Iodine and Potassium Iodide

Gaby said:
josev said:
Hello everyone. I would appreciate if someone can help me with the symptoms I'm having, I don't know if it is iodine saturation, gallstones, candida or a combination.

(...) Then I would add 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (ACV) diluted in a little bit of water right before eating. Don't eat more fat than your body can handle either. Your digestion will improve with the help of the ACV. ACV will also energize you, so try to not take it too late.

Hey josev, speaking from my own experience, I'd like to second Gaby's suggestion regarding apple cider vinegar. It has repeatedly helped me with any digestive issues I've had so far, especially increased animal fat intake. In the Ketogenic Diet thread digestive enzymes were suggested to help with that but somehow they were making me feel sluggish and heavy in the stomach. ACV has pretty much done the same job digestive enzymes were said to do with no side benefits.

I now fry everything in beef or duck fat and if I'm heating my food up I put additional butter/tallow on it too as my body can handle it much better with ACV.

That said, we are all different and I've noticed my responses to various substances or treatments are often not very standard :)

But I think ACV helps the digestive system regardless of how 'non-standard' ones system is. When I was on holiday last month me and my mom had quite intense nausea after an ice-cream dessert (yup, I caved in :-[). We both had a shot of diluted ACV and the nausea was gone pretty quickly. I don't know what was in those desserts but ACV seemed to have enhanced our stomachs' ability to deal with it.

Also, as Gaby said, ACV does have an energising effect. It basically wakes me up just like coffee does so adding it to my diet has enabled me to lower my coffee intake.

Hi josev,

you received very good advice so far. So I am just going to add my own experience, in case it may help:

I started iodine this April with a too high dose of iodine (12,5 mg in form of Iodoral), and it also went along with constipation. Though this could have also been caused by bentonite clay which I used as detox helper in the gut. And if I remember right, I did not drink enough.

So, after a break of one week or so (also due to other symptoms I had from iodine) I started out again on a much lower dose (1 drop of 1% Lugol's) - first on the heel and later in water. Also, I changed the bentonite clay for chlorella (which my body really likes). The constipation symptoms got better then. Maybe this was also due to making sure that I drank enough of water during the day - as this can help keep the stool softer.

As for your gallbladder issues, I haven't seen you mentioned milk thistle. Many people here including myself are using it to support their livers and also gallbladders.

Here's more information:

Milk Thistle: Boosting Your Liver Function The Natural Way

Milk Thistle: The many unknown benefits

josev said:
Should I take selenium and salt water again? I left the protocol when the whole thing got worse. I got himalaya salt and left the sea salt as I was not sure of its quality.

I would take both again as the salted water helps with the detox and iodine can only work best together with selenium.

My couple of cents :)

Ant22 said:
In the Ketogenic Diet thread digestive enzymes were suggested to help with that but somehow they were making me feel sluggish and heavy in the stomach. ACV has pretty much done the same job digestive enzymes were said to do with no side benefits.

I now fry everything in beef or duck fat and if I'm heating my food up I put additional butter/tallow on it too as my body can handle it much better with ACV.
Thanks for sharing that Ant22. I had kind of suspected that I was experiencing similar symptoms when taking digestive enzymes but couldn't be sure. Now that you have said you have experienced the same I think I may have been able to identify another trigger for my symptoms. Thanks! I wasn't sure that they could have that effect and was having difficulty pin-pointing where the discomfort was coming from.

josev said:
I felt good eating like this, I was up all day and I didn't have to worry about the food, just I felt the stomach a little heavier. At that time I began to feel soft "bubbles" below the sternum, in the center, I discontinued the iodine one week, a month ago, to see if they disappeared but my energy decayed visibly then I returned to take 10 drops. I thought the bubbles and slow digestion were a small price to pay for the time saved. Now with the information I read, that I had skipped, I realize that I am a fool, don't need to be told ... but if you want xD

The area below the sternum contains both the transverse colon and the area where the stomach joins with the esophagus through the diaphragm, so based on that description there could be an issue with the transverse colon (large intestine) or with the stomach. So some possibilities that come to mind are a hiatal hernia (which is typically suggested as being the result of long term insufficient stomach acid) and/or a pathogen in the transverse colon. If apple cider vinegar and/or HCL helps, then there may be an issue either with the stomach or still a hiatal hernia. A chiropractor or an Applied Kinesiologist could potentially adjust a hiatal hernia, if that's the issue. Also, issues (ie: muscle tension) with the left shoulder could indicate a stomach problem, while issues with the right shoulder could indicate issues with the liver/gallbladder.

