Iodine and Potassium Iodide

I did some more research and I think that there should be a small correction to the above recipe. It seems that iodine should not be put into the mixture in 50C. Source: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B012227055X011433

One of the simplest tests for identifying the presence of starches is by the application of iodine solutions to the sample in question. Since iodine can readily penetrate raw starch granules, gelatinization is not a prerequisite for staining.

Binding is reduced as temperatures increase above 40C; this corresponds to the change in starch structure from helical to coil-shaped. If allowed to cool, the iodine-starch complex reforms.

So wait until mixture cools at least to 40C to add iodine.

I made a first batch last night and I just tried it. I used the above recipe, except that I used a conservative amount of Lugol's because I wasn't sure if I'm going to succeed in my first try. So I used 2 ml of Lugol's instead of 5 ml (one teaspoon). Everything was still colored in dark blue, so you can use this amount of iodine or perhaps even less if you are sensitive to iodine. Today I put one teaspoon of the final mixture in a small amount of water and water quickly turned completely dark. But the taste surprised me a little, because there was almost no taste at all. So even though this looks like scary potion, the taste is actually much better than Lugol's where you can clearly taste iodine.

I had a small problem with opening the jar though, but I have a jar opener so I managed to open it. Perhaps you should wait for the mixture to completely cool before closing it.

Some people on YT complained about sugar (translation):

Why add harmful sugar to starch? Blue iodine can be cooked and without sugar at the rate of 150g of boiling water, pour 50g of water in which stirred 1 tbsp. starch. It turns out 200g jelly. In warm jelly (not hot! Otherwise iodine will lose its properties) add 1 tsp. iodine. I saved my dog with this kisem when she was dying after eating poison. I hunted rats, made bait on fat with potassium cyanide. I forgot to close the garage lock and the door of the wind opened. My dog ate. So I poured this blue iodine in a tablespoon into her mouth. And she came to life! Such a fat was then! Blue iodine is a very strong medicine! This recipe from the book by Natalia Semenova "Blue Iodine".

I don't know if the sugar is necessary, but I used brown cane sugar which is supposedly healthier that usual white sugar. I also used corn starch because potato starch is hard to find here, and my mixture actually didn't turn into jelly at all. So if you don't want jelly you can use corn starch. Of course, if you want to avoid grains, stick to potato.

Here is a video of how to make it:

There are a lot of videos on Russian about it. Here is one webinar that looks interesting. Unfortunately my Russian is not so good, so perhaps somebody else can extract the most relevant information:

Wow!! thank you very much Persej for this valuable info! :thup:
I just tried it with a very simple idea: I drop the Lugols drops on a piece of (gluten free) bread;-) and the drop turns very dark blue.

Iodine supplementation didn't work on me , even didn't had detox symptoms with high doses 150mg. So I gave it up after 1 year. With knowledge you've shared, I reconsider this supplementation and will take amylo-iodine every day. As it seems very effective, I'll experiment with 1 drop of my 12% Lugol (25 mg) on a piece of bread every morning at breakfast.

I just tried it with a very simple idea: I drop the Lugols drops on a piece of (gluten free) bread;-) and the drop turns very dark blue.

Yeah, I guess you can do that too. It is certainly easy to try.

What is interesting about potato starch is that it is high in resistant starch. That is probably why it is good in treating intestinal infections because it can carry the iodine there more easily. But that is just my guess.

You can also buy a version of corn starch with lots of resistant starch (high-amylose corn starch). And amylose is the thing with which iodine easily connects. So more amylose - better the mixture. That is probably why the potato starch is preferred version over ordinary corn starch.

Iodine supplementation didn't work on me , even didn't had detox symptoms with high doses 150mg. So I gave it up after 1 year. With knowledge you've shared, I reconsider this supplementation and will take amylo-iodine every day. As it seems very effective, I'll experiment with 1 drop of my 12% Lugol (25 mg) on a piece of bread every morning at breakfast.

I'm eager to her more from you about your experiences. :-)
One interesting study says that resistant starch increases mineral absorption. Perhaps the same could be true for iodine.

I will buy potato starch the next time and see if I feel the difference after I finish this batch.

