Éiriú-Eolas - Breathing Program

Prodigal Son said:
Windmill Knight, you may like to read 'Self Compassion' by Kristian Neff, (which I'm currently reading) which provides beneficial ways of coping with experiences such as you mentioned in a way that enables learning and being gentle on yourself at the same time. A review of the book was made on SotT back in May 2011.

Thanks PS, I'll add that to the 'To Read' list.

Hey All, I wanted to take the plunge and get certified as a teacher, but I can't seem to find the posts that explained the steps and what I needed to do. I know I need to make a video giving a lecture, but I'm not sure what other steps there were or where I could find them. I do remember seeing a post explaining it but I can't seem to find it.

Anyone have that handy?

Nienna Eluch said:
I don't know if it is available for you, or if it would work for you, but what I found really helped me was oregano oil and olive leaf extract. I used one product one month and the other product the next month. You can find more ways to fight candida
here
which was posted by Psyche.

Thanks for your suggestions, Nienna, I'll definitely look into it and figure out which of these remedies are available to me.

Windmill knight said:
I think that the recent suggested books will help a lot. Although they may confirm that we are at the mercy of our programs, which can be depressing, what I've read so far (Strangers to Ourselves) also speaks about how to counter them through small daily efforts, or discipline, and it is possible and doable to change ourselves. But as NE says, we need to know there will be slips, because we are human, and we all have them. Benjamin Franklin knew it too, but he kept getting back on the saddle with his method, which foresaw the slips.

Yes, I've read the excerpts concerning Benjamin Franklin on the forum already and really like his logical approach. I've also started reading Strangers To Ourselves about a week ago and a few of the cognitive science threads, and must say that despite the confirmation how mechanical we really are, I'm really glad these books were brought up here and I'm looking forward to getting up to speed on them.

Windmill knight said:
The point is that the adaptive unconscious will make its own conclusions about who we are and what we like, which is why I think if we make a mistake we spiral into depression and make more mistakes. Of course the way of correcting that is by little efforts that will give us confidence that we are not terrible people after all, which will build our strength to keep on doing the right thing and provide the unconscious with a self-theory about how we can be good indeed.

This is pretty close to what I've been learning from cognitive behavioural therapy, and really useful, too - as opposed to endless talking and repeated reinforcement of our habitual self-narratives.

Windmill knight said:
Prodigal Son said:
Windmill Knight, you may like to read 'Self Compassion' by Kristian Neff, (which I'm currently reading) which provides beneficial ways of coping with experiences such as you mentioned in a way that enables learning and being gentle on yourself at the same time. A review of the book was made on SotT back in May 2011.

Thanks PS, I'll add that to the 'To Read' list.

Thanks from me, too, Prodigal Son, I've added this to my reading list as well.

Puck said:
Hey All, I wanted to take the plunge and get certified as a teacher, but I can't seem to find the posts that explained the steps and what I needed to do. I know I need to make a video giving a lecture, but I'm not sure what other steps there were or where I could find them. I do remember seeing a post explaining it but I can't seem to find it.

Anyone have that handy?

Hi Puck,

I think this might be the thread you're looking for: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,23685.msg317526.html#msg317526

Ah yeah, I was looking for that thread as well, but I thought there was another one where Laura posted specific instructions on steps we could take to become instructors. #toomanyposts :huh:

Enaid said:
Puck said:

Anyone have that handy?

Hi Puck,

I think this might be the thread you're looking for: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,23685.msg317526.html#msg317526

Puck said:
Ah yeah, I was looking for that thread as well, but I thought there was another one where Laura posted specific instructions on steps we could take to become instructors. #toomanyposts :huh:

Oh, now that you're mentioning it, I think it was announced in that thread that there were EE training workshops planned and we were to send Ailen a PM or email if we wanted to apply. However, those workshops were postponed because of the situation at that time, and that the thread would be updated as to new workshop dates.

hiker said:
If some people have problems breathing through their nose, one reason behind this could be an underdeveloped/ narrow upper jaw (maxilla). As the maxilla is basically the floor of the nasal cavity and airway space, underdevelopment and narrowness in it can cause the airway to be constricted, resulting in impaired nasal breathing.

http://www.westonaprice.org/dentistry/mental-or-dental
<snip>

Sorry for the length of the post and going off topic as well, perhaps the moderators can revise a separate thread if appropriate :)

Actually I think the subject is very pertinent to this thread, and it deserves the space here, since it is about breathing. I read the entire article from Weston Price (I see it's posted on sott too: Is it Mental or is it Dental?) and it has very interesting and important info on the proper diet on the healthy development of body structure and how that affects our breathing patterns, which in effect affect our well-being. So, thank you for posting :)

Windmill knight said:
In my experience, one danger of 'slipping' is spiraling down like this: I did something I don't approve of -> I disappoint myself -> Perhaps I'm not as good as I thought -> In fact I am a terrible person pretending to be good -> Maybe I should at least be honest and not try to be good anymore -> I'll disappoint myself again as there is no point in trying... and so on.

