Iodine and Potassium Iodide

Iodine and Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, Part 2

_http://perfecthealthdiet.com/category/nutrients/iodine-and-selenium/

Mario Renato Iwakura’s guest series on the place of iodine and selenium supplementation in treatment of hypothyroidism continues. This is part 2. Thank you Mario! – Paul

In Part I (Iodine and Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, Part I, May 24, 2011) we looked at evidence from animal studies that iodine is dangerous to the thyroid only when selenium is deficient or in excess, and that optimizing selenium status allows the thyroid to tolerate a wide range of iodine intakes. In fact, there were some hints (such as an improved CD4+/CD8+ T cell ratio) that high iodine, if coupled with optimal selenium, might actually diminish autoimmunity.

If that holds in humans too, we should expect that populations with healthy selenium intakes should see a low incidence of thyroid disease and no effect from iodine intake on the incidence of Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. Is that the case?

Korean Study

Dr. K [1] quotes a Korean study [3] of Hashimoto’s patients. Half restricted iodine intake to less than 100 mcg/day, the other half ate their normal seaweed and iodine. Of the 23 patients who restricted iodine, 18 (78%) became euthyroid in the sense of having TSH below 4.43 mIU/L, while only 10 (46%) of the 22 that did not restrict iodine became euthyroid. There was no measurement of symptoms at all, and no report of thyroid antibody titers after iodine restriction, so we don’t know if the iodine restriction relieved the underlying autoimmune disorder.

The selection of subjects for the two groups was odd. Group 1, the iodine restricted patients, had an extremely wide range of starting TSH, averaging 38 mIU/L but with a standard deviation of 82 mIU/L. Since all subjects began with TSH above 5 mIU/L, it’s clear that many of the Group 1 members had TSH near 5 and others had TSH well over 100 mIU/L. In comparison, Group 2, the controls, averaged a TSH of 11 mIU/L with a standard deviation of 11 mIU/L – less than 1/7 the standard deviation of Group 1. Few Group 2 members had a TSH above 30.

Table 2 presents the results. Mean TSH in Group 1 was reduced a little, but it did not even come close to normal. Since 78.3% of Group 1 had TSH below 4.43 mIU/L after 3 months, the other 21.7% had to have averaged a TSH above 102.2 mIU/L at the conclusion of the study. The standard deviation of Group 1 TSH at the end of 3 months of iodine restriciton was 71 mIU/L.

Meanwhile, Group 2 members still had a much lower standard deviation at the end of the study: 19 mIU/L.

A conclusion of this study was that “the initial serum TSH concentration was significantly lower in the recovered patients than in the non-recovered patients, which suggests that the possibility of recovery is increasingly rare as the initial hypothyroidism becomes more severe.” Since Group 1 originally had a much larger fraction of members with very low TSH than Group 2 (plus a few with extremely high TSH to raise the average TSH), and the definition of recovery was a reduction of TSH to 4.43, perhaps it is not surprising that a higher fraction of Group 1 recovered.

Further calling into question the conclusion that lower iodine intake is beneficial is another observation. Looking at Table 1, we see that Group 2 (controls) had, at baseline, much higher iodine intake and higher urinary iodine excretion. Despite this, goiter size, TSH, antimicrosomal (MSAb) and antithyroglobulin (TGAb) antibodies were all lower!

A Japanese Study

A similar study with similar results was done in Japan [4].

In Asia, high iodine intake is due to high consumption of seaweed. Seaweed is high in naturally produced bromine compounds [5][6][7], arsenic [9][12][13], and mercury [9], and can accumulate radioactive iodine [8][9][10][11]. All these substances are known to interfere with thyroid function.

Bromide levels in urine in Asia are very high and are associated with seaweed consumption [6][7]. Values of 5 to 8.1 mg/l have been observed among Japanese, and 8 to 12 mg/l among Koreans.

It is quite possible that any benefits from “iodine restriction,” i.e. seaweed restriction, were due to reduced intake of bromine, arsenic, mercury, and radioactive iodine.

A China Study

Dr. Kharrazian [2] cites a study done in China [14] comparing three different areas: one with iodine deficiency (Panshan), another where iodine is more than adequate (Zhangwu) and a third where iodine is excessive (Huanghua). More than adequate and excessive iodine was associated with increased risk for subclinical and overt hypothyroidism.