I have noticed one thing in last 3-4 weeks. Maybe it is no related with iodine. At the evening after the gym time around 7 pm i have a feeling that my neck and ears are burning. I measured my body temperature and it is little high. It varies from 36.8 to 37. I feel like a huge fire is burning inside my body. It is not a bad feeling. I feel very good if i get out when its cold in the evening.

In the morning it is little low, about 36.2 to 36.4. So during the day it normalizes.
So i wonder if this is related to my tyroid.
I am still takig 4 drops of 12% lugols 3 times per week.
I am constantly taking this dose almost 2 years. I dont have any other side effects.

So i want to ask if i should stop for a some time with iodine suplementation , or just decrease the dossage, or stop for some time and then continue with much lower dose like a 1 drop of 12% lugols one or two times per week.
I forgot to mention that i am taking Selenium with every dose of iodine

I managed to extract and translate a couple of most interesting slides from the previously mention webinar.

In the essence, they say that this blue iodine is the superior form because it is biologically active, and our thyroid doesn't have to use much energy to produce hormones, as it must do with other types of iodine.

Also, other forms of iodine can produce some damage to the thyroid because our thyroid is not built to work with those kinds of iodine.

They also claim that it is better in destroying bacteria, although they showed no tests for that.

FWIW:

The biological activity of thyroid hormones is determined by the combination of the structural features of their molecules.

All thyronin structures with hormonal activity enclose iodine in positions 3 and 5, and, conversely, all iodothyronine structures in which there is only one iodine atom in the inner benzene ring are devoid of hormonal effect.
In the molecules of all active iodothyronines, iodine is contained in two degrees of oxidation. The biological activity of hormones is associated with the presence of iodine atoms in the 1+ oxidation state in the inner benzene ring.
Studies have made it possible to detect and identify the only form of iodine that has biological activity.

It turned out that this is iodine in the oxidation state of ~ 1 +, that is, in a positively monovalent form. This form of iodine causes a variety of biological activity and color of all those chemical compounds in which it is present. All other forms of iodine are deprived of these properties.
A compound of iodine and starch.

Starch is a natural polymer. Moreover, starch is a mixture of two polymers, these are (SbH10O5) p - amylose (10-20%) and amylopectin (80-90%), residues αaO glucose.

The effect of iodamylose is much higher than that of solutions of polyiodide and potassium iodide with the same composition of molecular iodine. Paradoxical fact.

Studies of polymers with sugar do not have any antimicrobial properties; they are a breeding ground for microbes. But the combination of this “nutrient medium” with an aqueous solution of iodine increases its antimicrobial effect to the maximum.
When iodine interacts with starch, a compound of inclusion (clathrate) of the channel type is obtained. Clathrate is a complex compound, part of one ("guest molecule") is included in the crystal structure of the "host molecule". The role of the host molecule in this case is played by the amylose molecule, and the “guest” is the iodine molecule. Molecules of iodine are located in the channel of the helix in the form of chains.
We really wanted to stop in more detail, in this section of the presentation on the biosynthesis of thyroid hormones.

Offered by our company the preparation "Mixture of blue iodine" is a biologically active iodine in oxidation state +1. This distinguishes it from preparations based on iodine salts. The drug is a form of biologically active (organic) iodine.

Biological activity is responsible, finding it in a positively monovalent form and chromaticity. Colorless compounds do not possess biological activity.

The processing of iodine salts leads to various pathologies associated with a large capture of iodine by the thyroid gland.
It has been established that the daily intake of iodine is 150-200 mcg, in European countries up to 300 mcg, and in the USA - up to 500 mcg. Iodides with blood flow to the thyroid gland, the tissue of which has the unique ability to capture and concentrate iodide at a rate of about 2 μg / h. If the intake of iodine in the organism decreases below 100 µg / day, hyperplasia develops first, and then nontoxic goiter of the thyroid gland.

Electron microscopic studies have shown that already 30–40 s after administration, its accumulation along the periphery of the follicle lumen in the immediate vicinity of the apical part of the cell is noted. In the gastrointestinal tract, iodides are secreted by the salivary glands and gastric mucosa, where the content of iodides is 20-30 times higher than in plasma. However, in these organs, as in the mammary gland, there are no enzymes necessary for the organification of iodine.

