Do-it-yourself liposomal nutrients

fabric said:
... I thought for sure I would hit bowel tolerance but I guess my body needed it since I felt great all day.

I am not sure if with the liposomal formulation there is a "bowel tolerance" at all, as the absorption is one of "fat" only, the vitamin C being "hidden" inside. I have been upping my dose progressively but nothing of that kind has happened.

Has anyone experienced loose stools with lipoC at all?

I'm joining the club! Made my first batch of liposomal vitamin C today. Everything went remarkably well. I soaked the lecithin over night in the fridge, mixed the sodium bicarbonate and ascorbic acid, mixed everything with an electrical whisk, and processed it for ca 18min in the ultrasonic cleaner. I made according to Laura's recipe with 6tblspns of ascorbic acid (1cup water+1cup water/lecithin). The only thing that surprised me was how long it took for the sodium bicarbonate to react with the a.a. After a long wait, and adding incrementally the baking soda, it finally settled. I could still detect some "simmering" but decided it was finished.

I made some calculations using the information on the Now Foods 'vitamin c crystals' container. I'll have to check the weight of 1tblspn of a.a. with the scale, but if the numbers on the container is to be trusted, the result is:

Now Foods/C = 1/2tspn = 2.25g => 1tspn = 4.5g => 1tblspn = 13.5g

6tblspn = 18tspns = 81g in whole mixture (1cup water+1cup lecithin/water)
=> effective liposomal C = 324g

Amount of tspns in whole mixture (2cups) = 96 = 32tblspns.

Effective C/tspn = 324/96 = 3.375g

Whole container (Now Foods) = 227g = 50tbspn => mixture from whole container = 2.77 times => total effective liposomal C from whole container = 2.77*324 = 900g

I don't know if it is my imagination, but after ingesting ca 7g of this stuff today, I feel remarkably energized!

Finally ordered the utrasonic cleaner in stainless steel and have also just about used up the bought liposomal. Thanks for the recipes, some nice examples posted, and will be sure to follow the chemistry exactly.

Aragorn said:
I'm joining the club! Made my first batch of liposomal vitamin C today. Everything went remarkably well. I soaked the lecithin over night in the fridge, mixed the sodium bicarbonate and ascorbic acid, mixed everything with an electrical whisk, and processed it for ca 18min in the ultrasonic cleaner. I made according to Laura's recipe with 6tblspns of ascorbic acid (1cup water+1cup water/lecithin). The only thing that surprised me was how long it took for the sodium bicarbonate to react with the a.a. After a long wait, and adding incrementally the baking soda, it finally settled. I could still detect some "simmering" but decided it was finished.

I made some calculations using the information on the Now Foods 'vitamin c crystals' container. I'll have to check the weight of 1tblspn of a.a. with the scale, but if the numbers on the container is to be trusted, the result is:

Whole container (Now Foods) = 227g = 50tbspn => mixture from whole container = 2.77 times => total effective liposomal C from whole container = 2.77*324 = 900g

I don't know if it is my imagination, but after ingesting ca 7g of this stuff today, I feel remarkably energized!

Thanks for that Aragorn.
Echoing voyageur, reading receipts and adaptations from you all is being very helpful!

My ultrasonic cleaner arrived today. It was relatively cheap, 20 pounds bought on ebay, so I'll see how it performs once the lecithin arrives. I'm thinking that it may take me a bit longer to mix the batch, and hopefully that will be the only drawback.

About feeling energized, well, maybe it isn't your imagination Aragorn. When for some reason I feel somewhat low, Vitamin C tends to perk me up. Today I was feeling particularly out of sorts, have slept very little, worked the whole day, and still have quite a few things ahead of me before I can get myself to bed. After I read your post I decided to try a higher dose of liposomal C that I bought a while back. I took 4 teaspons and am feeling much better!

It really helps to soak the lecithin in the water for at least a few hours, overnight is best.

Aragorn said:
The only thing that surprised me was how long it took for the sodium bicarbonate to react with the a.a. After a long wait, and adding incrementally the baking soda, it finally settled. I could still detect some "simmering" but decided it was finished.

In my first attempt I had this problem because I use warm (not hot) water to dissolve AC and bicarburetted sodium.

