Iodine and Potassium Iodide

Konstantin said:
Some new symptoms developed. I feel some burning sensation in my thoat. The pain that i have is now completely gone but burning sensation developed. Its somewhere behind ot deep in the thyroid. I feels similar to sore throat but its more deep inside. And its changing from one to other side of the throat very fast. It started on the right side and now both sides are affected. Also my appetite is much bigger. I can still feel my heart beating harder. From today also some heaviness in the chest area( thymus area )

You may actually come down with a sore throat/cold as quite a few of us have. It seems that this may be part of the detox process.

Konstantin said:
i`m still little worried if this Elevated TSH can make some damage to my thyroid since it will provoke the thyroid to produce more hormones but since i will not supplement with iodine until all this calm down.

No, elevated TSH won't damage your thyroid as long as there is iodine available.

Konstantin said:
Can that process damage the thyroid , or since there will be no more iodine available the TSH will calm down over time and also my weird symptoms.

At some point, when things calm down, you'll want to take minimal doses of KI, prolly. The very fact that you had such a reaction is almost smoking gun evidence of how your body was starved of iodine.

Konstantin said:
i`m still little worried if this Elevated TSH can make some damage to my thyroid since it will provoke the thyroid to produce more hormones but since i will not supplement with iodine until all this calm down.

Don't worry, Konstantin. In your context, a mild elevation of TSH might be a good sign. The symporter is getting back online.

Even if you had hypothyroidism symptoms (and you don't), giving thyroid hormones without addressing an iodine deficiency will only cause damage and all sorts of problems as Brownstein explains so well in his book.

Also, you might be surprised to know that sub-clinical hypothyroidism (normal T3, T4 and elevated TSH) is correlated with longevity in the elderly population.

Laura said:
If you've been reading carefully, how quickly peeps notice "action" after taking iodine, then you would not have come to this conclusion. It is pretty clear that iodine does NOT "act slow."

Now on a second round of iodine. First went for 2-3 weeks, then did DMSA (with no apparent reaction to DMSA on first round) for three days. This is the fourth day back on iodine (one dropper 2% lugols, twice per day...I worked up to that on the first round and found that beyond that was too much).

What I noticed on this and the previous round of iodine, was that 2-3 days in the cold symptoms started. On the first round the symptoms abated within a few days. It's only a couple days so far, and I will continue with iodine for another few days before another round of DMSA.

And, as I have read about DMSA (maybe in this thread...maybe elsewhere), DMSA takes some time as well. It may take several rounds of not noticing any detox symptoms and then a tipping point is reached.

So, yeah. Not slow.

Konstantin said:

I cry all the time. Not wailing like a baby. Watching movies on TV with family, I used to try and hide the tears. Now I just let 'em rip. The other night my teenage daughter asked,"Dad, are you crying again." Yup. Of course, I don't want my kids to think their dad is losing his grip, so the real bouts of baby-crying I save for those moments when my wife and I are alone. So nice to have a compassionate shoulder to soak.

I am fascinated by this crying. It also happens during meditation sometimes, and very often during breathwork. It's the breathwork that I find most interesting. Laying in savasana, using various breathing techniques, there is often a felt heart blockage. There is no emotional content in mind, just the opening of that potential, or so it feels. Sometimes the emotional content will "reveal" itself after the tears start, as in, "hey, this feels like XYZ...interesting".

The intuition, or imagination, leads to the idea that the shepherds crook is at play here.

ge0m0 said:
Konstantin said:

I cry all the time.

Woodsman said:
So I started cleaning.

I once broke into tears while scrubbing a toilet. Having spent much of the last 15 years doing various emotional/psychological clearing techniques, the poignancy of scrubbing crud off of a pristine, white toilet was all it took.

Laura said:
Konstantin said:
Some new symptoms developed. I feel some burning sensation in my thoat. The pain that i have is now completely gone but burning sensation developed. Its somewhere behind ot deep in the thyroid. I feels similar to sore throat but its more deep inside. And its changing from one to other side of the throat very fast. It started on the right side and now both sides are affected. Also my appetite is much bigger. I can still feel my heart beating harder. From today also some heaviness in the chest area( thymus area )

You may actually come down with a sore throat/cold as quite a few of us have. It seems that this may be part of the detox process.

Yeah, the sore throat normally leads to a cold/flu like situation - and that indeed seems to be part of the of the detox process. Hang in there Konstantin :hug: - things will only get better, and its definitely worth the effort.

