Iodine and Potassium Iodide

mocachapeau said:
I noticed that one brand on Amazon - J. Crows, I think - states that it never expires. I have to wonder if a quality Lugol's does expire, and if those without an expiry date are questionable, have questionable ingredients, or maybe added preservatives of some kind.

I won't bother with that since in some countries they are obliged to put an expiration date on any product.

This morning I did my iodine drops and noticed the color dissapeared. I was confused until I took a sip and realize I dropped it in the salted water cup! So yeah, the salt is not to go with the iodine!

Perlou: A teeny bit of vinegar in the water helps cut down the caustic iodine and doesn't decrease it's effectiveness.

Hesperides: It's confusing as to how a solution that is 3x more dense would have only a little bit more.
Perhaps by 7mg per drop they mean iodine alone? The 6.25 of the 5% is around 2mg iodine and 4mg of KI.
If it is iodine alone, then it is close mathematically! But then the 7mg would be accompanied by around 14 mg of KI.
You should contact the vendor/manufacturer.

FYI, for those in the US looking to make their own lugol's, here are the best deals:
Amazon for the Iodine crystals, 50g for 17.88 + free ship: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013Q1Y514?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00
Ebay for the potassium iodide: 100g for 20: http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-GRAMS-POTASSIUM-IODIDE-KI-CRYSTAL-POWDER-PURE-ACS-AR-USP-GRA-/191183832865
250g for 32+4 ship: http://www.ebay.com/itm/250-GRAMS-POTASSIUM-IODIDE-KI-CRYSTAL-POWDER-PURE-ACS-AR-USP-GRADE-REAGENT-/201153920291

Thank you Divide By Zero, for information.

I have noticed that Laura's post, Reply # 85,
about 10% Lugol's Solution instructions.
And I really want to make it, but I cannot figured out that, if I use 50 grams pure elemental iodine to start with,

1. Then how much potassium iodide, do I need to have?
2. How much distilled water I need it?

Can anyone help me?

Kay Kim said:

And I really want to make it, but I cannot figured out that, if I use 50 grams pure elemental iodine to start with,

Can anyone help me?

If you need 10% Lugol Solution, and you have 50 grams pure iodine, you need 100g potassium iodide and 350g distilled water.
Iodine is very hard water soluble, but with the addition of potassium iodide, which is in the solution, solubilizer, solution of iodine may be prepared.

marek760 said:
Kay Kim said:

Can anyone help me?

If you need 10% Lugol Solution, and you have 50 grams pure iodine, you need 100g potassium iodide and 350g distilled water.
Iodine is very hard water soluble, but with the addition of potassium iodide, which is in the solution, solubilizer, solution of iodine may be prepared.

Just to add to what marek760 said you should be sure to add the potassium iodide first before the elemental iodine.

[list type=decimal]
[*]Measure 350 grams/ml of water
[*]Add 100 grams of KI stir until dissolved(this should be done first)
[*]Add 50 grams of elemental Iodine
[/list]

More info
__http://www.curezone.org/faq/q.asp?a=13,281,2962&q=579
There are two common forms of iodine. One is diatomic iodine, with two atoms comprising an I2 molecule. The other form is iodide anion, which has received an electron from another atom in the world. It could be a potassium atom. If you put potassium and iodine together, the potassium will give its electron to iodine and form a positively-charged potassium cation and a negatively-charged iodide anion, and you will have potassium iodide. When you do this, sparks fly, and I mean literally. Sodium chloride, which is table salt , is analogous.

Iodine exists in another form, which is called tri-iodide anion. This is made by combining one iodide anion with one diatomic iodine molecule. The resulting anion carries a single negative charge and has three iodine atoms attached to one another in substantially linear configuration. To balance the charge, a cation must be present, such as potassium.

When Lugol's is made, an aqueous soluiton of Potassium Iodide (LI)[sic] is prepared by dissolving KI in water, say ten grams KI in 85 grams water. Then, once dissolved, five grams of iodine crystals are added to the Potassium Iodide solution. The diatomic iodine adds to the iodide ions in the KI solution to form potassium tri-iodide, which is what Lugol's solution REALLY is.

Thank you trendsetter37!!!
So have to be very careful by wait until Potassium Iodide is completely dissolve then add Iodine Crystals. Otherwise, it will generates sparks to fly, it could be dangerous.

If anyone intereste to make 10% Lugol's Solution, need to have, for example....

1. 350 grams(1.47936 cups) distilled water.
2. 100 grams(3.527 ounces) potassium iodide.
3. 50 grams(1.764 ounces) iodine pure crystals.

And just follow Laura's instructions on the Reply # 85.

hesperides said:
I´m clueless here, maybe my iodine depletion might be part of the answer.

