Iodine and Potassium Iodide

Fluffy said:
Advice noted. I'll wait a while and see what happens. With everything else working well I don't want to add more stress. Would a herbal kidney and liver cleanse be too much or should I wait longer for that also?

The milk thistle works pretty well for the liver and if you don't have kidney failure, then supporting your detox pathways in general should be good enough.

One step at a time :flowers:

Gaby said:
Sniffing nystatin powder might work very well for your nasal polyps.

Ah, nystatin sounds like a great idea, assuming the underlying problem is of a fungal nature. Thank you, I think I'm going to try that.

Gaby said:
I would also do potassium iodide considering the psoriasis context because it helps at higher doses in skin conditions. You could even try +100mg of potassium iodide per day and a reasonable dose of lugol to tolerance on alternative days.

True. I' hadn't really considered potassium iodide yet because of how much I'm currently taking every day, considering its 1:2 ratio with iodine in lugol. Also, my apologies, could you clarify what you mean by "a reasonable dose of lugol to tolerance"? How much do you think that would be?

Gaby said:
If the psoriasis keeps acting up, another thing to consider is the autoimmune antibiotic protocol.

The antibiotic protocol... I was actually considering, and dreading, that before the iodine protocol came up. Then iodine was "rediscovered" and I was ecstatic at the chance to solve the issue AND avoid the potentially great and many unpleasantries of the antibiotic protocol, including the high cost (currently unaffordable for me) and the necessity of finding a doctor to prescribe the antibiotics. I REALLY hope it won't come to that, but yes, it's something to consider

Vajra said:
True. I' hadn't really considered potassium iodide yet because of how much I'm currently taking every day, considering its 1:2 ratio with iodine in lugol. Also, my apologies, could you clarify what you mean by "a reasonable dose of lugol to tolerance"? How much do you think that would be?

I would take something between 3mg - 30 mg as lugol and the rest as potassium iodide. At least as an experiment. You can switch back to what you are doing right now if it works best for you.

You can take higher doses of potassium iodide without major problems.

Vajra said:
Gaby said:
Sniffing nystatin powder might work very well for your nasal polyps.

Ah, nystatin sounds like a great idea, assuming the underlying problem is of a fungal nature. Thank you, I think I'm going to try that.

I had a humongous amount of nasal polyps for several years. I read quite a bit about them and in a lot of research they were saying that nasal polyps are formed around fungus/molds. So I took Gaby's advice and sniffed Nystatin and they went away. Of course, because there were so many and they were blocking my nasal passages, I was put on flutacasone spray (by my doctor) that kept them under control and because of that I could sniff the Nystatin. I no longer use the spray as there are no more polyps.

So I know that the Nystatin works in getting rid of the nasal polyps. There could be nasal polyps that are caused by bactertia, but I don't know for sure. You may want to try the Nystatin and see if it works for you.

fwiw

Gaby said:
I would take something between 3mg - 30 mg as lugol and the rest as potassium iodide. At least as an experiment. You can switch back to what you are doing right now if it works best for you.

You can take higher doses of potassium iodide without major problems.

Got it. Indeed, no reason not to try and see how it goes. I can even order it from a site where I usually order some of my other supplements, and I'm low on NAC, so great timing!

Nienna said:
I had a humongous amount of nasal polyps for several years. I read quite a bit about them and in a lot of research they were saying that nasal polyps are formed around fungus/molds. So I took Gaby's advice and sniffed Nystatin and they went away. Of course, because there were so many and they were blocking my nasal passages, I was put on flutacasone spray (by my doctor) that kept them under control and because of that I could sniff the Nystatin. I no longer use the spray as there are no more polyps.

So I know that the Nystatin works in getting rid of the nasal polyps. There could be nasal polyps that are caused by bactertia, but I don't know for sure. You may want to try the Nystatin and see if it works for you.

