Iodine and Potassium Iodide

Pashalis said:
It is very interesting. Brownstein talks about only 5% of the people he treated had detox symptoms and apparently he dosed many of them quite high from the beginning (12 - 50 mg or higher).

I also started it with a pretty low dose and low and behold, had rather strong detox symptoms right away at the first day. They are getting better now at the third day, I'm still at a fairly low dose but there is definitely somekind of detox still going on. I'll compile a more detailed list/summary about my experience so far, the next couple of days.

It indeed seems like the people here are WAY over that 5% mark in Brownsteins book. Why? What is different with us?

Well my experience of taking iodine went a little bit beyond the detox symptoms described by most here.

I started out with 4 drops once a day for a few days, then went up to 5 or 6. Then went up to 16 (8 twice a day) for several days, then back down to five once a day. A few days after I had probably one of the most horrible experiences of my life. It began at night after going to bed. Feeling of anxiety in my stomach and chest, rapid and heavy heart beat, racing thought, sweats, shivers and digestive problems (went to bathroom 4 times in the night) that lasted until morning. I felt like I was going crazy, going to die, or both. I slept a few hours here and there. Around 11am I felt able to get up, but for the next few days felt very weak, with brain fog and still a generalized background anxiety. This was accompanied by a depression about pretty much everything. Slowly, over the almost 2 weeks since that night, I have begun to feel a bit more 'normal' although even now I still feel 'out of sorts': lacking ability to concentrate and focus for long periods, a general woozyness in the head, stomach acts up a little now and then.

When trying to describe how I felt, I realised that apart from the horrible anxiety and its physiological effects, the really hard part was not being able to dissociate. I only realised this when I caught myself staring off into space for a few seconds, and also realised how calming that is for the mind (which is probably why we do it), and that I hadn't been able to do it for over 1 week.

I got some blood work done about 1 week after the episode, but there was nothing out of the ordinary except slightly high cortisol and high cholesterol. I had a thyroid scan, again nothing abnormal.

I emailed that Dr. Haskell guy, and he suggested it was "all likely due to hyperthyroid from over stimulating tsh production". He also said "I remember this happening when a person was on 75mg of iodoplus but it took a month for him to come down so you are lucky with having recovered so quickly." [I haven't really recovered fully yet].

I thought this was interesting because it suggests that iodine doesn't only act directly on the thyroid but on the pineal gland, stimulating it to ramp up production of TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) that in turn causes the thyroid to produce T3/T4 hormone. I was wondering if it also acts on the hypothalamus:

The two most important thyroid hormones are thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3) that stimulate the metabolism of almost every tissue in the body. The thyronines (Thyroid hormones)act on nearly every cell in the body. They act to increase the basal metabolic rate, affect protein synthesis, help regulate long bone growth (synergy with growth hormone) and neural maturation, and increase the body's sensitivity to catecholamines (such as adrenaline) by permissiveness.

Thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), which is produced by the pituitary gland, acts to stimulate production ot T4/T3 by the thyroid gland. The pituitary gland in turn is stimulated to make TSH by the hypothalamus gland by the release of "TSH Releasing Hormone" (TRH) which tells the pituitary gland to stimulate the thyroid gland (release TSH)

Sitting beneath the cerebral hemispheres are the thalamus and hypothalamus. The thalamus is a relay center between the periphery and the cortex. It receives sensory information from virtually every region of the body, filters all of the information, and then relays the filtered portion to the cerebral cortex. The hypothalamus functions much like the thalamus, but mediates its actions by controlling the release of hormones by the pituitary gland. Its major functions include regulation of body temperature, adjusting heart and respiratory rates, and stimulation and inhibition of eating and drinking.

Anyway, I told Haskell I couldn't understand why so many other people I knew (members here) had taken similar amounts without the same effects. He said:

"Yes, this is perplexing why some people can tolerate high doses of iodine and others cannot. Have no idea."

As he mentions in the video I posted here a few days ago, Haskell recommends no more than 3mg per day of iodine. I suppose he does that since there is no "one size fits all" and if you're going to recommend something like iodine to the general public, you should probably err on the low side. It's kind of crazy to think he recommends 3mgs and I was taking 160mgs.

For now, I'm just hoping I can regain some of my former relative peace of mind and focus I had before. I plan on restarting iodine soon, but 1 drop (maybe of 2% Lugols) will suffice, at least to begin (again) with.

So that's my iodine horror story.

Joe, sorry about your horrible experience.

It's interesting that there's a connection to the pineal gland. I remember way back when the C's recommended melatonin, they said it's a mild hallucinogen. The pineal works with melatonin from what I remember when I looked it up back then.

Perhaps this is why people have been getting more vivid dreams, the pineal getting stimulated more. Plus, the fluoride which supposedly affects the pineal gland is being removed, increasing it's effectiveness!

I have been doing the iodine protocol with salt water in the morning for 3 weeks.

I have been testing the salt water and iodine via biofeedback testing outlined in this thread:

https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,40025.msg613728.html#msg613728

Initially, low doses of iodine tested well, in the range of 1-2 drops of lugol's 2% for the first couple of days, and from then on, I would find that a progressively increasing dose of iodine would test well. This trend continued for about two weeks until over 60-80 drops of iodine tested the best. Accompanying this, the amount of salted water that tested well increased in parallel with the increased iodine consumption.

