Iodine and Potassium Iodide

Just a short question: is there a point in ingesting iodine (Lugol's) at all when it seems to work well after being applied transdermally? That's my case at least; i can clearly feel iodine circulating and doing its job in just minutes after rubbing in 3-4 drops near my ankle. Yellow stains disappear within further 30 minutes or so which makes me assume the iodine gets absorbed completely after this time.

Ingesting the Lugol's seems to have less effect for me and also doesn't feel "right" for the digestive tract.

lostinself said:
Just a short question: is there a point in ingesting iodine (Lugol's) at all when it seems to work well after being applied transdermally? That's my case at least; i can clearly feel iodine circulating and doing its job in just minutes after rubbing in 3-4 drops near my ankle. Yellow stains disappear within further 30 minutes or so which makes me assume the iodine gets absorbed completely after this time.

Ingesting the Lugol's seems to have less effect for me and also doesn't feel "right" for the digestive tract.

How fast Iodine evaporates off the skin is often referred to as a test to indicate one's current level of Iodine in the body (so if it evaporates quickly, one's deficient in Iodine--if it evaporates slowly, one has enough Iodine), however it's not considered to be a very reliable test. So, your results could potentially suggest that you are very, very deficient in Iodine and that's why your body's absorbing it so quickly. Considering the role that Iodine can play in killing pathogens and mobilizing heavy metals, that could also be why it doesn't feel "right" when ingesting, if it's causing a negative reaction due to pathogen killing and/or mobilizing heavy metals.

In addition, I think something like 80+% of the Iodine evaporates when applied to the skin, so it's not the most efficient method for absorption and you're likely not absorbing very much and probably not enough overall with that method. It could also even potentially feel like it has less of an effect when ingesting it if you have a lot of pathogens and, as the Cs said, the iodine you're ingesting is just feeding them and not eliminating them, resulting in them absorbing it without leaving any for your body to utilize.

So, there's likely a point to taking more, however it's hard to say exactly what's going on in your specific situation and what the reaction would be like if you decided to take it internally and/or up the dose. Either way though, I'd say it's quite likely that based on your dosage and method of consumption, it's very possible that you're not getting enough.

If you decide to move to internal consumption of Iodine, be sure to read the entire thread first to avoid any pitfalls and end up doing harm to yourself, since Iodine can induce very powerful effects.

lostinself said:
Just a short question: is there a point in ingesting iodine (Lugol's) at all when it seems to work well after being applied transdermally?

Those who feel better using transdermal iodine might be iodine sensitive and/or have too many detox symptoms when using it orally.

When there is significant troubleshooting with oral iodine, it is best to start topically:

Sensitive to Iodine? - The Heel Dosing Technique

_http://lynnefarrow.net/sensitive.html

https://www.sott.net/article/313795-The-Health-Wellness-Show-The-Iodine-Crisis-Interview-with-Lynne-Farrow

Now you'll hear a myth, because there was a study out there, that iodine is not really absorbed through the skin. It is! We've had so many people report back how effective it's been. One of the people was a 30 year old woman who had three children and she would just fall asleep when she got home from work and her husband would make the meals for the kids and everything. She was just using it on her heels and all of a sudden she just sprang up and became a normal person and had the energy to make meals and help with the household responsibilities. So that's something you might try as an alternative to taking the Lugol's or the Iodoral by mouth.

After transdermal use, tolerance to oral iodine can be tried later.

Thanks for your helpful responses Foxx and Gaby. I've been following this thread on and off but i'm still clearly undereducated about iodine and all the related details.

When i mentioned the oral ingestion feeling "not right", i didn't mean bad detox effects - which were minimal after drinking Lugol's - but rather how it felt somewhat heavy and uneasy for my digestive system. No nausea or anything, just this sensation of it being not the best thing to do. Perhaps some of my gut inhabitants don't like it and some do as the iodine must end up somewhere. Last time i drank a solution of 6 drops of Lugol's and didn't feel any change in how i was feeling.

