What are your thoughts on having children?

I believe being a parent can be beautiful. You are literally giving all the love you have within you to an innocent being that you love selflessly.

On the other hand, does being a parent have to be the same as giving birth to a child?

I used to read a lot about adoption. Adoptive parents often love their adopted children very much. I would never have refused to let them say that they were, in fact, their children.

But there is another point here that goes a little beyond parentage. Well, I think we choose to have children because we want to love.

However, it is easier for us to love children. These children we give birth to, those children we adopt and raise. It is easier to love them than to love others selflessly, even for the fact that they are there. These children are so innocent that it is easy for us to give them unconditional love.

But what about all those who need our unconditional love and are already adults? And what about all the ideas of science, art, philosophy?

I think that it is not just about the fear that our children will find this cold and empty, unpleasant world. I think the role of love should be emphasized. Some people have a great need to give love to others.

Why do we rave about the biblical story of Jesus? Because he chose to lay down his life for others? But how to give this life to others? That is the question.

What can we, while being here, do, besides working hard, to really give the love we have within us?

Just what to do? To love people as much as possible? And isn't that real parenting when you get it?

When I look at the world, I see one lack of it. Lack of love. People do not love, people are easy to judge and punish easily.

Why is it so hard to love? And how can you create anything great without loving?

Thank you all for sharing your views, it's a real gift to help us in the process we're in and ask the right questions.
Are you married?
The wedding is planned for the First of July 2023.
Believe me, I KNOW how strong it can feel, so I hope that Lys doesn't feel that some of us ladies here can't relate to one extent or another. But I don't want to influence you by saying more. You already know what my personal choice was, and I don't regret it. But for you two it may be different. Nobody says it's easy either way, though.

This is, I think, one of the key aspects. Why the rush? You are still young, unless your plan is to have 7 children. Given all the signs of the times, and the "acceleration" that seems to have started in 2020, AND Starshine's reservations, why not give it one more year, say, and then decide? The last part in Michael B-C's point is also key: making sure that it's not a decision made to fill in an emotional void, but because it's mature, well thought-out, and as conscious as it can be.

I hope the recent silent means you are having important talks and thinking deeply about this. I wish you all the best whatever you decide! We are here if you need any more feedback. And a big FWIW!
This is my take on it also. Think about it long and hard, talk about it as much as you can/need to, from both a practical and emotional pov. However long this process takes, engage in it consciously and deliberately. There should be no oblique comments or innuendo, all should be planned and open on this topic. The reason for all of that is to get both of you to the point where you can jointly come to a definitive decision, a decision where there is little or no chance of there being serious 'second thoughts', recriminations and resentment etc.

Is it possible to engage this type of honest, open, indepth, periodic discussion about the issue such that it brings both of you to a point where you can make a final decision on it and go with and no looking back?

We are certainly not over discussing it all, the silence was also due to the emotional charge being quite heavy. It is dissipating progressively. You summed it up really well, this is precisely what's most important to keep in mind. I don't feel rushed anymore, I just know it is definitely not the right moment. I don't have much more to say for now to be honest, I'm just grateful for all your comments.

My subconscious gave me another meaningful dream the other night. Lys and I were in my company vehicle looking at the river on the embankment when it began to overflow. It was too late to go back on the road. The vehicle got taken in the river and I thought we were going to drown. Hopefully (in the dream), the isothermal truck allowed us to float a little longer than a normal car would have. We were blessed enough to end up on a shore when the river divided in two. We survived, it was a miracle.

We are not ready to be parents materially and financially.
I wanted get rid of this sadness whilst I maintained it and a week ago it was still the only way I could see in order to cope.
It shows how I am not even ready psychologically.

Dear @Lys and @Starshine !

Allow me to share only my little experience and opinion. In no way do I want to violate your free will. This is just another subjective opinion.

