What are you listening to?

The Great Gig In The Sky - Pink Floyd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAydj4OJnwQ

i already liked this band , but this song is specially interesting in the context of the wave, from this transcript
Q: (T) Now, you keep referring to the movie, "The Wizard of Oz." You have been saying...
A: 6th density inspired.
Q: (T) You have good filmmakers up there in 6th density. (S) What other movies did they inspire? (T) Before we go off on a sidetrack like that, I'm still trying to grasp something here... okay, you keep referring to the movie, and that we have an ability within us that is something like the Ruby slippers that can take us back to STO any time we wish.
A: Yes.
Q: (T) So, all this stuff we have been talking about, the realm border, the wave, raising the frequencies...
A: Realm wave is the "tornado."
and then came this forum thread Pink Floyd Dark Side of Moon and Wizard of Oz synchronicity
on the tornado part , this is the song that plays...:)

Alejo I think you will enjoy this documentary about the making of "the dark side of the moon" album.
The first part is on _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtj8she1mgg&feature=related
I don't remember in which part they talk about "a great gig in the sky" but they say vocals are total improvisation. Enjoy :)

Snow said:
Currently, the score of Solaris (by Cliff Martinez)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StICDw9aCYQ

I think it's just beautiful...

Yeah it's great, when I first saw Solaris, I really liked the soundtrack and the movie as well.

Alejo I think you will enjoy this documentary about the making of "the dark side of the moon" album.
The first part is on _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtj8she1mgg&feature=related
I don't remember in which part they talk about "a great gig in the sky" but they say vocals are total improvisation. Enjoy Smiley

Thank you Mkrnhr !

Alejo said:
The Great Gig In The Sky - Pink Floyd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAydj4OJnwQ

Clare Torry's wordless vocals on this song put goosebumps on me when I was 19 years old and even now at 48. I just listened to it again due to this post. On the above video, my favorite part starts at time mark 02:31 and goes to 03:36.

76099530.png

Clare Torry, British singer, best known for her soulfully evocative wordless vocals on Pink Floyd's "The Great Gig in the Sky" on the 1973 album The Dark Side of the Moon.

Others:
Lesley Duncan – background vocals
Doris Troy – background vocals
Barry St. John – background vocals
Liza Strike – background vocals

mkrnhr said:
I don't remember in which part they talk about "a great gig in the sky" but they say vocals are total improvisation.

Yeah, they do say that. In the creative stage it was all improvisation, but apparantly Ms. Torry had something wrote down, because in 2004, England's High Court [1] ruled there was enough evidence to prove she co-wrote it. :)

------------------------
[1]

The album's credits include, "Vocals on 'The Great Gig in the Sky' by Clare Torry". In 2004, Torry sued EMI and Pink Floyd for songwriting royalties, claiming that she co-wrote "The Great Gig in the Sky" with keyboardist Richard Wright. She was originally paid £30 for Sunday studio work. The High Court concluded that Torry was correct but the terms of the lawsuit were not disclosed. All post 2005 pressings that include "The Great Gig in the Sky" credit Wright/Torry for the song.
Source:
_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Side_of_the_Moon#Additional_personnel

-edit: My apologies...wrong picture! Corrected now.

Megapode said:
E Muzeki-

"The group's primary instrumental blend includes acoustic guitar with either Gypsy or Celtic violin, or the Greek bouzouki as the melodic lead, and vast array of percussion. Often, however, the musicians will shift voices introducing the indian sitar or sitara, Flamenco guitar, accordion, penny whistle, and rauschphife, creating rich and exuberant musical textures rarely experienced by western ears.

Drawing from Gypsy, Greek, Spanish, and Celtic traditions while not being bound by them, the group has developed a unique and captivating style. Whether playing actual folk repertoire, or one of their original compositions, E Muzeki brings fresh emotion to ancient musical tradition, drawing listeners of all ages and from every walk of life." http://www.emuzeki.com/emuzeki.html
[...]

hey, this group is GOOD! Thanks for the introduction! :)

Buddy said:
Yeah, they do say that. In the creative stage it was all improvisation, but apparantly Ms. Torry had something wrote down, because in 2004, England's High Court [1] ruled there was enough evidence to prove she co-wrote it.

On the Dark Side of the Moon documentary, either Roger Waters or David Gilmore (can't remember which) explains that after Ms. Torry did her first "take", she came out sobbing and apologizing for her "awful" performance. The band disagreed, telling her it was fantastic, and that is the take that you hear on the album, the shrieking screams that give the song such an eerie vibe. Pretty interesting to note that the singer herself was entirely displeased with the way she performed it but that it was actually quite fitting.

Hello all.................and a fine day to everyone...from the movie , Ame'lie, all tracks well done, i find it helps me contemplate, with the tracks by Yann Tiersen, La Noy'ee, Guilty ( grab your partner and slow dance ),La Dispute this track seems to move ones thoughts in into deep retrospect of the current dilemmas facing each of us, to review (if u will ) one of hope, change, and faith. And one track made before my time (physically) Si Tu N'estais Pas La'...........in french ........I never saw the movie but i heard it was the rage, good story, good acting, and great photography!