3 days ago, the dose which tested best went from over 80 drops one day, with which I experienced some overt detox symptoms such as foggy head, fatigue and hyper salivation, to only 3 drops the next day. This pattern has continued over the last 2 days where only 3 and 4 drops respectively have tested the best.

I wonder if the progressively higher doses were required for the purpose of detox/killing off critters, and once a point had been reached where most critters had been taken care of/the saturation point had been reached, the need for iodine lessened greatly, and quite suddenly, and I am now taking the amount that I would normally require if I had not been seriously deficient?

This may help to explain why Joe experienced a very rapid and severe decline in functioning after continuing with relatively high doses of iodine. Perhaps he too reached this possible saturation point and the continued high doses pushed him over the edge into hyperthyroidism?

I will continue to monitor the testing situation as I continue to see whether this pattern of 3-4 drops/day continues and this is all that I require daily, with the 80+drop doses only being required due to severe deficiency/detox/infection, OR whether the tested doses begin to increase/decrease again. FWIW.

Merci à tous pour le partage de vos expériences que je viens lire chaque jour...
De mon côté tout va toujours bien sans effet de désintoxication, je continue donc l'eau chaude salée au lever, Vitamines C 1 cuillerée à café, B3 complexe 1 comprimé, Sélénium 1 comprimé et Glycine, 2 cuillerée à café, pour sucré mon thé au petit déjeuner, je prends mon Lugol 12%, 5 gouttes vers 10h et c'est tout ayant terminé ma cure de magnésium...
Je mange chasseur/cueilleur/ceto et ne fume pas...

Thank you all for sharing your experiences I've read every day ...
From my side everything is always well without detoxification effect, so I continued warm salt water at sunrise, Vitamins C 1 teaspoon, 1 tablet B3 complex, Selenium 1 tablet and Glycine, 2 teaspoon for my tea sweet at breakfast, I take my Lugol 12%, 5 drops around 10 am and that's all having completed my cure magnesium ...
I eat hunter / gatherer / keto and do not smoke ...

Divide By Zero said:
There's a positive side effect to the iodine. I have been able to gain around 5 lbs. I'm naturally skinny, even before paleo with tons of carbs!

I did the pendulum and fingers together pull apart testing a day ago and got 4 drops per day, and confirmed with asking 2 and 2.

I figured it wasn't reliable based on what others have said, especially because my own mind can make up things. However, the finger testing and pendulum were the only consistent tests for me as the other tests seem to have less of a dramatic contrast between yes and no.

So I tried another approach to see if its the idea/information or the actual item that matters.

I took 6 small pieces of paper and wrote down numbers on them ( 1, 2 ,3 ,4 , 5, 6 or more)
Then I shuffled them up face down and put them on the floor spread out.
I took each one and did the fingers together- pull apart testing while thinking this many drops per day of 5% lugols.

First run, I got 4.
I waited a bit and did it again. It was close between 4 and 5, but 5 was strongest.
Interesting...

I also wrote down the names of supplements to check on small pieces of paper and did the same, putting them into 2 piles when done testing.
Yes- Tyrosine, Niacidimide, Mag Malate, Selenium, NAC
No- Zinc, mag citrate, B-100 complex

This is an interesting implementation of the "check with the self" test.

I wouldn't trust muscle testing as I have no partner to work with. -That means no way to blind test anything easily, so the conscious layer can get in the way and muddy results.

I'm thinking of using something like I Ching cards. They've been quite useful in the past, and they seem to work well for me. Shuffling and drawing reduces the chances of conscious interference effectively to nil. I'll give it a shot and report back.

Perceval said:
Well my experience of taking iodine went a little bit beyond the detox symptoms described by most here.

[...]

As he mentions in the video I posted here a few days ago, Haskell recommends no more than 3mg per day of iodine. I suppose he does that since there is no "one size fits all" and if you're going to recommend something like iodine to the general public, you should probably err on the low side. It's kind of crazy to think he recommends 3mgs and I was taking 160mgs.

For now, I'm just hoping I can regain some of my former relative peace of mind and focus I had before. I plan on restarting iodine soon, but 1 drop (maybe of 2% Lugols) will suffice, at least to begin (again) with.

So that my iodine horror story.