Heal dosing, on the other hand, produces pretty normal and predictable effects for me which match those described earlier in this thread. Nothing too dramatic, except perhaps depressive thoughts spinning out of control sometimes and a general feeling of being mentally weaker.

The Lugol's i'm using is very weak (1% or so) so it keeps me wondering why i feel the effects after just 4 drops applied on skin. I must be indeed very deficient or super sensitive to it. Anyway, i'll just stick to heal dosing for now, experimenting with the amount and the frequency.

Hi, I have started taking iodine.
Since the session about it I took some iodine by putting iodine tincture on my skin sometimes.

For getting rid of my brain fog and chronic fatigue:

I started 21th of march this year a diet with very few carbs. The week after I did a hard flu, three days without eating: a good way for detox.

I continued the 9th of april with starting taking Lugol 12%. I take with it:
- One glass of water with half a tea spoon of coarse salt of Guérande (France) the morning
- Two tablet of 120 mg each of vitamine C (acerola) during the day
- And one pill of Selenium the evening

For the Lugol, the first two weeks, I took one drop the morning, every two days. Because I had sensible tonsils and ears (like otitis).
Once my tonsils and ears went near normal, I started taking one drop more each week.
I am taking now 4 drops each morning.

This protocol didn't change anything for now. I intend to continue some weeks.
If you have advice, I would likely take it. Many thanks

Heaalih said:
Since the session about it I took some iodine by putting iodine tincture on my skin sometimes.

For getting rid of my brain fog and chronic fatigue:

I started 21th of march this year a diet with very few carbs. The week after I did a hard flu, three days without eating: a good way for detox.

I continued the 9th of april with starting taking Lugol 12%. I take with it:
- One glass of water with half a tea spoon of coarse salt of Guérande (France) the morning
- Two tablet of 120 mg each of vitamine C (acerola) during the day
- And one pill of Selenium the evening

For the Lugol, the first two weeks, I took one drop the morning, every two days. Because I had sensible tonsils and ears (like otitis).
Once my tonsils and ears went near normal, I started taking one drop more each week.
I am taking now 4 drops each morning.

This protocol didn't change anything for now. I intend to continue some weeks.

Others may have more suggestions but, for myself, i found higher doses of vitamin c very helpful - i believe we're working with 1000mg/1g doses. When my schedule permits it, i'll take up to three a day (3gs/3000mgs in total), working on one every 40 minutes. It can interfere with digestion of food and increase iron uptake if taken too close - i think you need to leave at least 30 minutes, minimum.

You have to listen to your body though, the tummy gurgle will tell you you've hit your limit, and even just taking 1g once a day is probably better than the 240g you are currently taking. Remembering to take it away from the iodine, which i think you may already be doing, is important; I usually leave it at least 3 hours then take the vitamin c. It has many, many other benefits not just related to the iodine protocol too.

You can use the search function in the top right to see the comments regarding it's benefits, or use the print button and then the 'find' function to review what's been said already.

itellsya said:
Heaalih said:
[...]

Others may have more suggestions but, for myself, i found higher doses of vitamin c very helpful [....]

You can use the search function in the top right to see the comments regarding it's benefits, or use the print button and then the 'find' function to review what's been said already.

Hi Heaalih, it occurred to me that you are also missing a magnesium supplement - magnesium malate may help with the fatigue - as well as a probiotic which would be very good to be taking in the evenings a few hours after food/just before sleep; the selenium i take in the morning. Perhaps review the thread another time to get an idea of what other people are doing as well as the reasons and benefits for those. Magnesium supports a variety of processes in the body, and healthy gut flora relates to the gut-brain connection, so if you're interested in remedying your brain fog, they will probably help. Update us with how you get on too :)

Others mentioned that taking iodoral (the lugol's in capsule form) instead of the liquid, did not give them as many side effects. So I tried it yesterday and today, just one tiny pill each day after breakfast, and it did not give me the heart palpitations and anxiety that lugol's does. I did it for testing, so since it went ok, I'll try taking the iodoral now every other day, and see how it goes.

