Iodine and Potassium Iodide

Lilyalic said:
Yas said:
I was looking into Guafenesin and I'm wondering how are you taking it. Is it pure or are you taking it in a syrup that contains other things as well? I'm not sure about general cough syrups because they usually contain lots of sugar too.

yeah I was thinking the same, I ended up just getting some Cough syrup that has Ethanol and Glucose syrup etc in (actually made me feel a little funny/ dizzy), you can get sugar free ones too but I needed it that day. I can't say it made a HUGE difference but it definitely helped get most of the flem out.

Guaifenesin is also available in pill form without those additives. In the U.S. you can get it over the counter as Mucinex. The major pharmacy chains have their own store brand that is much cheaper called 'mucus relief' or something similar.

Fludan also sells it and you can get it on Amazon. It can be dehydrating and cause some constipation, so drinking plenty of water will help.

Ruth said:
I found this presentation by Dr Flechas about iodine insufficiency very instructive. He's offered a hypothesis that iodine deficiency is what causes ADHD, an increase in cancers (especially breast), fibromyalgia (which he calls a 'trash can' diagnosis and provides some funny examples). He puts forward that some of the behavioural problems in schools (shootings, violence etcetera) is because of bromide poisoning (this is now an additive to soft drinks and bread).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBM2qWKkFxE&list=RDZBM2qWKkFxE#t=0

Apparently they test for two things. Iodine intake from the diet and something called a sodium/iodine symporter pump. If the sodium/iodine symporter pump is defective, then iodine will be excreted instead of absorbed by cells that need it.

I remember reading somewhere, information that breast cancer in Asian women was less than that of Western women. They thought it was fish oil in the diet. They thought it was low dairy food in the diet. Maybe it was neither? Maybe it was iodine? If I was to speculate further it may also be one possible explanation why Asian children have a higher IQ (on average) that Western children.

Ruth,

I just watched the video which I saved as I was reading through the thread and just wanted to thank you for sharing it. I think it is an excellent overview of how important iodine is to us. There is so much good information here that I probably will never catch up but I just wanted to at least thank you for the link. The first question asked at the end of the video was how to repair the "sodium/iodine symporter pump" and he refers to articles on his home page but he mentioned ester-vitamin C, vitamin B2, B3 and taking iodine supplements. That is in line with what we are trying to do. :)

Konstantin said:
RedFox said:
Konstantin said:
Yesterday evening i noticed that my left side of my neck, just under the jaw bone hurts when i turn the head. On touch i can feel that it is swollen. Then i suspected that it was my left tonsil swollen. I dont have tonsils problem since i was a little kid.Never my whole life. This morning i saw from inside my throat that the left side is red and swollen but i dont feel any pain. For almost 3-4 weeks i have this weird cold symptoms with congested sinuses .Maybe its the same bug. So maybe iodine will clear this bug too.

It's possible this is a bromide/heavy metal detox reaction, or a bug waking up.
I would say though, that as it's your neck (where the thyroid is) it's important to consider if it's the thyroid swelling. Are you taking selenium too?

I dont think that its a thyroid. Today i started the protokol. Before that i took iodine tikture only a few times just a one drop, and the last time i took it was maybe a 7-10 days ago, i dont remember.So i noticed this swelling before i took iodine today. I guess that its a bug waking up. Its very up in the throat whre left tonsile is. Its not close to the thyroid. Some friend of mine said that it could be some tooth infection too. And its under the jaw bone, so i cant exclude that possibility too.
Yes i`m taking B2, B3( Niacinamide ) and Selenium( 200 microGrams ). Later afternoon VIt C, and some Magnesium in the evening.
I`ll take one drop of iodine tomorrow too and then i`ll pause for the weekend but i will continue with all co-factors, so i can see how will i react.

