Iodine and Potassium Iodide

Joe said:
Bobo08 said:
A little update on my situation. For over a week, I've been taking chlorella, magnesium, ALA and vitamin C. I also eliminated as much fiber intake as was reasonable. At dinners, I take some 2 - 3 table spoons of instant mashed potato for carb. No carb other than that. I also stopped taking iodine during that time.

One day after I started on chlorella, I had the most terrible stiff neck episode in my life. For 4 - 5 days, I could hardly move my head relative to the body at all. That and very low energy, moodiness, etc. So I took vitamin C to bowel tolerance (about 30 g a day). The stiff neck has diminished to much lower level now, but it is still present. I never thought that chlorella could produce that strong detox reactions.

Due to the vitamin C and magnesium, I kept myself in a state of near diarrhea. It helped a lot with the bleeding, so much that the bleeding went away completely at the end of the week. So it seems to be a case of hemorrhoids affected by constipation/fiber.

I also went to the doctor and did a blood test. The test results came back all normal, except for cholesterol at 7.8 mol/L (ref 3.6 - 6.7) and ferritin at 133 ug/L. That, coupled with the improvement in the symptoms, convinced me that the colonoscopy is not really necessary.

So for now, I will continue with the regime of very low fiber, some carb in the evening, magnesium, NAC and probiotics. I will wait until the current detox reactions from chlorella to stop and then very slowly start back on iodine.

That's great news Bobo, very glad to hear you've been able to sort that situation out. And a good idea on the probiotics. I'd keep them going for several weeks at least. You might want to get some Saccharomyces boulardi too and take one cap 3 times a day for 3 weeks.

Its a good news Bobo. As i can see iodine have a big impact on our bodies. Right now we are " cleaning our house" from the toxins that have accumulated over years. Hard and painful process , but it must be done. Just be strong, listen your body and network here. I believe that things will become better over time. :hug2:

Just an update on my iodine experience.

Been on 2 drops of Lugols 5% twice a day since early December. Stayed at that dose for 2 weeks before increasing to 3 drops twice a day. Also added selenium @200mcg a day at this time. Everthing went well, no notable reactions, with the exception of quite a few added cherry angiomas. Always had these and they are only pinhead sized or smaller, so no drama.

At the start of January, increased to 4 drops twice a day. Each increase in dose has seen hunger increase also, but this returns to normal after a day or so. Libido, so testosterone as well I assume, has also increased. Chlorella @ 1 teaspoon a day was also added at this dose. Decided to stay at this amount of 50mg rather than keep increasing. Based on what others have said, it seems you are better to walk rather than run using this protocol.

All was going well until the other day, when I woke in the night feeling sick in the stomach. In the morning, I had loose bowels and again in the afternoon. The next day was back to 3 drops twice and things were OK. Tried 4 drops twice again yesterday and woke up this morning to pain in what felt like the intestines. Had a small normal bowel movement, but the pain persisted. After taking my usual half teaspoon of warm salt water, I had extra glasses of water following, probably about 5 or 6. It took a while for urination to begin, but the pain subsided and ended in around 2 hours or so. Even though this produced a lot of urine that thoroughly flushed my system, the urine still had colour and odour till the end, which is unusual for me. Had loose bowels again in the afternoon.

So today it's back to 3 drops twice and see how it goes. Will reduce the dose further if necessary, or even try pulse dosing. Interesting that it took over 3 weeks at 50mg to produce this detox result.

From what I have researched, my symptoms seem to indicate bromine detox. Some posters over at curezone have reported iodine taking time to release tissue/organ stores of bromine. The fact that significant urination ended my pain may indicate the kidneys or bladder/prostate were irritated, not the intestines.

It may have taken a dose of 50mg for a time for my body to release bromine (or perhaps I had an iodine transport defect that repaired over time). Dr Brownstein refers to a patient in his book who did just that.

Iodine Why You Need It - Why You Can't Live Without It said:
Bob, a 42-year-old accountant, had been taking 12.5mg of iodine/iodide for two years. Bob could not tell a difference upon taking the iodine. Although he generally felt well, he complained of being fatigued. His initial salivary/serum level was low at 9.3. Bob’s testing also showed that his serum bromide levels were elevated—147mg/L (normal <5mg/L). I increased Bob’s iodine dosage to 50mg/day. Immediately, he felt a boost in his energy. “I thought I was feeling pretty good until I increased the iodine. Then I really felt good. After work I wasn’t so exhausted,” he said. Bob’s follow-up testing showed that his salivary/serum iodide levels improved to a healthier 48.6 and his bromine level fell to 28.7mg/L

One thing I've been contemplating is taking the lugols as a single dose in the morning. In this way, the body has all day to excrete whatever is released, with less chance of accumulating greater amounts of toxins overnight, which have to wait until the next morning to pass. I can't recall reading anywhere in Brownstein's book where he used split dosing.