Whoa! That sounds horrible! I'm glad to hear you're on the other side of that experience.

~~~

As for my own reporting in...

5 drops 5% Lugol's for approx 31mg iodine.
Salt loading
Brazil nuts, (I've only brought these into correct moderation recently. I wasn't able to find a reliable source which didn't cost an arm and a leg, and was just picking them out of mixed nut snack pouches when I could find them, -which wasn't every day. Then one day, I got a bag full from the local health food store and ate a couple of handfuls worth, thinking, "Come on. These are just nuts. No way this can hurt you! The selenium can't be fully bio-available or I'd have died long ago!" Well.., I felt perfectly craptastic afterwards and remembered, "You know.., every time I've eaten nuts in that quantity, I kind of remember usually feeling awful after. Cool! Brazil Nuts really ARE powerful!" So now I know. Anyway, since you only need a couple a day, the rest of my little supply ought to last a long while.)

And Vitamin C.

I've been taking the 5 drops of 5% every day since December 3rd, and mixing around the times I took things as I learned more and saw how my body responds.

Over the last few days, I've been taking the Lugol's in a big glass of water before bed, sleeping through my sleep hours, I get up for a couple of pee breaks, and then upon waking properly, I drink salt water with vitamin C to clean out my system of the night's work.

The logic being, I'd rather be going through detox symptoms and such when I don't need to be "On", and at my best during waking hours. I'm also not distracted by daily activities and eating and such, so during the night (during short periods of wakefulness), I'm able to take a good accounting of my body and mind.

The downside is that it takes a good half hour or more longer to get to sleep. It's like drinking rocket fuel. It makes me sweat and feel awake and alert. My skin tingles and my toes and fingers feel electric. Then sleep itself can be fitful, and the past couple of nights I've had some intense, high-emotion dreams and I've woken up with lots of negative thoughts racing around in my head, re-playing old arguments and grievances and such.

After the salt/vit C drink when I get up, I feel pretty great and alert through my waking hours. The racing negative thoughts recede and leave me happy and mellow.

Having done two weeks and getting a feel for what my body response is, I'm thinking of dropping down my dosage by a drop or two and seeing how things work from there.

The thing is, I have some dry skin issues on my scalp and face which are bugging me. I was hoping to see some improvement with the iodine. While the rest of my skin and face has notably started glowing with greater health, the dry skin persists. I don't know what's up with that.

I'm going to start looking at B vitamins more closely.

Also, I'm going to do the equivalent of muscle testing to see where I ought to be dosing, etc.

Okay. That's all!

Cheers!

Perceval said:
When trying to describe how I felt, I realised that apart from the horrible anxiety and its physiological effects, the really hard part was not being able to dissociate. I only realised this when I caught myself staring off into space for a few seconds, and also realised how calming that is for the mind (which is probably why we do it), and that I hadn't been able to do it for over 1 week.

[...]

I thought this was interesting because it suggests that iodine doesn't only act directly on the thyroid but on the pineal gland, stimulating it to ramp up production of TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) that in turn causes the thyroid to produce T3/T4 hormone. I was wondering if it also acts on the hypothalamus:

It is interesting how he highlights the pineal gland.

I've noticed less ADHD symptoms while on iodine. There is a history of Parkinson's in my father's side of the family, so I was speculating that other than the thyroid, it was mostly my brain which was benefiting from the iodine. The sustancia nigra in the mid brain, which readily absorbs iodine, is affected in Parkinson's. Then, there is this:

Parkinson’s Disease, Multiple Sclerosis and Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis: The Iodine-Dopachrome-Glutamate Hypothesis
http://orthomolecular.org/library/jom/1999/articles/1999-v14n03-p128.shtml

Long-term iodine deficiency appears linked to abnormalities in the dopaminergic system that include an increased number of dopamine receptors. It is argued that this raises susceptibility to dopamine oxidation which, in turn, causes deficiencies of the antioxidant enzymes Cu/Zn superoxide dismutase, glutathione peroxidase and catalase. Dopamine deficiency also leads to elevated cytotoxic glutamate levels. Implications of the iodine-dopachrome-glutamate hypothesis, for treatment of these three neurologic disorders, are then discussed. Possible interventions include the use of levodopa, vitamin B3, Coenzyme Q10, various antioxidants, amino acids, iodine and glutamate antagonists.

Addictions create imbalances in the dopaminergic system.

Perhaps those of us with this genetic susceptibility will do better with higher doses of iodine? I did self-muscle testing twice with the same results: 6 drops of iodine (3% lugol) + potassium iodine (at least 140mg). This in a pulsed dose of two times per week, allowing 48 hours in between doses. Someone is helping me on Monday with the muscle test though, lets see if the results will be different.

Detox symptoms seem to be on a whole different category. They also get better with the recommended measures: FIR sauna, vitamin C, salted water, etc.

Just in case, I would keep the following in mind:

Brownstein said:
l have only had to use microgram amounts of iodine a few times over the last 12 years. This has occurred in patients who are extremely sensitive to nearly everything... Those that are sensitive to medications may need a lowered dose, and may need to titrate their dose of iodine. If one is deficient in iodine, it is rare not to be able to find an appropriate dose to improve the clinical condition.

3mg could be the safety reference point in order to prevent horrifying experiences with iodine. But there could be a very few who would need even a much lower dose (micrograms). The later should be very sensitive individuals who probably reacted weirdly to drugs or supplements before.

Gaby said:
