Ultra Simple Diet

Megan said:
So the Baker book might be a good place to look next?

It is one of the best books we've read, so we included it in our recommended top 5 health books. Baker is a very good writer, and I'm sure you'll find the book very informative. It is an overview of detoxification. His therapy for CAH is based on William Jeffries, “Safe Uses of Cortisol.”

Here is some related information:

Safe Uses of Cortisol
http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/safe-uses/

Non Classical Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia
http://jeffreydach.com/2008/02/27/a-commonly-missed-cause-of-infertility-nonclassical-cah-by-jeffrey-dach-md.aspx
http://www.caresfoundation.org/ProductCart/pc/ncah_late_onset_cah.html

Psyche said:
It is one of the best books we've read, so we included it in our recommended top 5 health books. Baker is a very good writer, and I'm sure you'll find the book very informative. It is an overview of detoxification. His therapy for CAH is based on William Jeffries, “Safe Uses of Cortisol.”

Thank you! For some reason I didn't recognize that one -- I ordered that whole set of books last weekend and they should arrive soon.

I've successfully been on the enhanced USD for a week now, and I'm beginning to feel fantastic! There were a couple of days during the week that I was feeling pretty cranky and my wife wasn't too happy about it. But now things have calmed down and I feel that my energy and mood has proved significantly. Both aspects are more stable too. I have lost some weight, and considering the fact that I'm the 'skinny type', I yesterday started to follow the "normal" 6 week program, as outlined in Hyman's UMS.

Strangely my hands have got extremely dry, to the point that the skin is starting to "crack up". I've never had this problem before. I wonder if this is normal? Am I lacking something that causes this? I take all the basic supplements, so I guess this must be some sort of metabolizing thingy?

Aragorn said:
Strangely my hands have got extremely dry, to the point that the skin is starting to "crack up". I've never had this problem before. I wonder if this is normal? Am I lacking something that causes this? I take all the basic supplements, so I guess this must be some sort of metabolizing thingy?

Are you taking enough essential fatty acids (flax seed oil, fish oil) and drinking enough water?

I'm happy to hear about your progress :) and hopefully the dry skin will get better soon.

Psyche said:
Aragorn on Today at 11:05:16 AM said:

Are you taking enough essential fatty acids (flax seed oil, fish oil) and drinking enough water?

I'm happy to hear about your progress Smiley and hopefully the dry skin will get better soon.

Hi Aragorn, I had a similar problem within the last year, after starting on the various diets, and it is only now starting to reduce (softer skin) - daily application of lemon juice helps. So, along with Pysche's advice (which I was doing), I had a look at possible metaphysical causes, and posted these on the E-E Breathing Meditation thread, and are quoted below:

I think the physical manifestation has crept up on me; perhaps it was there before this week started. The knuckles on my right hand are dry, rough and hard. What is definitely new this week is that I’ve noticed that the skin problem has started to spread to my left hand.

Reference Louise Hay, in You Can Heal Your Life,
Right side of the body – Giving out, letting go, masculine energy, men, the father.

Skin problems – Anxiety, fear. Old, buried guck. I am being threatened.

Eczema – Breath – taking in antagonism. Mental emphasis.

Left side of the body – Represents receptivity, taking in, feminine energy, women, the mother.

The Predator’s mind appears to be hanging on for dear life in my-self, avoiding letting go and at the same time refusing to take in.

Reference Lise Bourbeau, in Your body’s telling you: Love yourself!
HAND PROBLEMS
EMOTIONAL BLOCK
… The hands, as well as the arms, are an extension of the heart region, therefore … in the hands indicates that what is being done is not being done out of love, especially self-love. The hands must be used to express love for yourself as well as love for others.

The left hand is linked to receiving and the right hand to giving. … you are out of touch with your needs and heart’s desires. You are holding back from doing what you really want to do with your hands.