Are you also taking magnesium? If you are, you may need to increase the dose and find a dose that keeps bowel movements regular without inducing diarrhea. I am of the opinion that magnesium malate and magnesium glycinate are probably generally the best forms to take.

Based on your other descriptions, I would lean towards a pathogen in the large intestine, either the transverse colon specifically or the large intestine in general, perhaps a parasite that has an affinity for fat and iodine. Alternatively, I have become pretty strongly convinced that in some cases, yeasts and molds can feed off of fat and ketones and even iodine (and form biofilms, making things significant more complicated), so it may be worth trying some anti-fungals to see if that helps. I've found neem (primarily for molds), oregano oil (primarily for yeasts--be careful with oregano oil since it can also kill good bacteria), undecenoic acid, and caprylic acid effective in these instances. Neem and undecenoic acid would be the first things I would try. If there's a biofilm, I believe the biofilm will have to be dealt with at the same time for any treatment to be effective, and this could make the treatment significantly more complicated.

Considering that you responded well to wormwood, then there may be a parasite, so continuing on with the wormwood would likely be helpful. I've also used noni for parasites and food-grade diatomaceous earth, while some also recommend adding clove oil and black walnut for parasites.

It's also worth keeping in mind that there could be multiple issues going on.

josev said:
Another thing I see now, since I started the protocol I consumed all the supplements that Gaby talks about, in her iodine's sott focus, except vitamin B3, I took herbs for the liver. I started to take (B3) 10 days before everything worsened, to see if the bubbles improved, the first few days was all right, I only took 500 mg but when I took 1000mg I started to feel unbearable itchy and redness of the skin, there were days I didn't feel nothing, but the last three days I had to take aspirin for the itching to pass, the last day I consumed B3 I also did two aspirin since the itching didn't stop with only one. Now I see that was a mistake to take B3 when the liver doesn't work well, I mean, I read that but I thought that wasn't my problem.

Sounds like you're taking niacin (which causes a "flush" that you're describing), whereas niacinamide was recommended for the iodine protocol, which doesn't cause a flush, so it may help to switch to niacinamide.

Good luck josev and I hope you find a solution soon!

Hi josev, am I correct in reading that your issues started around the same time that you began eating sweet potato and other carbohydrate?

Your symptoms could indicate many different things. The ball in the stomach may suggest slow emptying from the stomach into the small intestine. Taken together with your other symptoms, it would seem that you may suffer from low stomach acid production.

You should consider getting tested for H.pylori infection via stool test (and possibly breath test). Your doctor should be able to do this for you. From what I understand, H.pylori is pretty common and 90% of the time goes undiagnosed. For anyone else who also does not tolerate Hcl/digestive enzyme supplements - they should also test for H.pylori.

If you do have low stomach acid, then there is also a good chance that there is bacterial/yeast overgrowth in the small intestine. Stomach acid is the body's main way of defending against pathogens as they enter via the mouth, and when there is not much stomach acid, bacteria manage to survive and then colonise the intestine. Usually these are called "anaerobic", which means that they do not need oxygen to live. When fermentable fibres in carbohydrate foods are eaten, the undigested fibres are metabolised by the bacteria to produce hydrogen and methane gases. This is the bad smell from the gas that is produced. This is quite common, yet is notoriously difficult to overcome (I myself am still working on this issue).

Candida may be an issue, although I would think that candida is a secondary problem - meaning that candida is not necessarily the cause of your problem, but rather a symptom.

First of all, I would definitely prioritise the H.Pylori test so that you can rule that out.

I am waiting for my own results for this test, and strongly suspect that I have it. If you do have some infection or other problem that lowers your ability to produce stomach acid, then "gut healing" and anti-parastic/antibacterial supplements might be useless in the long run. I can speak from experience here, since I have spent about £1000 on gut testing and antibacterial supplement protocols since the beginning of 2017, and still have not got to the bottom of the issue. So I think it is always best to investigate before investing much money in any particular treatment when it is based on guesswork.

lainey said:
Ant22 said:
In the Ketogenic Diet thread digestive enzymes were suggested to help with that but somehow they were making me feel sluggish and heavy in the stomach. ACV has pretty much done the same job digestive enzymes were said to do with no side benefits.

