Ultra Simple Diet

beetlemaniac said:
I was wondering... Is it alright to do this diet, in light of evidence that carbs are bad for you? The USD is relatively carb-heavy, I think.

Also, I live in a tropical country, and no one seems to care much for berries, so it's hard to find them either fresh or frozen. Any other fruit that could
replace them besides pears?

Considering what we have been learning over the past couple of years about diet and health, I'm actually re-thinking the Ultra-simple diet.

When Atriedes came out of the hospital after that long and terrible episode that taught us how damaging vegetables can be to some people (and probably are to others, though not all are as sensitive), he ate mostly veal. He was also able to eat pork, though not too fatty at first. Then we added lamb and later beef. So, it may very well be that the best "elimination" diet would be to have stewed meats/broth several times a day. Such a diet might very well be more detoxifying than anything else since the meat has a complete package of amino acids, pretty much a full complement of vitamins, and you would possibly not even need a bunch of supplements other than a very basic selection.

This is just my thinking at the moment and needs some experimentation.

beetlemaniac said:
I was wondering... Is it alright to do this diet, in light of evidence that carbs are bad for you? The USD is relatively carb-heavy, I think.

Also, I live in a tropical country, and no one seems to care much for berries, so it's hard to find them either fresh or frozen. Any other fruit that could

This morning I had in mind to ask the same question because I will begin with this diet in a few days or weeks. I'm half through the book and it's really eye-opening! But low-carb seems to be a better idea in these times regarding the C's session.

Edit: I overlooked Laura's answer. I think I will start with the USD, experiment with supplements and detox and relocate the main part of the diet to meat after the first weeks. But I still want to try out the "original" (slightly modified) USD and it's effect on me. I hope a few weeks not low/no-carb are okay anyway if it is a well-compiled diet with good supplements, detox, sauna and the rest.

Laura said:
Considering what we have been learning over the past couple of years about diet and health, I'm actually re-thinking the Ultra-simple diet ... This is just my thinking at the moment and needs some experimentation.
I was thinking about that too, when I posted. Because we are doing so much experimenting at present (referring to both what people are posting in the Forum and what we are doing individually) it seems like the modified USD should be "good enough for now." People need a definite guide to doing an elimination diet; otherwise they may not do anything.

My feeling is that the modified USD should be fine for now for the majority of people, if continued for only a limited amount of time as intended. I say that as someone who was affected by a nasty reaction to flaxseed. So it doesn't work as-is for everyone, even in the short term, but I think it is a pretty good guide. I substituted other ingredients, based upon comments I found in the Forum and elsewhere, once I figured out what was causing the problem.

It needs to be made clear, I think, that the modified USD is an elimination diet and that it may not be suitable as a guide for the long term. I know that for me personally it has too much fiber (I am doing better now on a low-fiber diet) and probably too many carbs to stay on it. Perhaps you could post some tentative long-term suggestions about what to do after the USD?

Perhaps the modified USD might work for those people who are just starting, and who normally ate lots of gluten and dairy and processed foods. It could be emphasized that the amount of veggies should never be bigger than the amounts of meats. And the number of carbs can be restricted to between 110 grams and 140 grams for those who are very sick or older for at least 3 months before trying to restrict the carbs even further. Those who are young (younger than 45 years old with no heart disease or other problematic health problems), might want to try already a low carb diet with a maximum of 72 grams of carbs while they're doing the USD.

Stranger said:
beetlemaniac said:

This morning I had in mind to ask the same question because I will begin with this diet in a few days or weeks. I'm half through the book and it's really eye-opening! But low-carb seems to be a better idea in these times regarding the C's session.

Edit: I overlooked Laura's answer. I think I will start with the USD, experiment with supplements and detox and relocate the main part of the diet to meat after the first weeks. But I still want to try out the "original" (slightly modified) USD and it's effect on me. I hope a few weeks not low/no-carb are okay anyway if it is a well-compiled diet with good supplements, detox, sauna and the rest.

One question I have myself, when I remember it correctly it was partially discussed in one session about supplements and switching to a meat-diet (the session before 9th of April), if it is recommended/needed to buy that many supplements? Or would supplements just be needed in a kind of transition phase to stock up the things the body needs most at the moment of switching over to another diet (magnesium, vitamin D3, omega 3)?

Cause the US-diet is also based on many supplements regarding the quizzies.

Legolas said:
One question I have myself, when I remember it correctly it was partially discussed in one session about supplements and switching to a meat-diet (the session before 9th of April), if it is recommended/needed to buy that many supplements? Or would supplements just be needed in a kind of transition phase to stock up the things the body needs most at the moment of switching over to another diet (magnesium, vitamin D3, omega 3)?