Konstantin said:
Im out of Magnesium so the only available sources that i can get without waiting and order for a minimum 4 weeks is Magnesium chloride and magnesium oxide.

I know in the magnesium group i'm in on FB many people there use the Magnesium crystals in the bath OR as a spray (really easy to make) and i've had really good effects with both.

The stuff they use is sold as a sort of 'de-icer' but seems to be ok for external and topical use.

eg: Magnesium Chloride Pellets

Magnesium chloride deicing/anti-icing pellets

But if you can get hold of Epsom salts that should also work and no worries about whether it's contaminated - though as mentioned, it seems many people use these magensium flakes/pellets instead of buying the same product from a health store, which is where i've been buying mine from.

To make the spray you just fill a spray bottle with the flakes then add water (any will do), shake it till it dissolves and then spray on the area you're having trouble with, OR spray it on the soles of your feet and wear socks to bed, apparently the feet absorb more effectively.

itellsya said:
Konstantin said:
Im out of Magnesium so the only available sources that i can get without waiting and order for a minimum 4 weeks is Magnesium chloride and magnesium oxide.

I know in the magnesium group i'm in on FB many people there use the Magnesium crystals in the bath OR as a spray (really easy to make) and i've had really good effects with both.

The stuff they use is sold as a sort of 'de-icer' but seems to be ok for external and topical use.

eg: Magnesium Chloride Pellets

Magnesium chloride deicing/anti-icing pellets

But if you can get hold of Epsom salts that should also work and no worries about whether it's contaminated - though as mentioned, it seems many people use these magensium flakes/pellets instead of buying the same product from a health store, which is where i've been buying mine from.

To make the spray you just fill a spray bottle with the flakes then add water (any will do), shake it till it dissolves and then spray on the area you're having trouble with, OR spray it on the soles of your feet and wear socks to bed, apparently the feet absorb more effectively.

I can only get a Magnesium Oil ( Mag Chloride ). And i`m using it , not regulary but when i can get it. I`ll continue with it and i`l get some Mag for oral use that is more bioavailable. like Mag citrate, or malate or glycinate or something simillar.

Thank you :)

Laura said:
Do you mean a full dropper tube, or a drop?

Dropper. It's about 10-12 drops. I started at two drops, twice per day. Then 4, then 8, then full dropper, then two droppers twice per day. At the highest dose it was too much emotionally. I backed down to a single dropper (10-12 drops) twice per day. I occasionally miss the second dose if scheduling doesn't work out.

Normally a bit dispassionate (possibly due to 15+ years of meditation, breathwork, chi-gong, yoga, etc.), which can feel like depression except there's still energy to get things done...but if there's nothing to do, nothing gets done. There's also the depression that comes from being objective and compassionate. These are not the same as the self-loathing and despair that was felt at the higher dose (somewhere in the 120-150 mg/day range...50-60 feels better). Backing down returned a sense of dispassion that I am used to.

Konstantin said:
I can remove those 2 amalgams ,but it will be regular dentist office and he removes them with ordinary dentist drill. I can do that anytime, but maybe i`ll wait until i feel little better and then i can remove them. I dont know if it will be very smart to overburden my system and its already in a disbalance.

That sounds reasonable. Doing a few cycles of DMSA will be a good idea too.

Supersmart.com also sells DMSA which ships to several places in the world.

Gaby said:
Konstantin said:
I can remove those 2 amalgams ,but it will be regular dentist office and he removes them with ordinary dentist drill. I can do that anytime, but maybe i`ll wait until i feel little better and then i can remove them. I dont know if it will be very smart to overburden my system and its already in a disbalance.

That sounds reasonable. Doing a few cycles of DMSA will be a good idea too.

Supersmart.com also sells DMSA which ships to several places in the world.

Thanks Gaby ,i`ll try to get it as soon as i feel better.

Today afternoon brain fog is reduced, and i think i now understand what happened with that my blood test lipid status that was as the doctor said "unbelievable". :read:
I write a post about it in a Ketogenic DIet Thread

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,28799.msg628966.html#msg628966

Well, what is Unbeliveable is how doctors today are under a huge influence of the big Pharma as you have already mention Gaby, and that majority of them dont know nothing about that. The big Pharma lies and manipulations that are presented to them is just that, a big lie and a thousands of lives are destroyed because of that. ;)

Bobo08 said:
Due to the vitamin C and magnesium, I kept myself in a state of near diarrhea. It helped a lot with the bleeding, so much that the bleeding went away completely at the end of the week. So it seems to be a case of hemorrhoids affected by constipation/fiber.

