Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT): General information and discussion of Home Units

I have a question about the oxygen generator. I noticed, it got really hot, mainly underneath. I measured +50C! on the floor. (My temperature meter ends at 50C.) As this is very new to me, it seems too hot.

Could I ask if any of you, with a Macy Pan oxygen generator, could measure the temperature underneath - to have a comparison, what is normal? Thank you.
I have the same model and yes it does get a bit hot but i think that is normal. I will measure it after the next dive - i have a lab thermometer that goes up to 200 and will get back to you.

According to this only Glutathione in sublingual form actually has anti-oxidative effect, regular oral form apparently adds to oxidative burden, so this may be something to keep in mind unless you are already taking sublingual form.

Liposomal glutathione, like the ones in this thread: Improved-delivery-method-for-liposomal-nutrients will be delivered directly into the cells and can be taken directly.

I was reading the Nutrition and Physical Degeneration book, where the value of copper was mentioned:

The kelp provided a very rich source of iodine as well as of copper, which is very important to them in the utilization of iron for building an exceptionally efficient quality of blood for carrying oxygen liberally at those high altitudes.

I went on to find more about copper and iron and found this:

That reminded me about products with liquid chlorophyll, that supposedly help with increasing the oxygen utilization in blood. But when you look at ingredients list, you see that they consist of Sodium Copper Chlorophyllin. So perhaps it is not the chlorophyll that helps with oxygen utilization, but the copper?

Ive been thinking a bit about the hypoxic/hyperoxic paradox and how we induce it with the mask on/off cycle for HBOT. Until now I've been using the 20/5 minute cycle like the Efrati protocol which gives the same duration with mask on/off.

This makes sense if it's only duration that counts. However the Efrati protocol is at 2.0 ATA, which is 1 ATA above normal pressure leading to a pressure increase of 1 ATA. My chamber is 1.5 ATA, which is 0.5 ATA above normal pressure. So, as has been discussed earlier in this thread, I only get half the increase in pressure compared to the Efrati protocol.

The reason for the on/off cycle with the mask is to induce the HH paradox. But I don't know what triggers the body to experience this paradox. Is it simply a drop in relative oxygen concentration in the air that you breathe? If that were so, it might not be necessary to wait 20 minutes before taking the mask off. Then it might be better to do a 5/5 cycle.

This led me to speculate that it could have to do with the oxygen concentration in the blood. Then it would make sense that it takes a certain amount of time to reach a given oxygen concentration. This amount of time would be dependent on the pressure and the oxygen concentration in the air that you breathe. I don't know the equation for the time it takes for inhaled oxygen to increase the oxygen concentration in the blood. If we assume the simplest model, it would be a 1:1 linear relationship. So since the pressure in the 1.5 ATA chamber is only half of the pressure of the 2.0 ATA chamber, then it would take twice as long to reach the same oxygen concentration in the blood if the oxygen concentration in the mask is the same.

If this is correct then it would be better to go for a 40/5 cycle rather than the 20/5 cycle. The "risk" with the 20/5 cycle would be that the oxygen concentration in the blood is too low to induce the HH paradox or only induce it in a minor way.

I don't remember if Scott Scherr og Jason Sonners mention the on/off cycle in their interview at 1.5 ATA.

Thoughts?

Ive been thinking a bit about the hypoxic/hyperoxic paradox and how we induce it with the mask on/off cycle for HBOT. Until now I've been using the 20/5 minute cycle like the Efrati protocol which gives the same duration with mask on/off.

This makes sense if it's only duration that counts. However the Efrati protocol is at 2.0 ATA, which is 1 ATA above normal pressure leading to a pressure increase of 1 ATA. My chamber is 1.5 ATA, which is 0.5 ATA above normal pressure. So, as has been discussed earlier in this thread, I only get half the increase in pressure compared to the Efrati protocol.

The reason for the on/off cycle with the mask is to induce the HH paradox. But I don't know what triggers the body to experience this paradox. Is it simply a drop in relative oxygen concentration in the air that you breathe? If that were so, it might not be necessary to wait 20 minutes before taking the mask off. Then it might be better to do a 5/5 cycle.