Just an update since my last post on this topic (a month ago), I have been on 5 drops of Lugol's 12% (~28mg of Iodine) once daily with the co-factors & minerals, and its been working very well. After the initial big flu, and feelings of deep anger and anxiety - the 28mg has made everything work like clockwork, and I feel much much calmer & relaxed, and almost like a different person emotionally. As posted previously, I also am much more focused on the "now", and indulging in past hobbies & activities that have taken a back seat. Also notice better energy levels during exercises. Another interesting thing is that occasionally there will be some minor anxiety "flare-ups", but meditation and EE breathing techniques immediately "release" this anxiety. Its almost like Iodine has created a release valve for anxiety and negative energy. In the past I would have to meditate and practice breathing techniques for a at least 10-15 minutes to feel calmer, and now its immediate.

I've been contemplating doing a few DMSA rounds after the initial cold; however since the 5 drops are working well, ive decided to put it on hold - as I think 28mg seems to be the right dose for my body to detox, and maintain adequate energy & Iodine levels. Over the last 2 days I have increased the dose to 7 drops (~39mg of Iodine), once a day as an experiment, so far no adverse effects yet, and ill see how this goes. All in all still an amazing experience taking Iodine.

ge0m0 said:
Laura said:
If you've been reading carefully, how quickly peeps notice "action" after taking iodine, then you would not have come to this conclusion. It is pretty clear that iodine does NOT "act slow."

Now on a second round of iodine. First went for 2-3 weeks, then did DMSA (with no apparent reaction to DMSA on first round) for three days. This is the fourth day back on iodine (one dropper 2% lugols, twice per day...I worked up to that on the first round and found that beyond that was too much).

Do you mean a full dropper tube, or a drop?

Laura said:

This was also my experience. After only few days of 3 mg I developed a "cold" or humongous phlegm discharge. It took couple of weeks to clear.
After it cleared I restarted Lugol , this time 5 mg, got mild sore throat symptoms after few days. This has now cleared, I am continuing with Iodine for another few days and then I will start DMSA cycles.

Bobo08 said:
Laura said:
Bobo08 said:
I
My main detox symptom seems to be itchy rash. It happens 2 days after every time I tried to go above 4 drops a day and clears a few days afterwards if I stop the iodine. The other thing I notice is bleeding when I have bowel movement. In the past, it happened occasionally when I had too much fiber but it is constant now. My stomach is also rumbling a lot when I lie down.

This bleeding thing is a little concerning for me. I'm thinking the colon might be too inflamed with all the toxins trying to get out. So I'm planning to stop the iodine for a few days and start taking NAC, probiotics and increase the vitamin C to see if it helps. I would appreciate any thought anyone has on this as well.

Well, this IS concerning. It sounds to me like some kind of intestinal/bowel infection or infestation. Is it possible for you to get a colonoscopy and endoscopy?

Thanks everyone for your comments. I will start on chlorella as well, which I can get locally. As of now, I have stopped the iodine for 3 days and markedly increased vitamin C for 1 day. The stomach rumbling has mostly stopped. So that might be an encouraging sign.

Laura, I will give it a week to see if it goes away. If not then I'll get a colonoscopy and endoscopy as you advised.

A little update on my situation. For over a week, I've been taking chlorella, magnesium, ALA and vitamin C. I also eliminated as much fiber intake as was reasonable. At dinners, I take some 2 - 3 table spoons of instant mashed potato for carb. No carb other than that. I also stopped taking iodine during that time.

One day after I started on chlorella, I had the most terrible stiff neck episode in my life. For 4 - 5 days, I could hardly move my head relative to the body at all. That and very low energy, moodiness, etc. So I took vitamin C to bowel tolerance (about 30 g a day). The stiff neck has diminished to much lower level now, but it is still present. I never thought that chlorella could produce that strong detox reactions.

Due to the vitamin C and magnesium, I kept myself in a state of near diarrhea. It helped a lot with the bleeding, so much that the bleeding went away completely at the end of the week. So it seems to be a case of hemorrhoids affected by constipation/fiber.

I also went to the doctor and did a blood test. The test results came back all normal, except for cholesterol at 7.8 mol/L (ref 3.6 - 6.7) and ferritin at 133 ug/L. That, coupled with the improvement in the symptoms, convinced me that the colonoscopy is not really necessary.

So for now, I will continue with the regime of very low fiber, some carb in the evening, magnesium, NAC and probiotics. I will wait until the current detox reactions from chlorella to stop and then very slowly start back on iodine.

