High Dose Melatonin Therapy

Yes, I saw this chart, but it starts at the age of 40, so I ask for those younger (20-40)

Read my summary of the book "Melatonin: Breakthrough Discoveries That Can Help You Combat Aging, Boost Your Immune System, Reduce Your Risk of Cancer and Heart Disease, Get a Better Night's Sleep" by Russel Reiter starting here:

You might need different doses depending on context and your individual reaction.

Melatonin usually has a short life of 30 to 40 minutes. The decline in melatonin levels in your bloodstream will cause your temperature to rise, which your body interprets as a wake-up signal. People who take relatively high doses (10mg), are able to sustain elevated melatonin levels through the night. Others, take a smaller dose of melatonin if they wake up in the middle of the night. Another option is to take a time released melatonin. Nevertheless, the doses that Reiter recommends for people who choose to take melatonin (based on 90s research) are:

Sleep 0.2-10mg
Jet lag 1-10mg
Anti-ageing 0.1-3mg
Shift work 1-5mg
Immune stimulation 2-20mg

The doses that Laura suggested from the other book, looked better. But keep in mind that if there's a virus flying around, you can take 2-20mg to help you fight it off.

Hi! I would like to know whether is recommended to give melatonin to small children. I have a 2 year old that never slept great, but with this lock down we have been experiencing for the past 12 days, he sleeps very poorly. I thinks that it is a very stressful situation for him not being aloud to play outside(we live in a flat). Does anybody have any experience with the melatonin or other remedy,maybe homeopathic? Thank you

Hi! I would like to know whether is recommended to give melatonin to small children. I have a 2 year old that never slept great, but with this lock down we have been experiencing for the past 12 days, he sleeps very poorly. I thinks that it is a very stressful situation for him not being aloud to play outside(we live in a flat). Does anybody have any experience with the melatonin or other remedy,maybe homeopathic? Thank you
I would be very careful with doing it since children in this age usually have much higher levels of melatonin produced in the body than adults. Going outside might be a solution and he doesn't have to play with other children outside if it's not allowed in you region.

We are not aloud to take our son outside. Spain has the worst restrictions...dogs can go out, but children not...

Melatonin has been used in kids, only like Altair said, they should have higher levels than the average normal already. Make sure he's not been exposed to screens too much, especially in the evening and at nights. There are homeopathic remedies for children as well. If you try melatonin, I would start with half a milligram for a few nights and see if that helps reset his inner clock.

Another thing is to get a red bulb (red light spectrum), like the ones that physiotherapists use. If he gets exposed to that light for 10 minutes or so in the morning, he should have healthier levels of melatonin at night. It substitutes the red light spectrum that he should be getting from the sun.

Melatonin has been used in kids, only like Altair said, they should have higher levels than the average normal already. Make sure he's not been exposed to screens too much, especially in the evening and at nights. There are homeopathic remedies for children as well. If you try melatonin, I would start with half a milligram for a few nights and see if that helps reset his inner clock.

Another thing is to get a red bulb (red light spectrum), like the ones that physiotherapists use. If he gets exposed to that light for 10 minutes or so in the morning, he should have healthier levels of melatonin at night. It substitutes the red light spectrum that he should be getting from the sun.
Thank you, Gaby. He has very little contact with any screens(communicating with family only). I bought a infrared lamp one month ago, but I didn't dare to use it with him. 100 w Beurer il11. Is this similar to what you recommend?

I dont know if anybody has said this except the Cs in this thread but I can confirm that regular use of Melatonin (3mg before sleep) does indeed raise ones psychic abilities! Ive been using it for 2months and I can feel it with no problem.

Ive tried 6mg dose a couple of times and my sleep was somewhat disturbed so I think I will stick with 3mg dose.

Regards

Agron

I've been taking 1.5mg timed release melatonin for maybe over two months now, since I saw this thread. I noticed that lately, I will get groggy and tired the next day, even with about 7 hours of sleep. Not fun or productive, so I think I need to devote at least 7.5 hours of sleep if I'm going to take it. Maybe my body has adjusted enough. I was kind of using it to cheat getting by with little sleep, but that's not going to work any more. I don't like dozing off so much while reading.

Hey all.
Im almost at the end of 3rd month of taking 3mg melatonin before sleep. I am now having days where I go to sleep much easier so I sometimes forget to take it. Does it mean my own melatonin production has kicked in and is now working? Should I maybe stop using it for awhile? I read that its good to stop it once you re-start your own production? I didnt take it one day and had more peacefull sleep. The day after when I took it I had a weird night and had to get up 2 times for throat clearing.
One of the reasons I started on it was that I had trouble going to sleep... Any thoughts are welcome.

Hey all.
Im almost at the end of 3rd month of taking 3mg melatonin before sleep. I am now having days where I go to sleep much easier so I sometimes forget to take it. Does it mean my own melatonin production has kicked in and is now working? Should I maybe stop using it for awhile? I read that its good to stop it once you re-start your own production? I didnt take it one day and had more peacefull sleep. The day after when I took it I had a weird night and had to get up 2 times for throat clearing.
One of the reasons I started on it was that I had trouble going to sleep... Any thoughts are welcome.

If you go to sleep okay and feel fine next morning, give it a break. You can take it again if you have a problem.

Back
Top Bottom