I've noticed less ADHD symptoms while on iodine. There is a history of Parkinson's in my father's side of the family, so I was speculating that other than the thyroid, it was mostly my brain which was benefiting from the iodine. The sustancia nigra in the mid brain, which readily absorbs iodine, is affected in Parkinson's. Then, there is this:

Parkinson’s Disease, Multiple Sclerosis and Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis: The Iodine-Dopachrome-Glutamate Hypothesis

Long-term iodine deficiency appears linked to abnormalities in the dopaminergic system that include an increased number of dopamine receptors. It is argued that this raises susceptibility to dopamine oxidation which, in turn, causes deficiencies of the antioxidant enzymes Cu/Zn superoxide dismutase, glutathione peroxidase and catalase. Dopamine deficiency also leads to elevated cytotoxic glutamate levels. Implications of the iodine-dopachrome-glutamate hypothesis, for treatment of these three neurologic disorders, are then discussed. Possible interventions include the use of levodopa, vitamin B3, Coenzyme Q10, various antioxidants, amino acids, iodine and glutamate antagonists.

Addictions create imbalances in the dopaminergic system.

I highlighted some relevant quotes from the paper:

Latitude

Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis are all more common at higher latitudes. Incidence and prevalence rates for Parkinson’s disease in United States’ whites, for example, display a “gradient” with a latitudinal component, with mortality being some 20 percent lower in the southeast than elsewhere in the United States.1 Comparable north to south gradients in the prescription of levodopa, used predominantly to treat Parkinsonism, have been reported from both Spain2 and Sweden.3 This relationship between Parkinson’s disease and latitude was confirmed on a global scale by de Pedro.4

Latitude and the prevalence of multiple sclerosis also are linked.5 This is highest in a zone that includes northern and central Europe into the former USSR, southern Canada and the northern United States, New Zealand and southeastern Australia, where prevalence rates reach 30 or more per 100,000. This high risk zone is bounded by regions displaying prevalence rates of between 5 to 29 per 100,000, including most of Australia, the southern United States, south-western Norway and northern Scandinavia, the Mediterranean basin from Spain to Israel and that portion of the former USSR that stretches from the Urals into Siberia and the Ukraine. Whites in South Africa and probably central South America also are included in this medium risk zone. Elsewhere, the prevalence of multiple sclerosis is lower than 5 per 100,000, as for example in Japan, Korea, Africa, Mexico and the Caribbean.

A similar relationship has been established between latitude and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis mortality. Goldberg and Kurland,6 for example, published annual age-adjusted death rates for a number of neurologic diseases, for 33 countries, at five year intervals, during the 1950s. With the exception of Czechoslovakia, the lowest annual age-adjusted death rates for motor neuron disease were associated with lower latitudes, occurring in Israel, South Africa, Chile and Mexico, which had average annual age-adjusted rates of 0.4 per 100,000 or less. In contrast, rates of 1.0 or more per 100,000 were reported for the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Switzerland and Scotland. These spatial differences were confirmed by a global review of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis mortality, conducted by Olivares and colleagues7 in 1972. Kondo and Tsubaki8 also published world-wide data on motor neuron disease, comparable to that of Goldberg and Kurland,6 but for the period 1966 to 1971. They again established that the highest mortalities from motor neuron disease had occurred in temperate countries, such as New Zealand, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark and Switzerland. Furthermore, Snow9 subsequently demonstrated that 79 percent of the U.S. states with above average mortality from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, during the period 1959 to 1961, were located at or above 40 degrees latitude (p=0.001, rr=12.188).

Regional Spatial Variations

Not only are Parkinsonism, multiple sclerosis and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis generally more common at higher latitudes, but their prevalence and mortality rates show spatial similarities even at the regional scale. To illustrate, Lux and Kurtzke10 have established that, in the United States, there are statistically significant correlations between multiple sclerosis mortality and prevalence and death rates from Parkinson’s disease. Similarly, Schwartz11 argued that in the United States and elsewhere, the geographic distributions of multiple sclerosis and Parkinson’s disease were significantly related. To examine this relationship further, the current author correlated death in the United States from multiple sclerosis, by place of birth, with both mortality from Parkinson’s disease in individuals of all ages (r=0.77555, p=0.0001) and in those aged 65 and over (r=0.71663, p=0.0001). Multiple sclerosis mortality also displayed a significant positive correlation with death from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (r=0.43952, p = 0.0019). The analysed data had been abstracted from the Epidemiology of Neurologic and Sense Organ Disorders12 and was limited to whites, for the period 1959 to 1961.

Identifying Possible Causal Variables

A database, described elsewhere,13 has been developed, at the state scale, for the United States that contains incidence, prevalence and mortality data for 84 diseases or disease groups, for 128 time periods. Correlations between the three neurologic disorders and other diseases in the database established that white mortality, from Parkinsonism (r = 0.50875, p = 0.0002) and multiple sclerosis, ( r=0.53513, p=0.0001), during the period 1959 to 1961, displayed statistically significant relationships with the prevalence rate of goiter, experienced by World War I troops.

A second previously described database,14 containing information on the spatial patterns of 219 environmental variables, was then used to identify possible links between mortalities from these three neurologic disorders and aspects of the geography of the United States. Of particular interest were the strong positive correlations identified between white mortality from Parkinsonism (r=0.50564, p=0.0003), multiple sclerosis (r=0.47944, p=0.0006) and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (r=0.38225, p=0.0091) and iodine deficient soils.

