturbed by this increase of liver activity causing the patient to wake and be unable to fall back to sleep immediately. The "liver- friendly" practice of retiring early and rising early is reflected in the liver's physiological rhythms. Liver repair is only successfully accomplished when the patient sleeps. The need for good adequate rest for healing becomes apparent. Late evening meals and keeping late hours regularly burden the body dramatically, especially as the body ages.

Read more about Nutrition and Proper Food Combining

Fatigue, irritability, lack of determination, being easily upset, short tempered, feeling nervous sensitivity and attention to trivial matters are all psychological "states of being" associated with an aggravated or depleted liver. The emotion typically associated with the liver is anger, flashing, aggressive outbursts or just a plain mad-at-the world attitude. Dreaming of war, fights, fighting and destruction are liver symptoms that reveal themselves while we sleep.

Fear of exercise, making excuses or not desiring to commit to an exercise routine or not wanting to be involved in physical activity; depleted sexual desire, white, mucousy, fishy smelling discharge of the vagina, whitish discharge of the penis can also be indicative of liver problems. Menstrual activity is greatly influenced by the health of the liver which means that menstrual irregularities including excessive bleeding, cramps, light menses or the lack of menses all have a liver connection.

This is a partial list of symptoms associated with liver pathology. In Chinese medicine, there are 6 main possibilities of pathology or disharmony. Some symptoms from all the possibilities have been included. Not a single symptom mentioned above is considered a normal occurrence for a healthy body.

Healing the liver means reducing toxic encounters in diet, emotions, environment and lifestyle.

So, detoxification is key in all respects. I love all the various resources that have been brought up here on the forum to accomplish this. I'm getting ready to start my own program of liver detox. Can't wait for my FIR blanket to get here. It's been a while, and with all the stress of the last year I know I am overdue.

Day 2 of the USD for me and I feel great. The food is delicious when prepared with spices and I absolutely love the smoothies. I almost feel as though something is wrong because I'm not feeling deprived at all (actually, quite the opposite). Thanks so much for directing me toward this amazing eating plan, Laura and company; it's been too long since I've made a major commitment to my body's wellbeing. :thup:

Aragorn said:

Off to cook more rice and veggies...

Congrats on starting today, Aragorn!

Psyche said:
The low dose hydro-cortisone therapy and when it is useful is explained in "Detoxification and Healing" by Sidney Baker, also in The Mood Cure by Julia Ross, but the pioneer of this therapy is William Jeffries who wrote “Safe Uses of Cortisol.” It is about micro doses of natural cortisone (hydrocortisone), with no side effects. Apparently, he never trusted any tests and he always relied on trial therapies and people's accounts/symptoms to see if they needed or not the hydrocortisone. Maximum dose is 20mg, starting with 2.5-5mg. The protocols and the info are also on the web, but it is a prescription medication. Sidney Baker used it for some cases, he describes the therapy in individuals with congenital adrenal hyperplasia.

So the Baker book might be a good place to look next? What I have is similar to some forms CAH. In fact, CAH can cause low pregenenolone and hypogonadism, although the form of hypogonadism that I had was different from that usually associated with CAH if I remember correctly. I read quite a bit about CAH. It can result from genetic mutations that interrupt various adrenal hormone synthesis pathways. I may have a similar pathway problem, but I don't feel that it is genetic and there is no family history of CAH that I know of.

Kniall said:
Galahad said:
Kniall, my experience with the coffee enemas is that if you keep up with them, you'll start feeling great afterwards. I did them daily for a month when I started. But finding the right dose of the coffee is important. I did some before reading Sherry Rogers' book and was using 4 tablespoons of coffee. That was a real rush!

Also, I have read that if the coffee gets to far into your intestines (out of the colon) that you might get the caffeine rush.

I think I'm getting the hang of it now. I've done it for four days and seem to be over the groggy brain fog from releasing all those accumulated toxins. And to think that I swore I'd never go near coffee again :cool:

So what kind of coffee is everyone using? Has anyone tried S.A. Wilson's?

Back
Top Bottom