Our ancestors (grandparents) had children in a very difficult time. Uncle @Korzik18 was born and grew up in the midst of World War II, and the family literally hid from the Nazis in the swamps of our country. But his family went through all the difficulties and he grew up in love and lived his life helping other people (he was a surgeon and an excellent doctor).

If we consider my personal experience, then when Alena (@Korzik18) and I met and got married, we were not ready financially, but we loved each other very much. I was very afraid to have a son. I was worried and did not know what it was to be a father. We were in a bad financial situation at the time. There was no housing. There was no understanding and confidence in employment and work. But there was an understanding that we do not want to be alone and the longer we postpone the birth of a child, the more difficult it will be for us psychologically in the future. After all, living only together - life proceeds in a different rhythm. Indeed, the two of you can only take care of each other (or parents, friends), but this is completely different than taking care of a child.

The birth of our son was an occasion for me to work more actively on myself and inspired me. Alena supported and helped in everything. For her, the birth of a child was also a very difficult lesson. Great responsibility for another life and physical activity. Such joint work and a common desire formed a different reality for us, it became possible to find our own housing and reach a more or less stable financial situation. I am very happy that we became parents. Of course, now our son is 15 years old and we are already going through other lessons (raising a child is also a hard lesson). But I am very glad that we then made this decision. A child is a lot of happiness and light in life.

I'm sorry, I just shared my own experience and of course, I understand that everyone has different situations and there may be different lessons. I wish you to make your own, right choice for you. And of course, I wish you happiness!

The wedding is planned for the First of July 2023.
This baby decision should be resolved for good before getting married.

We are not ready to be parents materially and financially.
We were not either when we decided to have our first baby. But my wife knew it was time, and we were married, so it was my responsibility as husband to give my wife what she needed. Now with hindsight, I can't imagine not having my children and I would not want to make a different decision.

Dear Lys.
Let me share my story with you on the subject of children.

I have been married for almost 11 years and we don't have children by decision of both of us, I never had such a strong call to be a mom, but I did have this romantic idea of having a child with the man I love.

I always asked myself the question: What is the purpose of having a child? What is motivating my desire to have a baby?

When we got married we moved away from our hometown and I felt sad, lonely, abandoned, without purpose, with an emptiness that I didn't know how to fill.
And I thought if I had a baby I wouldn't be alone, but inside I didn't feel right.

I started to take therapy, to heal my childhood wounds, abandonment, trauma.

I took responsibility for what I was feeling because I blamed a lot of things on my husband and he began to resent me.
Our relationship went through difficult and ugly times, we were angry, resentful.
He wanted one thing and I didn't know what I wanted.

I started studying Art Psychotherapy and doing social service with children in very vulnerable situations, then Family Constellations came to me and everything started to make sense to me.

In Family Constellations it is said that there is not only one way to give life or to be a mother.

Giving life is also doing it through projects, creativity, caring for others, doing good things for your life.

I give therapy and I realized that it is my way of being a mother, my clients are my "children".

Another thing that opened my eyes to not having children was that I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and once in a practice of Family Constellations came a client who was the son of a mother with Arthritis and told how difficult it was for him to grow up with a mother like that, because he had to take care of her, help her and the client could not do his life freely.

I didn't want that for my children, I didn't want them to suffer for me or for them to inherit the disease.

Don't let having a baby be only emotional because the emotion is so intense that it can blind you.
With this I am not saying that your desire to be a mother is not real, but it is true that the emotion can make us not see things clearly.

I am a very emotional woman who has learned to feel emotions without being overpowered by them.

Having said all this, I think it is an opportunity to get to know yourself better, to work on yourself.

Whatever you decide to do, do it consciously, from a sincere, adult and mature love.

I did post early but something came to mind that I didn't add. I always felt that my children were and are great sources of self learning. When they interact with you in anyway, seemingly negative or positive, if you are open, it is like looking in the mirror of your own beliefs. When this happens and you recognize what is going on, it can be very telling of your beliefs and soul changing at times.

@Lys, I can completely relate to how you are feeling. I’m a year older than you and baby fever is real.