It can be noted that the "Mixture of blue iodine" mostly gets into the liver. Where, with the help of deiodinase, monovalent iodine is cleaved from the carbohydrate and is captured and transported to the thyroid gland. And transport occurs with the help of thyrocytes.
"Mixture blue iodine" qualitative synthesis

The cell membranes of thyrocytes, which capture iodides (1-), cannot distinguish monovalent anions from one another and are therefore capable of capturing along with iodide other anions that carry a negative charge: SCN-, CLO-4, TcO-4. If the body excessively enters these anions, their accumulation occurs in the thyroid gland and absorption of iodine is suppressed through competition. In such cases, insufficient capture of iodides by the thyroid gland leads to a decrease in their amount in this organ and, as a result, to an insufficient synthesis of thyroid hormone.

The capture of biologically active iodine by thyrocytes is of higher quality, which does not lead to inhibition of absorption.

Iodide transport through the thyrocyte membrane is an active, energy-demanding process in which iodide comes from a medium with a lower concentration (blood plasma) to a medium with a high concentration (thyroid tissue). The concentration of free iodine in the thyroid gland is 30-40 times higher than in the blood plasma.

A high concentration of biologically active iodine in MBI requires less energy to transport iodine through the thyrocyte membrane. Since it is recognizable for the thyroid gland, and represents the iodine of its own production.
Iodine organification

It is possible that iodide transfer through the thyrocyte membrane is carried out by a specific, not yet identified protein. This assumption is supported by the fact that the process of capturing and transporting iodide is under genetic control, as well as the fact that the increase in iodine absorption by the thyroid gland under the influence of TSH occurs only after a few hours, and not immediately after exposure to the hormone.

The organification (oxidation) of iodine or tyrosine iodization in thyroglobulin. The next stage after the capture of iodine by the thyroid gland is the synthesis of thyroid hormones, which begins with the rapid fixation of iodine into the tyrosine molecule. However, before going into the thyroid gland, where iodide will be used to synthesize thyroid hormones, it must be oxidized to the active form with the help of the enzyme thyroperoxidase and hydrogen peroxide (H202).

When using preparations of biologically active iodine (MBI), this mechanism of organification is not needed. Iodine is in the oxidation state of 1+, i.e. organificated, and fully capable of iodizing a tyrosine molecule to form monoiodotyrosine (MIT) or diiodotyrosine (DIT). The thyroid peroxidase system of the thyroid gland uses every atom of iodine entering it and prevents the possible return of iodine to the bloodstream. Biologically active iodine in the liver is cleaved by deiodinase from tyrosine and enters the thyroid gland.

Not sure if this is the same thing but one time I decided to put 2 drops of lugol's on quinoa and it turned blueish too.
I wonder if in that case it was bonding to carbs or starch in the quinoa?

This information on blue iodine is very interesting Persej, thanks for sharing! I'm going to try and mix up a batch soon and run some experiments with it.

Not sure if this is the same thing but one time I decided to put 2 drops of lugol's on quinoa and it turned blueish too.
I wonder if in that case it was bonding to carbs or starch in the quinoa?

Quinoa, like all other grains (wheat, buckwheat, corn, rye, rice, etc) is starch ie made of amylose and amylopectine, so as vegetables and all plants. That's why Lugol turns dark blue in your quinoa.

My question is: as we took Lugol drops in a glass of water at the end of our breakfast, this Lugol iodine assemblies with starch polymers present in our breakfast (gluten-free bread or crackers). Then, why didn't some of us had the effects of iodine? Why Bronstein and other holistic doctors recommend doses (mineral form of iodine) of 50-150 mg/day? And in this documents shared by Persej, they say amylo-iodine, being an organic form, is effective at very low dose. I miss something.

Hi everyone!

Now I am taking 8 drops of 10% Lugol, 100 µg Selenium, 6 x 500mg Vitamin C and 3mg melatonin. I feel good, no detox symptoms. :-)

I'm going to try and mix up a batch soon and run some experiments with it.

I would advise you to try with my version with just 2 ml of Lugol's. That equals to 1 ml of Lugol's per teaspoon of blue iodine. The reason for that is that last night I got a detox symptoms - small headache, pain in the throat and itchy soles. All the symptoms that I had with Lugol's, but which I stopped having a long time ago!

So this thing does seem to have higher detox ability than Lugol's. Fortunately, I had a good "western education", so I took a second glass of salted water and everything calmed down. Unfortunately, Russians don't know about that trick.

