What's the weather where you are?

Gawan said:
At the moment it also feels more like autumn than summer in the eastern part of Germany (with temperatures of about 10°C in the morning). July broke also some rain records since 1881 in the south or that it rained in Frankfurt Main in one day for whole August some days ago.

Yes, same here in the Taunus (western Germany) - feels like autumn for the last couple of days. I noticed that even when the sun comes out, it isn't all that warm!

Early this morning at 4:50 CEST I heard a triple overhead boom boom (Upper Bavaria). It was a boom-boom-boom and I did not see a lightning before. It waked me up; but I slept only lightly at the time. I was not the only one. My familiy mentioned a boom or a thunder independently without being asked. I asked if someone saw a lightning but none was seen. It was a sound more dull and and not sharp like normal thunders. It sounded like the Chelyabinsk event but in smaller scale; it had some metalic undertone. No other booms, lightnings, no wind outside and no thunderstorm. Only the triple boom and some gentle rain.

In Midwest US this week, we're supposed to return to hot weather, upper 80's to mid 90's F. :( The cooler weather's been wonderful, I'm not looking forward to the return of heat.

In the south of the UK we have had an unusual summer. It has been alternately clear and sunny and hot, then stormy with heavy rain and a lot of thunder. We have had few simply overcast days, which are generally far more common. I don't remember ever having this frequency of thunder storms within a couple of months!
As the temperature has not varied much from the low to mid 20s C I will be interested by the sudden forecasted cooling.

We're having + 36 C today in the South of Siberia. The temperatures are record high for our region.

Cape Town has been strange with not much of a summer. Winter is definitely in now but still, double rainbow the other day while it was sunny and raining :P Then the strong wind came and blowed for an hour or two. Had 3 days nice hot sunny weather and now in for a week of cold, cloudy and rainy.

Soluna said:
In the south of the UK we have had an unusual summer. It has been alternately clear and sunny and hot, then stormy with heavy rain and a lot of thunder. We have had few simply overcast days, which are generally far more common. I don't remember ever having this frequency of thunder storms within a couple of months!
As the temperature has not varied much from the low to mid 20s C I will be interested by the sudden forecasted cooling.

Sounds like another week or two of the same for the U.K. and possible snow in the highlands for Scotland this weekend.

So much for summer: Snow set to blast Scotland as forecasters warn of 'coldest August spell in a century'
_http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2727734/Wet-cold-bank-holiday-way-forecasters-warn-two-weeks-bad-weather-ahead.html

Monday August 18, 2014

Forecasters have warned that Cumbria and Yorkshire could see the coldest August spell in 95 years
The temperature rose no higher than 8.9C in 1919 and it is expected to dip that low again later this week
Snow is predicted in the mountains of Scotland as a stubborn band of low pressure drags air in from the north
Experts are predicting scattered showers, cool temperatures and windy weather for the next two weeks
MeteoGroup has said there is 'not much to be optimistic about' as the Bank Holiday weather looks 'disappointing'

Bitter Arctic winds could plunge parts of Britain into the coldest spell of August weather for almost a century.

Thermometers are set to plummet as a stubborn band of low pressure drags air in from the north - with two weeks of wet, windy and cold weather on the horizon.

There is even a chance of snow and sleet over the mountains of Scotland as it dips to near freezing overnight.

Government figures show the last time it was this cold in August was in 1919 when the mercury rose no higher than 8.9C for four days in Yorkshire and Cumbria.

Two weeks of wet, windy and cool weather have been predicted, with a disappointing Bank Holiday weekend expected in most of the country.

Forecasters said there is 'not much to be optimistic about' as temperatures look set to remain below average with spells of rain throughout the rest of August.

This comes after Britain endured a battering from Hurricane Bertha with raging gales and torrential rain hurtling through the UK earlier this month.

Temperatures today will reach about 20C, three or four degrees lower than normal for August, and drop again tomorrow.

But winds blowing from the Arctic will make it feel even cooler.

Britain should also brace itself for heavy showers, particularly in the eastern side of the country today, according to the Met Office.

It's too early in the Summer to be thinking of "SNOW."

Winter in August: Montana, Wyoming Brace for Snow, Cold
_http://patriotrising.com/2014/08/22/winter-august-montana-wyoming-brace-snow-cold/

While much of the U.S. will swelter in heat and humidity this weekend, it will feel more like fall, or even winter, for much of Montana and Wyoming.

An unseasonably cold low pressure system is expected to bring below-average temperatures to the northern Rockies through early next week. Temperatures will be up to 35 degrees below average in some locations this weekend. Glacier National Park may not even reach 50 degrees for a high on Saturday.

In fact, low temperatures will drop below freezing in the higher elevations, leading to the chance for the first snow of the season to fall. In West Glacier, Montana, the average date for the first temperature below 32 degrees is Sept. 13, so the cold conditions are about three weeks ahead of schedule.

There is abundant moisture with this system that will bring rain to the region with snow possible in the higher elevations. There will be gusty winds as well. The cold rain will be heavy at times and enhanced by deepening upslope flow on the eastern side of the Rocky Mountains.

Snow accumulations will generally be a few inches or less, and the snow is expected to melt quickly. Up to 5 inches of snow is possible at the highest elevations through Sunday.

Snow levels will lower to near 6,500 feet in Glacier National Park, with light accumulations possible at Logan Pass. The higher peaks of the Big Horn Mountains in Wyoming could see about 3 inches of snow by Sunday.

