Iodine and Potassium Iodide

Menrva said:
Psoriasis may be the result of many things including critters, but diet and food intolerances are a huge culprit. A lot of people have gotten relief just with dietary changes. Getting your diet in order will help a lot with that. You can do a search on the Forum for psoriasis and read about other peoples experiences and what they did. DMSO might help for short term relief as well.

In the research from the 1950s, psoriasis was the only skin condition that got worse with DMSO in some people. In that case, they used a fairly concentrated DMSO liquid form. It worsens the scaling and dryness. Maybe the DMSO cream doesn't have the same effect, but something to have in mind.

Thanks for sharing your journey thus far Vajra :)

As has been noted, the dose is very, very high - I appreciate you are trying to nuke a few things due to your autoimmune condition and you do say you don't plan on doing it for too long which i think is wise. I'd also be wary of the emotional aspect which can follow at those levels, in my experience it can seem to come at you sideways and it's harder to shake off than the other detox symptoms. I found that it came a few months into the protocol at higher doses (~ 50mg but not for more than 5 days a week and no more than 3 weeks, and it was early on in the experiment), i think others felt it early on.

For myself, i found after 4+ months the effects of iodine are different to how they were at first; initially i had increased hunger and energy, then i had to lower the dose or it could make me feel tired and a bit heavy.

The other idea being discussed is trying the pill form and alternating with that - Iodoral is suggested. I tried both that, and the Potassium Iodide (no Iodine in these) by NOW foods and found them less intense than the Lugols for example.

From what you write though, you seem to have a good grasp of the protocol overall, seem to have followed the thread, and it's great to read that you've had relief in some areas already. :thup:

itellsya said:
For myself, i found after 4+ months the effects of iodine are different to how they were at first; initially i had increased hunger and energy, then i had to lower the dose or it could make me feel tired and a bit heavy.

Me too. Now it is different. Last week I forgot a couple of lugol doses (18mg or so) and felt the consequences: I was more tired even though I did take potassium iodide 120mg for two days.

This week I'm back to my lugol 18mg on alternative days. On the other days I'm having the potassium iodide capsules (120mg) and I'm feeling more energized with this protocol.

Fluffy said:
RedFox said:
Hi Fluffy, the following on melatonin/iodine may be useful to note:

Konstantin said:
Konstantin said:
For about 10 days on light detox protocol with Chlorela,Cilantro and ALA. No detox reactions noticed. I feel good.
Yesterday i made another experiment with melatonin. 2-3 weeks ago when i took 1.5mg melatonin i noticed pain in my thyroid.
YEsterday evening i decided to try it again the same dosage of 1.5 mg. And again the same situation, just not so severe as the last time. Before iodine i dont have any problems with melatonine with the doses up to 6 mg.
This morning after a restless sleep with melatonine i have a light pain in my thyroid again.
I tried to search and find if there is any connection between these 2 things , and i found this:

_http://www.naturalendocrinesolutions.com/articles/melatonin-thyroid-health/ said:
Melatonin and Thyroid Health

So how does melatonin relate to thyroid health? As I mentioned earlier, melatonin is secreted by the pineal gland, and this also is a source of thytrophin-releasing hormone (TRH), which in turn causes the body to release TSH, which signals for the secretion of thyroid hormone. But melatonin may also have a direct effect on thyroid hormone production by stimulating TSH (11). One study involving perimenopausal and menopausal women showed that taking 3mg of melatonin for three to six months can increase the levels of thyroid hormone (12). So although most cases of hypothyroidism are caused by Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, one also should consider the impact that melatonin has on thyroid health.

Because melatonin might increase thyroid hormone production, people with hyperthyroidism and Graves’ Disease might wonder whether they should avoid supplementing with melatonin. If someone with a hyperthyroid condition has a deficiency in melatonin, then taking a melatonin supplement probably won’t cause any problems. On the other hand, if someone doesn’t have a melatonin deficiency but chooses to take melatonin supplements then it might increase the hyperthyroid symptoms. Just remember what I said earlier about wanting to address the cause of the melatonin deficiency, as even if someone has a hypothyroid condition they don’t want to rely on melatonin supplements for a prolonged period of time.