Unfortunately/fortunately I succumbed to it. My son is now 18 months, he’s my greatest creation and my greatest source of stress :) I didn’t choose the best partner or time, getting pregnant was sort of a solution to not knowing my purpose and feeling lost in the universe. I certainly know my purpose now but I also brought this person into the world into an environment that wasn’t perfect and to parents who could have been much more prepared.

At the time I got pregnant I was at a job where I was on call 24/7 and doing very stressful work and I had given up my dog the month prior because of my work schedule. In hindsight if I had kept the dog and found better work maybe I would have waited things out/found a better partner/been more prepared or chose not to have children.

I will say, maybe it’s a scapegoat, all I could think about was Dr. Jordan Peterson’s thoughts on having children. He was in my head and I couldn’t help but feel that if I didn’t have any I would be very unhappy later on. Oh well, my life has changed mostly for the better and I wouldn’t take things back.

So, my advice to you is:
1) Don’t get married unless y’all are absolutely on the same page. You don’t want to wake up in five years and wish you had had a baby but now you can’t get pregnant or Starshine still doesn’t want one.
2) Get more dogs. Get a bunch of dogs with big eyes and baby faces (French bulldogs, basset hounds, any hounds really). They will tie you over and take the place of a baby and you won’t feel that longing as much.
3) Take up some hobbies. Find a new career. Babysit for other people. Just keep yourself busy and the dread won’t overtake you.
4) Read the Missing 411 thread and his books if you can. It will really make you rethink having children. After I got into the material I kept thinking, “I can barely keep myself safe how am I supposed to protect my child from this!” If I had read his material earlier I would have made different choices.

If nothing else you could try adoption in a few years if you have the means and still have a burning desire to have a child. I have a few cousins who were adopted from Asian countries as older children and they are the kindest people. There are still so many children without families.

Honestly, I would meditate on it and sleep on it every night until you know what you should do.

Sorry that was a really long answer.

Hugs to you.

We live in a difficult time, facing an uncertain future, so it is natural that something as "banal" as bringing a child into the world becomes such a unsettling and excruciating decision.

One of my relatives had some severe back problems over the weekend -- couldn't move an inch without extreme pain (and still suffers from the same terrible pain, though painkillers [opioid type] are helping a little) and the public health services in the UK being what it is, she still hasn't been seen by a GP. But this relative has two young children ( 7 and 10) and despite her condition, those children still need to be fed, go to school and be helped with their homework and so on and so forth.

When the pain started, she could not move at all due to the pain, and was virtually bedbound. However, the kids still needed to be taken care of. They're well-behaved kids but they're still kids. Her husband is there but works, and I was around, so I could help with preparing their meals and whatever. But the only thing I could think of was "Thanks God, they're not babies". Yet, even though they're not babies, it's still a lot of work, and you're spending a lot of energy that could be used elsewhere. And obviously, children are for the most part kind of oblivious to the struggle of adults.

This situation kind of highlighted a few things to me. If the future holds a quarter of what had been hinted at over the years, food could become scarce, we might be faced with severe violence, plummeting temperatures without the benefit of a heating system, lack of electricity, and much more, but on top of that of all of these hardships, your health could fail you, an injury could render you helpless or severely hindered, but nonetheless, if you have children, because of their inability to take care of themselves, they would still need someone to look after them, toddlers and babies even more so. And there, I'm not factoring in children being themselves sick, which happens all the times, or as someone else mentioned, being special needs (which is unfortunately becoming increasingly common), which in most cases would signify that they would need care for life. Being on your own brings its own share of difficulties. However, your time and energy is your own, and energy that would be spent on taking care of someone else, could be used for rest or distraction or an activity of your own choosing.

Obviously, the future is open to some extent and everybody kind of have their own soul journey, so there could still be a positive outcome, I suppose. Besides, everybody has a different personality, and I think some people due to their personality would be better suited to being parents and are more likely to find joy and pleasure in it compared to others. But it's a big responsibility to shoulder, and it's impossible to say if there'll be a pay off at the end or if you're unwittingly increasing your load of suffering.