The above sounds so familiar :halo: And it will take time to change this thought loops, no doubt. But with some effort we can maybe change our perceptions (writing exercises, catching the thoughts as they begin and replace them, learning more about the mind operates, and so on).

Along with all the great advice you received, Enaid, I'd like to add this quote that I read in the above mentioned (previous post) article today, and it made me pause and marvel at how I never thought of it this way before. I am sure it speaks to most of us:

When something goes wrong, do we berate ourselves or do we see our troubles as important lessons given to us because we are worthy to receive them?

From here.

I sometimes feel the presence of something malevolent near me when doing meditation and, just now, three stage breathing. It really is quiet frightening. Is there anything I can do about this?

Timey said:
I sometimes feel the presence of something malevolent near me when doing meditation and, just now, three stage breathing. It really is quiet frightening. Is there anything I can do about this?

Hi Timey, you've brought this up in a few threads at this point. Have you take the advice that has already been given to you?

Alana said:
Windmill knight said:
In my experience, one danger of 'slipping' is spiraling down like this: I did something I don't approve of -> I disappoint myself -> Perhaps I'm not as good as I thought -> In fact I am a terrible person pretending to be good -> Maybe I should at least be honest and not try to be good anymore -> I'll disappoint myself again as there is no point in trying... and so on.

The above sounds so familiar :halo: And it will take time to change this thought loops, no doubt. But with some effort we can maybe change our perceptions (writing exercises, catching the thoughts as they begin and replace them, learning more about the mind operates, and so on).

Along with all the great advice you received, Enaid, I'd like to add this quote that I read in the above mentioned (previous post) article today, and it made me pause and marvel at how I never thought of it this way before. I am sure it speaks to most of us:

When something goes wrong, do we berate ourselves or do we see our troubles as important lessons given to us because we are worthy to receive them?

From here.

Ahh, yes, those thought loops do sound familiar (except for why keep trying). And it WILL take time to change them. Then there's also the times you catch / become aware that the efforts you make have mixed motivations, etc. And the whole loop can start again. I find helpful in such cases to try to actively reason, "well I am STS, as we all are, and it can't be any other way." As we all know, we can't get rid of the Predator's Mind all at once. If we could, we probably wouldn't be here, right?

And thanks for that quote. Great reminder and I'll be reading the entire article.

anart said:
Timey said:

Hi Timey, you've brought this up in a few threads at this point. Have you take the advice that has already been given to you?
Sorry, I was very misleading with what I said. It only happened last night after three stage breathing; I seem ok following the advice regarding meditation, although I do get a bit scared still.
Last night everything looked like energy waves and I was tingling all over and I was seeing weird shapes all over the place. I felt extremely vunerable.

Gawan, thanks for your reply re: the Work and children thread. I did do a forum search and didn't find a suitable thread, but I am happy to wait until I reach 50 posts and look at the link you put up.

The more I read, breath, learn and network the more I feel I can contribute to the forum. At the moment I am aware of needing to give alot to myself, but I will post when it may be useful to others, or if I really need to ask for help.

I am starting again with the EE dvd, and working out my own discipline / diet - which is proving very beneficial. When I have done the warriors breath in the past, my children have joined in and loved it! It will be great doing this after doing the exercises, as a family practice, and introduce them to PoTS. :)

Timey said:
Sorry, I was very misleading with what I said. It only happened last night after three stage breathing; I seem ok following the advice regarding meditation, although I do get a bit scared still.
Last night everything looked like energy waves and I was tingling all over and I was seeing weird shapes all over the place. I felt extremely vunerable.

It sounds like you often feel very vulnerable and that you let your imagination run away with you, promoting fear. You would benefit greatly by learning to take control of yourself and your reactions. You appear to feed your own fear rather than taking a pragmatic view of things that would stop the fear cycle.

anart said:
Timey said:

It sounds like you often feel very vulnerable and that you let your imagination run away with you, promoting fear. You would benefit greatly by learning to take control of yourself and your reactions. You appear to feed your own fear rather than taking a pragmatic view of things that would stop the fear cycle.
This is true, I've been scared of "aliens" since I was a kid. I think it is a very deep rooted fear. I did sense something weird around me, and was catch glimpses of shapes just outside my vision. What would be a pragmatic view? To accept the possibility that there may be something lurking around me?

Back
Top Bottom