Iodine and Potassium Iodide

I didn't even realize that my hair has been solid. I took a difficult promotional test a month ago and usually I would see hair by the desk, because I play with my hair to help me think/remember. This last time I don't recall much hair at all!

Also, around the holidays, I met up with friends and asked when one started going bald. I forgot that we're in our mid 30s! My father has gone bald, so I have the "genes", just odd or lucky it's not happening? Maybe it's the iodine!

hlat said:
How do you make iodine foam to wash your hair?

I buy it in local pharmacy. It's called povidone-iodine foam here. It's actually in liquid form, just like ordinary povidone-iodine, but quickly turns into foam when rubbed.

This is that foam (or scrub as they call it) from betadine: http://www.betadine.com/PI/NonPrescription/A6910B16.pdf

And this is the ordinary betadine: http://www.betadine.com/PI/NonPrescription/A6910BE1.pdf

Persej said:
Gaby said:
After I started taking apple cider vinegar, I decided to lower my iodine dose as an experiment. After a week, my hair started falling off in higher quantities, so I re-started my previous iodine dose. I take some 6-8 drops of lugol 5% on alternative days.

My hair has been falling off in much lower quantities this month, even though I lowered my iodine dose to 1 drop, five days in a week. But I don't know if it is because I started to wash my hair with iodine foam, or because of something else that I started to take in the same period.

And here is one similar story with a lot of information's inside.
_https://www.womenshairlossproject.com/hair-loss/thyroid-hair-loss-success-story/

There is one more side effect of iodine I noticed that hasn’t been mentioned here and I’ve been wondering whether anyone else has noticed something similar.

I started taking iodine in December 2015 and shortly afterwards I noticed my silver necklace started to get a layer of dark tarnish. I know it’s a normal process for silver but the only jewellery I wear is gifts that have sentimental value so I’ve worn it for years without such effect. I got the necklace from my mom and she thought that maybe the quality wasn’t good. But I don’t think that’s what it is, I’d worn the necklace for like 5 years before I started the iodine protocol and it was fine.

Around June it became impossible to clean it anymore and my mom got me another one - and it’s doing the same thing. I have to clean it with a tarnish remover once a week. I also have a golden necklace and this one is totally fine. A silver bracelet on my wrist is OK too.

My mom told me that the layer of tarnish on silver jewellery is an indication of a health issue but it may be just folk wisdom. And whatever health issues I have started long before the iodine detox anyway.

I do wonder whether the reaction is due to the proximity of thyroid? Or maybe my body is still detoxing and some of the badness is removed through skin? The appearance of tarnish is a chemical reaction so I wonder whether this isn’t just a sign of pretty intense detox. I was hoping that after a year most of the detox would be over but I guess it may not be the case :huh:

Ant22 said:
There is one more side effect of iodine I noticed that hasn’t been mentioned here and I’ve been wondering whether anyone else has noticed something similar.

I started taking iodine in December 2015 and shortly afterwards I noticed my silver necklace started to get a layer of dark tarnish. I know it’s a normal process for silver but the only jewellery I wear is gifts that have sentimental value so I’ve worn it for years without such effect. I got the necklace from my mom and she thought that maybe the quality wasn’t good. But I don’t think that’s what it is, I’d worn the necklace for like 5 years before I started the iodine protocol and it was fine.

Around June it became impossible to clean it anymore and my mom got me another one - and it’s doing the same thing. I have to clean it with a tarnish remover once a week. I also have a golden necklace and this one is totally fine. A silver bracelet on my wrist is OK too.

My mom told me that the layer of tarnish on silver jewellery is an indication of a health issue but it may be just folk wisdom. And whatever health issues I have started long before the iodine detox anyway.

I do wonder whether the reaction is due to the proximity of thyroid? Or maybe my body is still detoxing and some of the badness is removed through skin? The appearance of tarnish is a chemical reaction so I wonder whether this isn’t just a sign of pretty intense detox. I was hoping that after a year most of the detox would be over but I guess it may not be the case :huh:

Sounds like a chemical reaction of the silver to something.

The following three links say:

Understand the cause of silver tarnish

Tarnish develops as a chemical reaction. The most common source is through the air (although direct contact with substances that contain sulfur will also cause tarnish). This is why silver is generally stored in air-restricted spaces. I say air-restricted because glass front cabinets and silver chests are not air-tight and even when stored in these places tarnish will still eventually develop, just at a slower pace.

Identify silver tarnish

As far as silver is concerned, tarnish and patina are not the same thing Patina is a gorgeous, mellow, grey, soft, lustrous finish that well used and cared for silver develops. [...]

For example, silver needs hydrogen sulfide to tarnish, although it may tarnish with oxygen over time.

Like copper, silver reacts with sulfur and its compounds; in their presence, silver tarnishes in air to form the black silver sulfide (copper forms the green sulfate instead, while gold does not react). Unlike copper, silver will not react with the halogens, with the exception of the notoriously reactive fluorine gas, with which it forms the difluoride.

