Ultra Simple Diet

I finally had a little time to sit down and read this very interesting thread.

I am so glad I did. Such interesting stuff.

For the most part I am on the same page with everything said. I am pleased that everyone is on the same page regarding the disinfo perpetuated by the AMA on cholesterol and heart disease. A book that really brings these studies into the light of day and the corresponding politics is Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. It is really an entertaining read if a bit dense in places. Taubes is a correspondent for Science magazine and the only print jounrnalist to have won three Science in Society Journalism awards, given by the National Association of Science Writers.

a quote from the inside cover says:

"Gary Taubes uses an impressive combination of rigorous logic and no-nonsense empiricism to thwart medical dogmas, particularly the one about the 'calorie-in, calorie-out' notion that no evidence can dislodge from the mind of medical doctors. This is a true document about scientific method, even a monument in the history of medicine-and something that will change your life." Nassim Nicholas Taleb, author of The Black Swan.

One of my favorite chapter is chapter fourteen, The Mythology of Obesity.

quote:

The trouble with the science of obesity as it has been practiced for the last sixty years is that it begins with the hypothesis- that 'overweight and obesity result from excess calorie consumption and/or inadequate physical activity" as the Surgeon Generals Office recently phrased it- and then tries and fails to explain the evidence and the observations. The hypothesis nonetheless has come to be perceived as indisputable, a fact of life on perhaps the laws of physics, and it's copious contradictions with the actual observations are considered irrelevant to the questions of it's validity. Fat people are fat because the eat too much and exercise too little, and nothing more ultimately need be said.

The more closely we look at the evidence and at obesity itself, the more problematic the science becomes. Lean people will often insist that the secret to their success is eating in moderation, but many fat people insist that they eat no more than the lean- surprising as it seems the evidence backs this up- and yet are fat nonetheless. As the National Academy of Sciences report Diet and Heath phrased it "most studies comparing normal and overweight people suggest that those who are overweight eat fewer calories that those of a normal weight." Researchers and public health officials nonetheless insist that obesity is caused by overreating without attempting to explain how these two notions can be reconciled.

In the chapter he details the ongoing rise in obesity in American society and then uses the Pima Indians as an illustrative case. The Pima have the highest rate of obesity and diabetes in the US and possibly the world. This condition concurrent with reservation life and dietary changes. IN 1845 the surgeon general John Griffin who was traveling with the Army Battalion passing through Pima lands described them as "sprightly" and in "fine health". He noted that they had "the greatest abundance of food, and take care of it well, as we saw many of their storehouses full of pumpkins, melons, corn etc."
He then uses the Sioux and the people of the West Indies and more illustrative cases. Despite arduous activity they get fatter and fatter once "Western" foods are introduced i.e. white flour, sugar, coffee, canned fruit etc.

By the 1950's obesity is rampant. "Hess noted that the Pima diet of the mid 1950's was remarkably consistent from family to family and consisted of 'mainly beans, tortillas, chili peppers and coffee, while oatmeal and eggs are occasionally eaten for breakfast. Meat and vegetables are eaten only once or twice a week." ....Hess concluded that 24 percent of the calories consumed by the Pima were from fat, which is certainly low by modern standards."

hmmmm, gee isn't that what we are all told we should be eating. Isn't that representative of the 'food pyramid'??

In the book he also goes into detail around the role of inflammation and the host of "Western" diseases and makes the dietary link.

It's a good read.

On a personal note, when we have been poorest we have eaten Pima style, with a bit more in the way of vegetables. And I'll tell you I certainly don't lose weight. Even though at the time I was eating ...oh ...I'm sure less than 1000 calories a day.

As has been said, fat does not make fat. I am eating a lot more 'calories' now and losing some weight. This morning I made smoothies with blueberries, peaches and banana and coconut water, raw coconut oil and cod liver oil and flax seeds. It had to be 1000 calories.

I also wanted to add something about flax seed oil. Flax seed oil is a very fragile oil and should never be heated. It should be kept cool and refrigerated as it is prone to rancidity. Good flax seed oil tastes delicious. It does not have a strong taste at all. If anything it reminds me of butter and I frequently pour it on hot cereal and pancakes instead of butter. I also add it to hummus. BTW delicious hummus can be made from chick peas that are simply soaked overnight until slightly sprouted. This increases their digestibility enormously. I have made this for parties and no one can tell the difference, it's very popular.
I am a little concerned that equine flax oil may be rancid or approaching rancidity if it tastes very strong. I remember giving that to my horses and it would frequently be rancid. I finally stopped buying it for my livestock and simply added flax seed meal that I ground myself. ( I kept horses, cows, sheep and goats on pasture following organic methods)

I like the idea of the elimination diet and should probably do one. I have been a proponent of coffee enemas for a long time. It was part of my mom's cancer treatment over 20 years ago. I have a sluggish liver so I should probably get back on track with that too.

