Iodine and Potassium Iodide

Small update: My swelling has subsided. I took a bath with clay and sodium bicarbonate yesterday, and it made a huge difference. Didn't have time to do a sauna, but will see if I get around to it today. I've been taken NAC, vit. C and the salt water several times a day, plus milk thistle for the liver. In any case, it's not any worse! Some bumps are the same, some got better. My eyelids are 50% less swollen.

Staying off the iodine for a few days, before resuming but in much smaller doses.

Thanks to those who asked! Just posting updates in case any of you have any strong detox symptoms too. I've received messages on FB from people who don't post much here, but who have had reactions like this or worse (like full blown abscesses) when on the antibiotic protocol. People seem to be loaded with toxins, and we don't even realize it until we start working on eliminating them. So, be careful everyone, and go slowly!

Perlou, kiwis or any other fruit won't give you enough vitamin C if that's what you want. You can get "acide ascorbique" in France, and one teaspoon = 4-5 grams. That's a good dose for detox.

Altair, very interesting! I've noticed cold showers being slightly "easier" (or rather, less difficult :-[) since taking iodine.

Gaby said:
Andre' said:
from my little research from where to buy lugol's iodine where i live(in Italy), it seems without a medical prescription it's not possible(because by the Italian law iodine in high doses is considered as poison), except the one which is only 2%, lugol's iodine 2% which theoretically i can buy it from an online shop, i will go to the drug store today and will find out if i can get the iodine without medical prescription, otherwise will have to get the prescription. :cry:

Have you tried eBay? That is often a solution for "strict custom controls".

I went to the drug store and i could buy only antiseptic iodine that contains iodine 7 g, iodine potassium 5 g, ethyl alcohol(small dose) and purified water( small dose), and i presume i can't used it right? Since it didn't cost me much i bought in anyway, but just to be sure i would like to ask you Gaby can i use this one?
Otherwise i will try to buy lugol's iodine from eBay, don't know if they can deliver it in Italy though, i have to check out.

Chu said:
Small update: My swelling has subsided.

:thup: :flowers:

Andre' said:
Since it didn't cost me much i bought in anyway, but just to be sure i would like to ask you Gaby can i use this one?
Otherwise i will try to buy lugol's iodine from eBay, don't know if they can deliver it in Italy though, i have to check out.

So it is a similar situation like Keit, who has access to a glycerin lugol. Yours has alcohol. Actually, glycerin is better, but at least you got something now. Here is more info:

Nascent Iodine in Vegetable Glycerin vs. Nascent Iodine in Alcohol
_http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/nascent-iodine-in-vegetable-glycerin-vs-nascent-iodine-in-alcohol/

It is not the nascent info, but the OH Vs Glycerin.

I hear Italy is very strict, so is Spain. When you buy through ebay, you click the option of "reliable/premium seller". Usually they use transporting systems that might have less controls at customs. I got my progesterone cream, DMSO and lugol that way.

When I bought progesterone cream through iherb.com, it was returned at customs and they also charged me to get an evaluation by "Pharmaceutical Vigilance" at the Spanish border. With ebay, there was none of that drama and my packages arrived safely from the U.S. and UK.

You could try buying one thing (i.e. one little bottle of lugol) as a trial test.

I found few sellers on Ebay that ships to Macedonia

i want to order this one.

_http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lugol-solution-Iodine-Potassium-iodide-solution-5-100ml-/321612944479?hash=item4ae1a0145f:g:0WQAAOSwe-FU9Mxl#shpCntId

Lugol solution 5% 100ml
Synonym: Iodine/Potassium iodide solution
CAS Number 12298-68-9
EC Number 235-567-5
Formula KI3
Molecular Weight 419.81

Is this one ok ?

I was thinking to make myself which will be more cheaper, but for the beginning i want to try with ready Lugols solution

Here is link for the Iodine crystals:
_http://www.ebay.com/itm/IODINE-CRYSTALS-30g-99-9-Purity-High-Quality-Resublimed-Crystals-Lugols-l-/221949317368?hash=item33ad35d0f8:g:aRgAAOSwsFpWTOjn

and for the Potassium Iodide
_http://www.ebay.com/itm/100g-Potassium-iodide-pharmaceutical-grade-USP-BP-EP-/130667969724?hash=item1e6c6afcbc:g:YV0AAOSw5ZBWLkbm

Please check the links and see if they are suitable for making Lugols.

Gaby said:
Andre' said:
Since it didn't cost me much i bought in anyway, but just to be sure i would like to ask you Gaby can i use this one?