While silver is not attacked by non-oxidizing acids, the metal dissolves readily in hot concentrated sulfuric acid, as well as dilute or concentrated nitric acid. In the presence of air, and especially in the presence of hydrogen peroxide, silver dissolves readily in aqueous solutions of cyanide.[23]
Silver metal is attacked by strong oxidizers such as potassium permanganate (KMnO4) and potassium dichromate (K2Cr2O7), and in the presence of potassium bromide (KBr). These compounds are used in photography to bleach silver images, converting them to silver bromide that can either be fixed with thiosulfate or redeveloped to intensify the original image.

http://www.silvermagpies.com/2011/10/19/silver-tarnish/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarnish
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver

So the bolded parts above could be related.

Pashalis said:
Sounds like a chemical reaction of the silver to something.

The following three links say:

Understand the cause of silver tarnish

Tarnish develops as a chemical reaction. The most common source is through the air (although direct contact with substances that contain sulfur will also cause tarnish). This is why silver is generally stored in air-restricted spaces. I say air-restricted because glass front cabinets and silver chests are not air-tight and even when stored in these places tarnish will still eventually develop, just at a slower pace.

Identify silver tarnish

As far as silver is concerned, tarnish and patina are not the same thing Patina is a gorgeous, mellow, grey, soft, lustrous finish that well used and cared for silver develops. [...]

For example, silver needs hydrogen sulfide to tarnish, although it may tarnish with oxygen over time.

Like copper, silver reacts with sulfur and its compounds; in their presence, silver tarnishes in air to form the black silver sulfide (copper forms the green sulfate instead, while gold does not react). Unlike copper, silver will not react with the halogens, with the exception of the notoriously reactive fluorine gas, with which it forms the difluoride.

While silver is not attacked by non-oxidizing acids, the metal dissolves readily in hot concentrated sulfuric acid, as well as dilute or concentrated nitric acid. In the presence of air, and especially in the presence of hydrogen peroxide, silver dissolves readily in aqueous solutions of cyanide.[23]
Silver metal is attacked by strong oxidizers such as potassium permanganate (KMnO4) and potassium dichromate (K2Cr2O7), and in the presence of potassium bromide (KBr). These compounds are used in photography to bleach silver images, converting them to silver bromide that can either be fixed with thiosulfate or redeveloped to intensify the original image.

http://www.silvermagpies.com/2011/10/19/silver-tarnish/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarnish
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver

So the bolded parts above could be related.

Thanks for the info Pashalis, I went through the stuff you posted and it's still hard for me to put a finger on how and where I'd become exposed to these substances in high enough amounts to initiate the reaction I've been getting. The only one that kind of rings a bell is sulfur. In February last year I started eating meat after over a decade of being vegetarian. Meat, poultry and fish are good sources of sulfur and since sulfur causes silver tarnish there may be a link.

I guess I posted it as I was curious whether I was the only person who noticed a similar reaction.

A quick google search reveals iodine reacts with all metals. It tarnishes silver and stains gold with ease.

Ant22, did your jewelry come in contact with iodine?

Pashalis said:
Ant22 said:
I started taking iodine in December 2015 and shortly afterwards I noticed my silver necklace started to get a layer of dark tarnish.

Since bromine/bromide is detoxified and expelled from the body by iodine, it could be that your skin is excreting bromide which gets on the silver necklace causing tarnish.

TheTodd said:
A quick google search reveals iodine reacts with all metals. It tarnishes silver and stains gold with ease.

Ant22, did your jewelry come in contact with iodine?

Thanks TheTodd, good point. In fact, I do iodine hair rinse regularly so maybe I should be more careful when doing it. I noticed other people on here also use iodine for their hair - hopefully without such clumsy issues :)

What's interesting however, is that I also have a golden necklace which I got from my grandma 16 years ago and it's unaffected.

hlat said:
Pashalis said:
Ant22 said:
I started taking iodine in December 2015 and shortly afterwards I noticed my silver necklace started to get a layer of dark tarnish.

Since bromine/bromide is detoxified and expelled from the body by iodine, it could be that your skin is excreting bromide which gets on the silver necklace causing tarnish.

Thanks hlat, this is quite likely actually. Whenever I increase my dose of iodine but forget to take an additional portion of celtic salt in the afternoon I get spots on my face. I suspect that's bromoderma so I guess it adds up. I guess in the end this is likely to be related to detox.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection the golden necklace certainly has some darker marks too - I guess TheTodd's suggestion was correct and I should definitely be more careful with the iodine rinse! Not to mention that I should have done the "quick google search" myself instead of making noise here. Sorry guys!!

Merci pour ces échanges des plus intéressants... Je ne porte pas de bijoux... Seulement mon Cristal Personnel...

Thank you for these interesting exchanges ... I do not wear jewelry ... Only my personal crystal ...

PERLOU said:
Merci pour ces échanges des plus intéressants... Je ne porte pas de bijoux... Seulement mon Cristal Personnel...