{So it was not necessarily vitamin D deficiency, but iodine deficiency!}

Iodine Deficiency

These analyses suggest that all three neurological disorders are commonest in the iodine deficient temperate regions. As pointed out by Goldschmidt,15 soils in areas covered by Pleistocene ice sheets or glaciers, especially during the most recent Wisconsin glaciation, are typically very iodine deficient. This is because old soils, which had been enriched by iodine from precipitation, were removed during glaciation. As a result, soils in the north of the United States, where mortalities from Parkinsonism, multiple sclerosis and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis are elevated, tend to contain much less iodine than those in the south, the latter being unaffected by the major ice sheets, or by deposition of wind blown loess. Interestingly, the “dividing line” in the United States between high and medium - prevalence multiple sclerosis zones is at about 37 - 38 degrees north latitude,16 very close to the southern limit of such Wisconsin glacial deposits.17

The hypothesis that Parkinson’s disease may be linked to soil and hence dietary iodine deficiency, associated with glaciation, is not new. In 1987, de Pedro4 concluded that Parkinsonism had the strongest links with “Early life exposure to a geochemical imbalance, related to the last glaciation, associated to iodine washing out, present in soil, water and diet.” He reached this conclusion based on Parkinson’s disease prevalence and mortality in selected age groups and similarities between current levodopa use and goiter distribution, during the period 1920 to 1935. As early as 1959, Warren18 also argued that multiple sclerosis was more common in regions that had suffered recent continental glaciations, where it tends to develop most frequently in individuals who, as newborns, were fed milk from iodine deficient cows.19 It has been hypothesized that a lack of iodine in fodder deprives cattle of thyroxine, a deficiency which in turn prevents the conversion of carotene to vitamin A. Milk short of this vitamin also lacks the essential fatty acids because the latter, which form the main constituents of the myelin sheath, are oxidized rapidly in the absence of vitamin A. Certainly, a thyroid deficiency in rats has been liked to reduced myelin formation.20

The current author was not the first to recognize a spatial association between amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and goiter. Gajdusek and Salazar21 noted that in south west New Guinea, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, endemic goiter and cretinism all had analogous spatial distributions. To test the possibility of a relationship between amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and iodine deficiency further, Snow9 collected questionnaire data from 50 British Columbian amyotrophic lateral sclerosis patients and a similar number of gender and age matched controls. He concluded that the risk of developing amyotrophic lateral sclerosis was significantly increased (p=0.001, rr=3.807) when blood relatives of patients had been afflicted by those diseases that Foster22 had claimed were linked to iodine deficiency, namely multiple sclerosis, goiter, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and cancers of the central nervous system and thyroid.

The Iodine-Dopamine Connection

Overstreet and colleagues23 demonstrated that male rats, raised on iodine-deficient diets, developed an abnormally high (28% increase) number of dopamine receptors in the striatum. Gilbert24 has argued also that long exposure to a lack of iodine, seen for example in many Africans and Chinese, results in a crucial dopamine-thyroid action that slows cell timing mechanisms. Certainly, dopamine D1 and D2 receptors are consistently elevated in Parkinson’s diseased striata from patients who have not been medicated premortem with levodopa.25 Interestingly, in women suffering from multiple sclerosis, the rate of relapse declines during pregnancy as dopamine levels increase.26 In contrast, pregnancy often is associated with a depressed thyroid function, which in some cases culminates in goiter.27, 28

While, as yet, the evidence is not conclusive, it suggests that early iodine deficiency may cause abnormalities in the dopaminergic system24 and so increase susceptibility to some dopamine-related diseases, such as Parkinsonism, later in life. Certainly there is a link between dopamine and the thyroid since Kaptein and colleagues29 have shown that dopamine reduces serum TSH and aggravates low thyroxine levels in patients for whom it is prescribed.

Dopamine Abnormalities

If this iodine-dopamine hypothesis is correct, there should be evidence of dopamine deficiency in Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. This is obviously the case in Parkinsonism30 where levodopa and its agonists play a key role in therapy. Dopamine inadequacy also has been shown to occur in multiple sclerosis. Berne-Fromell and coworkers,31 for example, have described a clinical study conducted in Linköping, Sweden. Here 300 multiple sclerosis patients were treated with levodopa and tri- and tetracyclic antidepressants. After one to two months, 75% had substantial sensory, motor and autonomic symptom improvements. Many also experienced the return of functions previously lost for several years. There is also considerable evidence of a dopamine deficiency in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.32 Cerebrospinal fluid levels of homovanillic acid, a major catabolize of dopamine, appear to be substantially lower in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis patients than in controls.33 Mendell and colleagues34 suggested that this anomaly was indicative of diminished central dopamine synthesis. Nevertheless, in a levodopa trial involving 21 amyotrophic lateral sclerosis patients, they were unable to show any beneficial clinical effects at doses and treatment durations adequate to produce improvements in Parkinson’s disease. Despite this, researchers continue to identify dopamine anomalies in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis patients. Sofic and coworkers33 discovered significantly lower concentrations of dopamine in the thoracic and lumber segments of postmortem spinal cord in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis patients in comparison with controls. Similarly, Borasio and colleagues32 used [I-123] IPT single photon emission computed tomography to show a moderate, but significant reduction in striatal IPT binding, and therefore a dopaminergic deficit in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, compared with controls. Antibodies, found in the serum of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis patients, also inhibit dopamine release mediated by L-type calcium channels.35 These observations appear to support the involvement of a dopamine deficiency in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.

