Ultra Simple Diet

Megan said:
Lukas said:
I have a question about the last session and vegetables:
Do you eat all homemade products (natural) As at present reintroducet for my body and eat them:
Reintroducing and testing foods is just one consideration for choosing what you eat. If something disagrees with you then don't eat it, but you may not want to eat it even if it doesn't cause a reaction.

I avoid nightshades, generally, because I have arthritis, not because I am sensitive to them, and because there is something about the way they taste that is, so to speak, less than exciting. The same goes for most fruits (I don't care for the taste). Buckwheat tastes great but it is high in fiber and I am on a low fiber diet while my gut recovers from 15 years of fiber overload. I do have buckwheat pancakes occasionally without any adverse effects, but I don't eat them regularly.

How do you "feel" about each food on your list? Do you crave it, or are you not particularly attracted to it? If so, don't eat it -- your body knows quite a lot about these things. Cravings may indicate a deficiency in something else, so look for what it might be.

Yup know this just read my post about "detox summary"
have question because at last session c's was saying that veg. are bad..
and I want to buy some stuff to preparedness - buckwheat but if after last session better is eat only meat not buckwheat I must know it ?

Lukas said:
and I want to buy some stuff to preparedness - buckwheat but if after last session better is eat only meat not buckwheat I must know it ?

I don't think you need to stop eating buckwheat. I am not until it is official that it is not good for you. Just test it on the ultrasimple diet and see if it works for you. You may need to soak the batter in water overnight in the refrigerator if you are making blinis. Perhaps for the buckwheat seeds too. But I think it's a generally good idea to put more meat in your diet if you aren't eating a lot now. FWIW

3D Student said:
Lukas said:

I don't think you need to stop eating buckwheat. I am not until it is official that it is not good for you. Just test it on the ultrasimple diet and see if it works for you. You may need to soak the batter in water overnight in the refrigerator if you are making blinis. Perhaps for the buckwheat seeds too. But I think it's a generally good idea to put more meat in your diet if you aren't eating a lot now. FWIW
I imagine you could survive for a long time on buckwheat, and I would not think that a few grams a day of insoluble fiber would do too much damage to a healthy gut. Suddenly changing your fiber intake can produce surprises, though, and if you were on a mostly meat diet and then switched to a high-fiber, low meat diet you might feel the change.

A 1/4 cup serving of buckwheat flour contains about 6 grams of fiber, which is about 24% of the RDA. I didn't actually make myself sick until I approached 100% the RDA. Depending on how much abuse your gut can stand, you might not feel the effects of a smaller amount (like 6-12 grams a day) for 10 or 20 years or longer (it also depends on age).

Where it matters most is if your gut is already damaged by having a high-fiber diet for a long period of time and especially if you are over 60. Mine is and I am, and I wouldn't personally view buckwheat as a suitable "survival food" because of that. I don't want to make a big deal of it but you can die, eventually, from following the standard medical advice "eat plenty of fiber." That, I guess, is the point where it becomes "official", when you can feel the damage in your own body. It is a "gut feeling" that you don't want to have.

People that are older and/or have been on a high fiber diet for many years might not want to include buckwheat when they do the USD either. From my experience I would say to try to maintain your present fiber intake when starting the USD, and then if your fiber has been high, lower it and increase meat and see what happens. But if you have severe GI disease you may just need to see a doctor before it is too late.

Thank you Laura :)

The Ultra Simple Diet Plan is exactly what I need.

The more simple the better.

Megan said:
Where it matters most is if your gut is already damaged by having a high-fiber diet for a long period of time and especially if you are over 60. Mine is and I am, and I wouldn't personally view buckwheat as a suitable "survival food" because of that. I don't want to make a big deal of it but you can die, eventually, from following the standard medical advice "eat plenty of fiber." That, I guess, is the point where it becomes "official", when you can feel the damage in your own body. It is a "gut feeling" that you don't want to have.

People that are older and/or have been on a high fiber diet for many years might not want to include buckwheat when they do the USD either. From my experience I would say to try to maintain your present fiber intake when starting the USD, and then if your fiber has been high, lower it and increase meat and see what happens. But if you have severe GI disease you may just need to see a doctor before it is too late.

Everyone is individual and their response will be individual. I’m over 60 too, and was when I first started the USD. The key, well for me it was, is to eliminate the ‘bad’ foods as promoted by Hyman, then start on the USD, as well as taking the various detoxing approaches. I checked every item of the USD for sensitivity too. Buckwheat was fine for me. I kept my fibre levels as they were before, as basically I was pretty close to USD apart from some of the grains, hidden sugars and hidden dairy. On the second time round, after a lot more detoxing, doing USD I discovered more sensitivities and discarded, and included, more foods.

On the forum there is plenty of advice for healing the GI tract.

Everyone is individual in their approach. This may help, or not. :)

Legolas said:
Psyche said:
Laura said:
Belibaste has been going to physical therapy every day for the past few weeks (you may recall that he had surgery for stage 3 brain cancer - this left his hand partially paralyzed, so he is re-wiring his brain in therapy to fix this.) Anyway, he found out right away that the therapy center provides awful food only, so he takes his lunch. Also, Psyche has been going to a French course in Toulouse 4 days a week. She also takes her lunch. What they do is just pack some lunch or dinner from the day before in a lunch container (like a flat, covered dish) and take that with a bottle of purified water. Sometimes it's chicken, steak, stew, a couple of burgers in a bed of lettuce, half a sweet potato, meat chunks or slices, etc. It's really not a big deal to cook a little extra to have something to carry for lunch. They also frequently take a bottle of water with 20 grams or so of ascorbic acid and some stevia in it as a refreshing detox drink.