My condition is getting worst, and i dont think its a tonsile or some kind of bug.Probably you were right RedFox. It can be a thyroid problem

On the left side the most painfull spot is just there the thyroid is, little above. It hurts wheni touch it and i make me feel the pain in my complette left side of the neck. I feel tremors, on my upper body like i`m overdosed with coffeine. I feel cold all the time and just need more warmth.Yesterday i have a fever and the body temperature between 37.5 Celsius and 38. I feel like my heart is pounding harder, stronger, not faster. Sometimes i have a big apetite , sometimes i dont. I feel week, with a lot of brainfog and its impossible to think clear.

I `ll have to make some tests to see what is the problem. The most anoying and dissturbing thing is the tremmor, its fine shaking of the body.
I used the iodine only 2 times of one drop. So if its a thyroid issue then maybe i`m to sensitive to iodine or i have autonomous noddle in the thyroid.
Also i feel my hands very cold since this started.

Konstantin said:
Konstantin said:
I dont think that its a thyroid. Today i started the protokol. Before that i took iodine tikture only a few times just a one drop, and the last time i took it was maybe a 7-10 days ago, i dont remember.So i noticed this swelling before i took iodine today. I guess that its a bug waking up. Its very up in the throat whre left tonsile is. Its not close to the thyroid. Some friend of mine said that it could be some tooth infection too. And its under the jaw bone, so i cant exclude that possibility too.
Yes i`m taking B2, B3( Niacinamide ) and Selenium( 200 microGrams ). Later afternoon VIt C, and some Magnesium in the evening.
I`ll take one drop of iodine tomorrow too and then i`ll pause for the weekend but i will continue with all co-factors, so i can see how will i react.

My condition is getting worst, and i dont think its a tonsile or some kind of bug.Probably you were right RedFox. It can be a thyroid problem

On the left side the most painfull spot is just there the thyroid is, little above. It hurts wheni touch it and i make me feel the pain in my complette left side of the neck. I feel tremors, on my upper body like i`m overdosed with coffeine. I feel cold all the time and just need more warmth.Yesterday i have a fever and the body temperature between 37.5 Celsius and 38. I feel like my heart is pounding harder, stronger, not faster. Sometimes i have a big apetite , sometimes i dont. I feel week, with a lot of brainfog and its impossible to think clear.

I `ll have to make some tests to see what is the problem. The most anoying and dissturbing thing is the tremmor, its fine shaking of the body.
I used the iodine only 2 times of one drop. So if its a thyroid issue then maybe i`m to sensitive to iodine or i have autonomous noddle in the thyroid.

Well, overall it sounds like detox, but you can't exclude the autonomous node. Sounds like you should do salted water in the morning, vitamin C in the afternoon, for awhile with no iodine or co-factors just to try to calm things down. As I mentioned, the co-factors were designed for people who have mtDNA energy issues, so not everyone needs to take them. Only take them if you have a prior, serious, energy production problem.

Laura said:
Konstantin said:
Konstantin said:

Well, overall it sounds like detox, but you can't exclude the autonomous node. Sounds like you should do salted water in the morning, vitamin C in the afternoon, for awhile with no iodine or co-factors just to try to calm things down. As I mentioned, the co-factors were designed for people who have mtDNA energy issues, so not everyone needs to take them. Only take them if you have a prior, serious, energy production problem.

Today afternoon I will see a doctor, and tomorrow morning I will do a complete bload test. So after that I will have a better view of my condition.

Konstantin said:
Today afternoon I will see a doctor, and tomorrow morning I will do a complete bload test. So after that I will have a better view of my condition.

Hopefully, your doctor will order a scan to see what is going on with the thyroid, if anything!

Konstantin said:

Make sure the thyroid tests have at least TSH, T3 and T4. Some people are asking thyroid tests and they only measure T4 .

Hope you'll feel better with the detox measures.

A quick update.
The DMSA round (3 days at 200mg x3) went well, and left me feeling a bit more energised in general. The main change was that my dreams where no longer chaotic/noisy.
I don't have any fillings, so can only presume it's accumulated heavy metal.
One thing that did get worse afterwards (which had been building up slowly before I took the DMSA) was waking up with numbness in my hands, and neck pain. This is something I had a lot of as a teenager.