But, another study [15], done in the same regions, showed that, coincidentally, Huanghua, the region with excessive iodine, and Zhangwu, the region with more than adequate iodine, had lower median serum selenium concentrations than Panshan, where iodine was deficient. Blood selenium concentrations were 83.2, 89.1 and 91.4 microg/L, respectively. So iodine consumption was inversely related to selenium consumption. Was it lower iodine, or higher selenium, that was beneficial?

TPOAb antibody levels were inversely associated with selenium levels. Patients with the highest TPOAb antibodies (>600 UI/ml) had lower selenium levels than patients with moderate and lower TPOAb antibodies (respectively 83.6, 95.6 and 92.9 UI/ml). [15]

Studies from Brazil, Sri Lanka, Turkey, and Greece

Dr K also cites a rise in Hashimoto’s incidence in Brazil, Sri Lanka, Turkey and Greece after salt iodinization began. Are these countries deficient in selenium? Well, lets see:

Brazil: The study was done in São Paulo, a city with a large Brazilian-Japanese population. Brazilian-Japanese have significant lower levels of Se than Japanese living in Japan [16].

Greece: Selenium status is one of the lowest of the Europe [17].

Turkey: Selenium status of Turkish children is found to be unusually low, only 65 ng/ml in boys and 71 ng/ml in girls [18]. Turkey is characterized by widespread iodine deficiency and marginal selenium deficiency [19].

Sri Lanka: Significant parts of the Sri Lankan female population may be selenium deficient [20].

One study, done in Egypt, measured iodine excretation in urine and its relation with thyroid peroxidase antibody (TPOAb) [21]. Although the abstract said that a significant correlation was found, this is far from reality, as we can see from Fig. 2.

Another study from Brazil [2] measured urinary iodine excretation and serum TPOAb and TgAb antibodies from 39 subjects with Hashimoto’s, none of whom were receiving treatment at the time of the study. Both antibody titers had no obvious correlation with urinary iodine.

Two discordant epidemiological studies

From the Netherlands, we have a prospective observational study looking at whether the female relatives of 790 autoimmune thyroid disease patients would progress to overt hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism [22].

Although the relationship was not considered statistically significant, they found that women with high iodine intake (assessed through questionnaires) were 20% less likely to develop thyroid disorders.

Another study from western Australia (a region that has previously been shown to be iodine replete) measured urinary iodine concentration (UIC) of 98 women at 6 months postpartum and checked their thyroid status both postpartum and 12 years later [23]. UIC at 6 months postpartum predicted both postpartum thyroid dysfunction and hypothyroidism 12 years later:

Mario-2g.jpg

The researchers concluded:

The odds ratio (OR) of hypothyroid PPTD with each unit of decreasing log iodine was 2.54, (95%CI: 1.47, 4.35), and with UIC < 50 lg/l, OR 4.22, (95%CI: 1.54, 11.55). In the long term, decreased log UIC significantly predicted hypothyroidism at 12-year follow-up (p = 0.002) … The association was independent of antibody status.

In short, the more iodine being excreted (and thus, presumably, the more in the diet and in the body), the less likely were hypothyroid disorders – not only at the time, but also 12 years later.

Dangers of selenium supplementation in iodine deficiency.

Selenium supplementation when iodine and selenium deficiencies are both present can be dangerous, as the experience in northern Zaire, one of the most severely iodine and selenium deficient population in the world, shows [25].

Schoolchildren and cretins were supplemented for 2 months with a physiological dose of selenium (50 mcg Se per day as selenomethionine). Serum selenium was was very low at the beggining of the study and was similar in schoolchildren and in cretins (343 +- 190 nmil/L in schoolchildren, n=23, and 296 +- 116 nmol/L in cretins, n=9). After 2 months of selenium supplementation, the massive decrease in serum T4 in virtually every subject can be seen in fig. 4 below:

Mario-2h.jpg

In schoolchildren, serum free thyroxin (fT4) decreased from 11.8 +- 6.7 nmol/L to 8.4 +- 4.1 nmol/L (P<0.01); serum reverse triiodothyronine (rT3) decreased from 12.4 +- 11.5 nmol/L to 9.0 +- 7.2 nmol/L; mean serum T3 and mean TSH remained stable. In cretins, serum fT4 remained the same or decreased to an undetectable level in all nine cretins; mean serum T3 decreased from 0.98 +- 0.72 nmol/L to 0.72 +- 0.29 nmol/L, and two cretins who were initially in a normal range of serum T3 (1.32-2.9 nmol/L) presented T3 values outside the lower limit of normal after selenium supplementation; mean serum TSH increased significantly from 262 mU/L to 363 mU/L (p<0.001).