So it is a similar situation like Keit, who has access to a glycerin lugol. Yours has alcohol. Actually, glycerin is better, but at least you got something now. Here is more info:

Nascent Iodine in Vegetable Glycerin vs. Nascent Iodine in Alcohol
_http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/nascent-iodine-in-vegetable-glycerin-vs-nascent-iodine-in-alcohol/

It is not the nascent info, but the OH Vs Glycerin.

I hear Italy is very strict, so is Spain. When you buy through ebay, you click the option of "reliable/premium seller". Usually they use transporting systems that might have less controls at customs. I got my progesterone cream, DMSO and lugol that way.

When I bought progesterone cream through iherb.com, it was returned at customs and they also charged me to get an evaluation by "Pharmaceutical Vigilance" at the Spanish border. With ebay, there was none of that drama and my packages arrived safely from the U.S. and UK.

You could try buying one thing (i.e. one little bottle of lugol) as a trial test.

Thank you Gaby for the information and yes i will try to buy lugol from eBay, already found one small bottle so i will try to buy that one.
As concerning the border regulations, yes totally agree, when i bought DMSO i had same problems as you, but i hope that buying from eBay i will skip this annoying inconveniences.
One last question Gaby, do you think will be ok to use for the moment this iodine solution i bought today?

hesperides said:
I´m clueless here, maybe my iodine depletion might be part of the answer.

Yesterday I got the iodine at 15% from Bob´s Best. It says iodine content per drops is 7,62 mg in a bottle of 50 ml. It´s this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Health-Beauty/dp/B007V03NBK

Now when I compare it with the Lugol that seems to be the one which is mostly used by the forumers, the label says Lugol 5% contains 6,25 mg per drop in a 30 cl bottle. I don´t understand the correlation between both concentration, 5% and 15%, since both keep having roughly the same iodine content. Could someone help me with this?

Added: http://www.bobsbest.co.uk/15-lugols-iodine-50ml-px-BBS-35198/

I wondered the same. I got this one Lugol's 15%:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Best-Lugols-iodine-Full-Strength-15-Lugols-authentic-and-professionally-made-/181632224854?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

I asked the manufacturer and got this answer:

"Our Lugol's Solution contains, per drop:
4.6mg of iodine as iodide (potassium iodide) and
3mg of elemental iodine
Total per drop of iodine is 7.6mg or 0.0076g
There are 20 drops per ml, so the total per ml is 20x0.0076 = 0.152g
One ml of solution weighs 1g as it is over 99.9% water and so the percentage strength of iodine in solution is:

0.152 x 100 / 1 = 15.2%
These are the figures and calculations given to us by our manufacturer Healthleads of Wales who make this product to highest British Pharmacopoeia (B.P.) standards
I hope this helps to clarify the product strength and content for you. Let me know if you need any further information.
Regards, Simon (Director, Bronze Age Nutrition Ltd.)"

Andre' said:
One last question Gaby, do you think will be ok to use for the moment this iodine solution i bought today?

I don't see why not. I took recently a bottle or so of Bach flower remedies throughout one month. That was basically alcohol and the "energetic signature" of the essential flower, plus some water. No harm done. On the contrary, it seemed to work, so I got two more bottles :)

Herbal remedies often call for alcohol, that is why I found the info on glycerin interesting. If possible, I would get normal lugol though.

Gaby said:
Andre' said:

I don't see why not. I took recently a bottle or so of Bach flower remedies throughout one month. That was basically alcohol and the "energetic signature" of the essential flower, plus some water. No harm done. On the contrary, it seemed to work, so I got two more bottles :)

Herbal remedies often call for alcohol, that is why I found the info on glycerin interesting. If possible, I would get normal lugol though.

Thank you, for the moment i will use this one, but still, i will try to buy the lugo's iodine solution from eBay.

Chu said:
Small update: My swelling has subsided. I took a bath with clay and sodium bicarbonate yesterday, and it made a huge difference. Didn't have time to do a sauna, but will see if I get around to it today. I've been taken NAC, vit. C and the salt water several times a day, plus milk thistle for the liver. In any case, it's not any worse! Some bumps are the same, some got better. My eyelids are 50% less swollen.

Staying off the iodine for a few days, before resuming but in much smaller doses.

Thanks to those who asked! Just posting updates in case any of you have any strong detox symptoms too. I've received messages on FB from people who don't post much here, but who have had reactions like this or worse (like full blown abscesses) when on the antibiotic protocol. People seem to be loaded with toxins, and we don't even realize it until we start working on eliminating them. So, be careful everyone, and go slowly!