My question is: as we took Lugol drops in a glass of water at the end of our breakfast, this Lugol iodine assemblies with starch polymers present in our breakfast (gluten-free bread or crackers). Then, why didn't some of us had the effects of iodine?

Well, this recipe does suggest dissolving of starch in water. And starch cannot dissolve in cold water. It must be hot. You need about 70C for potato starch, and about 100C for corn starch. You have those numbers in this article that I posted above. And when starch dissolves in water it changes it structure. So perhaps this change in structure is needed for it to bind properly with iodine in Lugol's. That would explain why you don't feel anything when you just drink it with your breakfast. Because it doesn't bind in the same way.

Why Bronstein and other holistic doctors recommend doses (mineral form of iodine) of 50-150 mg/day? And in this documents shared by Persej, they say amylo-iodine, being an organic form, is effective at very low dose. I miss something.

Well, the original blue iodine recipe does contain very high doses of iodine. Although, I think that they are too high for general detox. Unless you want to "nuke" some bug.

And this company probably wouldn't be able to sell anything that contains that much of iodine, because RDA for iodine is very low in the entire world. So you can only make the original recipe at home.

Well, this recipe does suggest dissolving of starch in water. And starch cannot dissolve in cold water. It must be hot. You need about 70C for potato starch, and about 100C for corn starch. You have those numbers in this article that I posted above. And when starch dissolves in water it changes it structure. So perhaps this change in structure is needed for it to bind properly with iodine in Lugol's. That would explain why you don't feel anything when you just drink it with your breakfast. Because it doesn't bind in the same way.
If I drink it with my breakfast, the iodine present in my Lugol water will bind to starch , the same way as when I drop Lugol on bread (not hot) it binds to starch, at ambient temperature. As the color turns dark blue, it means it binds to starch isn't it? So, what is the difference with the prepared amylo-iodine as presented in the recipe you provided?
They had to heat the preparation in order to bind iodine to starch, i.e. have a dark-blue solution, okay but Lugol on not hot bread gives the same thing.

If I drink it with my breakfast, the iodine present in my Lugol water will bind to starch , the same way as when I drop Lugol on bread (not hot) it binds to starch, at ambient temperature. As the color turns dark blue, it means it binds to starch isn't it? So, what is the difference with the prepared amylo-iodine as presented in the recipe you provided?
They had to heat the preparation in order to bind iodine to starch, i.e. have a dark-blue solution, okay but Lugol on not hot bread gives the same thing.

Yes, Lugol will bind to starch even if the starch isn't heated. But the starch heated in water is not the same kind of starch as ordinary powder starch. It is changed in the process.

The range of temperatures 60 to 82 C (140 to 180 F), used in preheating is at or just above the temperature, 60 C (140 F), at which potato starch granules gelatinize. At these temperatures the starch granules absorb water and swell. In this condition the molecules have some degree of freedom to move; therefore it is possible that they can orient and associate. It is known that starch molecules in solution become associated by hydrogen bonding.

Change in the physical condition of starch of the potato during precooking heating

This study aimed to understand mechanisms of starch gelatinization during heating of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) flour, and its effects on in vitro starch amylolysis of cooked wheat flour. At water content of 20%, cooking did not disrupt greatly the crystalline structures of starch in wheat flour. Considerable disruption of ordered structures of starch occurred with cooking at a water content of 30%, and starch was fully gelatinized at a water content of 40%.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0268005X17320982

So cooking with lots of water changes the starch structure. And for some reason, we need that modified starch for this amylo-iodine bonding.

Yes, Lugol will bind to starch even if the starch isn't heated. But the starch heated in water is not the same kind of starch as ordinary powder starch. It is changed in the process.

So cooking with lots of water changes the starch structure. And for some reason, we need that modified starch for this amylo-iodine bonding.

In bread, or in cooked quinoa, the starch is not raw, it's cooked, its structure is yet modified.

In bread, or in cooked quinoa, the starch is not raw, it's cooked, its structure is yet modified.

Well, I'm not saying that you cannot achieve some bonding that way, but it might not be the optimal. Especially since the quinoa doesn't have a lot of amylose, compared to other grains. But if you don't want to use potato or corn starch, another option would be a green banana flour. That also has a lot of amylose.

Back
Top Bottom