Hemochromatosis and Autoimmune Conditions

Hello all,

Just an update on my serum ferritin levels, back in April I was having 190 ng/mL, I had been on the ket diet for all of 2013 and since maybe october 2012. I started with the blood donations at the local Red Cross right away, I completed 4 (every 2 months) with the last one a week ago. I just received the results and my levels are at 79.19 ng/mL which is a drop of more than 100 ng/mL! :D

Probably due to the fact that I had the last blood letting session very close to the sampling, but nonetheless it struck me as amazing, this without any chelation of any sort. Although I do want to start with EDTA oral chelation to take away lead (there is a big source of this pollution in my hometown for which I had been exposed since birth - although a preliminary test around 4 years ago didn't show significant levels) and arsenic - also very common in the town I grew up in.

Hi again,

I decided to give EDTA a try as I am concerned with my levels of arsenic, so I bought 500g from a local pharmaceutical company and they gave me this (white powder):

04ibIS2.jpg

After checking the forum and with a doctor I am following this protocol:

1 hour before dinner taking 1 gram (1/4 teaspoon) dissolved in water, then with the dinner I take my mineral supplement to retake back copper, zinc, magnesium and others lost during the chelation.

Yesterday was the first day and I felt a bit dizzy and a bit numb in my arms and legs, the sensation went away after eating. Today I took the EDTA and got the sensation again but with a much lower effect.

Navigator said:
Hi again,

I decided to give EDTA a try as I am concerned with my levels of arsenic, so I bought 500g from a local pharmaceutical company and they gave me this (white powder):

04ibIS2.jpg

1 hour before dinner taking 1 gram (1/4 teaspoon) dissolved in water, then with the dinner I take my mineral supplement to retake back copper, zinc, magnesium and others lost during the chelation.

Yesterday was the first day and I felt a bit dizzy and a bit numb in my arms and legs, the sensation went away after eating. Today I took the EDTA and got the sensation again but with a much lower effect.

I would probbly try to space the EDTA and minerals a bit more - take EDTA in the evening and minerals in the morning - to minimise chelation of minerals that have been ingested as supplement. I know most say that it's better to take them together than to forget and not take them at all, but I think spacing them is even better, if it can be built into one's daily routine.

Finally managed to drive to the city to decant my 3rd 488 ml. for the year. This time, recovered quickly and drove back home. It is now time to get a new iron blood panel taken, yet i've a feeling that this is not going to be easy trying to convince my local physician to do this, as said before, here, the government will not pay for it. My physician said three decants ago, that you are in the correct range, yet clearly their range is a joke. I may have to find an independent lab here or drop into the U.S. and pay a lab there - all rather silly. :rolleyes:

If anyone has an argument that i could use on my local physician to retest, i'm all ears.

nicklebleu said:
Navigator said:
Hi again,

04ibIS2.jpg

I would probbly try to space the EDTA and minerals a bit more - take EDTA in the evening and minerals in the morning - to minimise chelation of minerals that have been ingested as supplement. I know most say that it's better to take them together than to forget and not take them at all, but I think spacing them is even better, if it can be built into one's daily routine.

Thanks, nicklebleu, I ended up doing it just like that for almost 3 weeks. The numbness I felt at the beginning faded away and after that I had no noticeable reactions/sensations. I did notice that urine would smell a bit more intense in the mornings though.

I just wanted to share something. A guy that I work with was having some issues and went to the doctor. His blood work came back, and they said there was a problem with his liver....something on the blood work came back too high. Just last year, through a routine check it was discovered that his blood sugar was super high, and that in fact he is diabetic.

So he had been going back and forth to the doctor, and they were doing test after test, not really knowing what was wrong. His wife did some internet searching and found something on hemochromatosis. I told him about the book, the iron elephant, and loaned it to him.

Well because he read it, he made the doctor test for it, and he is positive for one of the genes for it. He said his ferritin was around 1000.

I was glad that I had that book for him and his wife to read.

Angela said:
I just wanted to share something. A guy that I work with was having some issues and went to the doctor. His blood work came back, and they said there was a problem with his liver....something on the blood work came back too high. Just last year, through a routine check it was discovered that his blood sugar was super high, and that in fact he is diabetic.