Thanks for sharing that Ant22. I had kind of suspected that I was experiencing similar symptoms when taking digestive enzymes but couldn't be sure. Now that you have said you have experienced the same I think I may have been able to identify another trigger for my symptoms. Thanks! I wasn't sure that they could have that effect and was having difficulty pin-pointing where the discomfort was coming from.

I'm glad it helped you work out where the issue was coming from and I hope it helps you resolve it too! :) I initially thought I was struggling with these enzymes because I had been vegetarian for over a decade and my system was getting used to digesting meat and animal fat again. But then I saw it recommended on this forum by people whose diets didn't involve similar 'mishaps' to mine. It was quite a relief to discover that ACV helped.

[quote author=Keyhole] (...) From what I understand, H.pylori is pretty common and 90% of the time goes undiagnosed. For anyone else who also does not tolerate Hcl/digestive enzyme supplements - they should also test for H.pylori. (...)[/quote]

Hmmmm... I think it could be us lainey. I'll read up about it a bit more to get a fuller picture but my doctor back home did actually mention H.pylori testing before :(

Ant22 said:
I'm glad it helped you work out where the issue was coming from and I hope it helps you resolve it too! :) I initially thought I was struggling with these enzymes because I had been vegetarian for over a decade and my system was getting used to digesting meat and animal fat again. But then I saw it recommended on this forum by people whose diets didn't involve similar 'mishaps' to mine. It was quite a relief to discover that ACV helped.

I also respond much better to ACV than enzymes. I have no problem digesting my breakfast of bacon, sausage and eggs with a healthy dollop of butter, but for some reason if I eat something fatty for dinner or just eat too late (past 6pm and my digestion struggles) my stomach can get gurgly. Probably a result of sluggish liver. But, if I take a little bit of ACV with water, usually the feeling subsides within 5-10 minutes. I also do that when I wake up in the middle of the night and can't fall back asleep. Sometimes I have racing thoughts, other times not so much, but either way I'll drink some ACV with water and I feel better almost immediately and am able to fall back asleep within 20 minutes. The stuff is amazing!

Merci pour vos partages, je vais essayer le vinaigre d cidre bio, 2 cuillères à soupe dans un grand verre d'eau...

Thank you for your sharing, I will try the organic cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons in a large glass of water ...

Gaby said:
I would cut down the iodine intake to the minimum required without seeing a drop in energy. You could experiment with 2-4 drops every other day.
You might be having too much vitamin C, at least more than your digestive system can absorb. Your body can't absorb more than 4 grams at a time. I would take only 2-4 grams per day until your digestive system settles down.
Then I would add 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (ACV) diluted in a little bit of water right before eating. Don't eat more fat than your body can handle either. Your digestion will improve with the help of the ACV. ACV will also energize you, so try to not take it too late.

I forgot to mention apple cider vinegar, I looked for it and I couldn't get it organic, it's from brazil and if the apples are not filled with pesticides they sure are close to an soybean field XD it also contains INS 224 (potassium metabisulfite). It is best if I take this while I order the organic one or wait? It would take it 12 days to get here.

Thanks for all your answers, they were useful to see more things, I have to rest now and I'll write about and answer the questions later. I'm very slow to write and translate into English.

Ant22 said:
Hmmmm... I think it could be us lainey. I'll read up about it a bit more to get a fuller picture but my doctor back home did actually mention H.pylori testing before :(
It could well be. I'll book in to get tested and let you know how I get on at the doctors. Seems like ACV is the way to go for now though.

Foxx said:
Based on your other descriptions, I would lean towards a pathogen in the large intestine, either the transverse colon specifically or the large intestine in general, perhaps a parasite that has an affinity for fat and iodine. Alternatively, I have become pretty strongly convinced that in some cases, yeasts and molds can feed off of fat and ketones and even iodine (and form biofilms, making things significant more complicated), so it may be worth trying some anti-fungals to see if that helps. I've found neem (primarily for molds), oregano oil (primarily for yeasts--be careful with oregano oil since it can also kill good bacteria), undecenoic acid, and caprylic acid effective in these instances. Neem and undecenoic acid would be the first things I would try. If there's a biofilm, I believe the biofilm will have to be dealt with at the same time for any treatment to be effective, and this could make the treatment significantly more complicated.