The Dopamine-Dopachrome Link

Hoffer36 has suggested that in Parkinson’s disease, dopamine deficiency is due to the excessive oxidation of dopamine to dopachrome. This oxidative process may also occur in multiple sclerosis and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Cu/Zn superoxide dismutase, glutathione peroxidase and catalase are the three main enzymes involved in cellular protection against damage caused by oxygen-derived free radicals.37 If these three neurologic disorders involve the excessive oxidation of dopamine, they should each be accompanied by abnormal stores of these three enzymes.

There is an extensive literature suggesting that oxidation stress is indeed involved in the three neurologic diseases under discussion. To illustrate, Damier and coworkers38 investigated the distribution of glutathione peroxidase - containing cells in the midbrain of four control subjects and four Parkinson’s disease patients. In the latter, there appeared to be an increased density of glutathione peroxidase-immunostained cells surrounding the surviving dopaminergic neurons. Furthermore, Johannsen and colleagues39 have established that erythrocyte glutathione peroxidase levels are significantly lower in advanced cases of Parkinson’s disease than they are in recently diagnosed patients. In addition, using PC12 cells over-expressing glutathine peroxidase, Kim-Han and Sun40 were able to demonstrate that, in Parkinson’s disease, levodopa appears to cause neuronal cell death by an oxidative pathway and that glutathione peroxidase may play an important role in cellular defence against such stress.

Shukla and coworkers41 also have shown a significant decrease in glutathione peroxidase activity in the erythrocytes of 24 multiple sclerosis patients, compared to that in normal controls. This relationship was confirmed subsequently by Szeinberg and coworkers.42

Evidence of oxidative stress in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis has been found in plasma, red blood cells and brain tissue of patients. Moumen and associated research workers43 have shown, for example, that plasma glutathione peroxidase activity is significantly reduced in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis patients. In contrast, malone dialdehyde and superoxide dismutase activity is significantly higher than in controls, providing indirect confirmation of excess liperoxydation in the disease. In confirmation, Apostolski and colleagues44 have shown that a disturbed oxidative/ antioxidative balance exists in both the motor neurons and the blood of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis patients. Their results indicated significantly decreased glutathione peroxidase and Cu/Zn superoxide dismutase activity in 35 patients compared to controls. Abnormal superoxide dismutase activity has been recorded also in Parkinson’s disease45-47 and in multiple sclerosis.48 Interestingly, the pathology of familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis has been attributed to oxidative damage caused by a mutant Cu/Zn superoxide dismutase enzyme.49

Furthermore, Ambani and coworkers50 have demonstrated that catalase activity is reduced in the substantia nigra and putamen of the Parkinsonian brain. Abnormal catalase activity has been reported also in the granulocytes and erythrocytes of multiple sclerosis patients,51 being decreased in the former and increased in the later, compared to normal controls. Taken as a whole, the available literature, therefore, appears to confirm that, in all three neurologic disorders abnormalities are present in the major enzymes involved in cellular protection against damage caused by excess oxidation and free radical production.

Dopamine-Glutamate Relationships

Glutamate is an excitatory amino acid neurotransmitter that is cytotoxic when over-expressed at synaptic terminals. As a result, elevated glutamate appears to play a role in several diseases, including ischemia and methamphetamine-induced toxicity. Berman and Hastings52 have shown the reactive oxygen species and dopamine oxidation products can modify glutamate transport function, resulting in the elevated levels implicated in such neuro-degeneration. It follows, therefore, that if the three neurologic diseases under discussion involve the excessive oxidation of dopamine, abnormally high levels of cytotoxic glutamate will also be present in patients suffering from them.

Interestingly, while Iwasaki and coworkers53 have identified elevated plasma glutamate in Parkinson’s patients, Mally and coworkers54 have demonstrated that this amino acid is depressed in the cerebro-spinal fluid, results consistent with an alteration of glutamate neurotransmission in Parkinsonism.

Glutamate abnormalities have been found also in multiple sclerosis where elevated levels are related to relapses. Increases in serum glutamate do not occur sharply during relapses, rather they rise gradually for a month or two prior to the onset of a clinical relapse, peak during it and then slowly decline.55 Barkhatova and coworkers also have established elevated glutamate levels in the cerebral fluid of patients with multiple sclerosis.56

A large number of studies have documented that glutamate abnormalities occur in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis patients,59 or in their postmortem tissue. These abnormalities have been found related to altered synthetic enzymes, tissue glutamate levels, transporter proteins and postsynoptic receptors. To illustrate, Rothstein and coworkers58 measured high-affinity, sodium-dependent glutamate transport in synaptosomes from neural tissue, taken from 13 amyotrophic lateral sclerosis patients, 17 patients with no neurologic disease and 27 patients with either Alzheimer’s or Huntington’s diseases. They concluded that “Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis is associated with a defect in high-affinity glutamate transport that has disease, region and chemical specificity. Defects in the clearance of extracellular glutamate because of a faulty transporter could lead to neurotoxic levels of extracellular glutamate and thus be pathogenic in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.”