Looking it up, it appears to be Cubital Tunnel Syndrome
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00069
Ulnar nerve entrapment occurs when the ulnar nerve in the arm becomes compressed or irritated.

The ulnar nerve is one of the three main nerves in your arm. It travels from your neck down into your hand, and can be constricted in several places along the way, such as beneath the collarbone or at the wrist. The most common place for compression of the nerve is behind the inside part of the elbow. Ulnar nerve compression at the elbow is called "cubital tunnel syndrome."

Numbness and tingling in the hand and fingers are common symptoms of cubital tunnel syndrome. In most cases, symptoms can be managed with conservative treatments like changes in activities and bracing. If conservative methods do not improve your symptoms, or if the nerve compression is causing muscle weakness or damage in your hand, your doctor may recommend surgery.
[..]
A00069F02.jpg

The ulnar nerve gives sensation (feeling) to the little finger and to half of the ring finger on both the palm and back side of the hand.

The ulnar nerve extends from the neck through the shoulders and arms to the hands.
What stopped the symptoms dead in their tracks was going back to the MTHFR protocol which has helped me with nerve remyelination in the past. I also noticed that taking the methyl-B12 and methyl-folate helped much faster than in the past. I was also getting dry flakey skin on my hands that I attributed to the cold weather - this cleared up within a few hours of restarting the MTHFR protocol.

The following seems to suggest that this may be important for some people:
http://www.progressivehealth.com/b12-thyroid.htm
[..]
How Vitamin B12 Deficiency is related to Hypothyroidism

Many people suffering from hypothyroidism are prescribed thyroid hormone replacement or other thyroid drugs. Of the two thyroid hormones, T3 is widely regarded to be clinically more effective than T4. However, even with T3 replacement, some patients do not fully recover from the symptoms of their deficiency.

Recent clinical data now show that the reason for this is vitamin B12 deficiency.

Vitamin B12 deficiency worsens hypothyroidism. Unfortunately, both deficiencies can go unnoticed and they can be difficult to diagnose.

Some of the symptoms shared by both deficiencies include depression, lethargy, fatigue, disturbed sleep pattern and memory impairment. Where both deficiencies occur, vitamin B12 supplementation must be paired with thyroid hormone replacement or drugs to fully resolve symptoms.

But how often does vitamin B12 deficiency and hypothyroidism affect the same person at the same time? Pretty often as it turns out.

Study 1: Vitamin B12 Deficiency is Common in Hypothyroid Patients

A 2008 study published in The Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association is the most important investigation of the co-occurrence of the two deficiencies. In this study, the researchers evaluated the signs and markers of vitamin B12 deficiency in 116 patients suffering from hypothyroidism.

The results of the study showed a high prevalence of vitamin B12 deficiency among hypothyroid patients.

In this study, as many as 40% of the hypothyroid patients also suffered from vitamin B12 deficiency. The researchers also noted that the classic signs of vitamin B12 deficiency were not good enough for diagnosing this deficiency in hypothyroid patients.

{incidentally 40% of the population have a double MTHFR mutation http://mthfr.net/mthfr-basics-from-dr-erlich/2012/03/01/}

Rather, they recommended the screening of all hypothyroid patients for vitamin B12 deficiency. This should be done through laboratory tests. Where such tests are not available, vitamin B12 supplementation may be added to thyroid hormone replacement or hypothyroidism drugs.

For patients suffering from hypothyroidism, vitamin B12 levels must be close to the upper limit of the acceptable range of vitamin B12 levels in normal patients.

While experts once believed that vitamin B12 deficiency is only common among the elderly because of diminished absorption of the vitamin, the available clinical data show that this deficiency is just as common in the young as it is in older patients. Therefore, measurements of vitamin B12 levels should also be part of the standard treatment protocol in young people suffering from hypothyroidism.

Study 2: Hypothyroidism is a Cause of Vitamin B12 and Folic Acid Deficiencies

In a 1999 study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, a group of researchers investigated the link between hypothyroidism and high homocysteine levels.