Another previous similar trial, this time done in 52 schoolchildren, reached the same results: a marked reduction in serum T4 [26][27]. This previous trial “was shown to modify the serum thyroid hormones parameters in clinically euthyroid subjects and to induce a dramatic fall of the already impaired thyroid function in clinically hypothyroid subjects” [27].

What stands out is the difference in the results between euthyroid schoolchildren and cretins/hypothyroids. Two months of selenium supplementation was probably not enough time to affect significantly the thyroid of the euthyroid schoolchildren (although already impacted T4 and fT4). But, in cretins and hypothyroids, where the thyroid was already more deficient, the impact was evident.

Conclusion and What I Do

Iodine and selenium are two extremely important minerals for human health, and are righly emphasized as such in the Perfect Health Diet book and blog. I believe they are fundamental to thyroid health and very important to Hashimoto’s patients.

A survey of the literature suggests that Hashimoto’s is largely unaffected by iodine intake. However, the literature may be distorted by three circumstances under which iodine increases may harm, and iodine restriction help, Hashimoto’s patients:

Selenium deficiency causes an intolerance of high iodine.
Iodine intake via seaweed is accompanied by thyrotoxic metals and halides.
Sudden increases in iodine can induce a reactive hypothyroidism.

All three of these negatives can be avoided by supplementing selenium along with iodine, using potassium iodide rather than seaweed as the source of iodine, and increasing iodine intake gradually.

It’s plausible that if iodine were supplemented in this way, then Hashimoto’s patients would experience benefits with little risk of harm. Anecdotally, a number have reported benefits from supplemental iodine.

Other evidence emphasizes the need for balance between iodine and selenium. Just as iodine without selenium can cause hypothyroidism, so too can selenium without iodine. Both are needed for good health.

A few months after I was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s I started 50 mg/day iodine plus 200 mcg/day selenium. If I were starting today, I would follow Paul’s recommendation to start with selenium and a low dose of iodine, and increase the iodine dose slowly. I would not take any kelp, because of potential thyrotoxic contaminants.

Currently I’m doing the following to try to reverse my Hashimoto’s:

PHD diet and follow PHD book and blog advices to enhance immunity against infections, since infections seems to be implicated in Hashimoto’s pathology [28][29][30]. I give special attention to what Chris Masterjohn calls “traditional superfoods”: liver and other organs, bones and marrow, butter and cod liver oil, egg yolks and coconut, because these foods are high in minerals, like iodine, zinc, selenium, copper, chromium, manganese and vanadium, all of which seems to play a role in thyroid health [31];
High dose iodine (50mg of Lugol’s) plus 200 mcg selenium daily. These I supplement because of their vital importance to thyroid and immune function;
3 mg LDN (low dose naltrexone) every other day to further increase immunity. LDN resources are listed below [32][33][34][35][36];
Avoiding mercury and other endocrine disruptors. When I removed 9 amalgams (mercury), my TPO antibodies increased for 3 months and took another 6 months to return to previous values. I also avoid fish that have high and medium concentrations of mercury. Cod consumption increased my TPO antibodies;
1g of vitamin C daily. Since it seems to confer some protection against heavy metal thyroid disfunction [37], improve thyroid medication absorption [38] and there is some evidence that it could improve a defective cellular transport for iodine [39];
Donating blood 2 to 3 times per year. In men, high levels of iron seems to impact thyroid function [40].

Well, in the end nothing really new that we already didn't know. Perhaps just highlighting the importance of detoxing mercury and of supplementing selenium and other minerals along with iodine. One must proceed with care when aiming for a 50mg dose of iodine within the context of Hashimoto's. Probably 50mg in the form of potassium iodide would be easier.

Anthony said:
For the last month and a half, I've been shaking both during EE and during the day if I actively focus my attention on the emotional energy that is mostly located in my chest area. This has never happened before I started taking iodine, though I can't confirm if it's related to iodine. Peter Levine wrote in his book that shaking is related to release of emotional energy that got stuck due to trauma.