Glad to read it worked for you, Nienna. Hopefully I'll be able to convince my doctor to prescribe it. So far, it doesn't look like nystatin is usually sold in powder form in Italy, but maybe a galenic pharmacy could do the trick, or I could carefully pulverize a tablet and sniff a small amount at a time.

Although... It's now been 4 full days since I last applied lugol to my nostrils and the polyps vanished, and I see no signs of them returning. Which is interesting considering that, until now, they would come back in no more than 2 and a half days. I guess I'll wait to see if they return before going for the nystatin.

Gaby said:
Fluffy said:
Advice noted. I'll wait a while and see what happens. With everything else working well I don't want to add more stress. Would a herbal kidney and liver cleanse be too much or should I wait longer for that also?

The milk thistle works pretty well for the liver and if you don't have kidney failure, then supporting your detox pathways in general should be good enough.

Thanks Gaby, sorry for late reply, I've been down and out. Haven't really been able to pinpoint it, I can't stay on track with anything. I had another blood test and have been recalled to see my doctor. He's very adverse to me doing anything uncoventional. I'm reading Brownstien's book again so I can go in armed with tabbed pages of knowledge (I won't remember otherwise) I can't say for sure what this is going to be about but I've been suspicious of my thyroid activity which was fine at my last test when I was taking lower doses of lugols but now I suspect it making me hyperthyroid and that's what the 'detox' symptoms really are, hyperthyroid.
I haven't had any iodine for two days and the first day I had a light headache similar to when I first started using iodine, no headache today but I'm really tired both days of no iodine.
I see the doctor on Tuesday for the results.

Fluffy said:

Let us know how it went. It would be interesting to re-check the thyroid function. It might not necessarily be hyperthyroidism symptoms, but detox symptoms in general. In any case, it is good to double check.

Gaby said:
Fluffy said:

Let us know how it went. It would be interesting to re-check the thyroid function. It might not necessarily be hyperthyroidism symptoms, but detox symptoms in general. In any case, it is good to double check.

Certainly will do. It's annoying that I have to see the doctor to get the results and not know what's happening until I get there, meaning I can't do added research to rebut him with.

Fluffy said:
Gaby said:
Fluffy said:

Thanks Gaby, sorry for late reply, I've been down and out. Haven't really been able to pinpoint it, I can't stay on track with anything. I had another blood test and have been recalled to see my doctor. He's very adverse to me doing anything uncoventional. I'm reading Brownstien's book again so I can go in armed with tabbed pages of knowledge (I won't remember otherwise) I can't say for sure what this is going to be about but I've been suspicious of my thyroid activity which was fine at my last test when I was taking lower doses of lugols but now I suspect it making me hyperthyroid and that's what the 'detox' symptoms really are, hyperthyroid.
I haven't had any iodine for two days and the first day I had a light headache similar to when I first started using iodine, no headache today but I'm really tired both days of no iodine.

So I got my test results back today.

Free T4 5.2L (units poml/L) normal range 8.2-22.0
Free T3 3.2L. " normal range 2.0-7.0
TSH 12.3H (unilts mU/L) normal range .50-4-4

Doc wants me to have a nuclear test :/ and ultrasound, along with further testing for prolactin and thyroid antibodies.

I don't particularly know what to make of these results as my last thyroid test only tested TSH it was .92 and at that point I was not taking iodine. I felt horrible when I had that test done in October last year and for all we know my T4 could have been even lower than it is now and the high TSH from taking iodine reported on this test has bought it up a bit since I started taking iodine in January.

I've pretty much felt awful since my daughter was born in August 2013. So low in energy I fantasised about sleeping all the time and had to force myself to do even the smallest things like pick something up off the floor.
Now since taking iodine I have way more energy and can think clearer and remember some things (sometimes) I still have a rapid heartrate of 90-100bpm, which doesn't disturb me but is very out of character for me.

Other TSH tests I have had done over the years were .8 in 2004 and 1.4 in 2013.

