Iodine and Potassium Iodide

Wu Wei Wu said:
Just so the rest of you know who are reading this, Iodine seems to have taken me out of a recurring infection and chronic fatigue slump, so although my research is ongoing I couldn't be happier with it so far.

This has been my experience too, in a nutshell.

Wonder, if the two are connected - probably. But on a background of toxicity, to "prepare the terrain" so to speak?

Perceval said:
So that's my iodine horror story.

Sorry to hear about your ordeal and thanks for sharing. I am sure you will be alright soon. I guess it takes some time for overstimulated iodine - TSH feedback loop to go back to normal.
I am just speculating but I would imagine that people like you who show constitutional signs of fast metabolism are more sensitive to Iodine.

My experience has been sort of similar although on much smaller scale. I am thankful that you posted that video presentation because this reinforced my belief that healthy men should start with small doses. In fact if it wasn't for it I would have probably started with 12-13 mg Brownstein suggests but after seeing that presentation I desided to go with 3 mg. For first two days didn't feel any effects whatsoever on this dose but third day in the evening I got unexpected attack of terrible gloom and doom and irritability to the point of wanting to slap people. Luckily long walk by the sea and some breathing resolved this. So I decided to back off since I had to travel next day and I am intending to go very slowly paying close attention to my reactions.

I think it bears repeating over and over (because many people seem to not be reading every post in this thread) that people who don't have health issues especially men should not be taking large doses. Especially not excess of 50 mg which I see some people here bravely ( or carelessly) attempting from the first day.

Stay safe and take care folks .

Hello there. How are you all?

I stopped taking iodine on Friday night, after reading about the warnings of taking iodine (we have to start "little", and be cautious).
I started reading the Browny's book (but i am tired, so, i can't continue for now).
What i keep in mind is that we have to see the needs, the personal needs.

So, i started taking iodine on November 23th. I started with 50mg (like a lot of people, i jumped too quickly taking this... what my mind mostly retained, associated with a feeling of hope for my pathologies, was, "good, good, good, take it, take it, safe, safe, miraculous, no danger, will heal you" ; crazy how we can not see everything).
I increased to 200 mg ( the maximum i took) for a day or two, near November 30th. Then i decreased back to 50mg...

My symptoms were that i had a lot of mucus, like if i had the cold (no fever). I felt really sleepy, etc. As i consulted the thread, i told to me, "hey dude, be wise, you have to listen to your body, you have not to torture you". So, i decreased to 25 mg, few days. And then, on the night of Friday 15th, i had a really really big fever, i was shaking and all, laughing, crying, feeling angry... So, i decided to stop taking iodine from this moment (the days before, i smoked really much, i had headaches while smoking, but continued smoking ; it hurt my throat too ; so, i quit smoking since that night too). I started having fever, up to 40°C. It lasted until the 19th. I had a vasovagal response a night, i threw out and all. Crazy fever (sometimes it was to 37 then increased back to 40).

On the 17th, at night, i went to the emergency, because my fever went back to 40°C, and that i was fed up with this. Also, i wanted to know what i had.

So, the symptoms i had since Friday 15th:

headache ; fever ; lymph nodes on my neck, big, hurting ; big fatigue ; pains in the body ; that's almost all.

My symptoms to this day:

headache ; lymph nodes on my neck, big, hurting (less bigger) ; my eyes hurt, they want to close themselves, a little dry, fatigue.

So strange, i have the feeling that, if i cried, my pain would go away, like a burden in my body, the burden of the tears.
So, i took back iodine on the 18th, 2 drops of 5% lugols. The next day, 3 drops and yesterday, 3 drops too.

I will go to the doctor today, because when i went to the emergency, the doctor told me it could be toxoplasmosis, but didn't make a blood test... he told me it could be a sinusitis, because the lymph nodes where on my neck, and that it generally indicate a local infection, so, of the sinus. He pre-scripted me an anti-infammatory, an antibiotic, paracetamol. I took paracetamol, a little. And Naproxen too, two days (the 18th and 19th). I take nothing now.

As i am really really tired (especially at the level of my head), i can't search properly to know more, i am slow.
Damned, i have the blues, may the tears fall, may the tears fall. :D

I wanted to share my experience, telling people to listen to their feelings. I quit smoking. I smoked too much and it hurt me.

Well, peace to you all.

PS: hope my post is not inappropriate, i wanted to share my experience. I go read the last experiences of others in order to see if they are ones more or less similar.

Perceval said:
Pashalis said:
It is very interesting. Brownstein talks about only 5% of the people he treated had detox symptoms and apparently he dosed many of them quite high from the beginning (12 - 50 mg or higher).