The study involved 14 hypothyroid patients who were also diagnosed with hyperhomocysteinemia (high levels of homocysteine). Following a few months of treatment with L-thyroxine, the researchers found that the patients’ homocysteine levels fell back to normal values even as their hypothyroidism was resolved.

The researchers concluded that hypothyroidism is a cause of hyperhomocysteinemia and that it is treatable.

Homocysteine is a metabolite of methionine. It is only a temporary metabolite in the synthesis of the amino acid, methionine. For the synthesis to proceeds, vitamin B12 and folate are required.

However, in cases of vitamin B12 and/or folate deficiencies, homocysteine accumulates in the body.

When it accumulates, homocysteine is toxic to the cardiovascular and nervous systems. It has been proven to increase the risk of coronary heart disease and increase the levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL or “bad” cholesterol).

To prevent its accumulation, folate and vitamin B12 supplements are needed when both or either vitamin is in low supply in the body.

An older study published in the Journal of Clinical Pathology established that thyroid hormones are involved in the syntheses of folate. Since folate and vitamin B12 share a number of biochemical processes, it can also be said that thyroid hormones affect vitamin B12 levels. Therefore, hypothyroidism may lead to vitamin B12 deficiency.

In the 1999 study, the researchers established that patients with primary hypothyroidism usually have high homocysteine levels. Since hypothyroidism is easily treated with thyroid hormones, the damage done to heart and brain by hypothyroidism and vitamin B12 deficiency can be prevented.

[..]

http://www.mthfrdoctors.com/study/association-of-demyelination-with-deficiency-of-cerebrospinal-fluid-s-adenosylmethionine-in-inborn-errors-of-methyl-transfer-pathway
Association of demyelination with deficiency of cerebrospinal-fluid S-adenosylmethionine in inborn errors of methyl-transfer pathway.

Long-term deficiency of cobalamin or folate causes a demyelinating disease of the brain and spinal cord. A reduced supply of methyl groups has been implicated as its cause. To examine the mechanisms of demyelination in human beings, we have studied three children with sequential inborn errors of the methyl-transfer pathway. One child had abnormal methylfolate metabolism, one abnormal methylcobalamin metabolism, and one hypermethioninaemia probably caused by methionine adenosyltransferase deficiency. Magnetic resonance imaging of the brain and measurement of cerebrospinal-fluid concentrations of 5-methyltetrahydrofolate, methionine, and S-adenosylmethionine were carried out before and after 6-12 months of appropriate treatment. Each patient had abnormal myelination before treatment; the scans suggested demyelination. The only consistent biochemical abnormality in the cerebrospinal fluid was a low concentration of S-adenosylmethionine. Treatment led to substantial clinical improvement, apparent remyelination, and increases in cerebrospinal-fluid S-adenosylmethionine concentration into the normal range. Cerebrospinal-fluid concentrations of S-adenosylmethionine and methionine were significantly lower in eight other children with errors of the methyl-transfer pathway than in an age-matched reference population (mean [95% confidence interval] standard deviation score -1.81 [0.57], p less than 0.001 for S-adenosyl methionine and -1.82 [0.19], p less than 0.001 for methionine). The concentrations of these metabolites increased to within the reference range on treatment. We have shown that demyelination is associated with cerebrospinal-fluid S-adenosylmethionine deficiency and that restoration of S-adenosylmethionine is associated with remyelination.

So hypothetically if someone has MS or myelination problems (nerve damage, numbness, tingling etc) that get worse on the iodine and/or after DMSA, you probably need to look into the MTHFR protocol.
I've dropped the additional small dose of standard niacin too (for serotonin support), as it can reduce S-adenosylmethionine levels.

Hello everybody, firstly a Great Thank you for this priceless thread!

Time to add my testimony, sorry for the delay, procastination again and again, and fear of being noisy as always...

Having followed this thread from the beginning, then skipped to the "autoimmune disease/antibiotic protocol" which had scared me, my old anti-doctor and anti-medicine program, fear of people in white coats since boyhood, etc.