What does Gaby and other knowledgable people think of my recent results?

Fluffy said:
Fluffy said:
Gaby said:
Fluffy said:

So I got my test results back today.

Free T4 5.2L (units poml/L) normal range 8.2-22.0
Free T3 3.2L. " normal range 2.0-7.0
TSH 12.3H (unilts mU/L) normal range .50-4-4

Doc wants me to have a nuclear test :/ and ultrasound, along with further testing for prolactin and thyroid antibodies.

I don't particularly know what to make of these results as my last thyroid test only tested TSH it was .92 and at that point I was not taking iodine. I felt horrible when I had that test done in October last year and for all we know my T4 could have been even lower than it is now and the high TSH from taking iodine reported on this test has bought it up a bit since I started taking iodine in January.

I've pretty much felt awful since my daughter was born in August 2013. So low in energy I fantasised about sleeping all the time and had to force myself to do even the smallest things like pick something up off the floor.
Now since taking iodine I have way more energy and can think clearer and remember some things (sometimes) I still have a rapid heartrate of 90-100bpm, which doesn't disturb me but is very out of character for me.

Other TSH tests I have had done over the years were .8 in 2004 and 1.4 in 2013.

What does Gaby and other knowledgable people think of my recent results?

In January this year i have similar thyroid results as you. I started iodine back then and i was supplementing iodine in doses that were very small , but probably too much for my body. I ended up with pain in the thyroid , heart palpitations and elevated TSH, while T3 and T4 were normal.

In my case it was that i overstimulated the iodine symporter system in my body, and all that combined with possible detox reactions from iodine, resulted with the elevated TSH.
Then i stopped the iodine for a few weeks and at the next test TSH was in a normal range.

I can give you my case as example so you can see and compare your case. Maybe if you stop the iodine for a some time while your body settles down and then start with very, very small doses and taking attentions how your body and mind reacts to it. Take care and please read the complete topic about iodine before using it. :hug2: :) . There are very valuable information's in this topic.

Fluffy said:

TSH goes up on iodine when it tries to stimulate the creation of the symporters that will carry iodine into the cells. I would not worry too much about it, specially if you have better energy levels.

How long have you been on iodine? It should take some 8 months before it normalizes again. I don't think stopping the iodine is a good idea because that means this process would stop and also because you have seen better energy levels when you started iodine.

Chronic fatigue can be due to stealth infections, heavy metal toxicity and other factors combined. I used to have your thyroid labwork before starting iodine. That is, without the iodine context, mine was definitely subclinical hypothyroidism. The best remedy for that is iodine. I haven't tested ever since, but soon will.

You could go with the labwork (prolactin and anti-thyroid antibodies), specially if you have been over 8 months on iodine. The nuclear testing sounds like an overkill though.

Don't get scared by this doctor's thinking. He is missing the context.

I would repeat the tests after the 8 month mark from starting iodine, and would keep doing some detox effort. If the tiredness doesn't subside, you can consider trying other things.

Do you take magnesium and potassium?

Gaby said:
Fluffy said:

TSH goes up on iodine when it tries to stimulate the creation of the symporters that will carry iodine into the cells. I would not worry too much about it, specially if you have better energy levels.

How long have you been on iodine? It should take some 8 months before it normalizes again. I don't think stopping the iodine is a good idea because that means this process would stop and also because you have seen better energy levels when you started iodine.

Chronic fatigue can be due to stealth infections, heavy metal toxicity and other factors combined. I used to have your thyroid labwork before starting iodine. That is, without the iodine context, mine was definitely subclinical hypothyroidism. The best remedy for that is iodine. I haven't tested ever since, but soon will.

You could go with the labwork (prolactin and anti-thyroid antibodies), specially if you have been over 8 months on iodine. The nuclear testing sounds like an overkill though.

Don't get scared by this doctor's thinking. He is missing the context.

