Iodine and Potassium Iodide

Turgon said:
If it helps, I have an older FIR sauna blanket that I haven't used in years. I was going to sell it on kijiji but could ship it to the UK if you can eventually cover the cost of that. Unfortunately it's around 7 years old but I just checked to make sure and everything seems to be in good working order. It would probably be around $130.00 CDN to ship by boat.

If it's not multi voltage 120/240v, then she would need a transformer from 240 to 120 that can handle the power it uses. I'm not sure how many watts it uses because I don't have one.

Divide By Zero said:
Turgon said:
If it helps, I have an older FIR sauna blanket that I haven't used in years. I was going to sell it on kijiji but could ship it to the UK if you can eventually cover the cost of that. Unfortunately it's around 7 years old but I just checked to make sure and everything seems to be in good working order. It would probably be around $130.00 CDN to ship by boat.

If it's not multi voltage 120/240v, then she would need a transformer from 240 to 120 that can handle the power it uses. I'm not sure how many watts it uses because I don't have one.

If you get a North American to Europe adapter with a built-in power inverter it would work.

Turgon said:
Divide By Zero said:
Turgon said:

If you get a North American to Europe adapter with a built-in power inverter it would work.

Thank you guys! It looks like I have in fact found a nice gym with a sauna so I'll skip the blanket for now. But I really do appreciate your helpful offer Turgon!! :flowers:

Turgon said:
(...)
No worries. Most large gyms ideally do have a sauna included as part of the overall membership so hopefully you do find one and it helps with your health issues. I've got some MTHFR mutations and do notice a lot of positive effects from using the sauna. Also Jack Kruse has talked a bit about how getting proper sunlight in the morning (purple UV light) while grounding to the earth as well as some cold adaptation or showers can also go a long way.

Thank you for the additional resources and tips for me to check out too, I do need to learn as much as possible about this issue.

Ant22 said:
I had the test done in September last year and the result was positive for heterozygous C282Y mutation in the HFE gene. The reason why I want to get a full spectrum test done is that with this variant I should actually be a carrier, symptoms are apparently only likely to occur in 25% of cases. Apart from severe stomach aches I've had on and off since I was 14, other symptoms overlap with the MTHFR issues (also tested in September 2016 and the result was positive for homozygous A1298C). But when I look at MTHFR symptoms I'm a bit baffled because I just don't tick a lot of boxes - whilst I do for hemochromatosis. So until I get proper blood work done I'm kind of trying to shoot a moving target.

As for ferritin levels, I've only ever had my iron checked as my doctor said it was enough. The result was right at the top of the acceptable spectrum so my doctor concluded that no further tests were needed. At that point I didn't know enough so when I asked about serum ferritin levels I was told this was "basically the same thing as iron" and that was the end of the conversation. This is why I'm getting tests done back home. Hopefully my doc will be more open to further discussion when presented with actual test results. It's kind of sad that I have to go through all the hassle but oh well, character building I guess ;)

That's kind of crazy that the doc dismissed it like that. Did he/she know at that time of checking your ferritin levels that you have the gene mutation? That should have been grounds for him/her to write you a simple prescription for phlebotomies that you could take to the local blood donation place whenever it suited you. Did the dcc even tell you what your ferritin numbers were? Good to hear you're getting a bunch of bloods done back home, if it's not too expensive maybe you could add in a bunch of other things just to check (if they allow that).

Joe said:
(...)
That's kind of crazy that the doc dismissed it like that. Did he/she know at that time of checking your ferritin levels that you have the gene mutation? That should have been grounds for him/her to write you a simple prescription for phlebotomies that you could take to the local blood donation place whenever it suited you. Did the dcc even tell you what your ferritin numbers were? Good to hear you're getting a bunch of bloods done back home, if it's not too expensive maybe you could add in a bunch of other things just to check (if they allow that).

Thank you very much for your reply Joe! My work week got a little hectic towards the end and I had little time to get back to you earlier. You mentioned a bunch of other tests I could do, I’m sorry if I’m pushing it with questions but any chance you could suggest which other things would be good to check? Apart from ferritin, I’m getting the liver panel, thyroid tests, oestrogen and testosterone levels done.