MENTAL BLOCK
If … experienced in the left hand, examine what you feel about receiving. Are you afraid to receive a helping hand? Do you receive with love and gratitude or do you feel that you are obliged to return the favor in order to avoid looking ungrateful or selfish? Do you believe it is impossible for someone to give you something without wanting something from you in return? Your belief system is creating an obstacle to enjoyment. Learn to receive graciously and openly, with the understanding that you are a special person whom others like to give to and you deserve it.

If … experience in the right hand, examine what you feel in regard to giving. Do you give with strings attached or out of obligation? Are you apprehensive about giving a helping hand to others? Do you hold back because you feel others will take advantage of your generosity and because you find it difficult to say no? Do you feel that you need to do everything yourself? Learn to give simply for the pleasure of giving. If it is not well received, understand that the other person may simply not have the same tastes and desires you have and accept that for what it is.

… in the hands may be linked to your attitude abut your work. The hands should always be used with love and pleasure; … Allow yourself to take situations in hand without fear of being taken advantage of. You have all the necessary tools to face that situation if it arises.

If the … in your hands is preventing you from doing something you like … see which fear is behind that. Is it still justified considering who you have become? Get in touch with simple pleasures, perhaps childhood pleasures that you sense a longing for. Allow yourself to indulge them without fear of being judged.

SKIN DISORDERS
EMOTIONAL BLOCK
The skin is linked closely to self-image and reflects this to the outside world. …

All skin disorders are manifestations of shame and self-depreciation. You pay too much attention to how others see you and to their judgment of you. You tend to identify what is outside of you, rather than simply being yourself.

Generally, you are very sensitive to what goes on around you and are easily touched by situations involving others, although you have difficulty loving and accepting your-self as you are.

[…]

If your skin condition is superficial, affecting only the epidermis, … it indicates difficulty in getting through a separation, a loss of contact or communication. Such loss is interpreted as rejection and is viewed as final. You tend to be a rescuer or protector, especially of the opposite sex.

[…]

MENTAL BLOCK
[…]

You body is sending you an important message to be more gentle and accepting of yourself. Allow yourself to be human and learn to love yourself in all your humanness, with all its fears and limitations, weaknesses and insecurities. You have the right to make a decision, without guilt, that would help you save your own skin – even if it means displeasing those you love. Your worth is determined by the quality of your own heart, from the person you are in the innermost recesses of your soul, not by what goes on in the physical world.

ECZEMA
… indicates a lack of confidence or inner balance. You experience a general feeling of anxiety and uncertainty in your life and about your future.

This may, or may not, help you in your present situation, just a thought.

Mod's note: Edited to fix the quotation boxes

Hello all,

I am on day 2 of the poor, busy person's ultra-simple diet.

It consists of:

breakfast: berries/rice milk (for some reason the rice milks in France are less adulterated than in the US) shake, multi-vitamin, magnesium

lunch: brown rice, 1 or 2 baked chicken thighs (white meat too expensive!!!), herbal anti-candida treatment (more on this below)

supper: vegetable soup, canned sardines or mackerel

snacks if necessary: brown rice, vegetable soup, buckwheat pancakes

night-time: 5-htp

I am feeling die-off symptoms of candida that I am almost sure are attributable to the herbal candida medicine. It is called horopito and is an herb indigenous to New Zealand. I decided to try it because the producers claim to have done clinical testing that show it to be similarly powerful to pharmaceutical fungicides, and I really don't have time to convince a French doctor to give me something like Nystatin right now.

I think candida is an issue because I have cracked and yellowing toenails and sugar cravings.

I feel die-off symptoms such as a slightly feverish feeling and a sore body within 2 hours of taking the herb, so it might be working. I will do a product review once i have tried it for a little longer.

The tranisition to the stricter diet has not been too difficult because I have been gradually changing my diet for awhile now. I must say it feels nice to be only putting more or less good stuff in the body right now. Thanks for the research to those of you who did it...

Hi,

thank you very much for the info provided in this thread! Since last weekend I started to cut gluten-containing food from my daily menu. I will go forward step by step, not all the sudden - so I can become familiar with the modified eating, can observe better etc.