In my second round I forgot to use warm water and it took me much longer.

It is likely that the water heat accelerate the neutralization reaction.

Aragorn said:

Hi Aragorn,

I too felt very energized after taking a shot. I was very surprised. By the way, I was trying to do a similar calculation (I'm also using the same as you) and was wondering how did you arrive at the 'effective liposomal C' value. Looks like you multiplied by 4, but where does that value come from? I always thought it was just a percentage so instead of normally absorbing 20% of vitamin C it would be 90% taken liposomally (for example I ended up with 72.9g effective but I must be doing something wrong). I'm trying to figure out how everyone gets these super high values!

One thing that I noted is that as long as I take vitamin C in high doses my vision is noticeably better ... sharper, more in focus, less blurry.

Has anyone noticed this as well?

nicklebleu said:
One thing that I noted is that as long as I take vitamin C in high doses my vision is noticeably better ... sharper, more in focus, less blurry.

Has anyone noticed this as well?

Can't say exactly, sometimes it seems so. However, just last week had my eyes examined again, firsts time since 2010, and they are 20/20 without deviation from my last prescription for reading; not better, not worse.

nicklebleu said:
Has anyone experienced loose stools with lipoC at all?

Yup. And I'm also not feeling any benefits from it at all. Must be my wonky digestive system. :/

I have been taking fabric's first batch of liposomal vitamin C for a week now. I can tolerate the taste of vitamin C much much better with nutty vanilla flavour and actually I am looking forward to taking a tiny shot of it every morning and evening. Although I am not noticing any significant change from taking liposomal vitamin C, I feel pretty good and stable while everyone around me is catching flu and fever etc... :)

Mrs. Peel said:
Yup. And I'm also not feeling any benefits from it at all. Must be my wonky digestive system. :/

Aya said:
I have been taking fabric's first batch of liposomal vitamin C for a week now. I can tolerate the taste of vitamin C much much better with nutty vanilla flavour and actually I am looking forward to taking a tiny shot of it every morning and evening. Although I am not noticing any significant change from taking liposomal vitamin C, I feel pretty good and stable while everyone around me is catching flu and fever etc... :)

I think that this is just how it is taking some supplements; that it's not that we start "feeling better" from their use necessarily, but that they help prevent us feeling worse by helping prevent the onset of disease.

Just started sipping my first batch last week btw, and it seemed to have come out ok. No sooner than that though I remembered that I used to have high iron so I'm going to wait until I get the results of a blood test before starting this up again, if at all.

fabric said:
Aragorn said:

Hi Aragorn,

I too felt very energized after taking a shot. I was very surprised. By the way, I was trying to do a similar calculation (I'm also using the same as you) and was wondering how did you arrive at the 'effective liposomal C' value. Looks like you multiplied by 4, but where does that value come from? I always thought it was just a percentage so instead of normally absorbing 20% of vitamin C it would be 90% taken liposomally (for example I ended up with 72.9g effective but I must be doing something wrong). I'm trying to figure out how everyone gets these super high values!

Ah, the number 4 for the multiplication I took from Laura's calculations earlier in this thread. There's also this article posted by Psyche, where they compare absorption in percentages. According to that, the number would be between 4 and 5, even higher. I haven't yet found any actual studies testing the absorption level, maybe I've missed it/them?

On the other hand Linus Pauling website they say:

_http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminC/vitCform.html
Another formulation of vitamin C, liposomal-encapsulated vitamin C (e.g., Lypo-spheric™ vitamin C) is now commercially available. However, data regarding the bioavailability of liposomal-encapsulated vitamin C are not currently available.

Large-scale, pharmacokinetic studies are needed to determine how the bioavailabilities of these vitamin C formulations compare to that of ascorbic acid.

The utrasonic cleaner arrived early in the post (was told it would be the 26th ETA); so that was great. Went shopping yesterday for ingredients and the first, the lecithin, which the one and only organic food store had, turned out to be not organic. Did not even bother asking what it was based on, because was pretty sure it would be Soy, which likely means GMO. :(

There are other places to check out in a 150 km radius, however, might need to order it in.

Back
Top Bottom