So he had been going back and forth to the doctor, and they were doing test after test, not really knowing what was wrong. His wife did some internet searching and found something on hemochromatosis. I told him about the book, the iron elephant, and loaned it to him.

Well because he read it, he made the doctor test for it, and he is positive for one of the genes for it. He said his ferritin was around 1000.

I was glad that I had that book for him and his wife to read.

Good one Angela, that was spot on, exactly as Roberta Crawford would have called it. :)

That sounds like a very good outcome and valuable discovery, Angela. Networking sure does work. Do you know what he did (if anything yet) to bring down his ferritin and what it came down to? At 1000, it is so very dangerous that you'd think they'd be prescribing him phlebotomy immediately for every couple of weeks until it was down to a safe level....

Hi SeekinTruth...When I talked with him yesterday, he said the doctor prescribed some phlebotomies at the rate of one per month. I told him that he should finish reading the Iron Elephant, because1000 is really high and once a month won't be enough. He also said the doctor said his iron level was normal, just his ferritin level was high. I told him that was also covered in the book.

I can only hope that he will finish the book and then get all the help he needs.
indeed, knowledge does protect!

OK, thanks, Angela for the additional info. With ferritin at 1000, a knowledgeable doctor would prescribe even a weekly phlebotomy and check until it came down below 150, but there aren't too many knowledgeable doctors about iron overload, just like anything else.

Angela,

Maybe you can find a nurse who can help you do it at home - it's not that hard to do, as long as you can find the material. In a pinch you can just use a hypodermic needle (size G16 or G14) and attach some tubing to it to discard the blood. You will also need to have a tourniquet applied while drawing blood and pump your fist, otherwise the blood will clot in the tubing. Don't draw more than 400ml per session (for a 70kg person) and make sure you drink plenty of water before and after (at least 2000ml in total). You will know that you've had enough if your urine is clear (not dark yellow).

I would definitely try to speed up the process too. From a ferritin of 1000 I guess that it will take at least a dozen phlebotomies to bring it down to a safe level. I would also try to get a genetic testing for hemochromatosis - if it is positive it would probably make having phlebotomies easier.

With "you" I mean your work mate, of course ...

:)

Hope this helps

Thanks nickelbleu for that information. I doubt that the guy I work with would be willing to do it himself, but is will definitely encourage him to find a doctor that will get him the help he needs. I really encouraged him to read through the whole book, because it does give a lot of information that doctors are lacking.

We will see what happens in the next few days.

Angela said:
Thanks nickelbleu for that information. I doubt that the guy I work with would be willing to do it himself, but is will definitely encourage him to find a doctor that will get him the help he needs. I really encouraged him to read through the whole book, because it does give a lot of information that doctors are lacking.

We will see what happens in the next few days.

Perhaps next time he takes the book with him, plus other printed materials from the web, to show his doctor, and if his doctor is not convinced, it is a good idea to try to find another one. That's what my husband did. At first his doctor was not willing to give him monthly prescriptions for phlebotomies, so he went back armed with information and it worked.

There's also the option of donating blood, and he doesn't need any prescription for that. All he has to do is go to a Blood donation center, sign up and go donate on his own as often as is permissible by the state.

That's a great idea Alana, I will pass that along to him. I hadn't even thought of that! That's why this network is so amazing :)

About iron and artemisinin :

Targeted treatment of cancer with artemisinin and artemisinin-tagged iron-carrying compounds.
Lai H, Sasaki T, Singh NP.

Abstract
Artemisinin is a chemical compound that reacts with iron to form free radicals which can kill cells. Cancer cells require and uptake a large amount of iron to proliferate. They are more susceptible to the cytotoxic effect of artemisinin than normal cells. Cancer cells express a large concentration of cell surface transferrin receptors that facilitate uptake of the plasma iron-carrying protein transferrin via endocytosis. By covalently tagging artemisinin to transferrin, artemisinin could be selectively picked up and concentrated by cancer cells. Futhermore, both artemisinin and iron would be transported into the cell in one package. Once an artemisinin-tagged transferrin molecule is endocytosed, iron is released and reacts with artemisinin moieties tagged to transferrin. Formation of free radicals kills the cancer cell. The authors have found that artemisinin-tagged transferrin is highly selective and potent in killing cancer cells. Thus, artemisinin and artemisinin-tagged iron-carrying compounds could be developed into powerful anticancer drugs.
PMID: 16185154 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Artemisinin
Artemisinin is the active substance extracted from Artemisia annua or sweet wormwood. Artemisinin extract provides approximately 300 times more of the active ingredient than the whole herb itself. Artemisinin is known for its effect on the malaria parasite, Plasmodium, and in recent years has been extensively studied for its use in cancer treatment. Artemisinin has been shown to have anti-proliferative effect on a number of human cancer cell types.