I don't know what my results were because I foolishly didn’t ask about the exact numbers. Despite having done a bit of research into it, at that point I didn’t know what level of detail was relevant to enable the doctor to effectively determine what else needed to be done. Especially that my symptoms also overlapped with another condition I was diagnosed with. The main symptom the doctor focused on was stomach aches. They were really bad when I was in my teens and early 20ies but have since largely gone away. I guess the doctor might have combined that information with blood test results "within acceptable range" and he probably concluded that it’s all fine now. Plus, I was encouraged to contact him again if the symptoms got worse.

Yup, I think that's a bit crazy too although I wouldn’t entirely blame it on the doctor without taking other factors into account.

Despite the fact that I do think more questions should have been asked and the entire interaction was not exactly helpful it would be useful if I mentioned the context I’m operating in: I happen to live in a city with a population of 8 million people, many of them recent arrivals (including myself). At the same time the resources available to the healthcare system have been constantly shrinking.

Doctors now have 10 minutes per patient, if they overrun, they face delays to their entire day and failure to meet their formal KPIs. It is in fact doctors who are pushing for more time per patient because the current time limitations affect their ability to provide accurate help.
And if you add to the mix my own communication skills with the “talent” to over talk when I’m emotionally attached to an issue, I guess there is in fact a fair chance I didn’t exactly use my 10 minutes very effectively.

And in all honesty, apart from private medical tests costing a fraction of what I'd have to pay here, things are probably even worse back home. My health problems went undiagnosed for over a decade before I came here, despite the fact that I was constantly complaining about stomach aches and fatigue.

I guess given the limitations I’m up against it seems reasonable and efficient to get the blood work done before I approach the doctor again. Not to mention other issues, such as very limited knowledge about nutrition among doctors and focus on accurate prescription allocation rather than treating the cause. At the end of the day if I didn't take it upon myself to get to the root cause of my problems I'd most likely still be in the dark.

Ant22 said:
Thank you very much for your reply Joe! My work week got a little hectic towards the end and I had little time to get back to you earlier. You mentioned a bunch of other tests I could do, I’m sorry if I’m pushing it with questions but any chance you could suggest which other things would be good to check? Apart from ferritin, I’m getting the liver panel, thyroid tests, oestrogen and testosterone levels done.

Another avenue to take that I personally have had very good results with, if you're still struggling with health issues, is to find an Applied Kinesiology practitioner and see what they say regarding the issues. With the help of Applied Kinesiology practitioners (and research and lots and lots of questions and hypotheses I had them test), I've managed to correct a number of very tricky health problems. I wrote about it pretty extensively here:

https://www.sott.net/article/319266-SOTT-Exclusive-What-is-Applied-Kinesiology-and-what-can-it-do-for-you

and was also on one of the health and wellness shows talking about it:

https://www.sott.net/article/319609-The-Health-Wellness-Show-What-is-Applied-Kinesiology-and-what-can-it-do-for-you

Thus far, it's been the fastest, most effective, and most powerful healing system that I've encountered, though like pretty much any healing system it does have its limitations. I also consider it to be one of the least expensive as well, primarily due to its speed and efficacy.

Foxx said:
Ant22 said:

Another avenue to take that I personally have had very good results with, if you're still struggling with health issues, is to find an Applied Kinesiology practitioner and see what they say regarding the issues. With the help of Applied Kinesiology practitioners (and research and lots and lots of questions and hypotheses I had them test), I've managed to correct a number of very tricky health problems. I wrote about it pretty extensively here:

https://www.sott.net/article/319266-SOTT-Exclusive-What-is-Applied-Kinesiology-and-what-can-it-do-for-you

and was also on one of the health and wellness shows talking about it:

https://www.sott.net/article/319609-The-Health-Wellness-Show-What-is-Applied-Kinesiology-and-what-can-it-do-for-you

Thus far, it's been the fastest, most effective, and most powerful healing system that I've encountered, though like pretty much any healing system it does have its limitations. I also consider it to be one of the least expensive as well, primarily due to its speed and efficacy.

I've been reading about it since I saw your post Foxx, thanks for sharing! It's definitely worth a try, I now need to find a good Applied Kinesiologist in my area.