I had hemorrhoids a couple of years ago and used this with very good results:

_http://www.amazon.com/Mayinglong-Hemorrhoids-Ointment-Cream-Value/dp/B000F34TCC/

I can attest to it being a weird pink smelly goop, but it worked to get rid of them and I haven't had any since. I can't recall now if I only needed a single 3 pack or two of them, but it wasn't more than that. I think it took about a week or two to clear up. So if the Vitamin C and Magnesium didn't clear them up completely, that might be worth a shot.

Glad to hear that you're starting to feel better! :)

sitting said:
Hi Joe,

For the past two and a half weeks, I've been itching all over like I've never experienced before. I initially chalked it up to air dryness, but am now convinced it's something more. Very hard not to scratch -- even though I know this makes it worse.

But thankfully no lesions though.

FWIW.

If you have any MCT oil or coconut oil rubbing some into the itchy areas might help, it sure helps my itchiness. I use MCT.

I thought I'd mention I have not, aside from one single evening of overproduction in the nose (helped by essential oils), been sick yet since beginning to take iodine and other supplements. This surprises me because I was very sick for much of last winter, and more so because people around me were sick for weeks in December. Even if it happens in the future it tells me I've made things easier.

I've added things like chlorella and krill oil, boron (really seemed to make a difference the day I started taking it, my knees, feet and palms can take more, don't know if that is coincidence/placebo effect or the real deal) and S. boulardii, milk thistle and nigella sativus. Vit. C, naturally. I have been taking 12.5 mg of iodoral, not everyday.

Effects I've felt are hard to pin down. I feel jittery at some points in the day but I might get like that - particularly after work or after posting for whatever reasons (or no reason)
My upper back sometimes gets tense, but then it gets better. My heart sometimes races (right now it isn't), but sometimes I gorge on food: I noticed with S. Boulardii (though I started that two days ago) that I didn't have cramps that night! Might be too soon to say (and probably not a good idea to experiment by overeating, but it will happen).

will01 said:
From what I have researched, my symptoms seem to indicate bromine detox. Some posters over at curezone have reported iodine taking time to release tissue/organ stores of bromine. The fact that significant urination ended my pain may indicate the kidneys or bladder/prostate were irritated, not the intestines.

They do sounds like detox. Are you taking any liver/kidney support? Maybe try milk thistle and a detox teas like dandelion root or something similar. Maybe up the salt water/water during the day.

diligence said:
boron (really seemed to make a difference the day I started taking it, my knees, feet and palms can take more, don't know if that is coincidence/placebo effect or the real deal)

These are common observations from taking boron. It does the same thing for my mother. After a recent surgery she has swollen, hot knees that would get sore after short periods of walking. After she started taking boron at ~6mg per day the swelling and heat went away, and the pain is mostly gone. She experimented with the dose and determined there didn't seem to be any benefit from going over 6mg.

monotonic said:
diligence said:
boron (really seemed to make a difference the day I started taking it, my knees, feet and palms can take more, don't know if that is coincidence/placebo effect or the real deal)

These are common observations from taking boron. It does the same thing for my mother. After a recent surgery she has swollen, hot knees that would get sore after short periods of walking. After she started taking boron at ~6mg per day the swelling and heat went away, and the pain is mostly gone. She experimented with the dose and determined there didn't seem to be any benefit from going over 6mg.

In my experience it has the same effect in old artritic dogs, with 3mg a day after a week owners report significant improvement.

m said:
sitting said:
Hi Joe,

For the past two and a half weeks, I've been itching all over like I've never experienced before. I initially chalked it up to air dryness, but am now convinced it's something more. Very hard not to scratch -- even though I know this makes it worse.

But thankfully no lesions though.

FWIW.

If you have any MCT oil or coconut oil rubbing some into the itchy areas might help, it sure helps my itchiness. I use MCT.

Thank you.

Yes, I've been using it and it has helped a great deal. Coconut oil has been my go to remedy and diet supplement for many years now. I love this stuff.

Joe said:
will01 said:

They do sounds like detox. Are you taking any liver/kidney support? Maybe try milk thistle and a detox teas like dandelion root or something similar. Maybe up the salt water/water during the day.
Oh Yeah, forgot to mention the milk thistle, thanks Joe. Been taking 1 300mg capsule a day for about 10 days so far. It also contains 100mg of dandelion root and 50mg of artichoke. Drinking plenty of water as well.

Things seem to be OK again at 6 drops of 5% lugols.

When I'm sure things are settled down again, I'll try a few rounds of DMSA. Never tried it before and have had it and the co-factors on hand for a while now.

Back
Top Bottom