The sore throat symptom is changing very quickly. The intensity, the place in the throat. Last night i had a congested sinuses. So all that is somehow related to detox processes.
I`m out of Magnesium so the only available sources that i can get without waiting and order for a minimum 4 weeks is Magnesium chloride and magnesium oxide.
RedFox Mentiond Potassium about strong heart beating and body tremor. I took on dose of Potassium chloride when i first noticed this heart pounding but it only give me a diarrhea and heart pounding and tremor remain same.
I have this same symptom today also.
Salted water helps a little with the brain fog. Also the VIt C.
I had a really deep night sleep last night , but as soon i wake up heart pounding started and after a while i noticed tension in the eyes, left ear and sinuses. Some kind of pressure behind eyeballs .

I was still thinking about my" crazy lipid status" and tried to find some correlations between that and elevated THC.
So i find this:

_http://medind.nic.in/iaf/t06/i2/iaft06i2p153.pdf said:
These results suggest that the effect of hypothyrodism in the
lipid metabolism is more marked in patients with higher serum
TSH levels (TABLE). Even mild elevations of TSH are
associated with changes in lipid profile
significant enough to
raise the cardiovascular risk (7). The higher prevalence of
hypothyrodism among middle aged women, associated with
an increase in total plasma cholesterol. (8)This is in agreement
with our findings showing that hyperlipidimia is associated with
hypothyrodism. Hypothyroidism result in a small increase in
low density lipoprotein (LDL)-C, total serum cholesterol and
decrease in high density lipoprotein (HDL)-C that enhance

the risk for development of atherosclerosis and coronary artery
disease, there is no clear evidence to date that hypothyroidism
causes clinical heart disease. (9) Hypothyroidism increases
the oxidation of plasma cholesterol mainly because of (i) an
altered pattern of binding and (ii) due to the increased levels
of cholesterol, which presents substrate for oxidative stress.

Hypothyroidism is often accompanied by diastolic hypertension
that, in conjunction with the dyslipidemia, may promote
atherosclerosis. However, thyroxine therapy, in a thyrotropin
(TSH) suppressive dose, usually leads to a considerable
improvement of the lipid profile. (10) From this study it can be
concluded that hypothyrodism is associated with lipid disorders
that are characterized by normal or lightly elevated total
cholesterol levels, increased LDL-chol and lower HDL-chol

And something more came to my mind.

I`m having sinuses problem, well, for about my whole life. And i was using specific decongestant nasal drops every time i need the for many years. I was using naphasoline
Few moths ago for the first time in my life i read the package of it , and in its contest there was a Thiomersal or Thimerosal.
I was poisoning myself with mercury for many years. Sometimes i was using it every hour if had a cold or some sinus infection.

So now, iodine mobilized all that accumulated mercury and it went straight in to my bloodstream. I also have a lot of amalgam fillings in my mouth. I still have 2 of them.
As i researched a little heart palpitations and body tremor can be caused by mercury toxicity. So maybe some Chlorella will be a good thing to do. I just have to find a good source.

Bobo08 said:
A little update on my situation. For over a week, I've been taking chlorella, magnesium, ALA and vitamin C. I also eliminated as much fiber intake as was reasonable. At dinners, I take some 2 - 3 table spoons of instant mashed potato for carb. No carb other than that. I also stopped taking iodine during that time.

One day after I started on chlorella, I had the most terrible stiff neck episode in my life. For 4 - 5 days, I could hardly move my head relative to the body at all. That and very low energy, moodiness, etc. So I took vitamin C to bowel tolerance (about 30 g a day). The stiff neck has diminished to much lower level now, but it is still present. I never thought that chlorella could produce that strong detox reactions.

Due to the vitamin C and magnesium, I kept myself in a state of near diarrhea. It helped a lot with the bleeding, so much that the bleeding went away completely at the end of the week. So it seems to be a case of hemorrhoids affected by constipation/fiber.

I also went to the doctor and did a blood test. The test results came back all normal, except for cholesterol at 7.8 mol/L (ref 3.6 - 6.7) and ferritin at 133 ug/L. That, coupled with the improvement in the symptoms, convinced me that the colonoscopy is not really necessary.

So for now, I will continue with the regime of very low fiber, some carb in the evening, magnesium, NAC and probiotics. I will wait until the current detox reactions from chlorella to stop and then very slowly start back on iodine.

Very good example of paying attention to your body, taking corrective measures, observing results, and course correcting based on feedback. I am very relieved to hear this. It sounds like your body taught you some things about what it wants and needs!!! You may have a form of IBS that tends toward constipation and thus, high fiber foods would be very bad.