The article you wrote makes a very strong case for it and your analysis of the limitations of self-treatment certainly resonate with me ;)

Applied Kinesiology and muscle testing were actually mentioned in this thread before but having failed to get any results from self muscle testing I never looked into the concept in more detail. I really wish I had so thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Hi Keyhole, thank you very much for all the information you provided in response to my earlier posts. I’ve been meaning to reply earlier but I started to read about PUFAs, fish/krill oil etc. and there was always something more I wanted to research before I replied. In the meantime two weeks have passed. :)

I guess PUFA toxicity is not the whole banana in my case, but rather a powerful incremental improvement and a very important piece of the puzzle. Cutting them out has really helped me a lot and I am super grateful for all your info on this topic. :flowers:

As goyacobol said, the fact that you're not qualified doesn't define your actual knowledge base. My experience with qualified doctors has been less than happy and although I understand the limitations of the system, the most ignorant and harmful advice I've received came from fully qualified medical personnel. I now make sure I armour myself in knowledge and information because their ‘prescription allocation’ approach has done sweet nothing for me so far.

I think a forum like this comes with an additional safety net of members not trusting unverified information. Well, I definitely did hit the internet and followed your links to look into the matter more closely :)

Keyhole said:
Ant22 said:
Then my symptoms finally began to improve when I started the iodine protocol (December 2015) and started eating meat again (March 2016). I finally felt like I got my life back, gosh, after all these years of sleepwalking I just couldn’t believe it!

But then, out of the blue, my symptoms came back in June 2016, six months after I started the iodine protocol. I just couldn’t make them go away, my condition would improve for a couple of days only to return again. It was nowhere near as bad as before iodine but not as good as between March and June 2016 either.

Yeah, looks like there may be some thyroid issues. What is your temperature regulation like? Do you get cold hands and feet? I think Iodine can be amazing to kick start the thyroid again, but I think iodine deficiency is only a piece of the thyroid puzzle. (...)

I don’t get cold hands or feet although I am in fact quite sensitive to cold. I thought about it quite a lot recently and although this may be a symptom of underactive thyroid, I've also noticed that people from the same region of Europe as me do like to turn up the heating a lot. I live with two other girls from my part of Europe and you should see my heating bills! ;) Well, either that or thyroid issues are more common back home than where I live now! :O

Keyhole said:
Just so you know, in the 1940's physicians in the US were accustomed to test for thyroid issues in many patients. The main variables were: internal body temperature, pulse rate, achilles heel reflex, and other symptoms (not limited to the "hypothyroid symptoms" commonly promulgated by mainstream medicine). I think there was one estimate given by perhaps Dr Broda Barnes that up around 40% of the people tested who subclinically/clinically hypothyroid.

Fast forward a couple of year, when the thyroid blood panel became available and was purported to be effective, the 40% figure apparently went down to less than 5%! Because the blood tests appeared "healthy", people were no longer treated for hypothyroidism. According to Dr Ray Peat, blood tests are innaccurate measures for how well thyroid is being utilised by cells, although can provide some insight into the bigger picture if interpreted correctly. There is simply no way of testing this in a lab. Supposedly, the most effect way of testing is tried and true method of symptoms and physical examination.

It might seem strange that 40% of people showed up as hypothyroid, but when we consider that grains, plastics, estrogens, and other thyroid suppressing influences became ubiquitous in the 20th century, it is not surprising. In addition, traditional cultures used to regularly supplement thyroid hormone by consuming brains, blood, and glandular material. Eating purely muscle meat also provides the body with excess tryptophan, methionine, and cysteine - which suppress thyroid. The natural antidote to these inflammatory proteins were the inhibitory amino acids like glycine and proline, found in the collagen and bones of the animal, but people do not consume these parts of the animal any longer.

I’ve been taking glycine for a while now, I drink marrow bone broth and eat chicken soup cooked with whole pieces of chicken, including bones. I guess I’ll continue to do that!

As for other hypothyroid symptoms, apart from tiredness I don’t really get any of the "hypothyroid symptoms commonly promulgated by mainstream medicine”. So if thyroid is the underlying issue for me like you suggested then no wonder iodine has helped so much!