Perlou, kiwis or any other fruit won't give you enough vitamin C if that's what you want. You can get "acide ascorbique" in France, and one teaspoon = 4-5 grams. That's a good dose for detox.

Altair, very interesting! I've noticed cold showers being slightly "easier" (or rather, less difficult :-[) since taking iodine.

Thank you for the update, Chu! I found some more info about thyroid/cold adaptation.

Thyroid hyperactivity with high thyroglobulin in serum despite sufficient iodine intake in chronic cold adaptation in an Arctic Inuit hunter population

Abstract
OBJECTIVE:

Adult man hosts brown adipose tissue with the capacity to consume energy and dissipate heat. This is essential for non-shivering thermogenesis and its activation depends on sympathetic activity and thyroid hormones. This led us to evaluate the impact of chronic cold exposure on thyroid activity and thyroid hormones in serum in Arctic residents.

DESIGN:

Comparative, population-based study (n = 535) performed in Greenland.

METHODS:

Hunters were compared with other men, and Inuit in remote settlements in East Greenland with no modern housing facilities were compared with the residents of the capital city in West Greenland and residents of a major town in East Greenland in a cross-sectional study. We used interview-based questionnaires, measured TSH, free thyroxine, free triiodothyronine (fT(3)), thyroglobulin (TG) antibody and TG (a measure of thyroid activity) in serum, and iodine and creatinine in spot urine samples.

RESULTS:

Serum TG was the highest among hunters (P = 0.009) and settlement dwellers (P = 0.001), who were most markedly exposed to cold, even though they had the highest urinary iodine excretion (hunters, P < 0.001; settlement dwellers, P < 0.001). Hunters and settlement dwellers also had the lowest fT(3) (hunters, P < 0.001; settlement dwellers, P < 0.001) after adjusting for gender, age, smoking habits, alcohol intake and iodine excretion in multivariate linear regression models. TSH was not influenced by measures of cold exposure (hunter, P = 0.36; residence, P = 0.91).

CONCLUSIONS:

Cold exposure influenced thyroid hormones and TG in serum in Arctic populations consistent with consumption of thyroid hormone and higher thyroid hormone turnover. Findings emphasise that changes in thyroid activity are essential in cold adaptation in Arctic residents.

Source: _http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22170797
The full paper is attached.

From Comparative Mechanisms of Cold Adaptation
The involvement of minerals in non-shivering thermogenesis is variable as non-shivering thermogenesis can involve:

1. Thyroxine activation on of the Na+/K+ ATPase system
2. Loose coupling or uncoupling of oxidative phosphorylation
3. Specific dynamic effect of food protein and fats

The synthesis of thyroxine requires iodine and iodine deficiency could therefore limit cold adaptation.

Source: _https://books.google.de/books?id=E-KBER_ajzwC&pg=PA15&lpg=PA15&dq=iodine+helps+cold+adaptation&source=bl&ots=aNQc5EgU5V&sig=0BATSgzhH7tm0el0FYcGJ6GEiZ0&hl=de&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi2kqyx0qjJAhVGKQ8KHTNiBngQ6AEIRzAD#v=onepage&q=iodine%20helps%20cold%20adaptation&f=false

Attachments

• 433.full.pdf
    160.4 KB · Views: 5
Gaby said:
Z said:
Gaby do you have any information or source on interaction of Iodine and Lithium, my main concern is that Iodine may disable the effect of Lithium. This relative has been stable and doing very well for years on lithium, as soon as lithium stops all hell breaks loose so this is definitely something not to take lightly.

Physicians always use the "vademecums" of their own country for this information. I think that the ones online are very good and exhaustive, although I have found that sometimes other versions (i.e. Wikipedia or my Spanish vademecum) contain more warnings or side effects for certain drugs. Sometimes the opposite applies. We can thank Big Pharma for that.

This one looks very good:

_http://reference.medscape.com/drug/eskalith-lithobid-lithium-342934#3

You can sign up to medscape for free. It says that there is synergism with lithium and iodine, so actually, a lower dose might be necessary. The interaction with iodine is considered to be "minor" or non-significant.

Any hypothyroidism attributed to iodine should be put in context. Did TSH rise and T3 and T4 remained normal? Could "hypothyroidism symptoms" be attributed to detox reactions? Were hypothyroidism symptoms present before starting the iodine?

You can check at medscape if the cofactors are included as an interaction with lithium.
Thank you Gaby!