Yesterday I got the iodine at 15% from Bob´s Best. It says iodine content per drops is 7,62 mg in a bottle of 50 ml. It´s this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Health-Beauty/dp/B007V03NBK

Now when I compare it with the Lugol that seems to be the one which is mostly used by the forumers, the label says Lugol 5% contains 6,25 mg per drop in a 30 cl bottle. I don´t understand the correlation between both concentration, 5% and 15%, since both keep having roughly the same iodine content. Could someone help me with this?

Added: http://www.bobsbest.co.uk/15-lugols-iodine-50ml-px-BBS-35198/

I'm lost also with the mg and % of Lugol's. The bottles I have are labeled 10% potassium iodide and 5% iodine. So does the referred to % of the various Lugol's (from 2% to 15%) refer to the iodine content only or the combined potassium iodide as well as the iodine? The website I purchased from only describes it as "full strength".

Brownstein's book may help here. I have been trying to purchase the ebook, but haven't been successful as yet.

I would say it is not worth angsting over the percentages. If you have a lugol's solution of some type, just try a drop at first, see how you feel/react, and go from there. We've got bottles with 2%, 5%, 15%. Take more of the 2% and less of the 15%. The idea is to have about 12.5% per day for the iodine collecting organs, and about that much for the rest of the body, and then that amount again for detoxing the bromines/fluorines/metals. But approach that threshold slowly.

As noted, the Brownstein book is better than the "Iodine Crisis" book and explains what you need, why, what it does, etc. It also gives a lot of case histories showing how he treats various situations that can be used as yardsticks. As I noted, for a person dealing with a specific/chronic condition, about 50mg of combined potassium iodide as found in Lugols (add them together) is what he prescribes. For maintenance, obviously, it is somewhat less. I've already mentioned that those who can't get the book can send me a PM for "notes" and I'll send it to you.

Perhaps once some of you get some iodine in you you will begin to feel better and get some experience monitoring how you feel and that will help with finding the right dose for you. A little more once in awhile while you test out the product probably isn't going to hurt you, so stop obsessing over it.

When you see a Lugol's solution advertised to be a certain percentage, that percentage means how much elemental iodine is in it. There should be double the amount of potassium iodide in it.

For example, a 2% Lugol's solution should have 2% elemental iodine and 4% potassium iodide, and according to "The Iodine Crisis" a combined total of 2.5mg iodine per drop. A 5% Lugol's solution should have 5% elemental iodine and 10% potassium iodide, for a combined total for 6.25mg iodine per drop.

My initial target is 75mg of iodine a day. I have 2% Lugol's solution on hand, so I'm using 30 drops for my target!

If I wanted to make any percentage of Lugol's solution myself, say X%, I would use this formula below.
X grams of elemental iodine
2X grams of potassium iodide
(100-3X) mL of distilled water

This also means there probably is no Lugol's solution above 33.3%, so when I saw a 46% Lugol's solution, that's probably a scam.

trendsetter37 said:
Konstantin said:
I found few sellers on Ebay that ships to Macedonia

i want to order this one.

_http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lugol-solution-Iodine-Potassium-iodide-solution-5-100ml-/321612944479?hash=item4ae1a0145f:g:0WQAAOSwe-FU9Mxl#shpCntId

Lugol solution 5% 100ml
Synonym: Iodine/Potassium iodide solution
CAS Number 12298-68-9
EC Number 235-567-5
Formula KI3
Molecular Weight 419.81

Is this one ok ?

I was thinking to make myself which will be more cheaper, but for the beginning i want to try with ready Lugols solution

Here is link for the Iodine crystals:
_http://www.ebay.com/itm/IODINE-CRYSTALS-30g-99-9-Purity-High-Quality-Resublimed-Crystals-Lugols-l-/221949317368?hash=item33ad35d0f8:g:aRgAAOSwsFpWTOjn

and for the Potassium Iodide
_http://www.ebay.com/itm/100g-Potassium-iodide-pharmaceutical-grade-USP-BP-EP-/130667969724?hash=item1e6c6afcbc:g:YV0AAOSw5ZBWLkbm

Please check the links and see if they are suitable for making Lugols.

Konstantin, I would make sure your products ship with a CofA or Certificate of Analysis if you are getting them off of ebay. And the Lot numbers per each bottle should match the Lot numbers on the CofA. I say this because one could easily buy these compounds in bulk if they were to work at a chemical company and then resell on Ebay. But when you buy these types of minerals or salts for lab use they are only reagent grade and can have additives that you do not want to ingest.

So if you go the Ebay route or reagent grade (as opposed to pharmaceutical grade / USP grade) Iodine or Potassium Iodide MAKE SURE to get a CofA with matching lot numbers. Some of the additives that are mixed with reagent grade products are a big No No in regards to ingestion!