Keyhole said:
I have stated elsewhere on the forum that I think that unsaturated fats may act as environmental signals which convey specific information to the organism. Namely, that hibernation/a low energy state is approaching. We see this in many species, both plant and animal. The unsaturation of their tissues changes depending on which time of year it is. Hibernation in animals, and TOPOR in plants relies on unsaturated fatty acids, and seems to be the signal for animals to:

1. become insulin resistant (to gain adipose fat to sustain winter hibernation)
2. inhibit thyroid function to lower the metabolism (high metabolism would lead to starvation for an animal with no food)

It would also make sense that ketosis should be coupled with winter, unsaturation, cold temperatures, and low metabolically stressful conditions. In other words a low energy state. It is well known that ketosis produces less free radicals. Free radicals are a major problem with PUFAs in the body, so it makes sense that less should be produced. For more information on this topic, this blog is helpful: PUFA in evolutionary and environmental context

Perhaps there is a physiological role for PUFAs in humans living in traditional winter conditions, but that has changed now IMO.

My feelings on this are that we are not living in our traditional environment. Anyone can argue for eating the way that our ancestors evolved to eat, but to me this seems futile. We live in chronically stressful environments, with artificial light 24/7, and insane amounts of environmental toxicity. We are bombarded every single day. Therefore, a different strategy is called for IMO. I tend toward thinking that providing a constant supply of simpler, more readily accessible fuel is the safest way to approach the situation. Controversial yeah, but that's where I'm at at the moment.

Your approach is indeed controversial and I must say it does add up, although my own experience points towards the usefulness of eating like our ancestors did. Grains (especially gluten but not only that) just don’t agree with me. I feel best when I stick to meat and vegetables with occasional grainy or sweet snacks. I agree that a new approach is probably needed to combat issues that come with modern world lifestyle. But as mentioned earlier in this thread, apparently candida overgrowth is a body's response to environmental toxicity too as it entraps hard metals and toxins keeping them away from internal organs. I had issues with candida in the past due to overprescription of antibiotics (a year and a half between 2011-12) and this coping mechanism significantly aggravated my problems.
I don't know, maybe our bodies are still going through some evolutionary process of working out the best approach to environmental changes which are very recent?

I don’t know enough to develop a well-informed opinion on this yet but what I do know is that I have felt MUCH better since I stopped taking krill oil. I have re-introduced all other supplements back into my diet and I avoid PUFAs like the plague.
Well, of course there’s also a possibility that I have some sort of an allergy going on. One of my colleagues is allergic to berry fruit, another one to cucumbers, so why not krill oil ;)

I have had a new experience with tanning I would like to share that may be related to iodine. It may mean something or nothing.

So, during the Spring the last few years I lay in the tanning bed for 10 - 20 sessions to get a little base color so that I don't get a sunburn after a long winter ( I am pretty fair and our sun is very intense at 9500 ft). I usually have to start out real gradually over time at 3 min x2, 5 min x2, 7, 10, 13, 15 to finally make it to 20 min. If I overdue it I will be a little pink, skin will be a little sensitive, and perhaps even a rash, and then I have to abstain for a couple days.

Well recently I started my sessions with 3 min (no problem), went to 5 min (no problem), 10 (no problem), 15 (no problem), now only my 5th session for 17 min. I started thinking what could possibly be different and I think it is my taking 7 - 8 drops of 12% Lugol's iodine 5 days a week.

I searched and read on the fb Iodine Workshop forum that in a couple of posts people say they don't sunburn anymore.

So, I find it interesting and wondered if anyone else thought they don't burn as easily anymore? :cool:

That's an interesting experience. It could be the iodine as you hypothesize. Only thing I can say is that I was out in the sun a few times in the last few weeks and seemed to tan much faster, or so it seemed to me. I've been taking Lugol's 6% since late November 2015 (was doing 8 drops twice a day all week until May 2016; then began doing less, varying - but during those weeks where I was out in the sun recently I stopped taking iodine, and just restarted from 6 to 8 drops once a day). FWIW.

Interesting, I don't recall burning or getting sore anytime past summer. I didn't go to the beach much, but I do recall laying in the sun a long time.