Keyhole said:
Hi josev, am I correct in reading that your issues started around the same time that you began eating sweet potato and other carbohydrate?
You should consider getting tested for H.pylori infection via stool test (and possibly breath test). Your doctor should be able to do this for you. From what I understand, H.pylori is pretty common and 90% of the time goes undiagnosed. For anyone else who also does not tolerate Hcl/digestive enzyme supplements - they should also test for H.pylori.
If you do have low stomach acid, then there is also a good chance that there is bacterial/yeast overgrowth in the small intestine. Stomach acid is the body's main way of defending against pathogens as they enter via the mouth, and when there is not much stomach acid, bacteria manage to survive and then colonise the intestine. Usually these are called "anaerobic", which means that they do not need oxygen to live. When fermentable fibres in carbohydrate foods are eaten, the undigested fibres are metabolised by the bacteria to produce hydrogen and methane gases. This is the bad smell from the gas that is produced. This is quite common, yet is notoriously difficult to overcome (I myself am still working on this issue).

Thanks Foxx and Keyhole for your comments, I could see some things for that. Keyhole, I will answer your question about carbohydrates intake below

Foxx said:
Are you also taking magnesium? If you are, you may need to increase the dose and find a dose that keeps bowel movements regular without inducing diarrhea. I am of the opinion that magnesium malate and magnesium glycinate are probably generally the best forms to take.

Yes, I’ve been taking 3-4 g of magnesium glycinate the last two months, and since a few days I also took it before the first meal.
Looking at H. pylori I realized that I have the symptoms of Dyspepsia: (in bold everything I did to deserve it)

Translated from spanish:

The causes of this condition are unknown in most patients. In some cases, symptoms may occur after an excessive meal or by ingestion of certain drugs that cause lesions on the gastric mucosa, such as aspirin or anti-inflammatory drugs.
It is also possible that the cause is due to psychological problems, such as stress, anxiety or depression.
Some patients with dyspepsia may have a wound or erosion, called an ulcer, in the stomach or in the duodenum, most of which is caused by a bacterium called Helicobacter pylori.

The causes for most cases of dyspepsia are excessive consumption of alcohol, intake of spicy foods, or very greasy, and ingest large amounts of food in a short time.
Other reasons may be smoking, high-fiber foods or consuming too much caffeine. (I started to drink coffee a teaspoon before the first meal some weeks ago)

Which in turn is related to aerophagia, swallowing air while eating, drinking, or smoking which can cause the same symptoms. I realize I do this some time ago, I swallow air when I drink hot tea or coffee and a month ago or so I started smoking tobacco, and maybe I don't do it right XD I left it for the moment, maybe isn't for me.

Another thing I did this year, in relation to the previous three years is to ate at least one product with additives every day salami, palm heart or olives and a teaspoon of honey a day. (However I saw that two teaspoons a day could be good for digestion and infections)

Foxx said:
Sounds like you're taking niacin (which causes a "flush" that you're describing), whereas niacinamide was recommended for the iodine protocol, which doesn't cause a flush, so it may help to switch to niacinamide.

:headbash: Here you can see that I did not read that article correctly. In addition to all previous causes, I took 10 drops of iodine for almost a year without B3, NAC and Alpha-Lipoic Acid. Only herbs for the liver although not every day :-[

Seeing what I can take for dyspepsia by H. Pylori, I saw that apple cider vinegar is for that too, but I will wait until I have it organic, meanwhile, I drink yesterday a shake with:
three cloves of garlic
half onion
5 sticks of celery
a fist of parsley
Two glasses, two hours before each meal (4 glasses in total)

I felt a very slight vibration in the eyes and brain but then nothing (my father and sister, who don't eat very well, had erupts with only half a drink) Half an hour before eating I had wormwood tea with cloves.

I'm no longer swollen and I'm going to the bathroom three days in a row, although with a slight constipation yet. I'm wait the supplements I named earlier, plus NAC, lemongrass and clove oil. It may not be necessary for H. pylori in my case, but it is good to have them for what I read.