Yeah, and the results will always require the intake of numerous supplements, which of course, are ideally bought in his store. It is easier to see what you need from a normal medical history questionnaire, or so it has been my experience.

Then, when you eat plenty of meat and fats, most people can come off from most supplements. When you have enough fat, your cell membranes are healthier and communicate with each other much better. You have enough fat to make hormones and with the meat you have enough amino acids/protein to make neurotransmitters among other things. Meat and eggs have all minerals and vitamins. You're basically have to consider only vitamin C supplementation and possibly magnesium to keep things moving.

Some people might need the help of supplementation during the first few months (or more depending on their health problems), but for most people, I don't think it has to be a long term issue.

Well, then you have the issue of radioactivity (cesium in the meat), then perhaps a month's protocol twice a year of spirulina (or something similar: pectin, chlorella) could be a long term measure. Those living in more exposed areas can consider a daily intake.

Also the heavy metal chelation protocol, which can be done at least once, and then it can be repeated as needed in order to counteract mercury toxicity.

Progesterone cream is also a great thing to do, specially women.

This in general, there will be special cases and special requirements.

Psyche said:
Yeah, and the results will always require the intake of numerous supplements, which of course, are ideally bought in his store. It is easier to see what you need from a normal medical history questionnaire, or so it has been my experience.

Then, when you eat plenty of meat and fats, most people can come off from most supplements. When you have enough fat, your cell membranes are healthier and communicate with each other much better. You have enough fat to make hormones and with the meat you have enough amino acids/protein to make neurotransmitters among other things. Meat and eggs have all minerals and vitamins. You're basically have to consider only vitamin C supplementation and possibly magnesium to keep things moving.

Some people might need the help of supplementation during the first few months (or more depending on their health problems), but for most people, I don't think it has to be a long term issue.

Well, then you have the issue of radioactivity (cesium in the meat), then perhaps a month's protocol twice a year of spirulina (or something similar: pectin, chlorella) could be a long term measure. Those living in more exposed areas can consider a daily intake.

Also the heavy metal chelation protocol, which can be done at least once, and then it can be repeated as needed in order to counteract mercury toxicity.

Not forgetting the coffee enema!

The vegetable broth in USD is, I think, still a good detox aid. I tried it for a few days and noticed a marked increase in sensitivity towards foreign foods. I suppose everyone's mileage may vary, considering things like pectins and their selective nature. More experimentation may be in order for younger and 'healthier' people.

Instead of UltraBroth, we could consider doing the age-old remedy of chicken soup, with organic free-range poultry, especially for older people. From what I see meats act as a biological filter, with much of the harmful substances from creatures and plants on the lower portion of the food chain naturally processed and removed (as long as they ate what they were SUPPOSED to eat), giving us the fats, proteins and nutrients that we need in a compact and high-energy form. Am I correct to say that the only type of carbs we need are 'essential sugars' or glyconutrients?

beetlemaniac said:
Not forgetting the coffee enema!

Yeah, coffee enemas are a handy thing to keep in mind.

When you cut out carbs, there can be an adjustment period before your bowels get normalized. In "Life Without Bread", they report that younger people tend to adjust within 2 weeks. Others might need even months, but the long-term benefits outweighs the initial setbacks. They recommend water enemas in the night, but coffee enemas can be done during the day, keeping in mind that enough magnesium helps to counteract constipation as well.

Coffee enemas can be done for detox purposes as well. I wouldn't recommend them to do them every day, but every two weeks or so. It also depends on the circumstances. There was a period of time, where I did coffee enemas everyday, but after awhile, they were making me feel worse and bloated.

The vegetable broth in USD is, I think, still a good detox aid. I tried it for a few days and noticed a marked increase in sensitivity towards foreign foods. I suppose everyone's mileage may vary, considering things like pectins and their selective nature. More experimentation may be in order for younger and 'healthier' people.

Instead of UltraBroth, we could consider doing the age-old remedy of chicken soup, with organic free-range poultry, especially for older people. From what I see meats act as a biological filter, with much of the harmful substances from creatures and plants on the lower portion of the food chain naturally processed and removed (as long as they ate what they were SUPPOSED to eat), giving us the fats, proteins and nutrients that we need in a compact and high-energy form.

I agree, I think that a meat broth, will be much better and nutritious. Onions and garlic can be added for those who tolerate them. Perhaps also some roots.