Last edited:
So I've read through the whole thread now and I wish to share my current perspective on the matter. Perhaps there can be something of value for Lys and Starshine here as their living situation sounds at least a bit similar to mine (rural). Admittedly I'm living under quite different circumstances than I would assume most peeps on the forum here, tending towards quite a minimalist/"hippie" approach to how we conduct our day-to-day.

So I will start with laying out a simple overview of my living situation to set the backdrop for the environment my kids are growing up in. We live up in a valley, accessible only by 4x4 vehicles or tractors, about 1.5 km from the village we're connected to (population of village between 250-300). We have a loosely defined "community" around us, currently consisting of 6 separate households, total number of kids between all of us is 12, ages ranging from 1 to 8. We live separate lives but when bigger projects or 'transporting endeavors' (materials, animals etc.) are afoot we help each other out. Most of us also receive volunteers so summers especially see a lot of social activity, as we periodically get together for work and socializing. Most of us live within a 1 km radius of each other so we frequently visit each other and the kids play together. We don't necessarily see eye to eye on all aspects of how to raise our kids but two things everyone agrees on are: no vaccines and no school.

Our household is the only one in our community that is not connected to the power grid, as such we have solar panels and a battery to store the energy. We use the electricity for charging power tools, charging phones and computers and keeping lights on. We don't have a fridge or any other bigger appliances. We also don't have running water and fetch water for drinking from a well on our property. Water for washing ourselves and clothes is rainwater that we collect. In winter we heat with a wood burning stove.

As for the original thought behind the thread ("thoughts on having children"), I can definitely get behind both sides of the arguments presented thus far. The way I've lived my life thus far has been what most people would call impulsive or spontaneous. This has led me to make quite a few mistakes along the way, but consequently it has provided me with my biggest lessons also. It's a natural inclination that I have and as long as I'm not endangering someone else, I don't see it as an issue, as it has on multiple occasions forced me to grow and learn at a quick rate. This tendency to spontaneity certainly played a part in the conception of our first-born. As a rule of thumb, I don't regret (to the full extent of the meaning of the word) anything that I've done in my life, as I have always seen everything (even before being exposed to the C's) as learning experiences. That being said though, I should have contemplated the ramifications of the changes a child will bring. Being the spontaneous soul that I am, I've come to adopt a 'thinking on my feet' attitude and always thinking in terms of solutions instead of problems. I rarely dwell on the past and as issues present themselves, I immediately start looking for solutions.

With that in mind, I quickly realized the need for me to grow up as we were expecting our first child, and took many steps in that direction, those steps eventually led us to choose the lifestyle we now are living; keeping the kids outside the reach of the clutches of society, teaching them what we perceive to be the basics of living, aiming towards more self-sufficiency, respecting and experiencing nature and the natural world etc.

Returning again to the why anyone would want kids, outside the obvious biological and bloodline-perpetuating factors, I have to admit I can't give a good answer. As some have mentioned, millions of kids are being born around the world so there's no lack and no danger of humanity not continuing because of there not being enough. As for many of the arguments containing all the "what if" scenarios, I can't really get behind any of them. What if the kid is a special needs kid? What if the kid suffers from some conditions or allergies? What if they will grow up to be a psychopath? What if, what if, what if...? This can be put on the tab of my spontaneous personality but these "what if"s are nothing I generally give credence to. There are a thousand potential what if's happening every day and every moment of our lives. What if the plane I'm to take crashes? What if I'm in a car accident? What if I get food poisoning? I'm completely aware that most people don't engage with the world in the same way I do and like to have a general plan of action for every possible contingency. I'm not saying to live in a bubble of wishful thinking where "everything will be just fine", but this tendency to "what if'ing" ones way through life is something I see drains a lot of energy from people and hinders them from living life to the fullest.