So i guess that melatonine is also activating the iodine symporter system mechanism and maybe its not a good idea to take melatonine in the same time while someone is supplementing with iodine, because it can overstimulate the TSH. Well it was probably the case in my situation.

I know that there is something related between Melatonin and Thyroid. So i have done little more research this morning.

_http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26845843 said:
Morphofunctional state of the thyroid gland (TG) of young rats after exposure of exogenous melatonin in the spring and autumn periods was investigated. Exogenous melatonin (Unipharm Inc., USA) was administered to experimental group of animals daily at a dose 5 mg/kg. The duration of the experiment was 28 days. It was shown an increase of the cross-section area of follicles by 31% and colloid by 30% (in spring), reduction of the area of follicle epithelium by 12% (in autumn), an increase in the follicle internal diameter and a decline in the thyroid epithelium height by 12% (in autumn) in TG of experimental groups rats. Also it was shown a decline of follicle-colloid index and growth of colloid accumulation index, reduction amount of interfollicular islets. The introduction of melatonin in the spring period brought down the amount of connecting tissue elements. Melatonin introduction in the autumn period reduced the thickness of connective tissue trabecules in TG. The introduction of melatonin in the spring period resulted in more substantial changes in the structure of TG, as compared to an autumn experiment.
Thus, melatonin administered both in the spring and in the autumn periods reduces the functional activity and physiological regeneration of TG.

_http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26579570 said:
Melatonin is an indoleamine with multiple functions in both plant and animal species. In addition to data in literature describing many other important roles for melatonin, such as antioxidant, circadian rhythm controlling, anti-aging, antiproliferative or immunomodulatory activities, our group recently reported that thyroid C-cells synthesize melatonin and suggested a paracrine role for this molecule in the regulation of thyroid activity. To discern the role played by melatonin at thyroid level and its involvement in the hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid axis, in the present study we have analyzed the effect of thyrotropin in the regulation of the enzymatic machinery for melatonin biosynthesis in C cells as well as the effect of melatonin in the regulation of thyroid hormone biosynthesis in thyrocytes. Our results show that the key enzymes for melatonin biosynthesis (AANAT and ASMT) are regulated by thyroid-stimulating hormone. Furthermore, exogenous melatonin increases thyroglobulin expression at mRNA and protein levels on cultured thyrocytes and this effect is not strictly mediated by the upregulation of TTF1 or, noteworthy, PAX8 transcription factors. The present data show that thyroid C-cells synthesize melatonin under thyroid-stimulating hormone control and, consistently with previous data, support the hypothesis of a paracrine role for C-cell-synthesised melatonin within the thyroid gland. Additionally, in the present study we show evidence for the involvement of melatonin in thyroid function by directly-regulating thyroglobulin gene expression in follicular cells.

So if thyroid C-cells can synthesize melatonin under regulation of TSH, then iodine introduction that increased TSH also disturbed or awakened those Thyroid C-cells or some mechanisam in them and they started to produce melatonine.( or they significantly increased melatonine production) When i took melatonine pill, i increased the total melatonin in my body to a level higher then i need so maybe C-cells needed to decrease their melatonine production.BEcause they are TSH regulated , that means there must be also some change in TSH level after i took melatonine, and that TSH variation is reason why i feel the pain in the thyroid. Also all that melatonine "overdose" made my sleep very bad the night when i took it. Few days after the pain is still present because of TSH variation and maybe c-cells are trying to normalize their melatonine production since no more external source of melatonine is available.

This is just mine theory, how i understand this connection.
So now since iodine awakened the thyroid , maybe a much smaller doses of melatonin are needed in order to achieve the same results as with higher doses before iodine was introduced to the body, since now the thyroid can produce its own melatonine.