The one thing I am really struggling with is the wheat issue.... with kids this just seems really challenging. No crackers, no sandwiches, no pasta. As it is I really limit it and buy organic, sprouted and frequently spelt. But I know my oldest probably has a gluten issue. sigh.... Okay so today I am off to buy some kind of gluten free recipe book. I do use a lot of buckwheat for pancakes and hot cereal. I like the idea of chickpea flour.
So that will be the next thing I try.

Kila said:
As it is I really limit it and buy organic, sprouted and frequently spelt.

Spelt has gluten in it and is related to wheat. Thought I'd mention that, fwiw.

Odyssey said:
Kniall said:
So, how about if I do one quart of coffee over two sessions? Use half, retain 15 mins, expel, then use the second half after a few minutes break or something?

Yes, this is how it's supposed to be done. Of course, I just guesstimate with the amount after it's in the enema bag. I just take half of what's in the bag, hold for up to 15mins, take my time expelling and repeat. I've read in other places that you can rinse with plain water afterwards but I never bother with that.

Yes, that is the way I do it. I guess the time as well and take a book with me to keep me entertained :)

Psyche said:
Yes, that is the way I do it. I guess the time as well and take a book with me to keep me entertained :)

Geez, i just wish i could be able to read also. I just can not read when i do it.

I have to stay quite focused because how can i say it :-[ , the liquid does not want to stay inside.

It is not relax but not at all.

I boiled one cup of water with 3 tablespoons of coffee and after 18 minutes i had two cups of water.

Kila said:
any recommendations on a good gluten free recipe book?

Try "The Best-Ever-Wheat-and-Gluten-Free Baking Book" by Mary Ann and Mace Wenniger. ISBN: 1-59233-131-9. It's not for a candida diet, there are a lot of recipes that contain sugar, but you can do reasonable substitutes and the book is really good just for getting ideas of what to make.

I made muffins last night with buckwheat, brown rice flour, amaranth, milled flax seed, water, olive oil, salt and baking powder; with some cinnamon and stevia on top. It gets easier once you practice at it!

Kila said:
any recommendations on a good gluten free recipe book?

I've got about half a dozen of them that I wouldn't recommend. Hang on for the videos and the book we are putting together.

Re: bread. Quite simply, you can build an entire cuisine around buckwheat flour. We make sandwich breads (little pancakes), wraps, waffles, cakes, muffins, etc, all with buckwheat, water, oil, salt and a little baking powder (or not). I really don't see any reason to try to use other flours. I've tried them all, experimented with trying to make gluten free bread LIKE gluten bread and it's a waste of time. Just pretend you live on a planet where there is no wheat and this is how bread is: you make a batter, do various things with it, can even cook it on a hot stone, and that's what you have. It's a lot faster and easier to work with than wheat based products, too. You just have to give up the idea that it is ever going to REPLICATE wheat products. It isn't. It's different. It's better.

I've got about half a dozen of them that I wouldn't recommend. Hang on for the videos and the book we are putting together.

YEA!!

I was hoping your next book would be a recipe book :D

I have been perusing the recipes here and I'll just stick to those. When I was looking through B&N yesterday at the Gluten free cookbooks there were just so many
with different takes, some seemed to really be heavy on the sugar too, or else I just didn't like what they had to offer, as if Gluten were the only thing we should be eliminating. Anyway.... yea... I"m looking forward to it.

Laura said:
... I really don't see any reason to try to use other flours. I've tried them all, experimented with trying to make gluten free bread LIKE gluten bread and it's a waste of time. ...

Thanks for that comment Laura :D, last month I invested a small fortune in buying different G-F flours to experiment with to make breads and pastry! :) However, I'm still going to persevere with finding a pastry mix that works (external consideration for my aged mother who likes to bake for me!), and something that resembles a bread for packed lunches that i can use whilst out walking. So far, I've had little success with buckwheat crepes, but did OK with Laura's date loaf cake, and have just made a Bara Brith cake bread (Welsh fruit bread), in which i replaced the rice flour with buckwheat whilst still keeping the tapioca flour in the recipe, that was successful, although not as moist as before.

JonnyRadar said:
I made muffins last night with buckwheat, brown rice flour, amaranth, milled flax seed, water, olive oil, salt and baking powder; with some cinnamon and stevia on top. It gets easier once you practice at it!

That sounds good, can you post the receipe? I'm not a cook (hate it, hate it, HATE IT!) but I could probably put something like that together. ;D

I haven't made the date bread cuz I don't like dates, but I may yet... ;)

Trevrizent said:
Hi dugdeep,
to clarify, from one of the recommended big five books on dieting/detox, or it may have been from one or more of the other recommended books, I took the list of foods that other than contribute to weight loss, and posted them. Also, the book specifically quoted foods that are weight losers:
turkey, salmon, sardines, eggs, flaxseed, quinoa, avocado, beets, bok choi, brussel sprouts, carrots, kale, leeks, onions, watercress, lemon water and green tea.

Thanks Trevizent, that clarifies things for me.

Kila said:
A book that really brings these studies into the light of day and the corresponding politics is Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. It is really an entertaining read if a bit dense in places.

