Iodine and Potassium Iodide

Although I don't think mercury is the biggest concern when it comes to fish oil. I remember hearing somewhere (not sure if it was a radio show or a sott article) that we actually don't absorb the Mercury from eating fish. I'm not sure if it's because of the the selenium in the fish that when ingested actually expels the Mercury... Or some kind of element that plays a part in helping the fish avoid the affect of mercury that are still active when we ingest them... I'm not sure, don't really remember. But I guess you can't go wrong with using precaution and avoiding it for that reason.

I would avoid it more importantly because of the unstable fatty acid chains..

Solie said:
Divide By Zero said:
I've started taking some chollera and spirulina tablets along with the C, salt, selenium, B vitamins, magnesium citrate/malate.
The only thing is that I still get constipation which affects me more than the iodine, because it causes soreness after a day or so. I'm not sure what else to do besides add some hard bulk like more qunioa or brown rice to my diet (as I eat paleo).

I am aware that cholera and spirulina have quite a bit of protein and that might be causing the constipation. I suggest maybe upping your fat intake a little and see how that goes. I don't think extra fiber would help in that case because personally when I eat too many nuts (which is fiber and protein) it usually causes my stools to harden. Also, you might want to try drinking more water.

I hate to be the spelling nazi, but I think you all meant 'chlorella' in the posts above:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorella

(Cholera is a disease..)

Solie said:
Although I don't think mercury is the biggest concern when it comes to fish oil. I remember hearing somewhere (not sure if it was a radio show or a sott article) that we actually don't absorb the Mercury from eating fish. I'm not sure if it's because of the the selenium in the fish that when ingested actually expels the Mercury... Or some kind of element that plays a part in helping the fish avoid the affect of mercury that are still active when we ingest them... I'm not sure, don't really remember. But I guess you can't go wrong with using precaution and avoiding it for that reason.

Yes, there was a big study done about it and which Kresser himself quoted. If the fish has enough selenium, then probably the selenium is going to neutralize the mercury. That pretty much applied to all fish, except big sized ones like shark, whale... Not the usual stuff people eat anyway.

I would avoid fish if it was farmed, raised with corn and who knows what. Also if there are oil spill contamination concerns. Fukushima's fish is not a good idea either!

However, there is some good news:

Detoxify or die! Environmental toxicity and the endocrine glands
http://www.sott.net/article/309361-Detoxify-or-die-Environmental-toxicity-and-the-endocrine-glands

Iodine protects double bonds while they are being transported to the sites where they are needed such as blood vessels and synaptic membranes of the central nervous system.

This refers to the double bonds in unsaturated fat, i.e. fish oil.

Gaby said:
Solie said:

Yes, there was a big study done about it and which Kresser himself quoted. If the fish has enough selenium, then probably the selenium is going to neutralize the mercury. That pretty much applied to all fish, except big sized ones like shark, whale... Not the usual stuff people eat anyway.

I would avoid fish if it was farmed, raised with corn and who knows what. Also if there are oil spill contamination concerns. Fukushima's fish is not a good idea either!

However, there is some good news:

Detoxify or die! Environmental toxicity and the endocrine glands
http://www.sott.net/article/309361-Detoxify-or-die-Environmental-toxicity-and-the-endocrine-glands

Iodine protects double bonds while they are being transported to the sites where they are needed such as blood vessels and synaptic membranes of the central nervous system.

This refers to the double bonds in unsaturated fat, i.e. fish oil.

Aha!!! And all fish contain at least trace amounts of iodine!

broken.english said:
Perceval said:
Has anyone had any experience of taking cilantro/coriander tincture drops?

Yes, cilantro drops and chlorella after removal of my amalgame fillings. Two rounds of several months in total. It was absolutely harmless without any noticeable side effects in my case.

After that I took ALA, also without side effects.

Tonite, during a visit after work to one of our local whole foods shops, I discovered a tincture called Cilantro Heavy Metal Detox w/ Chlorella (from Planetary Herbals) _http://www.planetaryherbals.com/products/GP2240/

While the price point was high at this brick-and-mortar ($23.99 for 4oz), I've just now found it online at Pure Formulas (free shipping in the US) for $13.65 _https://www.pureformulas.com/cilantro-heavy-metal-detox-4-oz-by-planetary-herbals.html

Interestingly, while Pure Formulas has International Shipping, when I attempted to check shipping charges for France, the item was disallowed further transactional processing because of shipping restrictions placed on it (?!)...

