Comet Elenin

Comet Elenin as seen from STEREO-B between August 6th to August 12, 2011 :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNn2fZUMh8c&feature=player_embedded

From Asrto BoB August 20, 2011
http://astrobob.areavoices.com/2011/08/20/cant-get-enough-jupiter-space-station-and-comet-dust/

Next, I want to share two excellent, recent photos taken by astrophotographers Michael Mattiazzo and Terry Lovejoy, both expert observers living in Australia, where Comet Elenin is best seen this month. In Lovejoy’s photo, the comet shows a classic comet form with a teardrop-shaped bright head and skinny tail extending away from the coma opposite the sun. Mattiazzo’s more magnified image captures Elenin’s appearance in a telescope with its bright nuclear region buried inside the fuzzy coma or cometary atmosphere.

Comet Elenin is around 8th magnitude and had been brightening steadily over the past few weeks, however Mattiazzo noticed an apparent drop in brightness of about half a magnitude tonight (Aug. 20) Australia time. Other confirming observations will be needed to determine if the comet is indeed fading.

Whether it fades, stalls or becomes brighter than expected, the important thing to remember about comets is that they’re subject to change. We’re talking about small, fragile bodies composed of ices and dust. When near a big, hot object like the sun, solar heat and light make comets come alive with comae and tails. Depending on a comet’s size, distance from sun and Earth and particulars of its ice and dust content, they can appear bright, faint or change without warning. Over the years, I’ve watched many comets follow expectations, but every now and then, one will unexpectedly fade or become brighter than predictions.

Sometimes the comet body itself, the tiny object buried in all the dust and gas, will break into pieces. If those fragments survive (many don’t), each becomes its own mini-comet that follows in the orbit of the parent. Comet 73P/Schwassmann-Wachmann 3 showed multiple “nuclei” in 1995, 2001 and 2006 and was a blast to observe in amateur telescopes.

While Elenin will probably not provide this kind of drama, its evolution as it swings near the sun will certainly keep amateurs busy and hopefully encourage many new to astronomy to look up.

Wow if he only knew the Truth. :shock: Or maybe he's does and is a disfo. agent

Attachments

• Elenin-panel-Aug19_2011-1024x768.jpg
    Elenin-panel-Aug19_2011-1024x768.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 2
  • C-Schwassmann-wwachmann 4-3-2006.jpg
    C-Schwassmann-wwachmann 4-3-2006.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 1
c.a. said:
Wow if he only knew the Truth. :shock: Or maybe he's does and is a disfo. agent

What truth? From all indications, he's right, comet Elenin will pass by not causing much drama, though traveling through the tail might be 'interesting'. There is a possibility of some sort of electrical interaction, but there's no way to know for sure at this point. Have you bought into the comet hysteria all over the internet, c.a.?

anart said:
What truth?

The comet's debris tail and the out come of the planet passing through and thus the resulting, gems that will be speard taking it's toll on a large portion of the population as i understand it.
anart said:
From all indications, he's right, comet Elenin will pass by not causing much drama, though traveling through the tail might be 'interesting'.

Hi anart, It's a good site, he seems to know his stuff, is well versed, far more educated and experienced in the flied of astronomy i will give him that.

But i would ask, as his recent view indicated that it had faded. a half magnitude, nothing to be concerned but it could the diminished light could be other smaller rocks or boulder's near its core? Given its size of 5x10 kilometers (3x6 miles far from being the biggest snow ball out there), would not still have some gravitational pull, and could it be dragging a few friends with it. Thus this fading could represent and inclusion or oscillation of these element's in its presents, perhaps.

Inferred would be a way to detect this presents or the Doppler effect to detect if it's being pushed and pulled by the sun and its dark star companion.

Could this tugging and pulling (elementry questions ether from electrically or gravitational or both)
Possibly causing it too break apart already, but undetectable as of yet, and still being seen as one mass when it's rellay perhaps many?

An interesting note on his apart, is the comparison to that comet 73 Schwassmann-Wachmann 3 did do just that and disintegrate, but obviously no threat to the planet at that time.

I think anything is probale with companion star already having noticeable major effect on the sun, as well as planet, while also factoring in the the wave, or realm broader crossing.

Would not all laws of Physics change due to these influence's? (The big word Physics, is way over my head, having gotten as far as Algebra in summer school).

anart said:
Have you bought into the comet hysteria all over the internet, c.a.?

No, there really is not much out there that create this dilemma, infact it seeems that its really quite, as far as anthing coming close to what the C's have shared.

But i have been taken with this hysteria in the past (y2k) :headbash: and will admit, it never helped matters in figuring out fact or fiction and problay just made things more worse than they were.

So i understand what you mean and thanks for the mental check. I can appreciate the thought as some of the articles i send in to Sott must leaving some just scratching your heads, say what???????????????? :huh:.

Well what if Nasa has it wrong. What if comets are not dirty balls of ice. Dont think so? Watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RXQJR5SSFk&feature=player_embedded

Mr Walker said:
Well what if Nasa has it wrong. What if comets are not dirty balls of ice. Dont think so? Watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RXQJR5SSFk&feature=player_embedded

Great little video!

Indeed, the Corruption of Science has left a huge gap in our understanding of reality and the cosmos which, unfortunately, allow snake-oil salesmen to come in and sell their wares alongside truly brilliant amateurs who do their homework.

You're all welcome. The dumbing down of Physics is the cause of a lot of our problems. Its a fascinating topic. One that may have been done here. If not I may well do it

h t t p ://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/enterprise-images-of-elenin
Looks like Hoagland is spouting disinfo too, he thinks its a space craft, lol.

The image is blurry and it is much like finding shapes in clouds...

According to Spaceweather.com, Comet Elenin is breaking apart:

"SO MUCH FOR DOOMSDAY: Comet Elenin (C/2010 X1), widely known for inaccurate reports of its threat to Earth, appears to be breaking apart. Observations by amateur astronomer Michael Mattiazzo of Castlemaine, Australia show a rapid dimming and elongation of the comet's nucleus akin to that of Comet LINEAR (C/1999 S4), which also disintegrated when it approached the sun in 2000. Comets are fragile objects, so this development while unexpected comes as no surprise."

Ian said:

"SO MUCH FOR DOOMSDAY: Comet Elenin (C/2010 X1), widely known for inaccurate reports of its threat to Earth, appears to be breaking apart. Observations by amateur astronomer Michael Mattiazzo of Castlemaine, Australia show a rapid dimming and elongation of the comet's nucleus akin to that of Comet LINEAR (C/1999 S4), which also disintegrated when it approached the sun in 2000. Comets are fragile objects, so this development while unexpected comes as no surprise."

If this is true too bad for Hoagland's little green friends who are on board, but maybe NASA would send rescue ships and show the universe how humanist we are.

un chien anadolu said:
Ian said:

If this is true too bad for Hoagland's little green friends who are on board, but maybe NASA would send rescue ships and show the universe how humanist we are.

Maybe it's loosing it's electric charge as it comes closer!

Approximate translation from russian:

August 19, the spacecraft STEREO-B photographed a very interesting event - the interaction of Elenin coma with coronal mass ejections from the Sun. The video shows the dynamics of the cometary tail, squirming under the influence of powerful pressure of solar wind. After a brief increase, the brilliance of the comet began to decline within a few days and reached a level of brightness that the Comet had in early August.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UHnAXgbcEo&feature=player_embedded

Back
Top Bottom