Yeah, in Toulouse days, I have to wake up at 5:30am and I arrive home at 8:00pm. So I take the left-overs of the day before as lunch plus some extra bacon and blinis. The bottle of water with vitamin C is the life-saver. It keeps the inflammation down and boosts up your adrenals.

Thanks for these tips Psyche, especially to mix the water that way I haven't tried yet. But tomorrow I give it a go.

FWIW I really like the taste of the water mixture and so I drink also much more. :)

Legolas said:
...FWIW I really like the taste of the water mixture and so I drink also much more. :)
I really don't like the taste of ascorbic acid, but I found that after 6 months of taking sodium ascorbate (buffered vitamin C) in water I have adjusted to the taste, which is now pretty much like water. I did use Stevia or other sweeteners at first.

The dose needed for sodium ascorbate seems to be higher, at least for me. I am sensitive to ascorbic acid and a few grams will "clean me out," as I accidentally discovered a month or two back when I bought it by mistake and took 5 grams. I seem to be able to tolerate 10 grams (a day) of sodium ascorbate, although I am not taking quite that much.

Megan said:
Legolas said:
...FWIW I really like the taste of the water mixture and so I drink also much more. :)
I really don't like the taste of ascorbic acid, but I found that after 6 months of taking sodium ascorbate (buffered vitamin C) in water I have adjusted to the taste, which is now pretty much like water. I did use Stevia or other sweeteners at first.

The dose needed for sodium ascorbate seems to be higher, at least for me. I am sensitive to ascorbic acid and a few grams will "clean me out," as I accidentally discovered a month or two back when I bought it by mistake and took 5 grams. I seem to be able to tolerate 10 grams (a day) of sodium ascorbate, although I am not taking quite that much.

5 grams of pure ascorbic acid at once will clean most people out.

I love my vitamin C drink - ascorbic acid and stevia in water and have been drinking it for quite a while now. :)

anart said:
Megan said:
Legolas said:

5 grams of pure ascorbic acid at once will clean most people out.

I love my vitamin C drink - ascorbic acid and stevia in water and have been drinking it for quite a while now. :)

I love too vitamine c drink - I'm taking 3gram - 3 times per day.

about Buckwheat - I'm mixing it 1 day potato next day fierd Buckwheat =) and so on max.
I fell great, have lots of energy and good thinking.

Hello,
I'm thinking about starting the USD within the next few days. I keep reading the thread and the plan there and back, trying to work it out for myself, still, I have few questions. First of all, is it ok or not to use olive oil for cooking/frying/baking? I normally use ghee, but it's out in the first week of the diet... Also, would it be good to cook the Ultrabroth with some chicken in it, that way I could just have it as a soup, at least for a few days. Also, the Ultrashake thing, I don't know yet if I'll use it or not, but I recall reading somewhere, that fruit should only be consumed after 4 pm, because of possible blood sugar level fluctuations. Other thing, is xylitol ok during the first week, or not? And would getting some digestive enzymes stop me from possible further weight loss? I've not tried them before, the thing is I can only afford to buy a certain amount of supplements. Could anyone maybe recommend a good, online UK based supplement source, with reasonable prices? I think I'll hit some health stores tomorrow anyway... Weight loss seems to be an issue for some other Forum members, i've noticed while reading the thread. I'm 164 and currently weigh 52 kilos, but I think it might also be psychological, had some issues recently. Other thing still, are hot peppers and green tea out forever? :( Anyway, I think that's it for now. Many thanks to everybody, keep up the good work!

ALIEN1 said:
First of all, is it ok or not to use olive oil for cooking/frying/baking?

Olive oil was recommended only for non heated applications because of its low burn point.

ALIEN1 said:
Other thing, is xylitol ok during the first week, or not?

I recall xylitol and stevia being out for the first week because they will make you have sweet cravings according to the book. But you can reintroduce them after that.

ALIEN1 said:
Other thing still, are hot peppers and green tea out forever?

Peppers, except black are out forever. And a lot of people still drink tea after the first week; green, black, mate, etc. I personally don't drink it, but I have some herbal teas I need to use up.

Thanks a lot 3DStudent! :) Too bad about peppers. I love chilli peppers... BTW, I've found that store today ---> _http://www.auravita.com/ ; I've not ordered anything yet, but they have cheap hemp protein powder, maybe that will be of some use to others. So I take it, no fried foods at all during the first week? It's only one week, should be fine, just need to work it out :)

I was wondering... Is it alright to do this diet, in light of evidence that carbs are bad for you? The USD is relatively carb-heavy, I think.

Also, I live in a tropical country, and no one seems to care much for berries, so it's hard to find them either fresh or frozen. Any other fruit that could
replace them besides pears?

beetlemaniac said:
I was wondering... Is it alright to do this diet, in light of evidence that carbs are bad for you? The USD is relatively carb-heavy, I think.

Also, I live in a tropical country, and no one seems to care much for berries, so it's hard to find them either fresh or frozen. Any other fruit that could
replace them besides pears?
It is important to do an elimination diet, and the modified USD is a good one. It's only meant to last a few weeks, though, before you start reintroducing other foods. It will be carb-heavy if you emphasize the high carb food choices, but you don't need to do that.

You need to be careful with substituting other kinds of fruit, I think, because of the potential for food sensitivities. I wouldn't know what else to recommend.

Back
Top Bottom