Iodine and Potassium Iodide

Hi everyone, I want to get started supplementing iodine. I've read Brownstein's book and I'm slowly getting through this thread.
I've found something for sale in a local pharmacy called Aqueous Iodine Solution APF. The lady there said that it's basically Lugol's as Lugol's is a brand.

http://www.davidcraig.net.au/products/general-medicines/aqueous-iodine-solution/1246/

Iodine 5% w/v
Potassium Iodide 10% w/v

If this is OK, how much iodine would be in one drop?
6.25mg?

Thank you!

(note: the website says potassium iodine but the bottle says potassium iodide)

Carl said:
Nima said:
It’s really good to know that everyone has to find out what works for them and their body. After reading many members taking much more iodine than I was, I wondered if my intake might be too low. But I think the low amount works well for me.

I have noticed some sugar cravings, which is very unusual for me. I really dislike most sweets in general. I did a search and found out Joe recommended garlic, so I will try that.

Quick question about vinegar. I know apple cider vinegar is healthy and many members take it with different protocols, but what about regular vinegar? Especially pickled stuff? I know that apple cider vinegar has more magnesium, potassium and sodium. But is regular vinegar harmful or just weaker?

Yeah, it sure makes it a personal adventure for everyone - no wonder it is no easy task to regain one's health!

I stay away from all vinegars generally due to histamine intolerance, but you should be fine with most vinegars if you're not sensitive. Malt vinegar (the dark stuff) is made with barley though, which is a gluten grain.

I'd avoid all vinegars except high quality apple vinegar because of possible gluten/pesticides. As far as I know only apple vinegar contains beneficial bacteria.

Rhythmik said:
Iodine 5% w/v
Potassium Iodide 10% w/v

6.25mg?

Yes, that would be 5% Lugol's Solution with 6.25mg of iodine per drop.

I like the poison warning on the bottle. I wonder what it's supposed to poison you with. Must be the water.

Rhythmik said:
Hi everyone, I want to get started supplementing iodine. I've read Brownstein's book and I'm slowly getting through this thread.
I've found something for sale in a local pharmacy called Aqueous Iodine Solution APF. The lady there said that it's basically Lugol's as Lugol's is a brand.

http://www.davidcraig.net.au/products/general-medicines/aqueous-iodine-solution/1246/

Iodine 5% w/v
Potassium Iodide 10% w/v

6.25mg?

One drop (0.05 ml / 50 mg) will contain 2.5mg (5% of 50 mg) elemental iodine and 5mg potassium iodide (10% of 50mg). 5 mg of potassium iodide contains about 3.85 mg of iodine (and 1.15 mg of potassium). So one drop contains a total of 6.35mg (2.5 + 3.85) iodine.

It's probably a mistake the name of the molecule containing iodine (I) and potassium (K) is potassium iodide (KI)

Felipe4 said:
What i have experienced is neck pain as i have had a neck problem for years now, my neck is stiff and the disk that hurts is killing me sometimes.

I would do one drop every other day and see if this pains get relieved. There might be other factors involved, but it seems the detox is aggravating it.

In case of detox symptoms, slowly but surely also does it.

I'd avoid all vinegars except high quality apple vinegar because of possible gluten/pesticides. As far as I know only apple vinegar contains beneficial bacteria.

Not sure if if it was mentioned. I would go with the "raw" unrefined apple cider vinegar. Braggs makes an excellent quality one with the "Mother" containing all the beneficial bacteria. :)

Rhythmik said:

Iodine 5% w/v
Potassium Iodide 10% w/v

6.25mg?

Thank you!

Since it is listed as 5% Iodine, it would comparable to 5% lugols, so 6.3225 mg/drop, so yeah approx 6.25 mg/drop.

I've noticed my eyebrows getting thicker since starting the Lugols. Thinning eyebrows are a sign of low thyroid function so this is good. I also used iodine to clear up a small patch of ringworm(?), a fungal infection, on my hand.

Also, for the last 2 weeks I've been in this emotional state, as others have mentioned, of being very sensitive to anything negative, sad and may cry easily. So, I've avoided different subjects that arise in the media for one. I've been feeling very low, depressed, without motivation, blank and I wonder why this is such a symptom of the iodine use. I know there is speculation here about this. It makes sense this could be from detox, mobilizing toxins would cause depression I'd think. I also wonder if the iodine may make one more prone to notice the affects of emf that surround us. If you live in a city/town etc. we certainly live in a soup of that stuff. Wishful thinking has me hoping for "I'm activating new dna strands" !!! But its probably just toxins :(.

Would this be a good question for the C's? Why this emotional and depressing side affect?

I'm still at the low dose of 5mg, one drop per day and take breaks for 3 days at a time. I may give it a break for a week or more to see if my mood improves.

Hi everybody. Today I got my hormone analysis and here are the results:

FT4: 16.5 (Normal: 10.0 - 25.0)

TSH: 11.5 (0.4 - 4.0)

Anti-TPO-AB: <10 (<35)

Calcitonin: 2.5 (<13.8)

As you can see, only the TSH is elevated. Everything else is normal. And in fact, my FT4 is much better then on three previous analysis (before it was 22.23, 21.05 and 22.92). Some labs use 22 as a upper limit for FT4 so doctors were always a little concerned about that.

My endocrinologist naturally diagnosed me with a hypothyroidism and prescribed me a 50mcg of Tivoral (Euthyrox).

What can I say, I really don't have a luck with timing because this is exactly that Dr Brownstein said that can happen when you start the iodine protocol - TSH rises to transport the extra iodine. Or maybe it was meant to be, maybe I had to see the ignorance of the doctors in the first hand. So now I officially have tachycardia with hypothyroidism, an interesting combination, don't you think?

