Hemochromatosis and Autoimmune Conditions

Thanks, jsf, for posting this ... interesting stuff!

I think this might also point to a readon why high iron stores might not be such a good idea overall - if the theory is true that cancer cells are regularly produced but kept in check by an intact immune system, high iron stores might give potential cancer cells a "head start", so to say, to further develop and spread.

But again, this theory is a bit contentious ... FWIW

I found a website in Germany where you can order the phlebotomy supplies for individuals.

_http://www.praxisdienst.com/en/Injection+Infusion/Taking+of+blood+samples/Venesection/

You don't have to be a doctor - there is an option for "non-medical" person in the sign-up thing. I guess quite a few people with hemochromatosis must do their own phlebotomies so there is a demand and supply.

There is much discussed on iron feeding cancer - Roberta Crawford mentions this numerous times, in that iron overload should be sought out if cancer is noticed. Interestingly, can iron be used to do the opposite, kill cancer?

Came across this article on a particular plant that uses iron (which seems to be used as type of Trojan Horse carrier). The plant, artemisinin (Sweet wormwood or “Artemisia Annua"), is claimed to kill cancer cells very quickly. In doing so, it attaches to iron which is drawn into said cells, and like a Trojan Horse, seems to then release artemisinin to do the work on the pathogen cell. This plant is also is used on malaria.

_http://www.getholistichealth.com/39084/amazing-herb-kills-98-of-cancer-cells-in-just-16-hours/

Taking in consideration it is one of the deadliest diseases, scientists constantly try to find a cure and finally put and end to cancer. This herb is one of those cures and it can kill up to 98% of cancer cells in just 16 hours.

Namely, according to the researches published in “Life Science”, artemisinin, a “Sweet wormwood” or “Artemisia Annua” derivative, was used in Chinese medicine and it can kill 98% of lung cancer cells in less than 16 hours.

The herb used by itself reduces lung cancer cells up to 28%, but in combination with iron, “Artemisia Annua” successfully and completely “erases” cancer, and in the experiment this herb had no impact on healthy lung cells.

Artemisinin in past was used as a powerful antimalarial remedy, but now it is proven that this cure is also effective in the fight against cancer.

When scientists added iron while conducting the study, which later attached to lung tissue, especially to cancer infected cells, artemisinine selectively attacked “bad” cells, and left “good” cells untouched.

“In general, our results show that artemisinin stops ‘E2F1′ transcription factor and intervenes in destruction of lung cancer cells, meaning it presents a transcription way according to which artemisinin controls reproductive cancer cell growth”, was stated in the conclusion of the researches conducted in the cancer laboratory at the University of California.

Iron deposits in cancer cells with special receptors which help in cell division. Normal cells also have these receptors, but cancer cells have them in larger amounts and according to this, cancer cells can be target combination of iron and artemisinin.

There are numerous experiments conducted so far and they all prove that in combination with iron, artemisinin can effectively destroy cancer, and this extract was used in China for thousands of years, as a cure for malaria.

Malaria parasite can not survive in the presence of artemisinine, because it is rich in iron, and bio-engineers Henry Lai and Narendra Singh from the University of Washington were the first scientists to discover this.

Their research proved that cancer cells undergo an apoptosis, or self-destruction, and until this moment it was difficult to get the extract for more acceptable prices, but people show more and more interest in this herb, so the prices could get lower.

French medicine producer, “Sanofi”, announced that they expect production of 50 to 60 tones artemisinin every year, hoping that it will satisfy the needs of the world market.

voyageur said:
Came across this article on a particular plant that uses iron (which seems to be used as type of Trojan Horse carrier). The plant, artemisinin (Sweet wormwood or “Artemisia Annua"), is claimed to kill cancer cells very quickly. In doing so, it attaches to iron which is drawn into said cells, and like a Trojan Horse, seems to then release artemisinin to do the work on the pathogen cell. This plant is also is used on malaria.

_http://www.getholistichealth.com/39084/amazing-herb-kills-98-of-cancer-cells-in-just-16-hours/

Interesting stuff, which doesn't need to be contradictive.

Maybe it's a bit like the vitamin C issue in cancer. All cells need vitamin C for correct function. Vit C is "imported" into the cell via the same carrier mechanism as glucose (the cancer metabolism strictly relies on fermentation of glucose, unlike other cells that are able to use fats) - that's why a ketogenic diet is thought to starve cancer. However in high doses vit C becomes toxic to the cell (antioxidents are prooxidents when the balance is not maintained). So when you ingest high doses of vitamin C in a cancer situation you "stuff" th e cancer cells full of vit C which they are unable to metabolise (unlike healthy cells), so they die.