Artemisinin works by destroying cancer cells in the same mechanism of action as it kills the malaria parasite. Both malaria parasites and cancer cells isolate and accumulate iron. Artemisinin is selectively toxic to iron-loaded cells. The iron in our red blood cells is not free but is bonded and therefore our red blood cells are not affected by Artemisinin.

Cancer cells are thirsty for blood to support their fast growing action and therefore take up and accumulate relatively larger amounts of iron than normal cells. Artemisinin has two oxygen atoms which react with the iron in the cancer cells and then form reactive free radicals that kill the cancer cells.

The use of Artemisinin, its pharmacology, dosage and toxicity have been well studied in its application against malaria. It is relatively safe with little side effects even at high dosages of 70mg/kg per day. This makes its oral use fairly effortless.

“Artemisinin may be a most effect method, and certainly one of the easiest, of delivering a knockout oxidative stress to cancer cells.” – Dr. Robert Rowen

Artemisinin continues to be studied actively. The Development Therapeutics Program of the National Cancer Institute, USA has analyzed Artesunate (ART), a semi-synthetic derivative of Artemisinin for its anti-cancer activity in 55 cell lines. ART was most active against leukemia and colon cancer cell lines, least active in non-small cell lung cancer cell lines and intermediate in melanomas, breast, ovarian, prostate, CNS and renal cancer cell lines. Scientists of this study suggest that because of the known low toxicity of ART that it may be a promising new candidate for cancer chemotherapy.

Laboratory studies show that Artemisia inhibits cancer cell proliferation, metastasis and angiogenesis: the development of new blood vessels supplying the tumor in nutrients.

Practical application
Recommended dose: 25 – 90 mg per 100 pounds of patient weight. Artemisinin is taken on an empty stomach with natural fats, once daily before bed (cancer growth is more active during sleep). It is quickly absorbed and reaches its peak concentration in the blood within 40 minutes.

see also _http://www.mwt.net/~drbrewer/canart1.htm

The malaria parasite enters the red blood cells and sequesters iron. The mechanism of action of artemisinin in "zapping" the malaria parasite is through the affinity of artemisinin to iron. The artemisinin compound contains two oxygen atoms hooked together in what is termed an endoperoxide linkage. In the presence of free iron this linkage breaks down, forming very reactive free radicals that cause rapid and extensive damage and death to the parasite.

From Malaria Parasite to Cancer Cells
Dr. Henry Lai, Ph.D., bioengineering research professor at the University of Washington has focused much of his research years working with electromagnetic fields and their effects on biological tissue. One area of his research has been in using electromagnetic fields to treat diseases, such as destroying the malaria parasite through pulsing magnetic fields.

During a phone conversation in 1994, Dr. Lai asked a colleague who had just returned from a malaria seminar what was new in the field. His colleague told him, "Well, there is a new antimalarial called artemisinin. Come over to my office and I'll give you a paper on it." Dr. Lai went over to his office, took the paper, and started reading it on his way back to his own office. Suddenly, the idea of using artemisinin to selectively kill cancer cells "jumped into his mind", as he says. Dr. Lai had made the simple but profound connection to the known fact that all cancer cells sequester iron just as the malaria parasite does.

In order to sequester iron needed for their rapid cell division, cancer cells also have higher percentages of receptors that transport iron (called transferrin receptors) into the cells.

Dr. Lai was aware of the high concentration of transferrin receptors in cancer cells because, at that same time, he was doing research trying to attach small minute magnetic beads to transferrin receptors on cancer cells. They could then be shaken with an oscillating magnetic field. The idea was that with enough shaking, the cancer cell would break apart. He called this the 'shake and break'. With this method, he found he could only kill about 1/3 of the cells in 8 hours.