I also started it with a pretty low dose and low and behold, had rather strong detox symptoms right away at the first day. They are getting better now at the third day, I'm still at a fairly low dose but there is definitely somekind of detox still going on. I'll compile a more detailed list/summary about my experience so far, the next couple of days.

It indeed seems like the people here are WAY over that 5% mark in Brownsteins book. Why? What is different with us?

Well my experience of taking iodine went a little bit beyond the detox symptoms described by most here.

I started out with 4 drops once a day for a few days, then went up to 5 or 6. Then went up to 16 (8 twice a day) for several days, then back down to five once a day. A few days after I had probably one of the most horrible experiences of my life. It began at night after going to bed. Feeling of anxiety in my stomach and chest, rapid and heavy heart beat, racing thought, sweats, shivers and digestive problems (went to bathroom 4 times in the night) that lasted until morning. I felt like I was going crazy, going to die, or both. I slept a few hours here and there. Around 11am I felt able to get up, but for the next few days felt very weak, with brain fog and still a generalized background anxiety. This was accompanied by a depression about pretty much everything. Slowly, over the almost 2 weeks since that night, I have begun to feel a bit more 'normal' although even now I still feel 'out of sorts': lacking ability to concentrate and focus for long periods, a general woozyness in the head, stomach acts up a little now and then.

When trying to describe how I felt, I realised that apart from the horrible anxiety and its physiological effects, the really hard part was not being able to dissociate. I only realised this when I caught myself staring off into space for a few seconds, and also realised how calming that is for the mind (which is probably why we do it), and that I hadn't been able to do it for over 1 week.

I got some blood work done about 1 week after the episode, but there was nothing out of the ordinary except slightly high cortisol and high cholesterol. I had a thyroid scan, again nothing abnormal.

I emailed that Dr. Haskell guy, and he suggested it was "all likely due to hyperthyroid from over stimulating tsh production". He also said "I remember this happening when a person was on 75mg of iodoplus but it took a month for him to come down so you are lucky with having recovered so quickly." [I haven't really recovered fully yet].

I thought this was interesting because it suggests that iodine doesn't only act directly on the thyroid but on the pineal gland, stimulating it to ramp up production of TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) that in turn causes the thyroid to produce T3/T4 hormone. I was wondering if it also acts on the hypothalamus:

The two most important thyroid hormones are thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3) that stimulate the metabolism of almost every tissue in the body. The thyronines (Thyroid hormones)act on nearly every cell in the body. They act to increase the basal metabolic rate, affect protein synthesis, help regulate long bone growth (synergy with growth hormone) and neural maturation, and increase the body's sensitivity to catecholamines (such as adrenaline) by permissiveness.

Thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), which is produced by the pituitary gland, acts to stimulate production ot T4/T3 by the thyroid gland. The pituitary gland in turn is stimulated to make TSH by the hypothalamus gland by the release of "TSH Releasing Hormone" (TRH) which tells the pituitary gland to stimulate the thyroid gland (release TSH)

Sitting beneath the cerebral hemispheres are the thalamus and hypothalamus. The thalamus is a relay center between the periphery and the cortex. It receives sensory information from virtually every region of the body, filters all of the information, and then relays the filtered portion to the cerebral cortex. The hypothalamus functions much like the thalamus, but mediates its actions by controlling the release of hormones by the pituitary gland. Its major functions include regulation of body temperature, adjusting heart and respiratory rates, and stimulation and inhibition of eating and drinking.

Anyway, I told Haskell I couldn't understand why so many other people I knew (members here) had taken similar amounts without the same effects. He said:

"Yes, this is perplexing why some people can tolerate high doses of iodine and others cannot. Have no idea."

As he mentions in the video I posted here a few days ago, Haskell recommends no more than 3mg per day of iodine. I suppose he does that since there is no "one size fits all" and if you're going to recommend something like iodine to the general public, you should probably err on the low side. It's kind of crazy to think he recommends 3mgs and I was taking 160mgs.

For now, I'm just hoping I can regain some of my former relative peace of mind and focus I had before. I plan on restarting iodine soon, but 1 drop (maybe of 2% Lugols) will suffice, at least to begin (again) with.

So that's my iodine horror story.

By the holy light, i find a similarity with my experience! :D

SunEterna said:
I will go to the doctor today, because when i went to the emergency, the doctor told me it could be toxoplasmosis, but didn't make a blood test... he told me it could be a sinusitis, because the lymph nodes where on my neck, and that it generally indicate a local infection, so, of the sinus. He pre-scripted me an anti-infammatory, an antibiotic, paracetamol. I took paracetamol, a little. And Naproxen too, two days (the 18th and 19th). I take nothing now.