It could be a combination of both. Are there any memories or feelings that come up during those times? How much iodine are you taking daily and are you taking days off during the week?

Divide By Zero said:
FWIW, Lynne Farrow on the sott radio health show mentioned that idoral sometimes has differing concentrations.

A while before that show, I recall reading another article mentioning that the processing used to make the pills can be inaccurate.

For my case, I don't mind this at all. I have stopped lugol's for about a month and each time I tried it again, it wasn't working for me. It also seems that my thyroid has been taking whatever it needed because the TSH returned to its normal range. So now I take the iodoral for maintenance and as long as there is some iodine/iodide in it, I am satisfied. If other people have problems taking lugol's and iodoral works for them, I think it is a good alternative. We all could use any extra iodine/iodine, so many organs in our body depend on it so as the whole system can function properly.

Gaby, thanks for the extra info. It was interesting to read, since I began feeling better after taking zinc and selenium (which showed low in the metal testing) on a daily basis. It might be that this is what makes it ok now to take the iodoral without any problems.

Menrva said:
Anthony said:
For the last month and a half, I've been shaking both during EE and during the day if I actively focus my attention on the emotional energy that is mostly located in my chest area. This has never happened before I started taking iodine, though I can't confirm if it's related to iodine. Peter Levine wrote in his book that shaking is related to release of emotional energy that got stuck due to trauma.

It could be a combination of both. Are there any memories or feelings that come up during those times? How much iodine are you taking daily and are you taking days off during the week?

I've been taking 3 drops (18.9mg) daily for some time now, though I've also taken higher doses without any detox reactions (up to 200mg). I haven't been taking days off during the week, will do so this week. I do not have specific memories that come up, it's emotional energy that starts in the chest, then sort of moves down to my stomack which then starts to tense up and I start to shake.

Gaby,

Thanks for these updates. They are full of important details I think.

Gaby said:
Iodine and Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, Part 2

_http://perfecthealthdiet.com/category/nutrients/iodine-and-selenium/

[snip...]

Selenium deficiency causes an intolerance of high iodine.
Iodine intake via seaweed is accompanied by thyrotoxic metals and halides.
Sudden increases in iodine can induce a reactive hypothyroidism.

All three of these negatives can be avoided by supplementing selenium along with iodine, using potassium iodide rather than seaweed as the source of iodine, and increasing iodine intake gradually.

It’s plausible that if iodine were supplemented in this way, then Hashimoto’s patients would experience benefits with little risk of harm. Anecdotally, a number have reported benefits from supplemental iodine.

Other evidence emphasizes the need for balance between iodine and selenium. Just as iodine without selenium can cause hypothyroidism, so too can selenium without iodine. Both are needed for good health.

[snip...]

I noticed the one detail above "Iodine intake via seaweed is accompanied by thyrotoxic metals and halides.". Do you think that supplementing with Chlorella or Spirulina could be counterproductive because of the thyrotoxic metals and halides? I am wondering if just supplementing with the Lugols and selenium would maybe be better.

goyacobol said:
I noticed the one detail above "Iodine intake via seaweed is accompanied by thyrotoxic metals and halides.". Do you think that supplementing with Chlorella or Spirulina could be counterproductive because of the thyrotoxic metals and halides? I am wondering if just supplementing with the Lugols and selenium would maybe be better.

I think it is important to make sure that your chlorella or spirulina doesn't contain heavy metals, at least not above the permitted allowance. The supplier should specify it and/or have a certificate of quality available.

Alana said:
For my case, I don't mind this at all. I have stopped lugol's for about a month and each time I tried it again, it wasn't working for me. It also seems that my thyroid has been taking whatever it needed because the TSH returned to its normal range. So now I take the iodoral for maintenance and as long as there is some iodine/iodide in it, I am satisfied. If other people have problems taking lugol's and iodoral works for them, I think it is a good alternative. We all could use any extra iodine/iodine, so many organs in our body depend on it so as the whole system can function properly.

Hello Alana,
I have been taken Iodoral tablet since December 2015. It working for me fine.
I started with 12.5mg, and eventually increased to 150mg.

Each time I had to increase 12.5mg, because old thing was healing but then some new things developed.
Such as,
Blister- inside my lower lip.
Sniffling- it seems runny nose but nothing was there.
Tears- something ooze from mainly left eye but it seems more heavy than tears.
All symptom were stopped when I increased dose each time.