Breast cancer cells have five to fifteen times as many of these iron-receptors as normal breast cells, and an elevated level of iron is a common finding in breast cancer tissue as well as in other cancer cells. Leukemia cells have the highest concentration of iron, up to 1000 times more iron than normal cells.

Dr. Lai wondered if artemisinin compounds would demonstrate the same free radical damaging cascade in cancer cells as they do to the malaria parasite. Starting in 1994 and later with research funding from the Breast Cancer Fund in San Francisco, Dr. Lai and his colleague, Dr. Narendra Singh, Ph.D., M.D., initiated some test tube studies with cancer cells. Meanwhile, the University of Washington patented his potential cancer treatment.

Test Tube Results with Artemisinin
The breast cancer cell research resulted in a 28% reduction of breast cancer cells treated only with artemisinin, and a staggering 98% decrease in breast cancer cells that were treated with artemisinin and an iron-enhancing molecule, transferrin, within 16 hours. These same treatments had no significant effect on normal human breast cells. This research pointed to the involvement of free iron in the toxic effect of artemisinin toward cancer cells, while basically sparing healthy cells. ("Selective toxicity of dihydroartemisinin and holotransferrin toward human breast cancer cells," Life Sciences 70 {2001) 49-56)

These results become even more potentially important because the breast cancer cells used in the study were radiation resistant, a difficult situation to overcome.

An earlier study with human leukemia cells demonstrated 100% cancer cell destruction in half the time (8 hours) as the breast cancer cells, probably due to the rapid cell division and higher iron concentration of leukemia cells. ("Selective cancer cell cytotoxicity from exposure to dihydroartemisinin and holotransferrin," Cancer Letters 91 {1995} 41-46)

These results were encouraging, but often test tube results do not carry over into animal testing, which was the next step.

The Rat Study
Rats that were implanted with cancer (fibrosarcoma) and given iron (ferrous sulfate) followed by a form of artemisinin (dihydroartemisinin) had a significant reduction in the growth rate of the implanted tumors. There appeared to be no tumor growth reduction in rats that were given either substance alone, iron or artemisinin. The researchers concluded in their abstract that "An artemisinin analog-ferrous salt combination may provide a novel approach for cancer therapy." ("Oral administration of dihydroartemisinin and ferrous sulfate retarded implanted fibrosarcoma growth in the rat," Cancer Letters 98 {1995} 83-87)

Normally, at this point in research, the animal studies would be continued for several years with toxicity studies and further studies proving the efficacy of the protocol. Then small human studies would be started, again determining the toxicity levels and efficacy. This whole process takes years to complete before the general public would have access to this new treatment.

The development of this protocol has taken a different turn though, mainly due to the fact that artemisinin and its derivatives have been available and in use for 30 years, and have generally been considered safe and non-toxic (read toxicity information below). The herb itself has been used by the Chinese for many centuries. Dr. Lai has recognized a new use for a known substance.

Concern about Iron Supplementation
It is well known by physicians specializing in supportive nutritional cancer protocols that iron fuels cancer growth. Originally most physicians becoming aware of these published studies shied away from trying artemisinin if it required concurrent iron supplementation to work.

Dr. Singh says that cancers that have developed (not been implanted) in biological tissue usually have sequestered enough iron so that it is generally not necessary to take supplemental iron for the artemisinin to be effective. Dr. Singh started treating several cancer patients in India without an iron supplement and had observed a positive response.

Once physicians realized they did not have to give their patients iron to potentiate the artemisinin, several physicians started their terminal cancer patients on low doses. As word traveled through the cancer network, many patients who had exhausted all other options also initiated self-treatment with artemisinin. However, the possibility that concurrent intake of an iron supplement may enhance the effectiveness of artemisinin has not been further explored.

Early Success with Canine Osteosarcoma
Treatment with artemisinin was started on a dog with a bone cancer so severe it could not walk across the room. Within five days of treatment the dog was able to walk normally, and X-rays confirmed the disappearance of the tumor. Several dogs with lymphosarcoma had also been treated with artemisinin with an immediate reduction in tumor size. In all these canine cases, an iron supplement was used.

Back
Top Bottom