For the last month and a half, I've been shaking both during EE and during the day if I actively focus my attention on the emotional energy that is mostly located in my chest area. This has never happened before I started taking iodine, though I can't confirm if it's related to iodine. Peter Levine wrote in his book that shaking is related to release of emotional energy that got stuck due to trauma.

Alana said:
Others mentioned that taking iodoral (the lugol's in capsule form) instead of the liquid, did not give them as many side effects. So I tried it yesterday and today, just one tiny pill each day after breakfast, and it did not give me the heart palpitations and anxiety that lugol's does. I did it for testing, so since it went ok, I'll try taking the iodoral now every other day, and see how it goes.

That would explain why patients of Dr Brownstein didn't have side effects, like many people here did.

Anthony said:
For the last month and a half, I've been shaking both during EE and during the day if I actively focus my attention on the emotional energy that is mostly located in my chest area. This has never happened before I started taking iodine, though I can't confirm if it's related to iodine. Peter Levine wrote in his book that shaking is related to release of emotional energy that got stuck due to trauma.

Interesting. Now, I wonder what will happen when we also introduce the crystal therapy into the mix. :)

FWIW, Lynne Farrow on the sott radio health show mentioned that idoral sometimes has differing concentrations.

A while before that show, I recall reading another article mentioning that the processing used to make the pills can be inaccurate.

Divide By Zero said:
FWIW, Lynne Farrow on the sott radio health show mentioned that idoral sometimes has differing concentrations.

A while before that show, I recall reading another article mentioning that the processing used to make the pills can be inaccurate.

Well, like I said, I switch around with my iodine dosing, one day taking one form/strength and the next another, skipping a day now and then. I use iodine tincture mixed in DMSO as a cream on my chest and neck every night (smell goes away by morning). The basic system I've settled into is this: In the mornings, I take an iodine form, 1 gram of niacinamide, four fish oil/omega 3 gels. In the evenings, I take magnesium, trace minerals, probiotics, vitamin E and milk thistle. At bedtime, melatonin and "GABA Calm". I sleep well and things seem to be stabilizing though I am suffering a bit from having to sit at my desk for so many hours working.

itellsya said:
itellsya said:
Heaalih said:
[...]

Others may have more suggestions but, for myself, i found higher doses of vitamin c very helpful [....]

Hi Heaalih, it occurred to me that you are also missing a magnesium supplement - magnesium malate may help with the fatigue - as well as a probiotic which would be very good to be taking in the evenings a few hours after food/just before sleep; the selenium i take in the morning. Perhaps review the thread another time to get an idea of what other people are doing as well as the reasons and benefits for those. Magnesium supports a variety of processes in the body, and healthy gut flora relates to the gut-brain connection, so if you're interested in remedying your brain fog, they will probably help. Update us with how you get on too :)

Thank you for your advices itellsya !

In view of some adverse effects reported by some people, I'm collecting here possible clues of the root of the problem.

_http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/iodine12345/

What about problems patients have reported with iodine use?

Some patients have reported an aggravation of their Hashimotos symptoms after using iodine. In fact, some European and Asian countries have an explosion of Hashimoto’s cases due to immense iodine supplementation in food.

On the other side the coin, certain studies and intelligent analysis report that autoimmune problems associated with iodine use actually are the result of low selenium levels, as well as low copper or low zinc. This underscores the need for supporting nutrients. Patients also repeatedly report that their antibodies went down thanks to their iodine use! [...]

Can I use iodine when I have low cortisol?

Some adrenals patients report a worsening of their sluggish adrenal/HPA function due to the important toxin release caused by iodine use. But other adrenal patients report that the proper use of the same supporting nutrients mentioned above overcame the problem, and they were even able to lower their HC.

[...]