As we have learned, iron is essential for cell metabolism, but if present in high concentrations it becomes detrimental. Maybe in a cancer situation "stuffing" the cancer cell with iron has the same effect.

I myself would be cautious to try that "at home" if I had cancer, my preferred route still would be high-dose liposomal vitamin C (or even better high-dose intravenous vitamin C), selenium, zinc and maybe some herbs.

Thanks for sharing, voyageur. Quite interesting, indeed. I've read over the years that Artemisia plants are easy to grow in general (not sure about Artemisia Annua/Sweet Wormwood in particular - usually they're very bitter). So maybe people can grow it themselves, and it's good to have on hand as it's also a powerful anti-parasite herb.

Hi,
sweet wormwood is recommended by Chinese Medicine as helpful in "true heat" conditions , such as stomach heat which produces mouth ulcers (aphta) and incessant hunger. Maybe the internal heat is related to oxidative stress, as in the case of cancer and other autoimmune diseases.
Just a thought
Joy

http://www.huldaclarkzappers.com/?page_id=143
http://www.drugs.com/npp/sweet-wormwood.html

SeekinTruth said:
Thanks for sharing, voyageur. Quite interesting, indeed. I've read over the years that Artemisia plants are easy to grow in general (not sure about Artemisia Annua/Sweet Wormwood in particular - usually they're very bitter). So maybe people can grow it themselves, and it's good to have on hand as it's also a powerful anti-parasite herb.

We usually use the other Artemisia (Artemisia absinthium) here for parasites and all sorts of stomach problems. It is a very good herb for stomach related problems, but it should be taken with care since it can be toxic in large quantities (just like many other bitter herbs, they're usually good for the stomach and anti-parasites, but should be taken with caution. They generally lower the blood pressure too so one can feel dizzy after using them). Just a bit of it for a litre of boiling water and it already makes a very bitter tea but it helps a lot with strong digestive problems. People also use it to lower the cholesterol levels here and women swear that it reduces varicose veins :P

Fwiw... :)

A couple of weeks ago, I went for a routine blood donation, which I had been doing every 3 months for more than a year. This time, I wasn't able to donate because my haemoglobin count was too low (124 vs threadshold of 130). I was then tested for ferritin. The result was 42 ug/L, down from 108 a year ago.

The drop in ferritin level is interesting and unexpected because I didn't do anything special other than regular blood donation and some martial arts training. It is mentioned somewhere in this thread that physical activity that involves pounding of the body against a hard surface (the article listed running as an example) can substantially reduce the iron amount in the body. I guess that played a part in my case.

Just for interest, The Canadian Hemochromatosis Society, located in Richmond BC (founded 1980), has its May 1-31 HHC Awareness Month. Wish I had found these folks before - good website here with testing links for the condition. _http://www.toomuchiron.ca/about/history/

In the section titled "Growing Recognition", thought this next bit was very encouraging:

In a letter to the founder of the CHS, Professor Clement Finch of Seattle – a world-renowned authority on iron overload – writes: “Your society is doing a remarkable job in educating people and physicians about a disease I have been interested in for many years…. Our ultimate goal should be the institution of Transferrin Saturation and Ferritin Tests in routine screening profiles. Since the genetic disorder gives no clue as to its presence for many years, the only way we can diagnose the disorder (unless a member of the family has already been diagnosed) before damage is done, is to include these tests in the standard blood profile done on all individuals having blood tests. Perhaps your efforts will ultimately lead to this.”

Here are my results after 4 blood donations and 5 rounds with EDTA:

2013-04-15

TIBC 55
Iron 16
Saturation 29,1
Ferritin 223,97

2014-05-02

TIBC 77,9
Iron 18,3
Saturation 23,5
Ferritin 54,25 :dance:

It's hard to say becouse I was (and I am) in good condition. For sure now I'm proud of myself and glad to see such a good results. The Work works!

That's great news, Darek, as every little bit above a Ferritin of 150 raises serious health risks of many kinds.

I not sure if I should be donating blood anymore, or at least for a while. Back in early April of 2013, I took a blood test which showed my ferritin level at 286.4 (this was about two weeks after donating blood). Since then, I've been donating blood every two months, and my ferritin levels have decreased dramatically. My last donation was on February 27, 2014. This time I felt physically weak, (especially in my legs), for about two weeks. I went for another blood test in mid March and my ferritin level was at 31.

I have to wonder if my high ferritin levels was because of inflammation, and not because of high iron levels. I quit alcohol completely in January 2013, and I suspect that my high ferritin levels was due to inflammation caused by my abuse of alcohol over the years. Or, maybe it was a combination of both, inflammation and high iron?

Back
Top Bottom