Mid November we, my wife and I, finally decided to jump on the bandwagon of iodine, for many reasons among which our age (52), the fact that being on a very low-carb diet, paleo and mostly keto since March 2011, we've enjoyed many great improvements (kids and close friends too) obviously not enough.

Ordered the Dr Brownstein's book online, carefully read it and the whole thread twice too, acquired the necessary co-factors since our critical financial situation has been cleared, at last.

Waiting for the Lugol, we began with the tincture, I had some for the pets, poultry and cattle. Just some drops in a glass of water just after the bacon and eggs breakfast routine, and then, surprise, I discovered that I loved that taste, and actually crave for it, it became my morning pleasure, my wife just likes it while I could drink it all day long, put some in the tea, cook with it, use it as a seasoning everywhere, of course not possible nor recomended!

Then I found the Lugol 5% in an old pharmacy, the old women was so pleased to prepare it to me, it's been years that nobody asked for, it's a remedy of another time she said sadly, she asked no question while I've been in several other stores where they looked at me strangely or required a prescription or simply refused raising eyebrows or demanded 30€ for 10cl at 1% waiting several weeks, a real assault course! So I've got it for 6€ 30cl at 5%! She even wrote me the recipe, if I've ordered a liter sure she would have prepared it to me with pleasure, at last still some gentle people. Well a good sign for a good start!

We began on November 21th, having several droppers and noting that the drops can be so different, we choosed the little one, so I cannot rely on the 6.35mg/drop and didn't find any solution to that problem in the thread.

Anyway decided to try 14 drops, my wife 7, in one take, because we don't have lunch, only a light dinner. The first week we've split into two doses, making the first nights almost "white"!

Now today, as advised here, teaspoon of salt in warm water as soon as get up, one hour later Lugol after breakfast, with the co-factors (Selenium, Niacin, Niacinamide, B complex, ALA, NAC, L-Tyrosine etc) 5 days a week, stop 2 days.
Minerals before bed, Glycine with tea 3 times and VitC in the afternoon, salt again in the evening.

Salt is like a torture I must say, the mere thought of it makes me feel nauseous, so I don't mix with water anymore, just the teaspoon of dry salt straight in the mouth then 2 glasses of warm water.. ugh..

Now the symptoms :

-First weeks,
even first days with tincture, a huge increase of energy, just me, my wife felt very fine physically anyway, like back in our thirties, so we found the will, time and energy to finally clear our piece of forest which still was cluttered by dead and uprooted trees following heavy snow fall of the last winter, we accomplished that task in 5 days, 10 hours a day. Mental clarity at his best, reciting poems by memory and/or improvising discourse in alexandrine, really new for me, we had a lot of fun, well these optimal state of mind and body, the enthusiasm didn't last more than 10 days...unfortunately.

-Weeks 2 to 5
On the 11th day, I woke up with a hellish headache in the occipital zone which knocked me out, I couldn't remain upright more than one minute, hardly had to cancel some appointments by telephone. It's very uncommon for me to suffer from headaches except when too much cigarettes, moreover we smoke a bit less now. It stopped suddendly in the middle of the afternoon, I didn't even think of drinking salt or vitC to find some relief, my brain being so much foggy, I did it afterwards. So we began to stop 2 days a week. My wife had at the same time slight headaches but almost every morning. But we endure this easely, so glad to detox at last.

Then during the same period I had an acne flare-up on my cheeks under the eyes, it lasts today, important itches and rashes on my back as soon as I lie to sleep.

No flu symptoms at all, no mucus, no cough, we usually catch flu once every 2 years. Before low carb diet I had hay fever 3/4 times a year with my nose as a fountain during 4/5 days very exhausting, not anymore.

Diarreha in the middle of the morning almost every day which I feel it's a good sign of detox, not painful at all, even quite pleasant.