Thank you for these interesting exchanges ... I do not wear jewelry ... Only my personal crystal ...

Do you mean you wear your personal crystal instead of jewelry PERLOU? As far as I know those crystals shouldn't be exposed to direct sunlight or moonlight, I take it you wear your crystal somewhere underneath your clothes to make sure it doesn't lose its charge?

Aeneas said:
Where I live, we received in the mail a couple of years ago, tablets to take in case of a nuclear accident as we live within 50km from a Nuclear power station. The tablets are 130mg, which are to be taken if the authorities say so. In the case where the authorities actually do say it then it most likely is too little too late as in most cases then authorities will prefer to withhold information to the public so as not to "cause panic" and damage the nuclear industry. There have been many radiation releases in the past (Chernobyl being one of them), where authorities (in Europe) said that there was nothing to worry about, though iodine tablets most likely should have been taken by the main population. In many cases, only years later does information come out about the release into the surrounding areas.

So, to make a long story short, I think it makes sense to top our bodies up with iodine and getting over the adjustment and toxin elimination phase before a nuclear accident (God forbid) actually happen. A cometary impact event would of course cancel all odds.

Hope the best and prepare for the worst.

That didn't take long for a confirmation about the increased risk of nuclear radiation.

Today there was an article from Zerohedge:
_http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-02-19/concerns-grow-about-nuclear-incident-europe-after-spike-radioactive-iodine-levels

Concerns Grow About A Nuclear "Incident" In Europe After Spike In Radioactive Iodine Levels

Concerns about a potential, and so far unsubstantiated, nuclear "incident", reportedly in the vicinity of the Arctic circle, spread in the past week after trace amounts of radioactive Iodine-131 of unknown origin were detected in January over large areas in Europe according to a report by the Institute for Radiological Protection and Nuclear Safety, the French national public expert in nuclear and radiological risks. Since the isotope has a half-life of only eight days, the detection is an indication of a rather recent release. As the Barents Observer adds, "where the radioactivity is coming from is still a mystery."

The air filter station at Svanhovd - located a few hundred meters from Norway’s border to Russia’s Kola Peninsula in the north - was the first to measure small amounts of the radioactive Ionide-131 in the second week of January. Shortly thereafter, the same Iodine-131 isotope was measured in Rovaniemi in Finnish Lapland. Within the next two weeks, traces of radioactivity, although in tiny amounts, were measured in Poland, Czech Republic, Germany, France and Spain.

Norway was the first to measure the radioactivity, but France was the first to officially inform the public about it.

"Iodine-131 a radionuclide of anthropogenic origin, has recently been detected in tiny amounts in the ground-level atmosphere in Europe. The preliminary report states it was first found during week 2 of January 2017 in northern Norway. Iodine-131 was also detected in Finland, Poland, Czech Republic, Germany, France and Spain, until the end of January", the official French Institute de Radioprotection et de Süreté Nucléaire (IRSN) wrote in a press release.

screen_shot_2017-02-19_at_12.12.39.png

Source: Institute de Radioprotection et de Süreté Nucléaire.

No Health Concerns For Now

Mitigating some of the concerns, however, was the head of section for emergency preparedness at the Norwegian Radiation Protection Autority, Astrid Liland, who spoke to the Barents Observer and said the levels measured raise no health concerns. “We do measure small amounts of radioactivity in air from time to time because we have very sensitive measuring equipment. The measurements at Svanhovd in January were very, very low. So were the measurements made in neighbouring countries, like Finland. The levels raise no concern for humans or the environment. Therefore, we believe this had no news value,” Astrid Liland answers when asked why the public was not informed.

So again, the authorities are playing it down and saying that there is nothing to worry about and perhaps they are right. At the same time, I strongly doubt the authorities to come out and say that there is something to worry about. And if they do, it will mostly already be too late.

Again, it is not to hijack the thread, but just to say that it is prudent to keep taking Iodine. It is also interesting that the authorities are prepared for people to take dosages of 130mg without problem in case of an emergency, when that is almost 1000 times more than the RDI, currently suggested. Iodine can't be as bad as they otherwise make it out to be, me thinks.

If the image does not display, then go to the original at zerohedge following the link given. It displays the radiation measured in different European countries.

Aeneas, merci pour votre message mais le lien ne fonctionne pas...

Aeneas, thanks for your message but the link does not work ...

PERLOU said:
Aeneas, merci pour votre message mais le lien ne fonctionne pas...

Aeneas, thanks for your message but the link does not work ...

Just remove the underscore _ before the link and it will work: _http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-02-19/concerns-grow-about-nuclear-incident-europe-after-spike-radioactive-iodine-levels

Il faut juste enlever le soulignement _ avant le lien (qui serve pour desactiver le lien) et voila ça marchera: _http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-02-19/concerns-grow-about-nuclear-incident-europe-after-spike-radioactive-iodine-levels

Back
Top Bottom