FACTS ABOUT IODINE AND AUTOIMMUNE THYROIDITIS by Guy E. Abraham, M.D. (This article comes to the conclusion, as bolded at the end, that iodine is not the direct cause of Hashimotos, but lack of. )

In 1912, pathologist H. Hashimoto published in the German language and in a German medical journal (1), his histological findings in four thyroid glands removed at surgery: numerous lymphoid follicles; extensive connective tissue formation; diffuse round cell infiltration; and significant changes of the acinar epithelium. He called this pathology of the thyroid “struma lymphomatosa”, but it became popular under the name “Hashimoto Thyroiditis”.

At the time of Hashimoto’s publication, autoimmune thyroiditis was not observed in the U.S. population until the iodization of salt.

Hashimoto’s thyroiditis is now classified as goitrous autoimmune thyroiditis AIT because the gland is enlarged, in distinction to atrophic autoimmune thyroiditis where atrophy and fibrosis are predominant. Both conditions are chronic, progressing over time to hypothyroidism in a significant percentage of Patients (2).

In several communities worldwide, an increased incidence of AIT was reported following implementation of iodization of sodium chloride (3). In areas of the United States where this relationship has been studied, mainly in the Great Lakes Region, a similar trend was reported. In 1966 and 1968 Weaver et al (4,5) from Ann Arbor Michigan reported: “The salient histopathological feature of the thyroid glands, removed at operation in a five-year period before iodine prophylaxis (1915 to 1920), was the paucity of lymphocytes in their parenchyma, and, more importantly, the absence of thyroiditis of any form” “It should be emphasized that the thyroid glands prior to the use of iodized salt were devoid of lymphocytes, and nodular colloid goiters with dense lymphocytic infiltrates were found after the introduction of iodized salt in 1924”.

Furszyfer et al (6), from the Mayo Clinic, studied the average annual incidence of Hashimoto’s thyroiditis among women of Olmsted County, Minnesota during 3 consecutive periods covering 33 years of observation, from 1935 to 1967. They found the incidence to be higher in women 40 years and older versus women 39 years and less. However, in both groups, there was a progressive increase in the incidence of Hashimoto’s thyroiditis over time. During the 3 periods evaluated, that is 1935-1944; 1945-1954; 1955-1967; the average annual incidence of Hashimoto’s per 100,000 population were 2.1; 17.9; and 54.1 for women 39 years and less. For women 40 years and older, the average annual incidence over the same 3 periods were: 16.4; 27.4; and 94.1.

It is important to point out that the Mayo Clinic study started 10-15 years after implementation of iodization of salt in the area. Therefore,even during the first decade of observation, the prevalence of autoimmune thyroiditis was already significant.

Again, it must be emphasized that prior to the implementation of iodized salt as observed by Weaver, et al,(4.5) this pathology of the thyroid gland was not reported in the US, even though the Lugol solution and potassium iodide were used extensively in medical practice at that time in daily amount two orders of magnitude greater than the average intake of iodide from table salt.

It is of interest to note that prior to iodization of salt, AIT was almost non-existent in the USA, although Lugol solution and potassium iodide were used extensively in medical practice in amounts 2 orders of magnitude greater than the average daily amount ingested from iodized salt (2). This suggests that inadequate iodide intake aggravated by goitrogens, not excess iodide, was the cause of this condition. To be discussed later, AIT cannot be induced by inorganic iodide in laboratory animals unless combined with goitrogens, therefore inducing iodine deficiency.

The pathophysiology of AIT is poorly understood. Experimentally induced autoimmune thyroiditis in laboratory animals by acutely administered iodide required the use of antithyroid drugs, essentially goitrogens, to produce these effects (7-10). These goitrogens induced thyroid hyperplasia and iodide deficiency. Antioxydants either reduced or prevented the acute iodide-induced thyroiditis in chicks (11) and mice (12). Bagchi et al (11) and Many et al (12) proposed that the thyroid injury induced by the combined use of iodide and goitrogens occurs through the generation of reactive oxygen species.