Am I correct to say that the only type of carbs we need are 'essential sugars' or glyconutrients?

That is the other thing that was explained in a very amazing way in "Life Without Bread". We can get basically all the nutrients needed from meats and fats, except perhaps of vitamin C. And even then, some animal products have vitamin C. There was an experiment which consisted on a couple going to the hospital for a controlled dietary program that excluded all carbs. After a year, their health was great. They didn't suffered from any nutritional deficiency. There are other details explained in the book, it is certainly a fascinating reading.

Oh my gosh!! I was just planning to post about my diet progress when I read all of the above from Psyche.

Since beginning of this year I have been living on meats and very few veg and occasionally buckwheat pasta.But the buckwheat even isn't always tolerated by my gut so I'm putting that consumption off for a while.

I have also been consuming chicken/beef & veg broths and that's about all.My health is really good and it surprised me for a while that except for vit C I have not taken any more regular supps (except for some DMSO a couple of weeks ago when most of us it seems were a little off colour).

So I was going to ask if anyone else has found little or no need for supplements once they had been through the detox and onto the paleo diet for a while? I find it very interesting to be experiencing/observing this condition and reading about it just as I was about to post this topic.

Legolas said:
...One question I have myself, when I remember it correctly it was partially discussed in one session about supplements and switching to a meat-diet (the session before 9th of April), if it is recommended/needed to buy that many supplements? Or would supplements just be needed in a kind of transition phase to stock up the things the body needs most at the moment of switching over to another diet (magnesium, vitamin D3, omega 3)?

If you took the online quiz on Dr. Hyman's website then you were probably inundated with emails about buying supplements from his online store. Personally, I ignored the messages and stopped the emails. It seemed very irregular to me that he would, on the one hand, run a clinic where he talks with patients, performs tests as needed, and prescribes according to what he finds and that, on the other hand, he would blindly prescribe expensive supplements (that he sells himself) to anyone that he can influence with his books and emails. For that matter, when I go to the store I see rows of shelves crammed with expensive supplements that probably nobody needs to take, and I know that they remain available on the shelves because somebody is buying them. Knowledge protects.

The need for supplements is highly individual. Every body is different. We have had discussions here on the forum about what supplements are most important, and about taking only what is needed. There is no way to make one recommendation that works for everyone. There are, however, a number of books in the recommended reading list that may help in discovering your individual needs, as well as the forum itself.

Psyche said:
Perhaps the modified USD might work for those people who are just starting, and who normally ate lots of gluten and dairy and processed foods. It could be emphasized that the amount of veggies should never be bigger than the amounts of meats. And the number of carbs can be restricted to between 110 grams and 140 grams for those who are very sick or older for at least 3 months before trying to restrict the carbs even further. Those who are young (younger than 45 years old with no heart disease or other problematic health problems), might want to try already a low carb diet with a maximum of 72 grams of carbs while they're doing the USD.
What if people started out just roughly matching the proportion of meats and veggies their bodies are used to? We want people to start feeling a difference soon after they start, but it seems to me (and I may be wrong) that the difference should come mainly from removing sources of food sensitivities and allergies, rather than from switching to an altogether different style of eating. Some people might not want to include meat at all, and they could often still benefit from eliminating nightshades, flour products and gluten, and the like.

What was most important to me about the USD was that it came with very clear instructions. I actually started out, for the first few days, with the Hyman version of the diet, straight from the book, because of the clear instructions. It was not particularly easy for me to undertake the USD, especially with my work schedule, and the suggestions in the book and elsewhere were very helpful. After a few days and becoming clear about what I was doing, I switched to the "modified" USD.

Some thoughts I have, then, are:
  • Make the instructions simple and clear. Checklists are good.
  • Address the issues of people with day jobs.
  • Don't exclude vegetarians. For them, "the amount of veggies should never be bigger than the amounts of meats" means they should not eat at all.
  • Call it something else, such as "the elimination diet." Separate it from Hyman's USD to avoid confusion. "Detox diet" is OK but try to be consistent.
  • Include basic guidance about supplements.
  • Include a preview of a suggested long-term eating strategy will look like, acknowledging that this subject is a work in progress generally as well as something that depends on individual needs.

Psyche said:
Legolas said:

Thanks for the explanation Psyche!

stellar said:
Oh my gosh!! I was just planning to post about my diet progress when I read all of the above from Psyche.

Since beginning of this year I have been living on meats and very few veg and occasionally buckwheat pasta.But the buckwheat even isn't always tolerated by my gut so I'm putting that consumption off for a while.