A question that came up, whose answer I could not find out through using the search function (not covered in this thread and many posts containing the word "potatoe", but not in a context, that provided an answer). I learned, that you use sweet potatoes at Buckwheat Castle. What about the use of "ordinary" yellow potatoes? Can these also become included in dietary changes, or is this not advisable? I would not mind sweet potatoes, if they are actually healthier to the human body system. ;)
Much thanks for your patience,

Learner

Hi Learner,

"Ordinary" potatoes are part of the night shade family, which some people can't tolerate. Initially, during the elimination diet, the Ultra Simple diet, they should be eliminated. Then, they can be tested to see if the body tolerates them. Here are the details of the diet: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=13241.0

Psyche said:
Hi Learner,

"Ordinary" potatoes are part of the night shade family, which some people can't tolerate. Initially, during the elimination diet, the Ultra Simple diet, they should be eliminated. Then, they can be tested to see if the body tolerates them. Here are the details of the diet: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=13241.0

I remember reading somewhere that potatoes (the yellow ones) are for the most part starch and that the enzymes in the body cut the starch into sugar, thus creating trouble especially with the insulin levels. And since sweet potatoes don't have as much starch as the normal ones, they are for this reason too a better alternative. Am I on the right track here?

I think you are onto something, at least the sweet potatoes have a lower glycemic index than potatoes. They are considered "low" in the glycemic index rate, while potatoes are rated medium or high... I just found some info about it :):

http://www.foodreference.com/html/sweet-pot-nutrition.html

Sweet Potato Ranks Number One In Nutrition

According to nutritionists at the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), the single most important dietary change for most people, including children, would be to replace fatty foods with foods rich in complex carbohydrates, such as sweet potatoes.

CSPI ranked the sweet potato number one in nutrition of all vegetables. With a score of 184, the sweet potato outscored the next highest vegetable by more than 100 points. Points were given for content of dietary fiber, naturally occurring sugars and complex carbohydrates, protein, vitamins A and C, iron and calcium. Points were deducted for fat content (especially saturated fat), sodium, cholesterol, added refined sugars and caffeine. The higher the score, the more nutritious the food.

Sweet potato baked 184
Potato, baked 83
Spinach 76
Kale 55
Mixed Vegetables 52
Broccoli 52
Winter Squash, Baked 44
Brussels Sprouts 37
Cabbage, Raw 34
Green Peas 33
Carrot 30
Okra 30
Corn on the Cob 27
Tomato 27
Green Pepper 26
Cauliflower 25
Artichoke 24
Romaine Lettuce 24
The Center for Science in the Public Interest, Washington D.C. copyright 1992

The reasons the sweet potato took first place? Dietary fiber, naturally occurring sugars, complex carbohydrates, protein, vitamins A and C, iron and calcium. The sweet potato received a score of 184; the vegetable ranked in second place was more than 100 points behind with a score of 83.

The numbers for the nutritional sweet potato speak for themselves: almost twice the recommended daily allowance of vitamin A, 42 percent of the recommendation for vitamin C, four times the RDA for beta carotene, and, when eaten with the skin, sweet potatoes have more fiber than oatmeal. All these benefits with only about 130 to 160 calories!

Sweet Potato Nutrition Facts
(for one medium size sweet potato)
Calories 130
Fat 0.39 g
Protein 2.15 g
Net Carbs 31.56 g
Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
Calcium 28.6 mg
Sodium 16.9 mg
Potassium 265.2 mg
Folate 18.2 mcg
Vitamin C 29.51 mg
Vitamin A 26081.9 IU
Source: US Department of Agriculture

Among root vegetables, sweet potatoes offer the lowest glycemic index rating. That's because the sweet potato digests slowly, causing a gradual rise in blood sugar so you feel satisfied longer. It's time to move sweet potatoes to the "good" carb list. Many of the most popular diets these days have already.