Interesting Redfox, I didn't take the melatonin the last two nights and my sleep was much deeper with less dream recall- which is absolutely fine with me, who needs to be able to write detailed 10,000 word essays about their dreams every night anyway, I'm happy with 2,000 word ones that don't make me feel like I've been awake all night living a double life. I've already taken it tonight so I will report in the morning if there is a notable difference to the last two nights. Thanks for the insight!

Slept amazingly again last night, fell asleep instantly at 10.30pm, woke up at 7am. I only woke up once which is fairly normal, I go right back to sleep. My dreams were still busy but I don't feel exhausted from them. The only thing to note is waking with a headache. I have been for a week or so but it goes away after the salt water on rising.
I don't know if any of my sleep is even related to melatonin. I only took it to induce normal sleep habits after being up til 1 or 2 am for months while I was smoking weed, now that is over I might stop melatonin as my sleep time has gone back to normal. Some of the things going on with this iodine therapy are a real enigma. The rapid heartrate which can be as high as 130bpm when I'm doing nothing, and there isn't any correlation with food or timing, it's all over the place, I had another thyroid test on Monday which I haven't heard back about. Doc said he'd only call if there's a problem. It doesn't keep me awake either, nor do I wake up feeling exhausted from it. I'm pretty confused by it.

I have one question for Gaby and every one could answer, i was rereading Gaby's article on iodine and maybe i didn't notice, but it wasn't mentioned in the article if iodine has/can cure the skin cancer as melanoma, just curious, if following the iodine protocol plus applying iodine on the skin can have curing effects?
Thank you in advance.

Fluffy said:
Some of the things going on with this iodine therapy are a real enigma. The rapid heartrate which can be as high as 130bpm when I'm doing nothing, and there isn't any correlation with food or timing, it's all over the place, I had another thyroid test on Monday which I haven't heard back about. Doc said he'd only call if there's a problem. It doesn't keep me awake either, nor do I wake up feeling exhausted from it. I'm pretty confused by it.

Fluffy, I mentioned earlier in the thread that when I was having heart palpitations I started taking L-carnitine, coenzyme Q10, and continued with vit C and magnesium daily, all of which seemed to have helped to the point that the palpitations went away. Maybe something to experiment with and see how it affects you?

Andre' said:
I have one question for Gaby and every one could answer, i was rereading Gaby's article on iodine and maybe i didn't notice, but it wasn't mentioned in the article if iodine has/can cure the skin cancer as melanoma, just curious, if following the iodine protocol plus applying iodine on the skin can have curing effects?
Thank you in advance.

We haven't discussed melanoma specifically, although a preliminary search shows that apparently, people have used iodine to treat melanoma:

Skin Cancer – Natural Treatment Options
Posted by Dr Sircus on May 21, 2015

_http://drsircus.com/medicine/skin-cancer-natural-treatment-options/

Iodine used orally and topically applied to the affected area multiple times per day, alternating with the sodium bicarbonate applications. Dr. Tullio Simoncini states, “Every tumour of the skin can be completely removed with iodine tincture 7%, brushed many times (10-20) once a day.

“For epithileomas, basaliomas and melanomas, the treatment to choose is iodine solution at seven% as it is capable of precipitating the proteins of the body of the fungus and destroying them completely in a short time. If the lesions are fairly small, they must be painted with the solution 10-20-30 times twice a day for five days and then once for another ten days so that they become very dark. When the eschar is formed and it is higher than the epidermic plane, it is necessary to continue to paint under and above it, even if at first a strong pain is sensed.”

“When the crust is formed, don’t take it away, but treat the area continuously and wait until it falls without any other intervention except the iodine tincture. When the crust falls down the third time, the patient is healed.” When a scab forms over the affected area it is allowed to drop off naturally until no further lesion is seen. (Usually after three scabs form and fall off) This process may need to be repeated multiple times.”