With that in mind, has there ever been a good time to have children throughout history? Haven't we been food for the moon and under 4DSTS control for as long as recorded history and beyond? Might be that we will reach a culmination point in our lifetime but should that mean that we should just stop trying? I can get behind the argument that this precious time should be used to work on oneself as much as possible, but that work could very well involve having children for some of us.
in my own experience you face the programs you were exposed to as a child, you can see yourself acting as your mother with your own child, I think this is most horrible, because then you start to discover your own programs that your parents made of you, well, not only yours, but also your partner's programs about parenting, and in turn if you are still very close to your biological family they will try to teach you how to raise your child. I think this is a difficult part, about observing yourself and do posible to modifying and cutting those programs. But I think you find that out when you're already inside the experience, in my case, I don't think I would have ever realized that if it wasn't for my daughter, at least, not that quick.
As the C's told Laura about choosing a "fast-track" approach to her life, I believe for some (not all) of us, kids will provide that additional push needed on a soul level to have the best possibility of advancing. What my first-born brought me was a transformation of my whole approach to life in a very short time-span. I went from "alcoholic street musician wasting his life in a tourist trap" to "prospective homesteader" in a time-span of less than 2 years. And as for the quote above, there's no clearer mirror to gaze into to discover your own sh*t than raising a kid. I do believe we can also discover our own programs even without having children and it's definitely not a requirement, but I do think that for certain stubborn individuals (me) it can be an invaluable catalyst that motivates and inspires one to Work in earnest.

In the process of the first pregnancy, both by girlfriend and I naturally discussed the topic of the birth itself and how we would go about it. We started researching birth and that of course led us to research vaccines which naturally opened the rabbit-hole of the whole medical industry. Needless to say we learned a lot and ultimately decided on having the birth at home, unassisted. For a more comprehensive understanding of the ins and outs of that experience, you probably should read the "birth-report" my girlfriend wrote on it, but as for my part, I can say it's quite an experience.

After having read The Myth of Sanity I've come to truly appreciate and think differently about our childhood (and adult) traumas. I find it horrible that what we consider a "normal" birth experience is so far removed from the sacred event I believe it could and should be. Imagine emerging from the warmth and safety of the womb only to be greeted by strangers in a sterile unnatural environment, many times being taken into the arms of a doctor, in worst cases even denied access to the mother for prolonged periods of time. Even more so now with the covid-psychosis raging rampant, I've read horror stories of mothers testing positive, not allowed to even spend those crucial first moments (both for baby and mother) bonding with the baby.

Of course I'm not condemning the whole thing, as there definitely are cases where the hospital ends up being a life-saving institution when everything doesn't go well. I'm also not advocating anybody to attempt a free-birth without thoroughly preparing and researching the whole thing. The birth of our second child proceeded in the same way, in the house where we now live; in a location not accessible by an ambulance if things would've gone awry. I can understand some could see this as careless, but in my perspective we rightly exercise our free will to bring our child into the world under the best possible conditions, and we had faith in our capabilities to handle the situation. And the prolonged labor process notwithstanding, everything went by without any complications.

To kind of continue on what people nowadays perceive as "normal" in regards to the child rearing process, as one researches the topic of both birth and infancy, I think it becomes apparent that we have a very skewed perception of what it's 'supposed' to be like. People force their toddlers to sleep in a separate bed and even in a separate room from even before the age of 1. If we give credence to the idea that early infancy shapes our most fundamental beliefs about life itself, we can see how a child that is in worst cases left to cry itself to sleep (as I know many "modern" parents opt to do) will develop some quite disturbing beliefs about what life is all about. The child cries out for the universe to provide it with some comfort and nurture, but the universe (the parents) opt for a kind of "tough love" approach, and I can only imagine the kind of core beliefs this plants in the infants mind.