- Weeks 6 till today
In sum Depression, Depression, Depression, truly, madly, deeply...
Around Christmas time, old programs and old patterns, many of you have described thoroughly this state, no need to dwell on this...It's always there but less frequent, maybe two periods a week, but it remains too much, this is in fact the most terrible part of the detox, well "he who learns must suffer..."
Another huge headache for me again 2 weeks ago, slight headache 2 hours a day in always different zones, good signs, smelly urine twice a week for both, my wife had flickering eyes, not me, epsom salt in bath has improved things, some painful joints for both of us (new)
We decided to lower the doses, 7 for me, 5 for my wife. We also did the muscle testing for the doses of Lugol and each co-factors, double blind but didn't rely on the results.

Dreams : from the very beginning, not every night, crazy vivid dreams with a very good and clear memory of them, yes as many have said, same timelines with odd people, and different timelines or spaces with family and friends, so strange and so real, a lot to ponder about, fortunately for some of them it somewhat relieves the worst depression episodes.

I began today the DMSA because I still have a dozen of amalgams, maybe more, since several years after tens of telephone calls never found a dentist who wants to remove them, I've just found two who practice in Tunisia three times cheaper than in France, I could afford it now but time is the problem, it could be achieved in 10 days, no choice.

We would like to thank again, Laura, the research crew and of course all of those who shared here their experiment, without you we certainly didn't dare to follow this Path

Sounds like a lot of detox going on. It's probably a good idea to drop your doses down to 1-2 drops a day, especially given all the symptoms you describe.

Two weeks ago I stopped taking lugols to do a low level DMSA detox - at 200mg, 3 x a day, for 3 days and then 4 days off for each round and taking the recommended supplements throughout the whole week. Two rounds completed.

For the second and third DMSA days and the first 'free' day of each week it was as if I hit a wall approximately 3-4hrs after the morning capsule, and required a sleep of 1 hr to recuperate. Other symptoms included frequency of urination (especially at night on those days), looser stools, and a decreased need for sleep (71/2-8hrs compared with 10+ with lugols). Also, there was a feeling of clarity and a need for/actually working on myself (mental detoxing) and more interaction with others.

So, it seems that detoxing is progressing even at this low level of DMSA, and is provide positive benefits too. :)

RedFox said:
Sounds like a lot of detox going on. It's probably a good idea to drop your doses down to 1-2 drops a day, especially given all the symptoms you describe.

Yes and another option is to do the current doses on alternative days, or every 2 days.

I have found that I need higher doses, but that I cannot tolerate them every single day due to acne-like lesions and mood changes. I was doing iodine 6 drops twice per week and now I can tolerate the same amount on alternative days.

Hi all, i'm taking iodine starting the month of December, at the beginning i took a few drops of iodine a day and slowly i started to increase the intake, currently i take 14- 15 drops of lugol's iodine (15 % strength) per day, as a side effect( probably because of the detoxing) i experienced loose stools, drink a lot of water and obviously i'm going many times in the bathroom, the positive effects are: i have a more clearer mind, don't have that mental fogginess that i used to have previously when i was tired, the reason i'm taking this much is because i want to nuke those pesky critters that i'm sure are out there, what i'm curious of is, is it too much the amount of iodine that i'm taking? By taking this amount of iodine daily i didn't experience, health problems, low energy, except sometimes some flu symptoms, and my eyes having more "fluid"...

15% = 7.62mg
14 drops = 106.68mg - 15 drops = 114.30mg
Both are Huge doses, but ok for nuking critters.

Are you taking selenium too? Salt (sea salt) water in the morning?
What makes you think you have critters?

RedFox said:
15% = 7.62mg
14 drops = 106.68mg - 15 drops = 114.30mg
Both are Huge doses, but ok for nuking critters.

Are you taking selenium too? Salt (sea salt) water in the morning?
What makes you think you have critters?

Yes, the first thing when i'm waking up i'm taking salt water, about the selenium, i ordered it from amazon so i'm waiting for it, i know i should do that much earlier, why i think i'm having critters is that in the past when i was younger i did go to see a doctor and found out that i had parasites, i followed the doctor's treatment prescription medication, which i think it wasn't enough, considering the discussion in the autoimmune disease thread(about how difficult is to get rid of the parasites),
i'm thinking to reduce the dosage for a couple of days and then again to increase it and do some more nuking, will be careful though.

Back
Top Bottom