“My 88 year old father, sufferer of skin cancer, two melanomas, and prostate cancer made the empowering decision to take his health back. Without my guidance, he found your website. Now on a clean diet, iodine supplementation,Magnesium oil, using your bi-carbonate of soda protocols, use of Amazonian black salve to remove the squamous cell cancers and on two melanomas along with Essiac tea he has turned his health on! His skin is actually clearing up after twenty years of battle. He also ditched all his pharmaceuticals! So he is playing golf and tennis and gardening eight hours a day, in his words "I can’t wait to get out of bed in the morning.” Thank you from the both of us.”

It seems this last testimonial might refer to a slow growing melanoma which is typical of the elderly.

For a young person with a fast growing and penetrating melanoma, I wouldn't hesitate to have it removed surgically. They are very aggressive and if the entire lesion is not removed ASAP, it can be fatal.

Here is another testimonial:

_http://www.curenaturalicancro.com/en/video/video-patients/melanoma-skin-cancer-and-iodine/

More info:

A Natural Skin Cancer Cure - Iodine!
_http://www.lifeenergysolutions.com/blog/skin-cancer-cure/

Alana said:
Fluffy said:
Some of the things going on with this iodine therapy are a real enigma. The rapid heartrate which can be as high as 130bpm when I'm doing nothing, and there isn't any correlation with food or timing, it's all over the place, I had another thyroid test on Monday which I haven't heard back about. Doc said he'd only call if there's a problem. It doesn't keep me awake either, nor do I wake up feeling exhausted from it. I'm pretty confused by it.

Fluffy, I mentioned earlier in the thread that when I was having heart palpitations I started taking L-carnitine, coenzyme Q10, and continued with vit C and magnesium daily, all of which seemed to have helped to the point that the palpitations went away. Maybe something to experiment with and see how it affects you?

I already take those things, I rediscovered the L-cartinite in the cupboard a few days ago and added it into my after dinner supps. I've been reading on curezone about people who are having high heartrate and smelly sweaty nights with parasite and heavy metal detoxing, it mentions there to increase magnesium and see if that helps also. There isn't enough hours in the day, it seems my dosing schedule is already very busy almost houly I'm taking things so they don't interfere with each other. Otherwise, apart from the rapid heart beat, silly cravings, easily shifting moods and morning headaches I feel pretty good and my energy is stable now since I started high dosing of iodine.
I'm also reading Hulda Clarke's book 'the cure for all diseases' loaned to me by MusicMan, and I think a liver and kidney cleanse and may be a herbal parasite program might go along well with the iodine therapy. I might even build a zapper (I'll name it frank)
Any thoughts on that? Should I stop the iodine if I plan to do go down that road?

Fluffy said:
I already take those things, I rediscovered the L-cartinite in the cupboard a few days ago and added it into my after dinner supps. I've been reading on curezone about people who are having high heartrate and smelly sweaty nights with parasite and heavy metal detoxing, it mentions there to increase magnesium and see if that helps also. There isn't enough hours in the day, it seems my dosing schedule is already very busy almost houly I'm taking things so they don't interfere with each other. Otherwise, apart from the rapid heart beat, silly cravings, easily shifting moods and morning headaches I feel pretty good and my energy is stable now since I started high dosing of iodine.
I'm also reading Hulda Clarke's book 'the cure for all diseases' loaned to me by MusicMan, and I think a liver and kidney cleanse and may be a herbal parasite program might go along well with the iodine therapy. I might even build a zapper (I'll name it frank)
Any thoughts on that? Should I stop the iodine if I plan to do go down that road?

It's likely you are detoxing from the drug use, which can take 6 months.
Drinking extra water and supporting your liver, gut and skin (detox routes) would help I think. Milkthistle is good for liver support.
It may be a good idea to just go slow and steady and not add to many other things for now, especially parasite cleanses as they stress your liver and detox systems.