Here's a video of Taubes giving a lecture to a group of doctors. In the video, Taubes explains the failings of the calorie model, and more specifically, how wrong our conception is that obesity is caused by eating too much. It's a long video (one hour), but it is quite illuminating and well worth watching.

http://www.dhslides.org/mgr/mgr060509f/f.htm

Laura said:
Yup. And we eat lots of breads, pancakes, gravies (all made with sarrasin/buckwheat), etc. I hit a plateau for awhile, and then the weight started dropping again. As long as I don't eat anything inflammatory, I can eat all I want. (Sugar is inflammatory, by the way, but good fats are not.) I fry my organic bacon, save the fat to pour on my pancakes, sprinkle them with xylitol and cinnamon, and it's a dream breakfast! I make fresh sausages and have sausage sandwiches, have sausage gravy on pancakes, etc. All with Buckwheat flour which does not have the same evil properties that other flours have. It really is amazing and that's why I want to show people how to do some of these things. You really can eat "rich" and delicious food and not worry about it. It just has to be the RIGHT food!

I do limit my rice nowadays since I seem to be affected by the rice lectins. But that won't be true for everyone. But if you are particularly sensitive, Megan, you might be like me in that respect. But you can still eat well and not count calories, the range of foods is just a bit more restricted.

That is good news! While I have observed the connection between my calorie intake and my weight, I could never account for how someone my height could gain weight on less than 2000 calories per day. At the same time, it was hard to believe that literally burning a food in a calorimeter (to measure "calories") was somehow equivalent to what occurs in metabolism.

I have noticed that I am feeling a little better as I eliminate wheat and sugar. I am not 100% there yet, but I am already seeing that sugar and I don't get along well at all. I think that there is something else I need to eliminate, because I tried cutting out wheat and sugar previously and I still had problems. I am hoping that rice proves to be OK, since for now I seem to have replaced wheat with rice. I am looking forward to trying other things like buckwheat (which I think I may have used before in my vegan days). I had been planning to include more sausage, and maybe I will bring back bacon too.

I am not the greatest cook, but I do OK with new things when I have recipes to get me started. Several months ago I returned to preparing all of my food so that I could control the ingredients, and I am buying organic foods and good meats. Now I just have to discover what I can safely eat. And by the way, those "shakes" are really good! And they are faster to prepare in the morning before I leave for work than a regular breakfast is. I can clean up faster too.

There is one other thing about the shakes. For quite some time now I have felt as though my body wasn't ready for cooked food (such as organic eggs and meat) early in the morning. I don't think it is a food sensitivity; I think it has something to do with starting up the digestive system. I feel better in the morning after having a shake. I have been eating my eggs in the late afternoon/early evening instead and I don't have any aftereffects at that time of day.

Laura said:
Again, do NOT count calories! You will find that the more flax seed oil and other good oils you put in your body, the faster the bad fat on your body melts away! It is crazy, but true! Fats and oils do NOT equate to fat on the body unless they are bad fats.

I increased the flax oil and flax seed this morning. I have to be careful because I am taking a medication that can interact with flax, so I am doing it gradually.

By the way, I have been grinding the flax seed in a coffee grinder just before I make the shake, so that it will keep better.

Mrs. Peel said:
Wow, that is a lot of calories! The version of the shake I've been doing (and see quoted in other places) is only two tablespoons of flaxseed and flaxseed oil. Actually I free-pour the oil cause it just sticks to the tablespoon. There are several variations of the shake, so you may want to par down the flaxseeds and oil if calories are a concern...

I have seen several different recipes now. I like the one at the beginning of this topic, with rice milk. I have been measuring the flax oil with a tablespoon, but I do it last so that dry ingredients don't stick to it. I'm going to try the "full strength" shake and see what happens, and I am going to add in the supplements (except vitamin C) which I omitted until I could find out if there were any known interactions with a medication I am taking (there aren't).

There is one other thing about the shakes. For quite some time now I have felt as though my body wasn't ready for cooked food (such as organic eggs and meat) early in the morning. I don't think it is a food sensitivity; I think it has something to do with starting up the digestive system. I feel better in the morning after having a shake. I have been eating my eggs in the late afternoon/early evening instead and I don't have any aftereffects at that time of day.

That is very common. The body is still in a process of detoxing early in the morning and too much cooked food is really a burden on the gastrointestinal track. A meal like that would be better suited for later in the day when the digestive juices are at their peak.
In the old days when people would eat those typical breakfasts of eggs, bacon, biscuits etc. it wasn't something they ate as soon as they woke up. On my family's farm everyone got up at the crack of dawn and did chores, but it was several hours before the big breakfast ...after chores... so it was really something of a brunch even though it took place at 9 am, everyone had been up for 3 or 4 hours and working hard so very hungry.

I can't eat that kind of food first thing in the morning either. A shake is perfect or a bowl of fruit, something lite to 'break' your fast with is ideal.

By the way, I have been grinding the flax seed in a coffee grinder just before I make the shake, so that it will keep better.

I think that is a great idea!! I do that too. Flax seed is so fragile it's best to grind it as we use it. Make sure to pulse your grinder so it doesn't overheat while grinding.

Back
Top Bottom