When I reached 150mg, everything was fine and I had lots energy. I keep at this does for a while.
But then my teeth felt loose and gum felt sore and top of that I start to felt cold, it was so cold that felt in my bone too. Even when I woke up from two heavy goose down comforter.

At that point, I drop down tablet to 125mg. And for a while everything seems perfect.
And then body felt cold again. So, drop down to 100mg. And so on....
Until come down to 25mg.
Right now I feel good.

I know this Iodoral tablet is working good, because my son. He had lots lots skin rashes on his upper arms, but all was clear up when he took about 3 months 50mg each day's.

I bought raw Brazil nuts and keep in freezer, then crack open one per day to eat.

Alana said:
I have stopped lugol's for about a month and each time I tried it again, it wasn't working for me. It also seems that my thyroid has been taking whatever it needed because the TSH returned to its normal range. So now I take the iodoral for maintenance and as long as there is some iodine/iodide in it, I am satisfied. If other people have problems taking lugol's and iodoral works for them, I think it is a good alternative. We all could use any extra iodine/iodine, so many organs in our body depend on it so as the whole system can function properly.

Gaby, thanks for the extra info. It was interesting to read, since I began feeling better after taking zinc and selenium (which showed low in the metal testing) on a daily basis. It might be that this is what makes it ok now to take the iodoral without any problems.

Yes, same for me and notice this in the article quoted:

I've mentioned a number of times that I take the lugols iodine only occasionally now and usually take KI - even in the higher doses like 130 mg. Works well, don't have any reactive symptoms. Plus, I mix tincture of iodine into DMSO and smear it on myself every night before bed. It's clear that there are ideal cases for lugols but as we've learned with everything else, everyone is different and paying attention to your body and learning all you can about the situation is the way to go safely.

Je continue mon régime Paléo avec :
Directement au lever le matin : ½ cuillère à café de sel marin Celtic dans un grand verre d'eau
Petit déjeuner : 2 cuillerées à café de Glycine qui sucre mon thé
Directement après le petit-déjeuner : 1 comprimé super vitamine B complexe, 1 comprimé sélénium , Lugol 5 gouttes 12% dans un verre d'eau
Directement après le déjeuner midi : Chardon-Marie 1 comprimé ou 1 comprimé de NAC
Dans l'après-midi : 1 cuillerée à café Vitamine C dans un verre d’eau
Avant de dormir : magnésium 1 comprimé
Et je me suis aperçue hier que mon oreille droite ne faisait plus souffrir alors que même des spécialistes n'ont rien pu faire pour me soulager depuis 4 ans maintenant qu'avec des gouttes OTIPAX et crème LOCOÎD...
Je ne boite plus et peux marcher normalement mais sur de petites distances, je suis même aller à pied chez mon dentiste mais je suis revenue fatiguée et douloureuse...

I continue my Paleo diet with:
Directly up in the morning: ½ teaspoon of Celtic sea salt in a glass of water
Breakfast: 2 teaspoons of sugar that Glycine my tea
Directly after breakfast: 1 tablet super vitamin B complex, selenium 1 tablet, Lugol 5 drops 12% in a glass of water
Directly after lunch Afternoon: Thistle 1 tablet or 1 tablet of NAC
In the afternoon: 1 teaspoon Vitamin C in a glass of water
Before sleep: 1 tablet Magnesium
And I realized yesterday that my right ear was no longer suffer when even specialists were powerless to relieve me for 4 years now with drops OTIPAX and Locoid cream. . .
I box more and can walk normally but over short distances, I even walk to my dentist but I came back tired and painful. . .

Gaby said:
Dr K also cites a rise in Hashimoto’s incidence in Brazil, Sri Lanka, Turkey and Greece after salt iodinization began.

I noticed one problem with salt - it is iodinised with potassium iodate (KIO3) which isn't quite safe for humans.

Michał said:
Gaby said:
Dr K also cites a rise in Hashimoto’s incidence in Brazil, Sri Lanka, Turkey and Greece after salt iodinization began.

I noticed one problem with salt - it is iodinised with potassium iodate (KIO3) which isn't quite safe for humans.