That was quite a reaction. When there are large painful lymph nodes in the neck, plus fever and other symptoms, usually toxoplasmosis is suspected, but also flu, rubella, mumps, HIV, hepatitis A, mononucleosis (Epstein Barr virus), citomegalovirus... It is really crowded out there in terms of infections that produce these symptoms. It would be good to know if you test positive for any infection.

Gaby said:
SunEterna said:

That was quite a reaction. When there are large painful lymph nodes in the neck, plus fever and other symptoms, usually toxoplasmosis is suspected, but also flu, rubella, mumps, HIV, hepatitis A, mononucleosis (Epstein Barr virus), citomegalovirus... It is really crowded out there in terms of infections that produce these symptoms. It would be good to know if you test positive for any infection.

Thank you for your answer. Yes. I hope this is not a lymphoma! :)

T.C. said:
On the idea that it's the diet that makes us more prone to having reactions, I think it's worth factoring in that our bodies natural detox systems probably work a lot better than most others.

So, maybe the detoxing properties of iodine are a lot more pronounced with us and more halides and heavy metals get released into our systems? Or maybe there's less of them in our systems to begin with, and so the iodine saturates our glands faster and the metabolic effects are heightened - like, fast tracked, so to speak.

That could be the case, but I'm not sure. I think that a lot of people here and myself could be much worse with the "normal" toxic lifestyle because our detox systems might not be that effective.

I have the experience of seeing people who significantly improve their health by just removing bread and retaining beer and other SUPER toxic stuff. Practically speaking, I would be barely alive with that lifestyle. It gives me the impression that some folk I know will have superpowers if they did what I have to do just to function normally.

It is to say that I currently live in an area where longevity seems to be the norm. They could easily have 86-88 years old and look at least 10 years younger, or be 96 years old and have a good quality of life. Most of the elderly here lived through the Spanish Civil War. My grandfather who died when he had 60 years old was probably exposed to chemical weapons during the Korean war, so equality of conditions not necessarily applies.

Who knows, but it gives me the impression that some folk really do have highly effective detox systems and they are not necessarily here.

ATM I am taking three drops of Lugol's 5%. One drop helped me feel better when I was feeling under the weather. Although I had been taking extra Vitamin C and NAC and broth I still didn't feel too good (but I could still do my usual work). When I started taking one drop of Lugol's I felt stronger very quickly. That said, I was very tired and had to take a nap in the afternoon. I had certain cravings (I drank a few cups of coffee and ate a lot of peanut butter), but these cravings have disappeared. These migrating pains disappeared and came back again, but now I am more or less pain-free. I also feel less tired than in the beginning. I can't really tell what else has changed. I have to wait and see a little while longer I think.

As soon as I lay down my head in the evening very strong and dark thoughts go through my head (this doesn't happen when I am reading a book), but I can suppress them after a while. I have experienced thoughts as if I were dying many times, so I guess I am used to it. The same goes for dark thoughts not related to depression.

I am gaining weight fairly quickly, so as of tomorrow I will take some time off and see what happens next, while continuing to drink saltwater and vitamine C. I detox too quickly, I already detox when I brush my teeth with sodium bicarbonate or when I take too much ALA or do EE.

Perceval, thank you for sharing your ordeal. I hope you are feeling better bit by bit. I didn't know iodine was making you this sick, otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it to you! :hug2:

Wu Wei Wu said:
Frankly, the results were amazing in my case in regards to general well being and I'm never going back. I started with a very high dose, upwards of 100 mg. I'm continuing to read various threads and books on the matter and task new applications.

I hope you are aware of the (repeatedly mentioned) potential dangers of such a dose.
Are you taking the vit C at the same time as the Lugols? That would be neutralizing the iodine.

Perceval said:
I started out with 4 drops once a day for a few days, then went up to 5 or 6. Then went up to 16 (8 twice a day) for several days, then back down to five once a day.

Drops of what? :D

SunEterna said:
Perceval said:
I started out with 4 drops once a day for a few days, then went up to 5 or 6. Then went up to 16 (8 twice a day) for several days, then back down to five once a day.
Oops, it's okay. I remember the total amount in mg. Don't need the Lugols's %. :D

Edit=Quote

RedFox said:
Wu Wei Wu said:
Frankly, the results were amazing in my case in regards to general well being and I'm never going back. I started with a very high dose, upwards of 100 mg. I'm continuing to read various threads and books on the matter and task new applications.

I hope you are aware of the (repeatedly mentioned) potential dangers of such a dose.
Are you taking the vit C at the same time as the Lugols? That would be neutralizing the iodine.

Wu Wei Wu, I think you got very lucky with "getting away" with such a high starting dose! However, considering all the case stories that has been shared here it wasn't such a smart thing to do, IMO. Please be careful with your dosing.