Also this is interesting here is a way to make elemental Iodine from potassium Iodide. Sorry if this has already been posted I apologize. But bulk batches will be beneficial and cost much less than buying lugol's.

__http://www.homechemlab.com/iodine.html
1. Weigh out 2.0 g of potassium iodide and transfer it to a test tube.

2. Add about 1.5 mL of distilled water to the test tube and swirl to dissolve the potassium iodide.

3. Add 1.5 mL of concentrated hydrochloric acid (or about 1.8 mL of hardware store muriatic acid) to the test tube and swirl to mix the solutions.

4. Add about 10 mL of drugstore 3% hydrogen peroxide. The solution immediately turns dark brown as the iodide ions are oxidized to elemental iodine, which precipitates out.

5. Swirl the test tube to suspend the iodine and pour the liquid through a funnel with a folded piece of filter paper to capture the iodine crystals.

6. Rinse the iodine crystals on the filter paper several times with a few mL of distilled water. The rinse solution appears brown from dissolved iodine, but iodine is not very soluble in water, so you're not losing much of your yield.

7. Spread out the filter paper on a watch glass or saucer and allow the crystals to dry thoroughly. Iodine gradually sublimates (passes directly from solid to gaseous form) at room temperature, so don't leave the crystals exposed to air any longer than necessary to dry them.

8. Once the crystals are dry, transfer them to a sealed storage bottle or vial.

These quantities produce a gram or so of iodine, which is sufficient for the experiments that require it. If you need more iodine, simply increase all quantities proportionately.

I guess i`ll order ready Lugols sollution.
After that when i test Lugols on myself , then i can think and fing good ingredients and make a bigger quantity at home.
Thank you trendsetter37.

CHU, je suis contente que ça aille un peu mieux, prenez bien soin de Vous.
Merci Chu pour l'acide Ascorbique, j'ai trouvé ça sur Amazone, je vais le commander aujourd'hui :
http://www.amazon.fr/Acide-L-Ascorbique-E300-poudre-50-81-7/dp/B00ST62TJM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1448440939&sr=8-4&keywords=acide+ascorbique

Divide BY zéro : Merci pour le vinaigre je prends quelques gouttes de vinaigre de cidre dans mon eau mais je n'avais pas osé le mélanger avec Lugol 15%

Laura, je vous ai envoyé un MP pour recevoir vos notes car le livre dont vous parler n'existe pas en Français...

Merci à tous pour tous vos commentaires si intéressants...

1er jour avec 5 gouttes Lugol 15% et eau salée 1 cuillerée Sel de Guérande (Bretagne) : Rien à Signaler, je ne sens aucune différence...
2ème jour, j'ai repris exactement les même doses ce matin...

CHU, I'm glad it go a little better, take good care of you.
Chu thank you for Ascorbic acid, I found it on Amazon, I will order today:
http://www.amazon.fr/Acide-L-Ascorbique-E300-poudre-50-81-7/dp/B00ST62TJM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8 qid = 1448440939 sr = 8-4 keywords = ascorbic acid

Divide BY zero: Thanks for vinegar I take a few drops of apple cider vinegar in my water, but I had not dared mix with 15% Lugol

Laura, I sent you a PM to receive your notes for the book that talk does not exist in French ...

Thank you to everyone for all your comments so interesting ...

Day 1 with 5 drops Lugol 15% and salt water 1 tablespoon salt from Guérande (Brittany): Nothing to Report, I feel no difference ...
2nd day, I took exactly the same doses that morning ...

PERLOU, if you refer to reply #180 in this thread, from Laura, you will note that she uses one teaspoon of salt, divided into two doses per day. In your response above you said that you are taking a TABLESPOON of salt, which is considerably more.

I wouldn't like to see you overdose on salt.

Would someone who is an expert in these matters like to comment.

quote from Divide By Zero
Hesperides: It's confusing as to how a solution that is 3x more dense would have only a little bit more.
Perhaps by 7mg per drop they mean iodine alone? The 6.25 of the 5% is around 2mg iodine and 4mg of KI.
If it is iodine alone, then it is close mathematically! But then the 7mg would be accompanied by around 14 mg of KI.
You should contact the vendor/manufacturer.

Thanks Divide By Zero, good to see I wasn´t too lost in my reasoning. I already had contacted the manufacturer and I´m waiting for an answer. Anyway, after reading what Laura just said about not worrying too much about %, I think I´ll just learn through experience to adjust iodine dose accordingly to whether symptoms show up or not.

The biggest chemical industry in the country here, is selling Lugols for a very good price , 5 Eur for 100 ml.
Problem is that they refuse to give me more informations about concentration and purity.They say its their company secret . At first i feel happy that i found a good source from where i can buy Lugols , but i cant use their solution.I dont have any informations about it.Only thing that they said is that its for a laboratory use.

Back
Top Bottom