Usually I don't burn much, but my face would feel tight and/or sore which goes away after a few days. I don't recall that either.

I'm sorry to change the direction of the conversation but I received my blood test results a couple of days ago and I would do with a bit of feedback. I've been taking iodine since December 2015 and this was the first time I had my TSH, FT3 and FT4 tested.

My TSH results are very high 8,090 uIU/ml, nearly double of what the acceptable range is (3,50 - 4,940).

It was mentioned earlier in this thread that this is to be expected and therefore it's pointless to do any thyroid tests for the first 6 months - but it's been nearly a year and a half for me.

At the same time my FT3 and FT4 results are within the range, which would indicate that it's iodine that is causing my TSH to be this high, rather that this being a thyroid issue.

Also, I actually feel pretty awesome and given where I was when I started taking iodine I would really push back on the idea to stop taking it. I was taking 6 drops of 12% Lugol until the day I got my results. I now lowered it to 4 drops and I'll see how it goes for a couple of days but I'm not sure if this was a good idea: I really feel great on 6 drops, heck, even my eyesight improved!

I do take selenium and co-factors, Celtic salt, vitamin C, R-ALA, Milk Thistle and a couple of other supplements.

I understand there are no doctors here but I'd really be grateful for some thoughts and opinions so I can research it a bit more and adjust the sails if necessary.

I can't exactly approach my doctor and tell him I've been taking iodine for so long and now I wonder why my TSH is so high.

Ant22 said:
Also, I actually feel pretty awesome and given where I was when I started taking iodine I would really push back on the idea to stop taking it. I was taking 6 drops of 12% Lugol until the day I got my results. I now lowered it to 4 drops and I'll see how it goes for a couple of days but I'm not sure if this was a good idea: I really feel great on 6 drops, heck, even my eyesight improved!

I wouldn't worry about the doctor. He or she might tell that you need thyroid medication, but if you feel great, then you both can agree to a test control in a few months to see if it worsens or gets better. As it is, it is called subclinical hypothyroidism when TSH is high and T3 and T4 are normal, plus there are no hypothyroidism symptoms. Subclinical hypothyroidism doesn't require treatment. TSH of 8 is higher than normal, but still acceptable for some clinicians just as long there is a follow up. The doc might suggest an ultrasound though. If the doc insists on treatment, try to compromise him for another follow-up before deciding anything.

6 drops of lugol 12% is around 90mg of iodine. That's too much, IMO. Better to stay to less than 50mg (3 drops of lugol 12%).

I had the same thing happening to me, only that my TSH went to 10-12. I tend to think that the iodine was still stimulating the TSH for creation of receptors, but it could be another thing.

I was doing lugol 3%, 5 drops (19mg) every other day. I tried to lower it to a drop or two, but when I re-took my previous dose, I could much feel better mood-wise. So now I'm compromising to 3 drops (12mg) and will see how it goes on my next test on May. It's been quite awhile since I last checked. Since I have other issues I've been working on, I haven't rushed to check my TSH levels until I know I've done enough efforts on the detox/nutritional support front. Also, all my thyroid antibodies were negative, so that was reassuring.

In case of positive antibodies then it probably means that the body is having problems utilizing iodine because there is too much oxidation.

FWIW, it seems that my energy levels improved since doing yoga, particularly the shoulder stand which directs blood flow directly into the thyroid gland: https://www.yogaoutlet.com/guides/how-to-do-supported-shoulderstand-in-yoga

Best to do a comprehensive yoga program, but thought I would mention it FWIW. Let's see if my TSH levels are better in my next test!

Gaby said:
(...)
I wouldn't worry about the doctor. He or she might tell that you need thyroid medication, but if you feel great, then you both can agree to a test control in a few months to see if it worsens or gets better. As it is, it is called subclinical hypothyroidism when TSH is high and T3 and T4 are normal, plus there are no hypothyroidism symptoms. Subclinical hypothyroidism doesn't require treatment. TSH of 8 is higher than normal, but still acceptable for some clinicians just as long there is a follow up. The doc might suggest an ultrasound though. If the doc insists on treatment, try to compromise him for another follow-up before deciding anything.