About how to raise kids in general, I don't claim to know what the actual best approach is. This is something I'm learning every day, and by discussing with the other parents here, and by trial and error, the approach keeps evolving and changing along with by beliefs about it. I think every child is different and there's no universal blueprint on how to do it, but a thing that has gotten stuck in my mind is; that everything we do to the child is in preparation for it to become an independent and autonomous entity, being able to take care of itself. Ideally I would be able to drop my kid at the age of 18 anywhere in the world and have faith that he or she could find their way and take care of themselves. All this while attempting to instill an understanding of STO into them.

A bit on our approach as it is right now; our house is small and we don't have separate rooms, downstairs is our kitchen/living room area and upstairs is the bedroom. We sleep all in the same bed (actually all of the families living in our 'community' do this) and when the kids eventually (hopefully ;)) will express a wish to sleep in their own bed, we will create a solution. Probably somebody would want to make some kind of argument for "attachment" or the like, but I don't really see it like that. We want our kids to always feel that they are safe with us and are accepted for who they are. During the day (especially in summer time) our kids are very independent and can play outside for hours on end, alone or with the neighbors' kids.

When it comes to 'education', we plan to let the children provide the initiative in regards to what they want to learn, and then we will provide material and resources to explore those interests. Our oldest (5 this year) speaks 4 languages and is showing interest for more, helps with gardening when the task is simple enough, asks questions about why people in the city are wearing masks, to which we don't censor anything, and try to present the information in a way a 4 year old can digest it.

I can certainly get behind the more "negative" comments in this thread as well, and I'm definitely not seeing any bright foreseeable future for the world, at least not before things get worse first. The thing is though, that I am in this situation and nothing will change that, so I will continue to try my best to provide a safe environment for them, and for that, at least our geographical location is close to ideal. Would I change the past knowing what I know now? Perhaps, but I'm not equipped to do so, so any regretting and complaining is counterproductive. I can only work with what I have at the moment and try to make the best of it.

My two cents for the time being.

So I've read through the whole thread now and I wish to share my current perspective on the matter. Perhaps there can be something of value for Lys and Starshine here as their living situation sounds at least a bit similar to mine (rural). Admittedly I'm living under quite different circumstances than I would assume most peeps on the forum here, tending towards quite a minimalist/"hippie" approach to how we conduct our day-to-day.

So I will start with laying out a simple overview of my living situation to set the backdrop for the environment my kids are growing up in. We live up in a valley, accessible only by 4x4 vehicles or tractors, about 1.5 km from the village we're connected to (population of village between 250-300). We have a loosely defined "community" around us, currently consisting of 6 separate households, total number of kids between all of us is 12, ages ranging from 1 to 8. We live separate lives but when bigger projects or 'transporting endeavors' (materials, animals etc.) are afoot we help each other out. Most of us also receive volunteers so summers especially see a lot of social activity, as we periodically get together for work and socializing. Most of us live within a 1 km radius of each other so we frequently visit each other and the kids play together. We don't necessarily see eye to eye on all aspects of how to raise our kids but two things everyone agrees on are: no vaccines and no school.

Our household is the only one in our community that is not connected to the power grid, as such we have solar panels and a battery to store the energy. We use the electricity for charging power tools, charging phones and computers and keeping lights on. We don't have a fridge or any other bigger appliances. We also don't have running water and fetch water for drinking from a well on our property. Water for washing ourselves and clothes is rainwater that we collect. In winter we heat with a wood burning stove.

As for the original thought behind the thread ("thoughts on having children"), I can definitely get behind both sides of the arguments presented thus far. The way I've lived my life thus far has been what most people would call impulsive or spontaneous. This has led me to make quite a few mistakes along the way, but consequently it has provided me with my biggest lessons also. It's a natural inclination that I have and as long as I'm not endangering someone else, I don't see it as an issue, as it has on multiple occasions forced me to grow and learn at a quick rate. This tendency to spontaneity certainly played a part in the conception of our first-born. As a rule of thumb, I don't regret (to the full extent of the meaning of the word) anything that I've done in my life, as I have always seen everything (even before being exposed to the C's) as learning experiences. That being said though, I should have contemplated the ramifications of the changes a child will bring. Being the spontaneous soul that I am, I've come to adopt a 'thinking on my feet' attitude and always thinking in terms of solutions instead of problems. I rarely dwell on the past and as issues present themselves, I immediately start looking for solutions.