P.D: Today when I woke up I had strong breath, I spit saliva on my pillow with seaweed odor, and I have a little acidity in my stomach, which disappeared when I took the garlic juice again and do what I said before.

Keyhole said:
I am waiting for my own results for this test, and strongly suspect that I have it. If you do have some infection or other problem that lowers your ability to produce stomach acid, then "gut healing" and anti-parastic/antibacterial supplements might be useless in the long run. I can speak from experience here, since I have spent about £1000 on gut testing and antibacterial supplement protocols since the beginning of 2017, and still have not got to the bottom of the issue. So I think it is always best to investigate before investing much money in any particular treatment when it is based on guesswork.

Sorry to hear that Keyhole. Did you try with dry or fresh herbal tea? For what I read, and I'm not surprised, It seems that these combine with some juice vegetables give better results in dyspepsia with or without h. pylori, and that aggressive treatments specially with antibiotics can be worse. Related to this:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1618379/
It was previously postulated that changes in microbial ecology are influencing human height, with diminished microbial transmission early in life contributing to the overall height increases that took place in all developed nations during the twentieth century (Beard & Blaser, 2002). By extension, I now postulate that a similar effect will be seen, or is already being seen, on human weight.

The second example is the interaction of the gastric bacterium Helicobacter pylori with humans, and the consequences of ending this intricate and long-standing relationship. In fact, H. pylori can be regarded as a paradigm of how changes in indigenous microbiota affect human health (Fig 2). Studies of the gastric helicobacters in other mammals, and of human migration patterns over time (Ghose et al, 2002; Falush et al, 2003), suggest that the forebears of modern H. pylori have been present in our ancestors since well before we became humans. The bacterium is also of interest because diagnostic tools are now able to determine its presence or absence in the human stomach, and epidemiological methods can study its effects on human health.

Figure 2
Hypothetical relationship of Helicobacter pylori with human health and disease. There is now considerable evidence that H. pylori has colonized the stomach of humans for more than 100,000 years. Its persistence and ubiquity before modern times suggest selection for its presence, possibly based on enhanced protection against diarrhoeal diseases and improved energy homeostasis (for example, leptin/ghrelin-mediated; in parallel with Fig 1).

Although H. pylori was once present in almost every adult human, the bacterium is now rapidly disappearing from human populations owing to changes in sanitation, demographics and antibiotic usage. Today, fewer than 10% of children in the USA harbour this bacterium in their stomach. When present, H. pylori is the single dominant species in the stomach (Bik et al, 2006), so its disappearance is potentially significant.

Through its pro-inflammatory effects, H. pylori modulates immunological, endocrine and physiological functions in the stomach (Blaser & Atherton, 2004), with both local and systemic manifestations (Fig 2). The biological costs of carrying H. pylori include peptic ulcers and adenocarcinoma of the distal stomach. The (cag+) strains that interact to the greatest extent chemically with their hosts convey the highest risks. Conversely, these strains also protect against gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and its consequences, including oesophageal adenocarcinoma, owing in part to their effects on gastric-acid secretion (Peek & Blaser, 2002). These observations are consistent with the rise of these diseases wherever H. pylori is disappearing, and therefore provide the first definitive example of a group of chronic diseases caused by changes in the human microbiota.

(I realize now, maybe the problem is that high dosis of Iodine, specially without the correct supplementation as it is my case, kill H. pylori?)

I saw the above study in this article from Spanish Society of Phytotherapy related to the treatmeant of H. pylori with oregano (translated from spanish)

http://www.sefit.es/tratamiento-helicobacter-pylori-aceites-esenciales-quimiotipados/
After obtaining such positive results in symptomatic improvement (82%) despite a reduced negativization rate (27%), it seems that the EO (essential oil) of compact oregano in some cases negativizes the test and in others it controls the bacterial proliferation, causing them to disappear the symptoms. In fact, the analytical tests can not assure the total eradication of the bacteria. For this reason, it is preferable to speak of negativization of the test, since there can always be a bacterial presence that can proliferate again to cause discomfort again.