Gaby said:

I also found this one at reasonable price
_https://www.nutricentre.com/p-25463-lugols-iodine-solutions.aspx

I recall reading that the Iodine spot test on your skin was not a very good way to tell if you are Iodine deficient (if spot fades away within 18 hours means deficiency) because the Iodine evaporates. My habit of putting Iodine in my warm tea may just increase the evaporation rate of Iodine. Has anyone come across this aspect of Iodine evaporating?

Today I called the local lab to see if they provide Iodine loading test, the resident doctor said there is no need for that since we are on the island and we have enough Iodine in our food. I didn't want to waste energy trying to argue that point so I had to listen the whole lecture. Then I had the client who is a medical doctor and he said that they are now supplementing iodine to pregnant women as the deficiency is under-diagnosed, he promised to check if the local hospital offers these tests.

In any case I was wondering if someone may know of a lab in the EU that does these tests with samples sent from abroad.

Konstantin said:
I found few sellers on Ebay that ships to Macedonia

i want to order this one.

_http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lugol-solution-Iodine-Potassium-iodide-solution-5-100ml-/321612944479?hash=item4ae1a0145f:g:0WQAAOSwe-FU9Mxl#shpCntId

Lugol solution 5% 100ml
Synonym: Iodine/Potassium iodide solution
CAS Number 12298-68-9
EC Number 235-567-5
Formula KI3
Molecular Weight 419.81

Is this one ok ?

I was thinking to make myself which will be more cheaper, but for the beginning i want to try with ready Lugols solution

Here is link for the Iodine crystals:
_http://www.ebay.com/itm/IODINE-CRYSTALS-30g-99-9-Purity-High-Quality-Resublimed-Crystals-Lugols-l-/221949317368?hash=item33ad35d0f8:g:aRgAAOSwsFpWTOjn

and for the Potassium Iodide
_http://www.ebay.com/itm/100g-Potassium-iodide-pharmaceutical-grade-USP-BP-EP-/130667969724?hash=item1e6c6afcbc:g:YV0AAOSw5ZBWLkbm

Please check the links and see if they are suitable for making Lugols.

Konstantin, I would make sure your products ship with a CofA or Certificate of Analysis if you are getting them off of ebay. And the Lot numbers per each bottle should match the Lot numbers on the CofA. I say this because one could easily buy these compounds in bulk if they were to work at a chemical company and then resell on Ebay. But when you buy these types of minerals or salts for lab use they are only reagent grade and can have additives that you do not want to ingest.

So if you go the Ebay route or reagent grade (as opposed to pharmaceutical grade / USP grade) Iodine or Potassium Iodide MAKE SURE to get a CofA with matching lot numbers. Some of the additives that are mixed with reagent grade products are a big No No in regards to ingestion!

Also this is interesting here is a way to make elemental Iodine from potassium Iodide. Sorry if this has already been posted I apologize. But bulk batches will be beneficial and cost much less than buying lugol's.

__http://www.homechemlab.com/iodine.html
1. Weigh out 2.0 g of potassium iodide and transfer it to a test tube.

2. Add about 1.5 mL of distilled water to the test tube and swirl to dissolve the potassium iodide.

3. Add 1.5 mL of concentrated hydrochloric acid (or about 1.8 mL of hardware store muriatic acid) to the test tube and swirl to mix the solutions.

4. Add about 10 mL of drugstore 3% hydrogen peroxide. The solution immediately turns dark brown as the iodide ions are oxidized to elemental iodine, which precipitates out.

5. Swirl the test tube to suspend the iodine and pour the liquid through a funnel with a folded piece of filter paper to capture the iodine crystals.

6. Rinse the iodine crystals on the filter paper several times with a few mL of distilled water. The rinse solution appears brown from dissolved iodine, but iodine is not very soluble in water, so you're not losing much of your yield.

7. Spread out the filter paper on a watch glass or saucer and allow the crystals to dry thoroughly. Iodine gradually sublimates (passes directly from solid to gaseous form) at room temperature, so don't leave the crystals exposed to air any longer than necessary to dry them.

8. Once the crystals are dry, transfer them to a sealed storage bottle or vial.

These quantities produce a gram or so of iodine, which is sufficient for the experiments that require it. If you need more iodine, simply increase all quantities proportionately.

Z said:
In any case I was wondering if someone may know of a lab in the EU that does these tests with samples sent from abroad.

Lynne Farrow says in The Iodine Crises that Hakala Labs does the test for Europe.

Back
Top Bottom