SunEterna said:
By the holy light, i find a similarity with my experience! :D

Indeed! Unless you've had similar illnesses in the past, I think you can safely associate these symptoms with the large doses of iodine. In your case it may be a detox reaction, although lots of TSH could also be involved. I'd say you should stop the iodine for a while and focus on helping your body to detox and 'calm down'. Once you feel that you are back more or less to normal, you can sort of begin again, but with a much smaller dose, and watch closely for any symptoms, and I mean ANY symptoms. I wouldn't increase the dose unless you feel nothing at all, and even then only by one drop.

Others have also mentioned feeling emotional as a result of the iodine. I don't think I mentioned it but the morning after my episode I cried pretty hard for a while, for the state of the world, the suffering and all things I had done to hurt others in my life. I still have some symptoms of my nerves feeling 'frayed' and periodic little emotional 'pangs'.

I'm trying to stay philosophical about it all, but it's pretty tiring to be almost continually stressed in this way. It's funny, but for most of my life I don't think I ever really knew what being "stressed" was. For sure I was stressed as often as anyone, but I don't think I ever really felt it or 'knew' it in a conscious way. Only others could see it in my behavior. I suppose that was a result of me being such a 'fast' person, fast thinking, always observing, noting and cataloging every little detail in my environment. For a lot of other people that would probably be 'stressful', but to me it was always just 'normal'.

Now I'm really getting an idea of what it is to be stressed in a very real way, and for no obvious reason, and it isn't fun! EE has been helping, so maybe that's something to remember for those who have strong reactions to the iodine.

SunEterna said:
SunEterna said:
Perceval said:
Oops, it's okay. I remember the total amount in mg. Don't need the Lugols's %. :D

1 drop of lugols 12% is about 10 mg of iodine/iodide. So yeah, I was taking 160mgs for a while, which is kind of crazy, but then others were too, and they had no significant adverse reactions.

Gaby said:
That could be the case, but I'm not sure. I think that a lot of people here and myself could be much worse with the "normal" toxic lifestyle because our detox systems might not be that effective.

I have the experience of seeing people who significantly improve their health by just removing bread and retaining beer and other SUPER toxic stuff. Practically speaking, I would be barely alive with that lifestyle. It gives me the impression that some folk I know will have superpowers if they did what I have to do just to function normally.

It is to say that I currently live in an area where longevity seems to be the norm. They could easily have 86-88 years old and look at least 10 years younger, or be 96 years old and have a good quality of life. Most of the elderly here lived through the Spanish Civil War. My grandfather who died when he had 60 years old was probably exposed to chemical weapons during the Korean war, so equality of conditions not necessarily applies.

Who knows, but it gives me the impression that some folk really do have highly effective detox systems and they are not necessarily here.

I relate to this so much. It's some kind of "normie syndrome". I notice this quite often, especially people my age, with all the god awful food, heavy drinking 4 nights a week, and generally a huge level of toxic exposure, and a lot of them just seem to function fine, get on with things, always have enough energy, have pretty stable personalities etc. Who knows? But after a long health-seeking journey I am starting to catch up with them, so it's good to see that our pursuits are working at least.

Perceval said:
Indeed! Unless you've had similar illnesses in the past, I think you can safely associate these symptoms with the large doses of iodine. In your case it may be a detox reaction, although lots of TSH could also be involved. I'd say you should stop the iodine for a while and focus on helping your body to detox and 'calm down'. Once you feel that you are back more or less to normal, you can sort of begin again, but with a much smaller dose, and watch closely for any symptoms, and I mean ANY symptoms. I wouldn't increase the dose unless you feel nothing at all, and even then only by one drop.

Others have also mentioned feeling emotional as a result of the iodine. I don't think I mentioned it but the morning after my episode I cried pretty hard for a while, for the state of the world, the suffering and all things I had done to hurt others in my life. I still have some symptoms of my nerves feeling 'frayed' and periodic little emotional 'pangs'.

I'm trying to stay philosophical about it all, but it's pretty tiring to be almost continually stressed in this way. It's funny, but for most of my life I don't think I ever really knew what being "stressed" was. For sure I was stressed as often as anyone, but I don't think I ever really felt it or 'knew' it in a conscious way. Only others could see it in my behavior. I suppose that was a result of me being such a 'fast' person, fast thinking, always observing, noting and cataloging every little detail in my environment. For a lot of other people that would probably be 'stressful', but to me it was always just 'normal'.

Now I'm really getting an idea of what it is to be stressed in a very real way, and for no obvious reason, and it isn't fun! EE has been helping, so maybe that's something to remember for those who have strong reactions to the iodine.

Thanks for sharing your experience Perceval, and sorry to hear that you are going through this.

The bolded part about stress, and your previous comment about not being able to dissociate from it, even in simple natural ways - maybe this is part of the 'lesson' being given here.

Back
Top Bottom