This led me to speculate that it could have to do with the oxygen concentration in the blood. Then it would make sense that it takes a certain amount of time to reach a given oxygen concentration. This amount of time would be dependent on the pressure and the oxygen concentration in the air that you breathe. I don't know the equation for the time it takes for inhaled oxygen to increase the oxygen concentration in the blood. If we assume the simplest model, it would be a 1:1 linear relationship. So since the pressure in the 1.5 ATA chamber is only half of the pressure of the 2.0 ATA chamber, then it would take twice as long to reach the same oxygen concentration in the blood if the oxygen concentration in the mask is the same.

If this is correct then it would be better to go for a 40/5 cycle rather than the 20/5 cycle. The "risk" with the 20/5 cycle would be that the oxygen concentration in the blood is too low to induce the HH paradox or only induce it in a minor way.

I don't remember if Scott Scherr og Jason Sonners mention the on/off cycle in their interview at 1.5 ATA.

Thoughts?
Interesting thoughts - however don’t forget that this whole, very fine cascade of events ( gene expression, metabolic changes, and regenerative processes - including angiogenesis and stimulation of stem cell proliferation, migration, and differentiation) is actually triggered by hypoxia not increased levels of oxygen.
The sensing of decreased oxygen levels levels occurs through specialized chemoreceptor cells - think of them as light switches therefore I would theorise that we don’t need to keep pressing really heard on these switches all the time, body mechanism are normally very finely tuned and it seems to me that any intermittent hyperoxia regardless of the oxygen level would be enough of a trigger for this cascade to occur.
Judging from experiences in this thread seems that even at 1.5 ATA the 20/5 protocol is working.

I think if one doesn’t have very serious health condition like stroke where they need to recover fast the protocol we do will work just fine.

Also don’t forget - those protocols of 2 ATA and over were devised for people to get better fast in hospital setting when the number of sessions is limited.
With home chambers and life time use I think it is more appropriate to gently press on those switches.
Well at least that is my take on it.
Perhaps this would be a good question for C’s.

@Breo I just measured it - fluctuates between 39.8 and 41.2 degrees FWIW
But unlike you i have stone floor underneath so maybe that is the difference
I measured 43°C on the bottom plate of the O2 concentrator right after 70-minute session at 10 l/min. The concentrator is sitting on a wood floor.

I measured 43°C on the bottom plate of the O2 concentrator right after 70-minute session at 10 l/min. The concentrator is sitting on a wood floor.
I found out why the compressor got overheated. It was my mistake. To save space in this small room, I had changed its position to the corner. It seems it got overheated there. Today I moved it away from the walls and the temperature is normal again, after 50 min, 10l/min, 41°C. The concentrator should be placed, so the air can circulate. Thank you so much for measuring!

After half a year of search, finally the Universe has presented me and @Siberia with an opportunity to try HBOT relatively close to home. Until now there were zero hyperbaric champers in the city, only in resorts outisde the city, and driving daily back and forth wasn't realistic, and paying for a 10 days stay just for the HBOT would be way too expensive.

So we waited and continued the search. Now there is HBOT in the wellness salon in the center of the city. It still requires taking a taxi twice a day in order to save time (we do it in the morning before work), but we were able to get a good deal on 30 sessions and plan on doing 30 more afterwards. The owner of the salon is very passionate and knowledgeable about HBOT, and willing to learn more, so I sent her additional papers about it. She does HBOT herself when she has time, so there was no problem regarding number of visits. The more the merrier. There will be 5 sessions on weekdays and weekends off.

Now for the specifications. The chamber is made in Russia and called Everest. As you can see from the photo, it is a large chamber and can comfortably contain 2 people. It can contain more, but it's not advised. And this is the reason why we were able to get a good deal. We are sitting in the chamber together and each pays half for the session. Which was a nice surprise. It is 500 rubles for each per session. Adding to it daily taxi fare (both sides) of up to 350 rubles, and the total cost of one daily session is 850 rubles. (14$) The sessions are 60 minutes long. Pressurizing phase is 4 minutes.