I would repeat the tests after the 8 month mark from starting iodine, and would keep doing some detox effort. If the tiredness doesn't subside, you can consider trying other things.

Do you take magnesium and potassium?

I've been on iodine for 5 months. I've had some pretty decent detox symptoms on it but my diet has also been pretty horrible, I started an autoimmune keto eating plan a few days ago.. It's going to be interesting to say the least.
I do take magnesium and potassium, I have noticed my energy level fall since I lowered the iodine dose from about 300mg (what I was taking at the last test) to 50mg so I'm working my way back up to the high dose.

I do not feel very good on days off and if I spill it on my skin the yellow stain is gone within about ten minutes which I know isn't the best method of telling iodine uptake but is surely an indicator.
I was actually relieved that the test indicated hypothyroidism rather than hyper, it seems like it's easier to fix with iodine and from what I've noticed in energy changes its already started to correct it.

Thanks for the reply Gaby, I'll wait a bit longer before I go down the nuclear testing road. The doc freaked out for sure, first thing he said was 'I want to put you on thyroxine', obviously I object at this point and want to wait a lot longer to see what the iodine does. Otherwise I got a very positive response from him saying he'll support my wishes as long as they are within reason- so I just need to be armoured with wisdom and reason when I see him next in 6 weeks.

Fluffy said:
I do take magnesium and potassium, I have noticed my energy level fall since I lowered the iodine dose from about 300mg (what I was taking at the last test) to 50mg so I'm working my way back up to the high dose.

I would use potassium iodide if you're aiming for such high doses. In general, lugol 50mg is the highest recommended dose for daily use. So adding potassium iodide on top of that and which is safer to use can be another option.

For instance, I take lugol on alternative days, no more than 20mg and the rest of the days, I take potassium iodide 125mg capsules.

Gaby said:
Fluffy said:

I would use potassium iodide if you're aiming for such high doses. In general, lugol 50mg is the highest recommended dose for daily use. So adding potassium iodide on top of that and which is safer to use can be another option.

For instance, I take lugol on alternative days, no more than 20mg and the rest of the days, I take potassium iodide 125mg capsules.

Alrighty I will get some more and alternate days on days off as you suggest.

Thank you again.

Je viens de recevoir mon L-Arginine 9 grammes en trois prises selon les recommandations de Laura, voici mon nouvel emploi du temps :
Directement au lever le matin : 3 grammes L-Arginine
1 heure après : ½ cuillère à café de sel marin Celtic dans un grand verre d'eau
Petit déjeuner : 2 cuillerées à café de Glycine qui adoucit mon thé
Directement avec le petit-déjeuner (bol de thé) : 1 comprimé super vitamine B complexe, 1 comprimé sélénium, Lugol 5 gouttes 12% dans un verre d'eau
1heure après 3 grammes L-Arginine
Directement après le déjeuner midi : Chardon-Marie 1 comprimé ou 1 comprimé de NAC
Dans l'après-midi : 1 cuillerée à café Vitamine C dans un verre d’eau
3 heures après avoir mangé le dernier repas de la journée : 3 grammes L-Arginine
Avant de dormir : magnésium 1 comprimé

I just got my L-Arginine 9 grams into three doses as recommended by Laura, here is my new schedule:
Directly up in the morning: 3 grams L-Arginine
1 hour after: ½ teaspoon of Celtic sea salt in a glass of water
Breakfast: 2 teaspoons of Glycine that softens my tea
Directly with breakfast (tea bowl): 1 super tablet vitamin B complex, selenium 1 tablet, Lugol 5 drops 12% in a glass of water
1 hour after 3 grams L-Arginine
Directly after lunch Afternoon: Thistle 1 tablet or 1 tablet of NAC
In the afternoon: 1 teaspoon Vitamin C in a glass of water
3 hours after eating the last meal of the day: 3 grams L-Arginine
Before sleep: 1 tablet Magnesium

Back
Top Bottom