Implications for Treatment

Parkinsonism, multiple sclerosis and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis each appear to involve an iodine deficiency before and immediately after birth, which affects the dopaminergic system. In adulthood, this abnormality seems to increase susceptibility to the oxidation of dopamine and to an associated glut of cytotoxic glutamate. If this hypothesis is correct, it implies treatment avenues that should be further explored. Firstly, levodopa seems likely to be beneficial in all three disorders, but should probably be accompanied by vitamin B3 and coenzyme Q10. Shulz and coworkers,59 for example, have found that, in animals given Parkinsonism by the administration of MPTP, vitamin B3 and coenzyme Q10 provide protection against dopamine depletion and, therefore, help prevent the psychotic effects of its associated oxidative byproduct, dopachrome. This may explain Hoffer’s success in adding high doses of vitamin B3 and coenzyme Q10 to the normal treatments for Parkinsonism.36

{It reminds me of the following concepts:

Nicotine helps Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Patients
http://www.sott.net/article/138559-Nicotine-helps-Alzheimers-and-Parkinsons-Patients

Nicotine vs nicotinic acid (niacin)
http://www.sott.net/article/270514-Nicotine-vs-nicotinic-acid-niacin

The two molecules are not unrelated. A simple oxidation reaction is all you need to turn nicotine into nicotinic acid. It's not an accident of nomenclature at all.

Niacin and schizophrenia
http://www.sott.net/article/288040-Niacin-and-schizophrenia}

Secondly, all three disorders appear to involve the depletion of the enzymes which protect against oxidative stress, Cu/Zn superoxide dismutase, glutathione peroxidase and catalase. This may be why anti-oxidant supplementation, especially selenium, vitamin E and vitamin C, is now recommended for multiple sclerosis patients.60 It also may account for some of the success of the Swank diet61 in the treatment of this disorder, since this diet is very high in the antioxidant vitamin A and in the essential fatty acids, which are easily oxidized and create prostaglandin deficiencies. Beyond this, Apostolski and coworkers44 have shown, in clinical trials, that the course of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis can be slowed by the administration of selenium, other antioxidants, amino acids, and a Ca2+ channel blocker such as nimodipine. Only the use of all of these components together enhanced glutathione peroxidase activity, increased plasma vitamin E levels and appeared to slow disease progression. Hoffer and Walker 62 also have discussed the long-term survival (22 years) of an amyotrophic lateral sclerosis patient receiving coenzyme Q10, selenium, zinc, dolomite, niacinamide, thiamine, folic acid and vitamin E. Thirdly there would also seem to be a role for glutamate antagonists in all three disorders. Finally, given the apparent relationship between iodine and dopamine, it seems logical to further explore the value of this mineral in the treatment of these neurologic diseases.

{Funny how he highlights all the cofactors minus the most important thing, iodine! Well, at least it is remembered in the last sentence}

Gaby said:
I highlighted some relevant quotes from the paper:

Latitude

Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis are all more common at higher latitudes. Incidence and prevalence rates for Parkinson’s disease in United States’ whites, for example, display a “gradient” with a latitudinal component, with mortality being some 20 percent lower in the southeast than elsewhere in the United States.1 Comparable north to south gradients in the prescription of levodopa, used predominantly to treat Parkinsonism, have been reported from both Spain2 and Sweden.3 This relationship between Parkinson’s disease and latitude was confirmed on a global scale by de Pedro.4

[...][...][...]

Identifying Possible Causal Variables

A database, described elsewhere,13 has been developed, at the state scale, for the United States that contains incidence, prevalence and mortality data for 84 diseases or disease groups, for 128 time periods. Correlations between the three neurologic disorders and other diseases in the database established that white mortality, from Parkinsonism (r = 0.50875, p = 0.0002) and multiple sclerosis, ( r=0.53513, p=0.0001), during the period 1959 to 1961, displayed statistically significant relationships with the prevalence rate of goiter, experienced by World War I troops.

A second previously described database,14 containing information on the spatial patterns of 219 environmental variables, was then used to identify possible links between mortalities from these three neurologic disorders and aspects of the geography of the United States. Of particular interest were the strong positive correlations identified between white mortality from Parkinsonism (r=0.50564, p=0.0003), multiple sclerosis (r=0.47944, p=0.0006) and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (r=0.38225, p=0.0091) and iodine deficient soils.

{So it was not necessarily vitamin D deficiency, but iodine deficiency!}

Iodine Deficiency

These analyses suggest that all three neurological disorders are commonest in the iodine deficient temperate regions. As pointed out by Goldschmidt,15 soils in areas covered by Pleistocene ice sheets or glaciers, especially during the most recent Wisconsin glaciation, are typically very iodine deficient. This is because old soils, which had been enriched by iodine from precipitation, were removed during glaciation. As a result, soils in the north of the United States, where mortalities from Parkinsonism, multiple sclerosis and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis are elevated, tend to contain much less iodine than those in the south, the latter being unaffected by the major ice sheets, or by deposition of wind blown loess. Interestingly, the “dividing line” in the United States between high and medium - prevalence multiple sclerosis zones is at about 37 - 38 degrees north latitude,16 very close to the southern limit of such Wisconsin glacial deposits.17

This is a really exciting line of inquiry/reporting, btw. Thank-you, for sharing! It's so cool to see a researcher reporting on our evolutionary relationship with iodine.