With that in mind, I quickly realized the need for me to grow up as we were expecting our first child, and took many steps in that direction, those steps eventually led us to choose the lifestyle we now are living; keeping the kids outside the reach of the clutches of society, teaching them what we perceive to be the basics of living, aiming towards more self-sufficiency, respecting and experiencing nature and the natural world etc.

Returning again to the why anyone would want kids, outside the obvious biological and bloodline-perpetuating factors, I have to admit I can't give a good answer. As some have mentioned, millions of kids are being born around the world so there's no lack and no danger of humanity not continuing because of there not being enough. As for many of the arguments containing all the "what if" scenarios, I can't really get behind any of them. What if the kid is a special needs kid? What if the kid suffers from some conditions or allergies? What if they will grow up to be a psychopath? What if, what if, what if...? This can be put on the tab of my spontaneous personality but these "what if"s are nothing I generally give credence to. There are a thousand potential what if's happening every day and every moment of our lives. What if the plane I'm to take crashes? What if I'm in a car accident? What if I get food poisoning? I'm completely aware that most people don't engage with the world in the same way I do and like to have a general plan of action for every possible contingency. I'm not saying to live in a bubble of wishful thinking where "everything will be just fine", but this tendency to "what if'ing" ones way through life is something I see drains a lot of energy from people and hinders them from living life to the fullest.

With that in mind, has there ever been a good time to have children throughout history? Haven't we been food for the moon and under 4DSTS control for as long as recorded history and beyond? Might be that we will reach a culmination point in our lifetime but should that mean that we should just stop trying? I can get behind the argument that this precious time should be used to work on oneself as much as possible, but that work could very well involve having children for some of us.

As the C's told Laura about choosing a "fast-track" approach to her life, I believe for some (not all) of us, kids will provide that additional push needed on a soul level to have the best possibility of advancing. What my first-born brought me was a transformation of my whole approach to life in a very short time-span. I went from "alcoholic street musician wasting his life in a tourist trap" to "prospective homesteader" in a time-span of less than 2 years. And as for the quote above, there's no clearer mirror to gaze into to discover your own sh*t than raising a kid. I do believe we can also discover our own programs even without having children and it's definitely not a requirement, but I do think that for certain stubborn individuals (me) it can be an invaluable catalyst that motivates and inspires one to Work in earnest.

In the process of the first pregnancy, both by girlfriend and I naturally discussed the topic of the birth itself and how we would go about it. We started researching birth and that of course led us to research vaccines which naturally opened the rabbit-hole of the whole medical industry. Needless to say we learned a lot and ultimately decided on having the birth at home, unassisted. For a more comprehensive understanding of the ins and outs of that experience, you probably should read the "birth-report" my girlfriend wrote on it, but as for my part, I can say it's quite an experience.

After having read The Myth of Sanity I've come to truly appreciate and think differently about our childhood (and adult) traumas. I find it horrible that what we consider a "normal" birth experience is so far removed from the sacred event I believe it could and should be. Imagine emerging from the warmth and safety of the womb only to be greeted by strangers in a sterile unnatural environment, many times being taken into the arms of a doctor, in worst cases even denied access to the mother for prolonged periods of time. Even more so now with the covid-psychosis raging rampant, I've read horror stories of mothers testing positive, not allowed to even spend those crucial first moments (both for baby and mother) bonding with the baby.

Of course I'm not condemning the whole thing, as there definitely are cases where the hospital ends up being a life-saving institution when everything doesn't go well. I'm also not advocating anybody to attempt a free-birth without thoroughly preparing and researching the whole thing. The birth of our second child proceeded in the same way, in the house where we now live; in a location not accessible by an ambulance if things would've gone awry. I can understand some could see this as careless, but in my perspective we rightly exercise our free will to bring our child into the world under the best possible conditions, and we had faith in our capabilities to handle the situation. And the prolonged labor process notwithstanding, everything went by without any complications.