But International shipping is available at other sites like VitaCost (4oz @ $12.79) _http://www.vitacost.com/planetary-herbals-cilantro-heavy-metal-detox-with-chlorella

... and iHerb (4oz @ $13.23) _http://www.iherb.com/Planetary-Herbals-Cilantro-Heavy-Metal-Detox-4-fl-oz-118-28-ml/20830

Just a reminder to those of you having twitching faces or cramps, it can mean that the bad metals are taking the good minerals out with them so you need to re-mineralize two or three days a week. I just take an extra potassium capsule and a couple of multi-minerals without iron and it fixes that problem right up.

Gaby said:
I would avoid fish if it was farmed, raised with corn and who knows what.

After the mad cow disease episode that struck Europe, meat and bone meals were banned from cattle feeding. Those banned products were then used in the fish farming industry where their use is legal.

Link (in French)

quote from Joe
The reference to candida is interesting. Apparently people can get candida flare ups with iodine. Why would this be? The most likely answer is that the iodine is releasing heavy metals/toxins into the system and one way the body deals with toxic overload is to encourage the proliferation of yeast because yeast 'grabs' heavy metals and 'isolates' them. So as part of a temporary detox protocol after taking iodine, I would take some DMSA or other heavy metal chelator.

Just by passing, I was thinking if Candida flare ups with iodine together with stress caused by detox in itself could be the reasons why many of us are experiencing more hunger.

Speaking of myself I´ve noticed that hunger sensation decreases a lot soon after having swallowed only few food and that my appetite isn´t proportional to what I actually will manage to eat.

Perceval said:
Shared Joy said:
Perceval said:
Has anyone had any experience of taking cilantro/coriander tincture drops?
Thanks Shared Joy. Did you get your heavy metal levels (mercury) checked before and after to confirm that the coriander did the trick?

Hi Perceval,
I mentioned earlier that I did the chlorella - coriander supplementation together with the iodine protocol, so the results are due to the whole treatment. Here I just emphasized that , yes, I have had a positive experience with the chlorella/coriander duo added to the iodine protocol.

I had bio-resonance measurements made back in 2013, so, yes, I can see the positive development at all parameters. Lead is an exception, therefore I mentioned it expressly, to offer some feedback for those who might encounter the same problem. It seems that lead is not dislodged solely from iodine, chlorella, cilantro use.
I thought to try some EDTA to have the lead removed.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I also experienced more intense dreaming and dream recall.

This would be for now.
I wish you all the best, you have all been of great help!
May the coming year be also "prosperous in knowledge application"

Joy

Divide By Zero said:
Foxx said:
Solie said:
I am aware that cholera and spirulina have quite a bit of protein and that might be causing the constipation. I suggest maybe upping your fat intake a little and see how that goes. I don't think extra fiber would help in that case because personally when I eat too many nuts (which is fiber and protein) it usually causes my stools to harden. Also, you might want to try drinking more water.

Could the be the Chlorella. Also, a word of caution when mixing Chlorella and clay for detox, if anyone's thinking of doing so: I did this once or twice and when the two mixed together, it seemed to turn into some kind of cement mixture in my intestines--definitely not fun, so I'd highly recommend against using the two together.

I've had this issue before taking chlorella and iodine. I eat plenty of fat, mostly from when I make bacon and collect it. The beginning of iodine helped normalize a bit with cases of yellowish stool. But now it's back to the way it was.
I used to think it was coffee which I drank 2-4 cups a day of, but cutting that out didn't change anything either.

I will try to do the coffee enema as I hear it helps clean out the liver/bile ducts and eliminate toxins. I tried it in the past and the only issue I had was holding it for 15-20 mins or so that is normally mentioned.

Are you taking magnesium? That usually helps with softening the stools along with vitamin C and salt loading. Instead of adding quinoa to you diet I suggest maybe some leafy greens? How about a salad with avocado oil or EVO? Again, the extra fat will do wonders in softening the stool. It could have been what you ate maybe, but yellowish stool usually mean you're lacking bile acid (or bile salt) or liver/gallbladder/pancreatic problems.

Either way, that fact that you are constantly constipated isn't a good sigh. I suggest before moving forward that you take some time out and see if you can normalize your stools. Drink lots of water, re-mineralize and play around with your diet maybe. You might just find out all you needed is just a salad every now and then.

Solie said:
Divide By Zero said:
I've had this issue before taking chlorella and iodine. I eat plenty of fat, mostly from when I make bacon and collect it. The beginning of iodine helped normalize a bit with cases of yellowish stool. But now it's back to the way it was.
I used to think it was coffee which I drank 2-4 cups a day of, but cutting that out didn't change anything either.

I will try to do the coffee enema as I hear it helps clean out the liver/bile ducts and eliminate toxins. I tried it in the past and the only issue I had was holding it for 15-20 mins or so that is normally mentioned.