The chamber can reach 1.3 ATA with 40% (and up to 45%) O2 in the chamber, and 90-100% O2 on the exit from the oxygen tube.

photo_2022-11-11_18-31-16 (2).jpg
photo_2022-11-11_18-31-16.jpg

As you can see, there is no mask attached to the oxygen tube. The owner has the mask, but she removed it because it was uncomfortable and also presented a moisture problem as many of you mentioned. After discussing the issue and contemplating on it (including reading the thread), we decided that we are going to try it just the way it is, primarily due to the fact that it's both of us in the chamber at the same time. And because this is currently the only option we have.

Essentially we are relying on this kind of data 👇 that shows that such sessions can still be beneficial and useful even if we are doing the session without the mask. We will just have to do more sessions.

Breathing regular air under hyperbaric oxygen conditions of 1.3 Atm leads to more than 50% elevation in tissue oxygenation. There are many case reports illustrating significant effects due to small increases in air pressure, including effects on the brain

What we currently do is making sure to sit close to the oxygen tube. And then alternate sitting right near the tube. Each of us for 15 minutes at the time breathes the oxygen as close as possible to the tube. But without getting it directly into the nostrils, considering the fact that it isn't moisturized. Don't know if this can induce a relative hypoxia, since we don't breath with the mask, but there are already beneficial effects even after only 5 days of HBOT.

In my personal case I have an issue with sleeping and a high blood pressure. Not the falling asleep part or waking up, but the staying asleep part. I can't sleep for more than 6-6.5 hours. The blood pressure before the first session was 142/96, on the second day it was 130/95 prior to the session and 121/81 after the session. Since then the blood pressure is almost at the normal levels or at the normal levels prior and after the sessions even a bit lower. I also make sure various advised supplements and upped the intake of glycine, since it appears to be helpful, but it's pretty evident that HBOT helps to stabilize the BP. Hopefully with time it will also be able to assist with the length of sleep.

Beside that no serious side effects. A bit of tiredness and hunger. But it's been only 5 sessions, so will see how it goes. :-)

As @Keit explained, this is a unique opportunity for us to try HBOT, because it's close enough to our home and also affordable, since each of us pays only half the price for the procedure and the taxi.

As for the effects on my side, they are as follows. When I first tried HBOT, it was after a month of feeling sick, weak and tired. I was fairly exhausted after a month of allergic sneezing and having my sinuses blocked. So after the first two sessions I felt even more tired than before.

But after the third session I noticed some changes. I felt better than before the session, more energized.

After the forth session I noticed that my skin became more smooth and clear, less itchy and inflamed.

Today was my fifth session. My sinuses have started to clear up, not fully yet, but they are improving too.

Other clients of this saloon also report interesting HBOT effects. For example, one man improved his blood pressure after a brain stroke. Another lady is visiting the chamber with her daughter who has neurological issues. They also sit in the chamber together like me and @Keit. After a few sessions the woman has noticed improvements in her child's behavior and learning progress.

So far, it has been an interesting and beneficial experience for us. Looking forward to continue with HBOT. :-)

I'm up to 60 hours now, so reporting in.

Around 30-40 sessions I started noticing that (for a few hours at least) after sessions that time moved much slower. Tasks at my job went from taking 1 hour down to 10 minutes.
Still having energy/cognitive issues around this number of sessions though, and not being able to do a full session when energy dipped (around 3pm usually), I tried just using the oxygen for a minute. After several days (whenever I felt super tired/brain dead) this started having a positive cumulative result - less energy dips.

So that set me pulling on some threads.
CFS (which I was 'diagnosed' with - or at least matched the diagnostic criteria for at the doctors) seems to have issues with blood flow to the brain, and issues with proper blood flow between the lungs/heart. The later explaining exercise intolerance.
I was still having digestive issues too.

First this video (the little mention of CFS in it was interesting):
Elliot's mention of the vagus nerve needing acetylcholine to function properly, having an inflamed brain reduces this.
Without this working properly you can get many issues, including digestive issues (stomach acid/bile is not released) as well as improper heart co-ordination (anything from tachycardia to not up-regulating the heart when changes blood pressure occur) - which also effects heat/cold tolerance.
So I tried it for a with good results. Incidentally the fat around my waste started disappearing around here.