We have previously proposed a mechanism for the oxidative damage caused by low levels of iodide combined with antithyroid drugs (2): Inadequate iodide supply to the thyroid gland, aggravated by goitrogens, activates the thyroid peroxydase (TPO) system through elevated TSH, low levels of iodinated lipids, and high cytosolic free calcium, resulting in excess production of H2O2. The excess H2O2 production is evidenced by the fact that antioxidants used in Bagchi’s experiments did not interfere with the oxidation and organification of iodide and therefore neutralized only the excess oxydant (11). This H2O2 production is above normal due to a deficient feedback system caused by high cytosolic calcium due to magnesium deficiency and low levels of iodinated lipids which requires for their synthesis iodide levels 2 orders of magnitude greater than the RDA for iodine (2). Once the low iodide supply is depleted, TPO in the presence of H2O2 Molar and organic substrate reverts to its peroxydase function which is the primary function of haloperoxydases, causing oxidative damage to molecules nearest to the site of action: TPO and the substrate thyroglobulin (Tg). Oxydized TPO and Tg elicit an autoimmune reaction with production of antibodies against these altered proteins with subsequent damage to the apical membrane of the thyroid cells, resulting in the lymphocytic infiltration and in the clinical manifestations of Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. Eventually, the oxidative damage to the TPO results in deficient H2O2 production.

Hypothyroidism occurs in AIT when oxidation and organification of iodide in the thyroid gland become deficient enough to affect synthesis of thyroid hormones.In vitro studies with purified fractions of calf thyroid glands by De Groot et al (13) gave compelling evidence that iodide at 10-5 Molar confers protection to TPO against oxidative damage. To achieve peripheral levels of 10-5 Molar iodide, a human adult needs a daily amount of 50 to 100 mg.

DeGroot’s findings can be summarized as follows:1. TPO is inactivated by H2O2.2. KI at 10-5 Molar protects TPO from oxidative damage.3. Potassium Bromide and Potassium Fluoride do not share this protective effect of KI.4. The protective effect of KI is not due to the covalent binding of iodine to TPO but due to the presence of KI itself in the incubation media. Based on the above facts, it is obvious that iodine deficiency, not excess, is the cause of AIT.

The suggested dose to avoid oxidative damage in susceptible individuals for Hashimoto's seems to be particularly high, specially if there is significant release of toxins with just a low dose of iodine. Replenishing the suggested nutrients is very important. Prevention seems to be the key. Once there is a triggered thyroid autoimmune disease due to troubleshooting, it can be very tricky to manage.

Iodine and Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, Part I

_http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/05/iodine-and-hashimotos-thyroiditis-part-i/

Mario Renato Iwakura is a Brazilian engineer and Hashimoto’s thyroiditis patient who is intimately familiar with the hypothyroidism literature. Mario has graciously agreed to do a guest series on the place of iodine and selenium supplementation in treatment of hypothyroid disorders. I’m very excited to have Mario’s thoughts, as he’s extremely smart and passionately engaged with the science. — Paul

Most doctors believe that iodine supplementation will aggravate autoimmune (Hashimoto’s) thyroiditis. This view is supported by observations that the incidence of Hashimoto’s hypothyroidism tends to increase in populations that increase their iodine intake. (The incidence of hyperthyroidism, on the other hand, increases as iodine intake decreases.). However not all epidemiological studies support this association [1][2][3][4].

Dr. Datis Kharrazian (“Dr. K”), whose 2010 book “Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms?”[5] is popular among Hashimoto’s patients, vehemently opposes the use of iodine in Hashimoto’s [5][6][7]. Chris Kresser of The Healthy Skeptic [8] has argued this point of view in his post “Iodine for hypothyroidism: like gasoline on a fire?”. And there’s little doubt that some patients have experienced bad consequences from high-dose iodine.

On the other side, doctors such as Dr. Guy E. Abraham [9], Dr. David Brownstein [10], Jorge D. Flechas [11] and Dr. David Derry [12] have claimed success prescribing high doses of iodine for Hashimoto’s and for breast and thyroid cancers.

Can these experiences by reconciled? What we will try to do is demonstrate that iodine acts synergistically with selenium, and that it is imbalances between the two that damage the thyroid.