SWEET POTATO NUTRITIONAL ASPECTS AND POPULAR DIETS

South Beach Diet
For the nearly 12 million Americans counting carbohydrates as part of the Atkins or South Beach plans, the glycemic index plays a critical part in determining acceptable foods. The index ranks how quickly the body converts carbohydrates into sugar; the lower the glycemic index in a food, the less it will cause weight gain. Sweet potatoes rank significantly lower than white potatoes in the glycemic index, which explains why both carb-counting diets encourage substituting yams for Idaho potatoes. Sweet potatoes are introduced in the later phases of these diets as an acceptable food because they are nutrient-rich.

Atkins Diet
The Atkins Diet recommends introducing 10 grams of carbs in Phase 3 of the diet plan. Sweet potatoes have 10 grams of carbohydrates for every 1/4 cup. Sweet potatoes are on the safe list as a great substitute for other starches such as rice, potatoes and corn.

Sugarbusters Diet
The popular "Sugarbusters" diet that swept the nation is also a strong advocate of including sweet potatoes in a healthy diet. The Sugarbusters diet recommends sweet potatoes as a great substitute for other foods high in sugar and carbohydrates such as rice, pasta and corn.

One of the Sugarbusters book's authors reports that the part of a carrot that's healthy is the beta carotene necessary for visual activity and needed for the retina that's found in the pigment, not the fleshy part of the carrot that's full of sugar. You can also get the beta carotene from sweet potatoes, which are not full of sugar.

Psyche said:
Hi Learner,

Hi Psyche, thanks for the info about potatoes! I will go into the diet step by step, so I would not become demotivated. I really appreciate the info quite a lot, copied the text in a text document and will also colour it, then I print it and pin it on the wall in the kitchen.

Aragorn said:
I remember reading somewhere that potatoes (the yellow ones) are for the most part starch and that the enzymes in the body cut the starch into sugar, thus creating trouble especially with the insulin levels. And since sweet potatoes don't have as much starch as the normal ones, they are for this reason too a better alternative. Am I on the right track here?

Hi Aragorn, thanks for that info. I remember this as well (from school) - that potatoes have a lot of starch, that is being cut into smaller bits by enzymes, until it becomes glycose.

Psyche said:
According to nutritionists at the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), the single most important dietary change for most people, including children, would be to replace fatty foods with foods rich in complex carbohydrates, such as sweet potatoes. [...] With a score of 184, the sweet potato outscored the next highest vegetable by more than 100 points. Points were given for content of dietary fiber, naturally occurring sugars and complex carbohydrates, protein, vitamins A and C, iron and calcium.[...] The higher the score, the more nutritious the food.

Thank you for that excellent article, Psyche!

Psyche said:
Among root vegetables, sweet potatoes offer the lowest glycemic index rating. That's because the sweet potato digests slowly, causing a gradual rise in blood sugar so you feel satisfied longer.

So, as sweet potatoes are such gentle food for the digestive and metabolic system and also do have so many other marvellous attributes, I will surely go for them! My room mate sometimes has sweet potatoes, so I will ask her where to buy them. ;)

Learner said:
Thank you for that excellent article, Psyche!

Yeah thanks Psyche, I didn't know sweet potatoes were so healthy. I had stayed away from them because I thought they were related to regular potatoes, but they aren't even nightshades.

3D Student said:
Yeah thanks Psyche, I didn't know sweet potatoes were so healthy. I had stayed away from them because I thought they were related to regular potatoes, but they aren't even nightshades.

Occasionally, we eat them deep-fried in duck fat... It is quite a treat! ;)

Psyche said:
3D Student said:

Sweet potatoes revealed, for me, to be the perfect snack. They are delicious and quite filling. Your deep fried version in duck fat sounds very tempting Psyche.
Though I have to admit having some resistance to eating food that is fried, I suppose occasionally won't hurt :D

Psyche said:

Mmm. Yam or sweet potato fries are my yummy food. Instead of ketchup I put a little vinegar of the four theives on it.

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=14751.msg116645#msg116645

Back
Top Bottom