Yes. Most of the normal salt you get, has iodine and fluoride added to it, but as Brownstein explains in his book Iodine : Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It, much of that form of iodine isn't even usable for the body. In short it is a bad idea to use that salt to get you iodine or salt intake (papers also proof that iodine in that form does not really help).

There are plenty of salt sources out there, where iodine and fluoride is not artificially added. When we speak about salt we speak of that kind of salt OSIT.

PERLOU said:
Directement au lever le matin : ½ cuillère à café de sel marin Celtic dans un grand verre d'eau
Petit déjeuner : 2 cuillerées à cafe qui sucre mon théé de Glycin
Directement après le petit-déjeuner : 1 comprimé super vitamine B complexe, 1 comprimé sélénium , Lugol 5 gouttes 12% dans un verre d'eau
Directement après le déjeuner midi : Chardon-Marie 1 comprimé ou 1 comprimé de NAC
Et je me suis aperçue hier que mon oreille droite ne faisait plus souffrir alors que même des spécialistes n'ont rien pu faire pour me soulager depuis 4 ans maintenant qu'avec des gouttes OTIPAX et crème LOCOÎD...
Je ne boite plus et peux marcher normalement mais sur de petites distances, je suis même aller à pied chez mon dentiste mais je suis revenue fatiguée et douloureuse...

Directly after breakfast: 1 tablet super vitamin B complex, selenium 1 tablet, Lugol 5 drops 12% in a glass of water
And I realized yesterday that my right ear was no longer suffer when even specialists were powerless to relieve me for 4 years now with drops OTIPAX and Locoid cream. . .
I box more and can walk normally but over short distances, I even walk to my dentist but I came back tired and painful. . .

Hello PERLOU, I picked up a glitch in the translation above, as follows:

Translation should read: Breakfast: 2 teaspoons of Glycine that sweeten my tea.

It looks like you are doing well, congratulations, even small improvements must improve the quality of your life.

I seem to be back on the iodine, I had an issue a few weeks ago were I was getting stomach aches in my gut after iodine. The pain seems to have diminished so I'm back to 2 drops of 5% a day and a few days off a week. One thing that I have re-discovered is that I am indeed sensitive to egg whites, I had eliminated them before from my diet and started again to check and all seemed well. Right around the same time that the iodine began causing gut pains I realized the egg white was causing kidney and lower back pains when consume(could be due to changes or a deeper connection with my body), regardless no more egg whites. Feeling good so far, somewhat keeping to the keto diet (went to some bbq's and birthdays and cheated/binged, sugar is the devil).

MusicMan said:
PERLOU said:

Hello PERLOU, I picked up a glitch in the translation above, as follows:

Translation should read: Breakfast: 2 teaspoons of Glycine that sweeten my tea.

It looks like you are doing well, congratulations, even small improvements must improve the quality of your life.

Indeed. And one thing that might help with a big boost would be adding 9 grams (yes, GRAMS) of L-Arginine divided into three daily doses. 3 grams upon arising on empty stomach. Wait one hour before eating. Second dose, hour after lunch (if you eat lunch), and last dose at least three hours after eating last meal of the day just before bed.

Papers attached.

Attachments

• Arginine_Clinical Investigation and Reports.docx
    59.9 KB · Views: 31
  • HGH_arginine.docx
    196.1 KB · Views: 21
  • The cardiometabolic benefits of glycine.docx
    90.2 KB · Views: 22
Laura said:
I've mentioned a number of times that I take the lugols iodine only occasionally now and usually take KI - even in the higher doses like 130 mg. Works well, don't have any reactive symptoms. Plus, I mix tincture of iodine into DMSO and smear it on myself every night before bed. It's clear that there are ideal cases for lugols but as we've learned with everything else, everyone is different and paying attention to your body and learning all you can about the situation is the way to go safely.

I also have had good results with KI, especially on topical issues like cuts and scrapes. Each drop of SSKI is approx 50 mg.

Since iodine vaporizes easily, I wonder if it vaporizes out of the idoral tablets, leaving more KI in the ratio? That would explain why they have less side effects.

KI is less hard on the body, like Sodium Chloride is less hard than sodium or chloride alone because of the balanced outer valences of electrons. Basically, it means that its not reactive.
In my small tests, Iodine alone can etch metal! But KI can sit for hours and just leave the salty looking residue.

Back
Top Bottom