First, Some Background

Thyroid peroxidase or thyroperoxidase (TPO) is an enzyme expressed mainly in the thyroid that liberates iodine for addition onto tyrosine residues on thyroglobulin (TG) for the production of the thyroid hormones thyroxine (T4) or triiodothyronine (T3).

The human body normally has low levels of auto-antibodies against both TG and TPO, which serve some physiological function. Autoimmune thyroiditis features high levels of these auto-antibodies, leading to immune attacks on the thyroid.

High levels of thyroid auto-antibodies are positively associated with hypothyroidism symptoms [13][14]. TPO antibodies and TSH levels are strongly associated with progression of subclinical hypothyroidism to overt hypothyroidism [3], as can be see in Table 3 below:

Selenium Can Cure An Iodine Excess

Dr. K said in his book and site that “iodine stimulates the production and activity of the thyroid peroxidase (TPO) enzyme” [5][7]. Since TPO is a target of autoimmune attack in Hashimoto’s patients, this might worsen the disease [5][6][7]. In his book he also states that excessive iodine will shut down TPO activity [5], but he neither cites a reference nor states what level of iodine intake will cause this to happen.

In fact, excess iodine combined with selenium insufficiency will reduce (not increase, not shut down) TPO activity [15]. Let’s look at a study that had seven groups: normal iodine and lab-chow selenium only (NI), excess iodine and lab-chow selenium only (EI), and five groups with excess iodine and steadily increasing levels of selenium added to water (IS1 to IS5). TPO activity was reduced by excess iodine (EI), but returned to control levels (NI) with moderate selenium (IS1 and IS2). With excess iodine and excessive selenium (IS3 to IS5), TPO activity was also decreased, as we can see from table 2 below.

Some other studies have also demonstrated this reduced TPO activity at high iodine intakes [23][24].

This study [15] also showed a picture (fig. 1) of thyroid follicles from rats receiving normal iodine diet (NI), excessive iodine (EI) and excessive iodine plus 0.2 mg/L selenium (IS2). Thyroid follicles from the excessive iodine group (EI) are enlarged, a characteristic of goiter. But, there is virtually no difference between the first and last picture! If selenium and iodine are increased together, no goiter occurred.

Mario-1c.jpg

Note that the IS2 level of selenium, which protects against iodine toxicity, corresponds in a person who drinks 1-2 liters per day to a selenium dose of 200 to 400 mcg per day – which happens to be the Perfect Health Diet “plateau range” for selenium.

Selenium Can Cure Autoimmunity

Another paper, also from China, looked at the effects of selenium in an animal model of iodine induced autoimmune thyroiditis [16].

There were three groups of mice, a healthy control group, and groups with iodine induced autoimmune thyroiditis without (AIT) and with (AIT+Se) selenium. The AIT+Se group was given high iodine (AIT only) for 8 weeks to induce the disease, and then, for 8 weeks more, they were given iodine plus selenium. After 8 weeks of selenium supplementation their thyroid follicles were almost fully recovered, as we can see below, even though high-dose iodine had continued:

Mario-1d.jpg

The AIT group has enlarged cells characteristic of goiter and dead tissue; the AIT-Se group thyroid section resembles a normal thyroid. Thyroid weight doubled in the AIT group, proof of goiter, but returned to normal after selenium supplementation.

Before selenium was given to the AIT+Se group, serum TgAb antibodies were elevated, but they returned to normal after selenium supplementation:

Mario-1e.jpg

An interesting aspect of this study was the changing population of immune cells. A specialized subpopulation of T cells, negative regulatory T cells or Tregs, helps establish and maintain self-tolerance by suppressing response to self-antigens and suppressing excessive immune responses deleterious to the host. Deficits in Treg cell numbers or function lead to autoimmune diseases [17].

In this study, CD4+CD25+Foxp3+ Treg Cells were reduced by high iodine, but returned much of the way toward normal after 8 weeks of selenium even though high iodine intake continued. The implication is that selenium-iodine balance may be needed to maintain proper Treg cell populations, and that selenium supplementation may restore normal regulation of autoimmunity.