Finally, the main thing is to combat the symptomatology instead of the negativization of the test that, after all, can not assure the eradication of the bacterium. In addition, studies are increasingly pointing out that Helicobacter pylori may be a bacterium that is part of our natural gastric flora. According to Dr. Martin J. Blaser *, its elimination would have negative consequences for the organism, as it is associated with a dramatic increase in the prevalence of gastroesophageal reflux and esophageal cancer. Similarly, H. pylori appears to have a regulatory role for gastric hormones, affecting leptin and ghrelin.

The fact that the chemotipated essential oil treatment of origanum compactum is able to resolve the gastric discomfort in 82% of the patients even without negativizing the test of Helicobacter pylori seems to indicate that it reduces the number of colonies of this bacterium, reestablishing the microbiological balance of the stomach. Since eradication of the bacteria does not appear to be complete nor desirable, this therapeutic option is very interesting. In this sense, the treatment of gastric discomfort with chelated essential oil of compact oregano offers us interesting advantages.

The recommended dosage to treat Helicobacter pylori is 2 capsules of 75 mg of Origanum compactum essential oil every 6 hours for 10 days.

As the oregano dose and frequency of consumption is higher, therefore more difficult and expensive, I opted to try the lemongrass oil, it is one of the most popular herbs in my country to drink with tereré, a drink similar to the mate but cold, I had never paid much attention to it. And there is several information and popular knowledge related to the use of lemongrass tea against dyspepsia, bacteria and as a digestive in my country, and throughout Latin America the use of the oil for the same, unfortunately it is all in Spanish. But I will write my experience with the herbs and vegetables I used later.

Additionally I found this about lemongrass in wikipedia spanish but it is not in the English version, or I missed it (Lippia citriodora it's the species in my country)

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1523-5378.2003.00146.x/abstract
Results. Thirteen essential oils used in this study completely inhibited the growth of H. pylori in vitro at a concentration of 0.1% (v/v). Cymbopogon citratus (lemongrass) and Lippia citriodora (lemon verbena) were bactericidal against H. pylori at 0.01% at pH 4.0 and 5.0. Resistance to lemongrass did not develop even after 10 sequential passages, whereas resistance to clarithromycin developed under the same conditions. In in vivo studies, the density of H. pylori in the stomach of mice treated with lemongrass was significantly reduced compared with untreated mice.

I started to think about how diseases relate to emotions and how I neglected myself so much to have the problem that I told above.

In general terms I can say that my problem was that I was asleep, paying attention only to what I wanted, it is as if I wanted to kill my digestive system. But also to the great anxiety that I feel for not wasting time, which prevented me from doing many things correctly, not correctly inform myself about Iodine protocol, eating only once a day, eating fast, swallowing air, start working in the computer again after eating without rest a little, not take time to exercise, the breathing, etc. I don't know if my constipation is a coincidence but I could have suffered many other illnesses, but that anxiety I think is related to many blocked emotions. In short, I just wanted to share that, I don't know if it makes sense

Hi everyone.

josev, I think you are onto something with regard your present symptoms/condition. All these things play a role. And over and over I see alternative health people talking about emotional stress as THE most important aspect of one's life to address if one is to improve one's overall health. (I've suffered from chronic constipation my entire adult life, and address this more below.)

On Hashimoto's

I thought I'd mention what I've done concerning Hashimoto's, which I brought up earlier on the thread. Actually, I noticed that my anti-thyroglobulin antibodies went down in my last blood work, as opposed to blood work done six months prior. It could be I'm one of the few people who react to Lugol's solution in this way, since at the time of the first blood test I'd been doing 15mg twice a week, along with the co-factors such as selenium, which I'd been doing for a long while before starting with the Lugol's.

Anyway, I decided to look into the holistic take on Hashimoto's and saw that it's often linked to intestinal issues such as leaky gut. And since I've been suffering from candida (to varying degrees) and chronic constipation my whole adult life it made sense to have another look at my diet, etc., related to that.

Anyway, it's been a couple of months now since changing my diet -- replacing cow's milk dairy (I was mostly consuming yogurt and kefir) with goat's milk yogurt and kefir; I stopped a protein drink that was a very good product with green pea, and quinoa, etc., only it contained a small amount of fructose.; I started taking a tablespoon of coconut oil daily, and using it in cooking as well. Oh, and I add 2 tblspns of ground flax to the smoothie I make with the goat's milk yogurt (which also contains, among other things, some organic blueberries, the only fruit I'm allowed just now). I also soak chia seeds and drink that down as well. And I started making chicken bone broth, which is good for the intestinal lining and the thyroid. Also: I've temporarily stopped having any whole grains, seeds and nuts, and beans. These are not the best for the thyroid. Plus, there may be a sensitivity to grains that I'm not aware of so it's maybe best to stay off them until I heal my gut.