Fluffy said:
I can relate to the sinus problems very much, I was on steroids for a while years ago. I have a collapsed septum since I was a kid and lots of ear infections. The iodine has cleared my sinuses so much that I can feel air rush past my eardrum when I breathe in. When I started taking a high dose I began to blow out thick iodine stained mucous from my sinus, especially on the collapsed side.
What a relief it has been.

A great relief indeed Fluffy. I guess the experience taught me to be more appreciative of the simple things, like being able to just breathe through my nose at all times.

Menrva said:
I think your iodine dosage is a bit high if you are taking 100mg 5 times per day even if it is short term. If you meant 100mgs total per day in 5 divided doses, I think it might be a bit much, I think. It could explain your lack of energy and other symptoms. Are you taking any days off of iodine during the week?

Hi Menrva,

I actually meant 100mg 5 times per day (500mg in total). While I agree that the dosage is high, my lack of energy couldn't be caused by the iodine, as it has been going on for years. The only symptom that might be caused by the iodine would be the nasal polyps. I am currently taking one day off of iodine per week.

Menrva said:
The salted water can have a detox effect causing the diarrhea you describe, so I think you are overloading your body a bit. The salt water protocol calls for ½ tsp salt in ½ cup warm water followed by 12-16oz fresh water, once a day (preferably first thing in the morning) or as needed for bromine detoxing. Are you taking more salt water than that?

Well... It seems I have been making a very stupid mistake. I was certain the dosage could be 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp of salt, so I always used 1. In fact, during the last 2 days I cut the dosage down to 1/2 tsp and indeed, no more diarrhea.

Menrva said:
Psoriasis may be the result of many things including critters, but diet and food intolerances are a huge culprit. A lot of people have gotten relief just with dietary changes. Getting your diet in order will help a lot with that. You can do a search on the Forum for psoriasis and read about other peoples experiences and what they did. DMSO might help for short term relief as well.

Also, stress, vitamin D deficiency, a lack of omega 3’s, a poorly functioning liver and intestinal dysbiosis can all contribute to psoriasis. Are you still taking the probiotics and do you take any detox supplements like milk thistle, vitamin C, NAC, or chlorella? If not, I think adding them along with vitamin D and some omega 3's would be helpful.

Yes, I have been reading quite a bit about it. As for my diet, in the last few years I have been trying to be carefull about what I eat, going for a high fat low carb diet, avoiding inflammatory foods... But I'll admit, there is still room for improvement. And I have been a little too lax about it in recent months.

I am still taking the probiotics. I also take NAC and vitamin C (and ALA) as part of the protocol. I tried supplementing vitamin D and omega 3 a couple of years ago, but I didn't notice any difference. Still, it might be a good idea to try again, now that I'm actively detoxifying my body. Thank you for the suggestion!

Menrva said:
It sounds to me that you are a bit toxic and need to give your body time and the fuel it needs to deal with the effects and detox effects of iodine. :)

The Sott Health and Wellness crew interviewed Lynne Farrow author of "The Iodine Crisis". The hosts and Lynne give some tips on how to approach reintroducing iodine into your body. It's a great interview available here:

https://www.sott.net/article/313795-The-Health-Wellness-Show-The-Iodine-Crisis-Interview-with-Lynne-Farrow

Yes, that is my impression as well. I didn't expect to see ANY amazing results before AT LEAST 6 months into the protocol.

And thank you for the link, I will read it ASAP

Menrva said:
Your nasal polyps might be the result of irritation if you put lugol's directly into your sinuses. I wasn't sure how you applied the lugol's based on your post, but a gentler approach would work just as well. I've had chronic sinus trouble most of my life. I tried the sinus flush method described in the article and it’s worked like a charm. Chronic Sinusitis: A fungal overgrowth?

Allow me to clarify, I applied the lugol to my nose with my little fingers, but only after the polyps had appeared, as a way of treating them, so that couldn't be the cause. Still, I'll look into the sinus flush method you suggested. No reason not to consider a more gentle approach after all.