Mario-1f.jpg

The researchers concluded:

“In the present study, we observed that Se supplementation increased the frequency of CD4+CD25+Foxp3+ T cells and enhanced expression of Foxp3 in vivo. These changes were accompanied by suppressed TgAb titers and reduced thyroiditis. Thus the benefit of Se treatment may be due to the increase of CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells.”

Under What Circumstances Does Excess Iodine Induce Autoimmunity?

In the previous study high doses of iodine were used to induce autoimmune thyroiditis. Let’s look more closely into the circumstances in which that happens.

It’s often said that excessive iodine in Hashimoto’s triggers an immune response characterized by proliferation of T lymphocytes, a disrupted Th1/Th2 axis, and altered CD4/CD8 levels. Pathogenesis of autoimmune disease is believed to begin with the activation of T cell autoaggression (turning them into “allergized T cells”).

Our next study, also from China, showed that excess iodine can indeed cause such an autoimmune pathology, but only if there is a deficiency in selenium [18].

Mice in 5 groups were orally administrated different combinations of iodine and selenium for 30 days. Four groups had no selenium but varying amounts of iodine in their water: 0 μg/L (group I), 1500 μg/L (group II), 3000 μg/L (group III), and 6000 μg/L (group IV). The fifth group had 6000 μg/L iodine plus 0.3 mg/L selenium (group V).

In Group IV, high-dose iodine at 6000 μg/L caused a proliferation of lymphocytes. But this was completely abolished by the addition of selenium to water in Group V:

Mario-1g.jpg

Normally there are relatively stable population of T cells and their subgroups in tissue till immune function is in disorder. As we can see from Fig. 1, increasing iodine increased T lymphocytic reproductive activity, and was clearly high in group IV. But group V, which also received selenium, had the same values as the control group (I).

Mario-1h.jpg

Subjects with Hashimoto’s also have a lower ratio of CD4+ to CD8+ lymphocytes than controls [19][20]. From fig. 2, we can see that iodine supplementation in groups II and III actually increased the CD4+ to CD8+ ratio, until the onset of autoimmune symptoms at very high doses in Group IV when the ratio decreased. However, group V, which had the highest iodine intake but with selenium as well, had the highest CD4+ to CD8+ ratio of all groups. This suggests that high-dose iodine and selenium together may actually diminish the autoimmune syndrome compared to the low levels in the controls.

Another marker of autoimmune thyroiditis is the relative strength of the Th1 and Th2 responses, as indicated by the markers interferon-gamma and interleukin-4 (Th2). Th1(IFN-γ)/Th2(IL-4) ratios are increased in Hashimoto patients [21][22], and related with severity of Hashimoto’s disease [22].

As we can see from Fig. 3, the group with the highest iodine intake but no selenium (IV) was the only group that had clearly higher Th1/Th2 ratio. High iodine plus selenium in group V had similar Th1/Th2 ratios than control group (I).

The researchers concluded:

“The results revealed that there was no significant difference in the immunotoxicity between interventional group (group V) and control group (group I), indicating that adequate selenium has a favorable interventional effect on excessive iodine intake.”

Conclusion

Excess iodine intake can cause an autoimmune thyroiditis that bears all the characteristics of Hashimoto’s. However, in animal studies this occurs only if selenium is deficient or in excess. Similarly, in animal studies very high iodine intake can exacerbate a pre-existing autoimmune thyroiditis, but only if selenium is deficient or in excess.

With optimal selenium status, thyroid follicles are healthy, goiter is eliminated, and autoimmune markers like Th1/Th2 ratio and CD4+/CD8+ ratio are normalized over a wide range of iodine intake. It seems that optimizing selenium intake provides powerful protection against autoimmune thyroid disease, and provides tolerance of a wide range of iodine intakes.

In the next post in this series (Iodine and Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, Part 2, May 26, 2011), we’ll transition from animals to humans. Does epidemiological evidence suggest that these animal findings are transferable to humans?

Back
Top Bottom