Perceval said:
So that's my iodine horror story.

Hi Joe,

Very glad to hear you're coming around -- from quite a "trip" it seems. If I may ask, what was the reason for your initial high dosage to begin with?

This part of the session transcript struck me:

Q: (L) One of the things that Brownstein says in the book is that many people's
problems are not so much critters as it is heavy metals. The iodine removes
cadmium, mercury, lead, all kinds of metals from the body. It even cleans them
out of the endocrine systems,
... Does it do that?

A: Yes yes yes

Then there's this:

Q: (L) Some websites are saying it's safe up to 6 grams or something like that per day.
That's a whole helluva lot! I don't even know how you'd manage to take that much.
Probably a gram a day is about the most you can take without being sick ...?

A: Yes

(L) And I don't even think that high a dose is necessary.

A: Not usually.

Further along:

Q: (nicklebleu) It's usually said in terms of nuclear radiation or fallout that iodine is
only good to protect the thyroid. Does it have other protective effects in this regard?

A: Protects all the glandular systems which are your interface with higher densities.

I normally do not change my health habits -- in the belief of not fixing things that ain't broke. But that last part got my attention. And I'm now on 2 drops each day.

FWIW.

I'm sorry to hear about that Perceval. I had similar effects; depression and anxiety, it lasted for a day or two, but it was pretty heavy. I'm taking potassium iodide for now, and then go back to a few drops of iodine and see what happens.

Perceval said:
I emailed that Dr. Haskell guy, and he suggested it was "all likely due to hyperthyroid from over stimulating tsh production". He also said "I remember this happening when a person was on 75mg of iodoplus but it took a month for him to come down so you are lucky with having recovered so quickly." [I haven't really recovered fully yet].

I could be wrong but I think it is the pituitary gland? About elevated TSH levels, Brownstein writes:

This iodine-deficient patient's body does not require a large amount of NIS since there is little iodine that needs to be transported into the
cells. However, when this individual begins to supplement with iodine, the extra iodine now needs to be transported into the cells. One way the
body will accomplish this is to increase the production of TSH to stimulate more NIS. In other words, when iodine supplementation is started, the body will produce more "NIS taxi cabs" to shuttle the iodine into the thyroid cell in order to produce thyroid hormone.

My experience has shown, when iodine supplementation has begun, an elevated TSH without clinical signs of hypothyroidism (i.e., fatigue,
hair loss, headaches, etc.) as well as normal T3 and T4 levels does not indicate a hypothyroid condition
. On the contrary, the elevated TSH is
the body's appropriate and necessary response to produce more NIS or "taxi cabs" to increase the transport of iodine into the thyroid cells.

How long does TSH stay elevated? I have found that TSH may remain elevated for up to 6 months before lowering to normal. How high do TSH levels rise? The normal TSH level ranges from 0.5-4.5mIU/L. I have witnessed TSH levels elevated to 5-30mIU/L for a period of time - sometimes up to six months - before falling back to the normal range. Remember, if there are no clinical symptoms of thyroid problems and T3 and T4 levels are normal, it is doubtful that TSH elevation is sign of hypothyroidism. In this case, TSH elevation is normal and expected. The TSH will decline back to the reference range after the thyroid gland is saturated with iodine.

Perhaps one thing you could do is to have your TSH and T3 and T4 levels checked? If your TSH levels are in the range of 0.5-30mIU/L I suppose that would be OK, and if your T3 and T4 levels are okay too then in that case your reactions could've been due to bromide detoxification instead:

Iodine can cause adverse effects, including symptoms of hyperthyroidism such as nervousness, jitteriness, palpitations etc., from a detoxification reaction. When this occurs, in most cases, it is due to iodine displacing the toxic halide bromine.

I think taking magnesium on an empty stomach before bed will help a lot, it helped me, especially with sleeping. :hug2:

Oxajil said:
Perhaps one thing you could do is to have your TSH and T3 and T4 levels checked? If your TSH levels are in the range of 0.5-30mIU/L I suppose that would be OK, and if your T3 and T4 levels are okay too then in that case your reactions could've been due to bromide detoxification instead:

Hi Oxajil, I had those tested and they were all normal. So maybe it was a crazy detox effect. I did have lots of mercury fillings for most of my life. Thanks for the info!

Hi all, Something I'm still not clear on.

Should I not do any iodine ( even low dose ) if i still have metal in my mouth?...and, depending on the answer to the above; Would the pill form be better so as to not cause direct contact and possible leeching of merc into the body? ....or am i completely wrong here and the iodine in the blood stream will detox the merc anyway...( which i guess would answer my first question :huh:...)

I hope the metal does not make it impossible as i currently don't have the resources to have the metal removed.

I have been following this thread...but i might have missed a previous answer to this question. Thank you.

beherenow said:
I hope the metal does not make it impossible as i currently don't have the resources to have the metal removed.

People do iodine and other heavy metal chelating protocols when they have mercury amalgams. Despite warnings from a few "experts" which seem for the most part unfounded, people report benefits when they do heavy metal chelation when they have mercury amalgams.

Thank you, Gaby. I was worried it would be some kind of catch-22 thing, where the iodine helps and the constant merc detox hinders. The more i thought about it...after posting,of course...was that tooth material does not bleed so the metal should be "captured" for the most part.

Joe, glad your feeling a bit better. Due to some symptoms ( I have yet to do any blood tests) that point to too much iron, I was wondering if your iodine protocol had any effect on your iron levels? I remember somewhere in this thread it was mentioned about you being the "guinea pig" for that test. Thank you all very much for this thread.. (and everything else too!)

Back
Top Bottom