I am aware of goitrogens in certain vegetables (which interfere with thyroid function), but have decided that the benefits exceed the down side. I suppose it's best to rotate foods as well as you can in that regard.

Oh, and I started drinking more water -- but not to the point of craziness. I drink more when I feel to be detoxing. Still, I'm more consistent in this.

Anyway, in less that two weeks after changing my diet I started to turn around my constipation, which I've suffered from for a number of decades now (!!) It's funny, even though I've worked on this problem in the past it's only now that these various factors have worked together to yield such favorable results. I'm still rather shocked by this. It truly is life altering. For the last two years even herbal laxatives weren't working so I've had to rely on enemas and coffee enemas, which gets depressing if you HAVE to do them all week long.

So, I will get re-tested in mid-October, I'm thinking, just to see if what I'm doing more holistically is having an effect on the thyroid as well. I know I'm sleeping better and my fatigue is better, as is the brain fog. These things also correspond with how much antifungals I take. At one point I was taking too much and there were too many awful symptoms to take on at once -- oh, and my constipation returned. So, instead, I'm going very slowly. For me this seems to be the best approach. For others here they seem to benefit from the "nuke 'em all" approach.

Question: one of the foods recommended in my research is wild caught Alaskan salmon. I see that there are varying opinions on the safely of Alaskan salmon due to radioactivity from the Fukushima plant. It seems to be more of a problem with tuna than salmon, but I'm wondering what you all have read on this topic, and what your opinion is. Farmed salmon is said to be highly toxic, and is not good for the environment, and even negatively impacts on salmon in the wild. There are also organically farmed salmon, although I'm not too sure how different that is from just plain farmed.

Anyway, I've been having quite a bit of wild caught Alaskan salmon lately, so I'm wondering whether this is wise or not. It would be too bad to remove it from my diet, as I've always loved salmon, and it just seems so nourishing in ways that other proteins do not. For me, at least.

Hi Josev, I have just read about your constipation and symptoms. Potatoes as a nightshade plant has some substances that act as antinutrient, so if you eat it for a long time you can start to experiment problems in your digestive system. I suggest you to avoid it for a time, not so the cassava, which I think represent no problems.

As vinegar upset my throat even diluted, and I have not access to betaine hydrochloride, I take some vitamin C with the meal in case I feel the digestion turns slow and in this way increase the acidity, with good results.

As I suspect from many time ago, any illness start when some factors point in the same direction. I.e: stomach acidity when I am nervous, take a high carb meal and much coffee in the morning, all factor that tend to produce much acid. So you have to "attack" the problem from its multiple faces. One of that facets is the psychological: for the constipation, Is there something that you can't let go?

_http://www.ecoutetoncorps.com/en/resources/metaphysical-definitions-20-illnessesdiseasesdisorders/constipation/

EMOTIONAL BLOCK

The primary function of the bowel is to evacuate what is no longer useful to the body. In metaphysical terms, optimal health hinges on the release of old ideas that are being carried around. Constipation also indicates lack of expression of one's ideas or feelings for fear of displeasing others, being "wrong," or risking the loss of something or someone.

If you are stingy or attached to material things, you probably have difficulty letting go physically as well. Constipation can occur when you feel you are being forced to part with your coveted time or money. When you do give of these things (out of guilt), it is not willingly and you would have preferred to hold on to them. Constipation can result from the stress brought on by an inability to let go of a past incident, which importance has since been exaggerated by dark thoughts or feelings of anger, frustration, suspicion, humiliation or jealousy.

MENTAL BLOCK

If you suffer from constipation, your body is giving you a powerful message that it's time to let go! Stale ideas and old belief systems will accumulate and eventually poison you, so "out with the old and in with the new!" Feed your mind with fresh thoughts and ideas. Don't restrain yourself any longer with fear of losing someone or something. It would be worth it to find out if you would truly be a loser if you expressed yourself or did what you want. Now, isn't that a better attitude to have?

Back
Top Bottom