But just to be sure, I would like ask you, should I take these hormone tablets?

About how I feel: ever since I increased the dosage to 3 drops I feel a slight soreness in my thyroid. It is not painful, and I don't feel it all the time, it just comes and goes. What is interesting is that at the same time I felt an improvement in my hearth condition. Not big, but it is noticeable.

Right now I am taking 6 drops per day and don't have any big negative symptoms like I did when I just started the protocol.

I would like to gradually increase my dose to 8 drops (50mg) to kill the possible negative microorganisms, but now I want to ask you is that still a good idea?

I have another scheduled hormone analysis in two months.

Persej said:
[...]I would like to gradually increase my dose to 8 drops (50mg) to kill the possible negative microorganisms, but now I want to ask you is that still a good idea?

Hi Persej, as Gaby says, better to take it slowly, better not to rush, be very careful when increasing the dosage, if i may i would like to share my experience as an example why you should be very careful when increasing the dosage, so i made a very stupid mistake, at the beginning when i started the iodine protocol i was taking low doses and after a month and a half i suddenly increased the dosage considerably for 4-5 days then decreased it and so on for at least a month, i didn't experience strong detox side effects till 2 week ago, when i got a very severe cold(such strong headaches i didn't experience in years), i immediately lowered the dosage to 1 drop of lugol's iodine, i still have the cold but I'm feeling better now, to be honest i don't think that it was only a cold what i mean is that most probably those were very strong detox reactions so finally i learned my lesson, the hard way. Go slowly Persej and good luck.

Persej said:
My endocrinologist naturally diagnosed me with a hypothyroidism and prescribed me a 50mcg of Tivoral (Euthyrox).

What can I say, I really don't have a luck with timing because this is exactly that Dr Brownstein said that can happen when you start the iodine protocol - TSH rises to transport the extra iodine. Or maybe it was meant to be, maybe I had to see the ignorance of the doctors in the first hand. So now I officially have tachycardia with hypothyroidism, an interesting combination, don't you think?

But just to be sure, I would like ask you, should I take these hormone tablets?

Taking the hormones would be a bad idea, it might worsen the tachycardia. It was a bad timing in the sense that you're still within the 6-8 months from starting iodine. The next tests, scheduled in two months, might still be abnormal. I wouldn't worry too much just as long as the thyroid hormones stay in range. You really don't have hypothyroidism symptoms and this seems to be typical case described in Dr. Brownstein's book. Something to keep an eye on, but not something that requires prescription meds.

As for the iodine dose, as Andre' says, it is better to go slowly but surely. No need to rush things out. Your body is adjusting.

SummerLite said:
I'm still at the low dose of 5mg, one drop per day and take breaks for 3 days at a time. I may give it a break for a week or more to see if my mood improves.

When did you started the iodine? Has your mood being particularly bad for the last two weeks, or was it also bad when you started?

Do you feel better by the second day when you stopped iodine? Do you feel better by the third day when you re-take your drop of iodine?

Sometimes it is hard to distinguish between iodine withdrawal and detox symptoms. Once the strongest detox symptoms are gone through, sometimes it is better to take iodine on alternative days to prevent iodine withdrawal.

This is a concept we are going to touch in tomorrow's Health and Wellness show at SOTT radio network. We're interviewing Lynne Farrow, author of The Iodine Crises. I encourage everyone to give it a listen. The show was pre-recorded but I think we managed to get quite a lot of the FAQ questions in there.

Thank you Andre. Maybe I should stick with 6 drops until my thyroid soreness disappears, and then increase my dose. The last month I was increasing my dose by 1 drop per week, with one or two days of pause in between. I had small headaches in the first couple of weeks, but now nothing.

Gaby said:
Taking the hormones would be a bad idea, it might worsen the tachycardia. It was a bad timing in the sense that you're still within the 6-8 months from starting iodine. The next tests, scheduled in two months, might still be abnormal. I wouldn't worry too much just as long as the thyroid hormones stay in range. You really don't have hypothyroidism symptoms and this seems to be typical case described in Dr. Brownstein's book. Something to keep an eye on, but not something that requires prescription meds.

Ok. Thank you Gaby. Yes, the next test is also too soon, but what can I do. At least I can use it as another guideline.

As for the iodine dose, as Andre' says, it is better to go slowly but surely. No need to rush things out. Your body is adjusting.

Yes, I will remain on 6 drops for some more time. Thank you.

Thanks Gaby, I believe I've been taking the iodine for about 3 months now at this low dose without symptoms over all. My mood has been noticeable bad for the last 2 weeks. When I first started the iodine, I experienced the same mood when I over did the dosage so I backed way down. It took perhaps 5 days to get back to my usual self which is usually fairly positive and stable I'd say. I do feel better after stopping the iodine but as I say, nothing has really stood out all this time. Perhaps I'm not eliminating the toxins sufficiently and there is a build up going on.

This is the very first time I've heard about the iodine withdrawal symptoms...hmmm, I must have missed that somewhere. I'll listen to the show, thanks.

SummerLite said:
This is the very first time I've heard about the iodine withdrawal symptoms...hmmm, I must have missed that somewhere. I'll listen to the show, thanks.

For me it was a first timer too. In any case, I would see about enhancing the detox system with cilantro or chlorella and liver protection, replacing minerals too. If you don't feel better, an experiment of iodine every two days or every other day (instead of three days) will help clarify if it is iodine withdrawal or not. If you feel better, is good. If not, probably detox symptoms need more working. It might also be a natural phase you're going through.

Hope you feel better and learn something new from the experience.

Back
Top Bottom