6 drops of lugol 12% is around 90mg of iodine. That's too much, IMO. Better to stay to less than 50mg (3 drops of lugol 12%).

I had the same thing happening to me, only that my TSH went to 10-12. I tend to think that the iodine was still stimulating the TSH for creation of receptors, but it could be another thing.

I was doing lugol 3%, 5 drops (19mg) every other day. I tried to lower it to a drop or two, but when I re-took my previous dose, I could much feel better mood-wise. So now I'm compromising to 3 drops (12mg) and will see how it goes on my next test on May. It's been quite awhile since I last checked. Since I have other issues I've been working on, I haven't rushed to check my TSH levels until I know I've done enough efforts on the detox/nutritional support front. Also, all my thyroid antibodies were negative, so that was reassuring.

In case of positive antibodies then it probably means that the body is having problems utilizing iodine because there is too much oxidation.

FWIW, it seems that my energy levels improved since doing yoga, particularly the shoulder stand which directs blood flow directly into the thyroid gland: https://www.yogaoutlet.com/guides/how-to-do-supported-shoulderstand-in-yoga

Best to do a comprehensive yoga program, but thought I would mention it FWIW. Let's see if my TSH levels are better in my next test!

Thank you for your response Gaby! Fingers crossed for your next thyroid test in May, it would be great if you could share the results once you have them :)

It's useful that you mentioned you have other issues you're working on, this is also the case with me. It gave me a thought that maybe people who have accompanying health conditions do need a slightly higher dose and it will take longer for their TSH to return to a more standard level.

My mom and her husband also supplement iodine and they started a month after me. Their thyroid results are fine but they didn't have any specific issues they wanted to address. It was more of a preventative measure for them.

I've never tried yoga although I've been thinking about it for a while. I currently do quite an intense form of exercise but I'm beginning to think it's not for me. The benefits of the shoulder stand look really inspiring and some of them match exactly the areas where I would do with some improvement!

You mentioned an ultrasound in your post, it would probably be a good idea for me to get one done. I had it done around 2 years ago and the doctor that does it discusses the 'findings' with the patient to make recommendations for any further action. I'm not a doctor myself so I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between images showing thyroid ultrasound and a weather forecast so I wouldn't be confident to attempt any self-diagnosis here.

But like I said, I do feel very well so I wasn't sure whether re-adjusting the dose would do me any favours.

I got the blood tests done privately so my doctor won't know about them. I mentioned iodine to him before and got a borderline emotional lecture on thyroid damage I was bringing on myself so I much prefer to keep quiet about it. :whistle:

Ant22 said:
I'm sorry to change the direction of the conversation but I received my blood test results a couple of days ago and I would do with a bit of feedback. I've been taking iodine since December 2015 and this was the first time I had my TSH, FT3 and FT4 tested.

My TSH results are very high 8,090 uIU/ml, nearly double of what the acceptable range is (3,50 - 4,940).

It was mentioned earlier in this thread that this is to be expected and therefore it's pointless to do any thyroid tests for the first 6 months - but it's been nearly a year and a half for me.

At the same time my FT3 and FT4 results are within the range, which would indicate that it's iodine that is causing my TSH to be this high, rather that this being a thyroid issue.

I do take selenium and co-factors, Celtic salt, vitamin C, R-ALA, Milk Thistle and a couple of other supplements.

I understand there are no doctors here but I'd really be grateful for some thoughts and opinions so I can research it a bit more and adjust the sails if necessary.

I can't exactly approach my doctor and tell him I've been taking iodine for so long and now I wonder why my TSH is so high.

Funny you should bring this up today, Ant22. I just got my blood analysis in the mail today. Below are my results. My TSH is a little high at 5.22, AST 43 high, ALT 73 high, and Cholesterol (below). I have been taking Lugol's 12% this year starting in Jan. after taking 8 - 9 months off - working slowly from 1 drop to now 7 - 8 drops 5 days a week - which I seem to be tolerating very well. I didn't seem to do as well last year, perhaps from being perimenopausal (almost 55 now).

Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated ( Dr. Gaby?) :)

Attachments

• 20170417_170030.jpg
    20170417_170030.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 149
  • 20170417_170243.jpg
    20170417_170243.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 138
Back
Top Bottom