So an inflamed brain?
Next video:
On a particular bad day (the sort of day that's hard to stay awake) around session 50 I tried the supplements in the video (although I had been taking a bunch anyway). Struggled to the end of the work day, added some d-ribose and got in the HBOT.
Fell instantly asleep, and woke up the end in a completely different state.
My brain and neck had what felt like 0 inflammation - the contrast to 'normal' made me realize just how inflamed my brain has been for a long long time.
Just as an additional note on how much this has been effecting me - my maximum leg press in the gym went from 50kg from the previous weeks, to 90kg from the day after this happened. Nerve signal strength having a large impact on strength.

I haven't been able to fully replicate this massive difference since, but my brains overall inflammation seems to be gradually reducing.

I added back in red/infrared light therapy, specifically to the back of my head/neck as well as korean ginseng for blood flow to the brain - both of which seems to have reduced tired spells (without the need for oxygen), as well as increased exercise tolerance (higher heart rate/faster blood pressure changes) further.
Those where suggested in this video:

Here’s my report:
Back in May I purchased a third share in an Oxyrevo unit that goes to 1.4ATA.
I went six days per week for 8weeks doing 90minute sessions, 75 minutes under full pressure.
Over that 8 week span I had two Novovax shots, 6 weeks apart, did a very comprehensive covid vaccine harm protection supplement and detox protocol for the full 8 weeks, and I had covid in between the two shots with symptoms that matched the Delta strain. I completely lost my sense of taste and smell for two weeks and remained altered for another two or so weeks.

I can’t report that I feel like I have had huge benefits from the HBOT compared to my baseline, although with the strain I was under I never went backwards. I did need to take ten days off work and was a bit more tired than usual for the following week. However when I finally got to join my husband mountain biking in the Cascade mountains of Oregon, I arrived fit and well. I was able to ride my single speed mountain bike in the mountains and was no less able than previous years, in fact my husband said I was climbing better than I ever have.

I will start another 6 weeks of treatment this week. My biggest challenge to my health at present is a chronic invasive fungal infection of my para nasal sinuses. A few years ago I ejected a fungal ball after doing several weeks of facial exercises to mobilise my palate, jaw, and improve my swallowing and speaking muscles on one side of my face. Over the past few years I have continuously been working with supplements and fasting etc to knock the chronic infection back. It has improved but I had hoped the hyperbaric would take care of it for good. Which it hasn’t. Yet?

Anyway, I have just been studying the bicarbonate of soda thread and have ordered the book featured. Will order the pH strips today.

As I understand it BCS is one of the few remedies that can eliminate fungal infections. I’m planning on buying a nebuliser and will do both HBOT and BCS treatments over next few weeks.

Will report back, and if anyone has any further info I should look into or supplements etc I’m very keen to hear it.

I’m still pushing ahead to one day feel like I have mental energy and not be tired all the time. The tiredness is a feeling of wanting to close my eyes and always rest. I have always found that very intense exercise is the only thing that really wakes me up and I think it’s because it forces lymph and blood around my body.

I wonder how much the Russian unit costs and are there units available that do 1.5 and 2?
I checked all the models on Барокамера купить | Кислородная капсула и камера - цена в СПб | Эверест Барокамеры They do not go above 1.4, and write the range is 1.1 to 1.3. From a machine translation of the documentation:
SOFT HBO

The scientific community also distinguishes mild or moderate HBO (mild hyperbaric oxygen therapy), in which therapy is performed at pressures less than 1.3 atm. Due to a wide range of contraindications and limitations (including those related to fire safety), classical hyperbaric oxygenation is performed by specially trained medical personnel who are allowed to work with therapeutic hyperbaric systems.

In contrast, the soft HBO regime is the therapeutic use of gas mixtures with an increased oxygen content at an excess atmospheric pressure in the range of 1.1-1.3 ATA. Practically without contraindications, this method is widely used both in medical institutions and in SPA salons.

Oxygen sources in the mild mode of barotherapy are oxygen concentrators located next to the chamber that allow you to get oxygen from atmospheric air. At the same time, classical hyperbaric oxygenation (HBO) requires a gasifier for storing oxygen, an oxygen supply system to the chamber, and a staff with special additional training to ensure the safety of operating pressure vessels during the day.