Symptomatic people consider exercise

Intermittent fastings combined with one or two fasted exercise, 60~90 minutes per week could be key to make physical symptoms much more mellow in strength. Copious sweating, increased heart rate, increased breathing rate where lots of water vapor leave the body, exposure to fresh strong country air, exposure to sunlight. Your body should have the golden opportunity to scoop out toxins freed up by iodine with greatly increased metabolic rate during one exercise per week at least! Hunter-gatherers chasing prey on hazardous terrain didn't stop:
- Hey, Guys! We reached our 30 minutes of exercise! Everybody Stop!
- But Boss, we caught nothing and we are hungry, the children and our wives are starving!
They had to chase prey, hungry, possibly on empty stomach, maybe fasted, maybe not eating for days, starving, freezing, they continued with "exercise" _and_ after that they did heavy weight lifting: carried home heavy prey, fowl, pigs, deer + their hunting equipment for miles and miles on end. Think about it..

Example of mine and my physical iodine symptoms are greatly lessened:

Going exercising in a fasted state: not eating for 16-24 hrs
- jogging, above 2 miles, interspersed with:
- sprinting 6 or 7 stretches in above distance
- 50 frog jumps 5x10 between above stretches
- 100 push ups divided up between above stretches
- 60 sit ups
- good stretching
and some karate to not forget the techniques

Daily Timetable:
Morning salt flush, wait 2 hrs, 50mg Lugols + 200~300mg KI, eat soon taking the - in this thread listed - supplements, wait 2 hrs, take couple of grams of Vit C, sometimes take EDTA (better in the evening)

Cold shocks every morning, cold adaptation, washing up with cold water only, using warmer water for showering only.

Getting only swollen lymph node pimples this way, which reduce and fall away after couple of days.

Emotional symptoms of course are present, rapid mentation, OCD-ing on posts more frequently, before I catch myself, but the inconvenient physical symptoms are almost unnoticeable.

Had only some memory-pains and memory-symptoms of all former sicknesses, which went away quickly. Had sharp needle-prodding pains in thyroid, before ignorantly not paying attention to above timetable = essential advice from fellows here who have read the book!

Bobo08 said:

That's great news Bobo, very glad to hear you've been able to sort that situation out. And a good idea on the probiotics. I'd keep them going for several weeks at least. You might want to get some Saccharomyces boulardi too and take one cap 3 times a day for 3 weeks.

Konstantin said:
I`m having sinuses problem, well, for about my whole life. And i was using specific decongestant nasal drops every time i need the for many years. I was using naphasoline
Few moths ago for the first time in my life i read the package of it , and in its contest there was a Thiomersal or Thimerosal.
I was poisoning myself with mercury for many years. Sometimes i was using it every hour if had a cold or some sinus infection.

So now, iodine mobilized all that accumulated mercury and it went straight in to my bloodstream. I also have a lot of amalgam fillings in my mouth. I still have 2 of them.
As i researched a little heart palpitations and body tremor can be caused by mercury toxicity. So maybe some Chlorella will be a good thing to do. I just have to find a good source.

You might try a glass of salted water for the fast heart beat instead. As for the mercury, chlorella might help, but mainly only for HMs in the gut. You need a good blood and tissue chelator like DMSA. Is it possible to have your two amalgams removed soon?

Joe said:
Konstantin said:

You might try a glass of salted water for the fast heart beat instead. As for the mercury, chlorella might help, but mainly only for HMs in the gut. You need a good blood and tissue chelator like DMSA. Is it possible to have your two amalgams removed soon?

I`m doing salted water up to 2 times a day. The best salt i could find is a iodided Himalayan salt. Its a big pinky crystals form.Its impossible to find unrefined salt here. My heart is not beating faster, just i can feel it more harder in my chestand my neck, and in my left ear, and tremor, shaking in the hands. Its a small shaking but its somehow related to this strong heart beating feeling. Its like some anxiety and hands start to shake a little, like tremor and heart beats very strong. I just measured the pulse and its 64 bpm. And i have done that since this started and its always in 60-70 bpm range.
I`ll see for some good Magnesium and chlorella suplements in local pharmacies today after work. I can remove those 2 amalgams ,but it will be regular dentist office and he removes them with ordinary dentist drill. I can do that anytime, but maybe i`ll wait until i feel little better and then i can remove them. I dont know if it will be very smart to overburden my system and its already in a disbalance.

Back
Top Bottom