Currently listening to The Incredible String Band on Pandora.com.

Has anyone else tried this site? It is great. I have been listening to it off and on for a couple of years.

You create your own radio stations based on an artist, band, or song. You will then get to hear some of what you chose and some with similar musical elements. You can "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" any song you do not like. You can build on your station by adding songs and artists. Or, you can create other stations depending on your mood. It is a great way to find great new music and hear old favorites.

I love Pandora, but it only works if your IP comes from inside the US. :(

Breton said:
Megapode said:
E Muzeki-

"The group's primary instrumental blend includes acoustic guitar with either Gypsy or Celtic violin, or the Greek bouzouki as the melodic lead, and vast array of percussion. Often, however, the musicians will shift voices introducing the indian sitar or sitara, Flamenco guitar, accordion, penny whistle, and rauschphife, creating rich and exuberant musical textures rarely experienced by western ears.

Drawing from Gypsy, Greek, Spanish, and Celtic traditions while not being bound by them, the group has developed a unique and captivating style. Whether playing actual folk repertoire, or one of their original compositions, E Muzeki brings fresh emotion to ancient musical tradition, drawing listeners of all ages and from every walk of life." http://www.emuzeki.com/emuzeki.html
[...]

hey, this group is GOOD! Thanks for the introduction! :)

Agreed! Apparently they have moved on to different groups. Mark Varelas has gone to Wine and Alchemy. www.wineandalchemy.com and Jenny O'Connor has formed Elysium with some other people. I can't find a website for Elysium yet.

Hello all.................and a fine day to everyone...from the movie , Ame'lie, all tracks well done, i find it helps me contemplate, with the tracks by Yann Tiersen, La Noy'ee, Guilty ( grab your partner and slow dance ),La Dispute this track seems to move ones thoughts in into deep retrospect of the current dilemmas facing each of us, to review (if u will ) one of hope, change, and faith. And one track made before my time (physically) Si Tu N'estais Pas La'...........in french ........I never saw the movie but i heard it was the rage, good story, good acting, and great photography!
ahh! off course amelie! i agree , it is a great movie with awesome soundtrack i found this little sample here :D

The Scientist - Coldplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3Kd7IGPyeg&feature=related

Come up to meet you, tell you I'm sorry
You don't know how lovely you are

I had to find you
Tell you I need you
Tell you I've set you apart

Tell me your secrets
And ask me your questions
Oh, let's go back to the start

Running in circles
Coming up tails
Heads on the science apart

Nobody said it was easy
It's such a shame for us to part
Nobody said it was easy
No one ever said it would be this hard

Oh take me back to the start

I was just guessing
At numbers and figures
Pulling the puzzles apart

Questions of science
Science and progress
Do not speak as loud as my heart

Oh tell me you love me
Come back and haunt me
Oh and I rush to the start

Running in circles
Chasing our tails
Coming back as we are

Nobody said it was easy
Oh, it's such a shame for us to part
Nobody said it was easy
No one ever said it would be so hard

I’m going back to the start

Oh ooh ooh ooh ooh
Ah ooh ooh ooh ooh
Oh ooh ooh ooh ooh
Oh ooh ooh ooh ooh

Everybody's Changing - Keane

link to mp3

You say you wander your own land
But when I think about it
I don't see how you can
You're aching, you're breaking
And I can see the pain in your eyes
Says everybody's changing
And I don't know why

So little time
Try to understand that I'm
Trying to make a move to stay in the game
I try to stay awake and remember my name
But everybody's changing
And I don't feel the same

You're gone from here
And soon you will disappear
Cause everybody's changing
And I don't feel right

So little time
But everybody's changing

So little time
But everybody's changing

Kate Bush - Lionheart (1978)

Driving back in her car.
Watching the wipers
Squashing the leaves away.
Suddenly there in the road
Is your old self,
Trying to get out of the rain.

I am my enemy
Mowing me over,
And towing the light away.
Somehow it just seems to fit
With that old me,
Trying to get back again.

Imagination sets in.
Then all the voices begin.
Telling you things that arent happening.
(but they nig and they nag, til theyre under your skin.)

(youve really got to)
Remember yourself.
Youve got a full house in your head tonight
(youve got to, youve got to)
Remember yourself.
Stand back and see emotion getting you uptight.

My silly pride
Digging the knife in.
She loves to come for her ride.
Surely by now I should know
I can control
My highs and my lows

By questioning all that I do,
Examining every move,
Trying to get back to the rudiments.
(if they nig and they nag, Ill just put in the boot.)

(youve really got to)
Remember yourself.
Youve got a full house in your head tonight
(youve got to, youve got to)
Remember yourself.
Stand back and see emotion getting you uptight.

Back
Top Bottom