Gaby said:
In the research from the 1950s, psoriasis was the only skin condition that got worse with DMSO in some people. In that case, they used a fairly concentrated DMSO liquid form. It worsens the scaling and dryness. Maybe the DMSO cream doesn't have the same effect, but something to have in mind.

Thank you Gaby, a very timely post for me too, as I was recently considering trying DMSO. I'll have to read more about it and keep in mind what you said. Maybe I could try experimenting with DMSO cream on one little spot and see how it goes... I don't know.

itellsya said:
As has been noted, the dose is very, very high - I appreciate you are trying to nuke a few things due to your autoimmune condition and you do say you don't plan on doing it for too long which i think is wise. I'd also be wary of the emotional aspect which can follow at those levels, in my experience it can seem to come at you sideways and it's harder to shake off than the other detox symptoms. I found that it came a few months into the protocol at higher doses (~ 50mg but not for more than 5 days a week and no more than 3 weeks, and it was early on in the experiment), i think others felt it early on.

That reminds me, itellsya, I did experience some "emotional detox" during the first month which I completely forgot to write about. Three times, if I'm not mistaken, I experienced a little resurgence of depression. I have suffered from a rather severe depression for a few years, until about 2 years ago. Thankfully, these "emotional symptoms" only lasted one evening each and I found them surprisingly easy to deal with, while they were happening.

itellsya said:
The other idea being discussed is trying the pill form and alternating with that - Iodoral is suggested. I tried both that, and the Potassium Iodide (no Iodine in these) by NOW foods and found them less intense than the Lugols for example.

I read about iodoral. I decided to stick with lugol (by Medisca, by the way) mostly because of the higher price of iodoral. Also, I had some trouble with amazon.com shipping some products to Italy, and amazon.it doesn't have iodoral, nor virtually any of the supplements I need, so I wasn't sure where to order it form. But I could try some potassium iodide once I bring down the lugol dosage.

Gaby said:
itellsya said:

Me too. Now it is different. Last week I forgot a couple of lugol doses (18mg or so) and felt the consequences: I was more tired even though I did take potassium iodide 120mg for two days.

This week I'm back to my lugol 18mg on alternative days. On the other days I'm having the potassium iodide capsules (120mg) and I'm feeling more energized with this protocol.

Interesting... Once I get to the third month mark, I'll start gradually lowering the lugol dosage, then I think I'll try to experiment with the protocol a little, see if can find a way to make it work better for me.

RedFox said:
Fluffy said:

Drinking extra water and supporting your liver, gut and skin (detox routes) would help I think. Milkthistle is good for liver support.
It may be a good idea to just go slow and steady and not add to many other things for now, especially parasite cleanses as they stress your liver and detox systems.

Advice noted. I'll wait a while and see what happens. With everything else working well I don't want to add more stress. Would a herbal kidney and liver cleanse be too much or should I wait longer for that also?

Fluffy said:
RedFox said:
Fluffy said:

Advice noted. I'll wait a while and see what happens. With everything else working well I don't want to add more stress. Would a herbal kidney and liver cleanse be too much or should I wait longer for that also?
You could always pull back on the iodine while you do a kindney/liver cleanse? I stopped to do some rounds of DMSA then started up again once I was done. It felt much better the second time round.

Vajra said:
I actually meant 100mg 5 times per day (500mg in total). While I agree that the dosage is high, my lack of energy couldn't be caused by the iodine, as it has been going on for years. The only symptom that might be caused by the iodine would be the nasal polyps. I am currently taking one day off of iodine per week.

Sniffing nystatin powder might work very well for your nasal polyps.

I would also do potassium iodide considering the psoriasis context because it helps at higher doses in skin conditions. You could even try +100mg of potassium iodide per day and a reasonable dose of lugol to tolerance on alternative days.

If the psoriasis keeps acting up, another thing to consider is the autoimmune antibiotic protocol.

Back
Top Bottom