Snow has occurred in Glacier National Park in August before. The National Park Service says that in 1992 a foot of snow fell in the northeastern section of the park. Snow has fallen even in lower elevations in August. During the 1992 storm Great Falls, Montana, reported 8.3″ of snow, and the coldest high temperature for the month of August was set at 38 degrees on Aug. 22.

This past June a snowstorm delayed the opening of Going-to-the-Sun Road, a main road in Glacier National Park.

Anyone with outdoor or travel plans this weekend in western Montana and Wyoming should be prepared for rapidly changing and winterlike conditions.

There is another chance of snow Monday and Tuesday as another disturbance moves through the region. Cold mornings will continue through Wednesday with frost likely as well. However, temperatures will moderate by late week and drier weather will return.

Coolest Summer On Record In The Midwest
_http://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/2014/08/22/coolest-summer-on-record-in-the-midwest/

Friday August 22, 2014

Ninety-five degree days used to be fairly common in the midwest, but they rarely happen any more. So far this year there have only 23 reported – the lowest on record. In 1936, they had 6,509 90F (35C) readings.

Siberia said:
We're having + 36 C today in the South of Siberia. The temperatures are record high for our region.
That's too hot for Siberia, even if it is at south! ... too hot! is like 97°F!!, I am having a vacation (almost free, it was a gift, and, I really need it!!) in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and we are around 33°C (like 91°F) and I am melting, like Gimpy says, the cooler weather's been wonderful, but I do not like to be in artificial cool/warm weather, I like to breath fresh air, so I avoid being inside, and it had been cloudy, so the sun does not feel that intense, I search for shadows, because I do not like to be under the sun; usually, I do not got tanned, I got burned red. Coconut oil had worked nicely as solar protection.

mabar said:
Siberia said:
That's too hot for Siberia, even if it is at south! ... too hot! is like 97°F!!, I am having a vacation (almost free, it was a gift, and, I really need it!!) in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and we are around 33°C (like 91°F) and I am melting, like Gimpy says, the cooler weather's been wonderful, but I do not like to be in artificial cool/warm weather, I like to breath fresh air, so I avoid being inside, and it had been cloudy, so the sun does not feel that intense, I search for shadows, because I do not like to be under the sun; usually, I do not got tanned, I got burned red. Coconut oil had worked nicely as solar protection.

Yes, it's unusual for us. Today we're having 25°C, tomorrow 27°C, and on Monday 31°C. But I must also notice that in Siberia such hot weather feels okay, because it's only the air that is hot. The land and water are significantly cooler, so it's easy for us to cope with the heat, people here mostly enjoy these sunny days. Because of such difference in the temperatures of the air and water/land, the light wind is constantly blowing, so it feels fine. The winter seems so remote, although it's nearly autumn now.

But I can imagine how hot it feels when it's 33°C in Mexico, must be very hot indeed! But you guys are lucky to have your coconut oil, because it's very hard to find it here, in Siberia. ;)

Here in northern N.S.W., Australia, we have finally received some much needed rain (unfortunately not drought breaking rain). It's been a very mild and dry winter. With Spring just around the corner and more rain forecast for mid next week, everyone here is hoping for a good season, though an average one would be great too.

The forecast wet weather arrived, we've had temps in the upper 80's and 90's F, with a heat index over 100 F all week.

Today its 89 F, with a heat index of 125 F, which is Death Valley hot. The GMO corn and soy beans the farmers planted in the fields around us are creepy. The corn is taller than a man, and it appears healthy until you take a closer look, then it's clear the husks are malformed. I keep expecting to see dinosaurs peek out of it. :evil:

The weather has me flattened, but it doesn't appear as if it will break in the next week. Yuck.

A horrendous thunder storm rolled over Split in late afternoon. Came from west bringing exceptionally strong gusts of wind that dispersed "nano" showers almost like blizzard do with snow. Like high pressure washers on gigantic scale. While i was collecting laundry et al from balcony, the lightning must have stricken somewhere nearby - since i saw hundreds of sparkles emerging on top of my balcony's fence! Oh men - this was close - and women usually survive lightning strike! And i kind of sensed that rain "dust was so charged with electricity - maybe i was under very super cell :wow: Thunder storm persisted for about an hour - far more than usual summer showers - with lightnings flashing constantly in clouds above... Although this seems quite dramatic maybe even unnecessarily emphasized by prosaic angle of this post of mine, i cannot help it - i really had some good time, there on that balcony :oops:

will01 said:
Here in northern N.S.W., Australia, we have finally received some much needed rain (unfortunately not drought breaking rain). It's been a very mild and dry winter. With Spring just around the corner and more rain forecast for mid next week, everyone here is hoping for a good season, though an average one would be great too.

Same here on the Mid-North coast of NSW- it has been raining very heavily at times, started a few days ago and more is set to come. We certainly do need it. I've seen some beautiful rainbows when the sun does try to peek out.

Since mid July, there has been a run on high temperature with very low RH values (lows to 15%). Temperatures hoovered around the mid to high 30's c and even touched into the 40's c. By July 30th the lightning started to roll through (without precipitation) and the fires started raging in the mountains. Multiple strikes on this day produced immediate ignition.

Here is a photo I took on August 2nd. Lightning started booming 180 degrees from this photo and the strikes were interesting in that they concentrated repeatedly in the same sites (equalizing neg/pos). At this point I heard a very large boom behind me and a minute or two passed revealing that the strike had caused this immediate ignition. 10 minutes later a small focused squall rolled in and dumped rain on the spot and it abated.

Anyway, the fires raged until just after the full moon when the weather changed, with mother nature being the ultimate fire fighter. Temps now have gone way down 7c this morning.

Back
Top Bottom