To kind of continue on what people nowadays perceive as "normal" in regards to the child rearing process, as one researches the topic of both birth and infancy, I think it becomes apparent that we have a very skewed perception of what it's 'supposed' to be like. People force their toddlers to sleep in a separate bed and even in a separate room from even before the age of 1. If we give credence to the idea that early infancy shapes our most fundamental beliefs about life itself, we can see how a child that is in worst cases left to cry itself to sleep (as I know many "modern" parents opt to do) will develop some quite disturbing beliefs about what life is all about. The child cries out for the universe to provide it with some comfort and nurture, but the universe (the parents) opt for a kind of "tough love" approach, and I can only imagine the kind of core beliefs this plants in the infants mind.

About how to raise kids in general, I don't claim to know what the actual best approach is. This is something I'm learning every day, and by discussing with the other parents here, and by trial and error, the approach keeps evolving and changing along with by beliefs about it. I think every child is different and there's no universal blueprint on how to do it, but a thing that has gotten stuck in my mind is; that everything we do to the child is in preparation for it to become an independent and autonomous entity, being able to take care of itself. Ideally I would be able to drop my kid at the age of 18 anywhere in the world and have faith that he or she could find their way and take care of themselves. All this while attempting to instill an understanding of STO into them.

A bit on our approach as it is right now; our house is small and we don't have separate rooms, downstairs is our kitchen/living room area and upstairs is the bedroom. We sleep all in the same bed (actually all of the families living in our 'community' do this) and when the kids eventually (hopefully ;)) will express a wish to sleep in their own bed, we will create a solution. Probably somebody would want to make some kind of argument for "attachment" or the like, but I don't really see it like that. We want our kids to always feel that they are safe with us and are accepted for who they are. During the day (especially in summer time) our kids are very independent and can play outside for hours on end, alone or with the neighbors' kids.

When it comes to 'education', we plan to let the children provide the initiative in regards to what they want to learn, and then we will provide material and resources to explore those interests. Our oldest (5 this year) speaks 4 languages and is showing interest for more, helps with gardening when the task is simple enough, asks questions about why people in the city are wearing masks, to which we don't censor anything, and try to present the information in a way a 4 year old can digest it.

I can certainly get behind the more "negative" comments in this thread as well, and I'm definitely not seeing any bright foreseeable future for the world, at least not before things get worse first. The thing is though, that I am in this situation and nothing will change that, so I will continue to try my best to provide a safe environment for them, and for that, at least our geographical location is close to ideal. Would I change the past knowing what I know now? Perhaps, but I'm not equipped to do so, so any regretting and complaining is counterproductive. I can only work with what I have at the moment and try to make the best of it.

My two cents for the time being.

I can appreciate your approach to life and unschooling.

The only thing I want to throw in here is birth can be incredibly scary. You’re basically in a trance like state during labor and may not make the best decisions/know what to do…I had the intentions to have a home birth. I picked a midwife who turned out to be lazy, gave poor advice and showed up late - I ended up being transported to the hospital because my son wasn’t just breech but inverted (butt first). He came out blue and was in the NICU for four days because I trusted someone who was “qualified” to provide home birth care… there is a time and place for hospitals! Birth is extremely risky, especially if it is your first child and you don’t know what to expect… The best of intentions can make for poor laid plans. Or wishful thinking. Your situation turned out great but not everyone is that lucky.

Oh I definitely agree @Expedition26 , as I said in my post, I don't advocate anyone just willy-nilly jumping into such an endeavor before giving it a lot of thought. We weighed the pros and cons, read about possible things that could go etc. and ultimately decided that it was what we wanted. For the first birth we also had a midwife within phone calls' reach if we would've needed it.

Back
Top Bottom