I have also been consuming chicken/beef & veg broths and that's about all.My health is really good and it surprised me for a while that except for vit C I have not taken any more regular supps (except for some DMSO a couple of weeks ago when most of us it seems were a little off colour).

So I was going to ask if anyone else has found little or no need for supplements once they had been through the detox and onto the paleo diet for a while? I find it very interesting to be experiencing/observing this condition and reading about it just as I was about to post this topic.

We've lately been upping the meat and cutting back on the veggies. One thing that has worked out very well is to use a good homemade stock to slow cook a large chunk of meat. The stock is made from chicken/turkey bones, beef marrow bones, and selected veggies slow cooked for 48 hrs. You can bottle it and freeze a big batch for many meals. We use it for quinoa too. The meat is delicious done this way and the stock/juices are great for pouring over anything - you get the best of the meat and the stock together. And leftovers are always great. When you slow cook the stock, the house smells great for two days - and it seems like folks spirits/mood improves.

On the supps, we tend to keep up with periodic detox since I think this is needed almost continuously today (Mg and Vit C every day). The detox brew I use: spirulina, chlorella, ALA, ALCAR, NAC, selenium, chrome polynicotinate, zinc, gamma E, milk thistle and a multi V.

Megan said:
What if people started out just roughly matching the proportion of meats and veggies their bodies are used to? We want people to start feeling a difference soon after they start, but it seems to me (and I may be wrong) that the difference should come mainly from removing sources of food sensitivities and allergies, rather than from switching to an altogether different style of eating. Some people might not want to include meat at all, and they could often still benefit from eliminating nightshades, flour products and gluten, and the like.

What was most important to me about the USD was that it came with very clear instructions. I actually started out, for the first few days, with the Hyman version of the diet, straight from the book, because of the clear instructions. It was not particularly easy for me to undertake the USD, especially with my work schedule, and the suggestions in the book and elsewhere were very helpful. After a few days and becoming clear about what I was doing, I switched to the "modified" USD.

Yes, that's what I really liked about the USD as well. Without a straightforward protocol, it'll be pretty ambiguous to most new people and probably very intimidating, especially with the amount of research required.

Still, it could be true that by switching to an all-meat diet, we would be able to continue with an elimination diet to discover allergenic reactions. I would still think that for most people, Hyman's diet would be in a sense 'switching into a different style of eating,' just maybe not as radical as going carnivore.

A nutrition re-education would first be needed before starting the new diet, especially for vegetarians, they need to know what they are getting (and not getting) from their foods (not to mention our poison-laden environments). If they don't have accurate knowledge about what they are consuming, there may not be enough motivation to go through the diet. Just like what Mark Hyman does in his book The UltraMind Solution, although he seemed to be against most types of animal fat i.e. he likes to say "lard & Crisco", like they were both the same thing (They would be the same if the lard was hydrogenated). Nonetheless, switching to all-meat may not be affordable or even feasible for some people, since organic meats may not be available everywhere. In my case, the only fully organic meat I can find is chicken.

Megan said:
Some thoughts I have, then, are:
  • Make the instructions simple and clear. Checklists are good.
  • Address the issues of people with day jobs.
  • Don't exclude vegetarians. For them, "the amount of veggies should never be bigger than the amounts of meats" means they should not eat at all.
  • Call it something else, such as "the elimination diet." Separate it from Hyman's USD to avoid confusion. "Detox diet" is OK but try to be consistent.
  • Include basic guidance about supplements.
  • Include a preview of a suggested long-term eating strategy will look like, acknowledging that this subject is a work in progress generally as well as something that depends on individual needs.

Those are some great thoughts, I also felt the same way about day jobs and supplements. I am still trying to find out what type of multivitamin to get! That's why the all-meat diet seems so enticing, I do not really want to rely on supplements all the time.

stellar said:

I have been detoxing for about 9 years now and have mainly eaten only meat, vegetables, and fruits for a couple years now. Since around December I have been eating mainly meats and fruits and only occasionally some vegetables. I have found that my need for supplements has remained constant through this process. I go to a doctor every month and get muscle tested for the supplements that I need. What I found out recently was that I was not digesting my meats very well. That is not good when that is the main source of food! I am now taking quantum glutamine and quantum protease for that issue. I am also taking Super EFF to help with digesting fats. I have some other health issues going on so that may contribute somewhat to the number of supplements I need.

I have been feeling better by limiting the number of carbs that I eat in a day though. I feel much calmer and better able to function.

Back
Top Bottom