This method of barotherapy is becoming increasingly widely used in recent years due to two main advantages: the absence of the need for oxygen delivery from the source and the high technical reliability of the equipment. In addition, the oxygen generator is mobile, uncomplicated and safe to operate.

In addition, soft barotherapy is a much simpler technique that does not require additional equipment, consumables, specially prepared premises and highly specialized personnel. In such pressure chambers, there is no place where oxygen can escape under high pressure, which is fraught with fire hazard and scares a reasonable administrator.

Experimental and clinical studies have shown that moderate oxygenation, in addition to eliminating hypoxia, also has the property of increasing the ability of the cell to antioxidant protection. In healthy people, moderate HBO significantly increases the adaptive capabilities of the body, reduces the risk of diseases. Sessions in the pressure chamber relieve fatigue, restore strength after strenuous work, increase muscle tone, have an anti-stress, restorative and tonic effect, and reduce the adverse effects of polluted atmosphere.

In this regard, the last decades have been marked by the change of hyperoxic to the so-called soft HBO. This is a safer and "soft" technique, which is carried out under much lower pressure than classical HBO (from 1.1 to 1.3 ATA at 30% oxygen concentration, which is almost 1.5 times higher than in the atmosphere, but 3 times less than with classical HBO). For more than 10 years, an extensive clinical evidence-based material has been accumulated, demonstrating not only a positive therapeutic and rehabilitation effect comparable to classical HBO, but also high safety. So, Japanese scientists from the University of Tsukuba conducted a study of the level of free radicals, as a result of which they found that oxygen inhalation under a pressure of 1.3 ATA with a 30% oxygen concentration is safe and is not associated with the development of oxidative stress (before the oxygenation session, the average value of free radicals was 210.6 U. CARR (the norm is 200 ~ 300 U. CARR), after - 201.5 U. CARR). Other Japanese researchers from Gunma University conducted a study of the partial pressure of oxygen (pO2) and carbon dioxide (pCO2) in the arterial blood of healthy people who inhaled oxygen at different concentrations and pressures at rest and when moving. As a result of the experiment, it was found that in subjects who inhaled oxygen with a concentration of 30% and a pressure of 1.3 ATA, the oxygen content in the blood increased almost twice, and pCO2 did not change compared to those who inhaled atmospheric air at normal pressure. Today, mild barotherapy is actively replacing HBO all over the world and is widely used for both preventive (general health improvement, cosmetology, preparation for surgery and anesthesia), rehabilitation (from stopping withdrawal symptoms to restoring physical activity of professional athletes), and therapeutic expediency (treatment of almost all pathological conditions, including strokes and heart attacks)..

This is the description for Everest 0.8:
The principle of operation of the pressure chamber
An oxygen concentrator generates oxygen from the surrounding air. Increases oxygen content up to 35%. Power 10 l/min: within 5 minutes after turning on the EVEREST 0.8 you get the right concentration of oxygen, and the session is as efficient as possible. The body of the pressure chamber is equipped with a patented double zipper, which will last more than 50,000 sessions. Compressor - provides the supply of highly purified air to the pressure chamber. Filters air down to 0.01 microns. Thanks to a powerful filter, highly purified air enters the pressure chamber, which is especially important for megacities.
And for the more solidly build BLKS-303MK
Characteristics
  • Length: 2.34 m
  • Width: 1.13 m
  • Height: 1.5 m
  • Volume: 0.96 m3
  • Electrical fire safety is ensured by the absence of external power sources; The intercom is powered by 9V batteries.
  • Overpressure is provided by injection of both oxygen and air.
  • Saving oxygen is achieved through the use of an additional circulation circuit.
  • The design of the pressure chamber provides for the possibility of connecting external devices (diagnostic equipment and patient life support systems).
  • Oxygen Concentrator
  • Working pressure: 1.1-1.4 ata
  • Complete set: pressure chamber, control and monitoring unit, base, rolling trolley and a bed with a mattress for the patient.
There are no prices on the website, one will have to contact them. Their office in St Petersburg.

Back
Top Bottom