Are you taking magnesium? That usually helps with softening the stools along with vitamin C and salt loading. Instead of adding quinoa to you diet I suggest maybe some leafy greens? How about a salad with avocado oil or EVO? Again, the extra fat will do wonders in softening the stool. It could have been what you ate maybe, but yellowish stool usually mean you're lacking bile acid (or bile salt) or liver/gallbladder/pancreatic problems.

Either way, that fact that you are constantly constipated isn't a good sigh. I suggest before moving forward that you take some time out and see if you can normalize your stools. Drink lots of water, re-mineralize and play around with your diet maybe. You might just find out all you needed is just a salad every now and then.

Yes. Taking magnesium and probiotics before bed can really sort this problem out PDQ. Then, drink a big glass of salted water upon arising. You may have to take 700 or more mg of magnesium to get things going, but if you are faithful about this routine, over time, your dosage can be reduced.

It seems to me also to be a generally good idea to take the probiotics before bed since it is during the night that the good critters fight their battles against the bad critters as we learned from the thread about sleeping in total darkness. So, by taking the probiotics just before going to bed, you are helping this process.

To update on my experience experimenting with the general protocol thus far. (with daily FIR sauna's)

Using 12% with a total Iodine content of 5.5mg i started worked on getting ~ 25mg - so about 5 drops. Initially, immediately on taking, i would feel the need to go to the toilet and had loose stools, this subsided and wasn't uncomfortable or a hindrance, it was surprising how quickly it 'worked' though. Bearing in mind also that i do take quite a lot of magnesium at night which tends to pull quite a bit of water into my bowels so i think it was a combination.

In addition to the slight popping in the back of my neck, i became more aware of my body overall; as if my blood was pumping slightly more effectively but again it wasn't uncomfortable. In the beginning there was about a week of taking it where i was actually able to work much harder with less effort.

However, after about two weeks or so of experimenting i noticed i wasn't coping as well with the everyday tribulations of life and working in an office but i didn't attribute it to the Iodine, though having read others reports of the psychological effects i had some awareness. What i think threw me was that there was no accompanying physical sensation and having suffered with the catch-all and vague 'fibromyalgia' i have some experience of how fatigue etc. can effect one's mood.

First i noticed that brain fog could come on quite rapidly where moments before i was quite clear; this became obvious when transcribing and was actually a handy way to monitor what was happening. It was also what clued me in to feeling more able at the beginning.

But more importantly after about a week and a half of feeling as though my ability to cope with stress was waning; strong feelings of inadequacy and apathy, and becoming overwhelmed with these feelings i realised it was probably due to the Iodine - because i'd sat with the feelings and recapitulated on any issue - so i took a two day break and resumed at 3 drops ~ 15mg.

When i'm not working, and since it's early days, i like to take 5 drops when I’m not at work (4 days) and on the work day i take 3, the other 2 days i'm taking a break. I've noticed a positive effect on my mental clarity on those off days and feel the rhythm so far is effective without being too distracting. I will continue to play with the dose and i'll probably lower it to 3 drops eventually but for now i'm finding this pace and dose optimal. With it being the holidays though, i've not been taking a break - my diet has remained good and i'm not at work so would like to take the opportunity.

So i identified the feelings and obviously once Perceval posted his experience it kind of makes sense, especially since it did recede once i took a 2 day break. DCM forbid had i experimented with such a dose though (i feel for you Perceval - glad it's settled down but i appreciate it's all in the spirit of self-experimentation). But i would say this was one of the more profound side effects.

I've never had mercury fillings but i have had a few extra unnecessary vaccinations - we thought we were going to Kenya and my Mum liked the idea of free medicine; i spent the day at school with a dead leg after having a jab in my left bum cheek. I also drank ALOT of crap from energy drinks to alcohol and there was a period of about 7-8 years where i relied on recreational drugs and OTC medicine (daily hangovers); that is in the past (and i don't advise it) but it will be one serious avenue of toxicity for my own issues.

To conclude, i can 'feel it working' and I've noticed a definite increase in the healing of my chronic pain issues with muscles/fascia from my whiplash. I've also found i need more sleep. I noticed an increase in my desire for food and water but this also subsided and wasn't intolerable.

Also, due to my previous lifestyle, i was suffering from easily trigged anxiety which i think was partially related to a thyroid dysfunction - which cleared up pretty much with Keto (2014) - but i'll be interested to observe any changes in this area. Also, there have been comments regarding Iodine's role and storage in muscle tissue, having had whiplash for two years, and noticing an obvious improvement, i'll be interested to see any further effects here. As for cold tolerance, i have noticed feeling less aches and pains in cold weather, something i have suffered with because of poor circulation due to tissue damage.

Thank you all for the advice about fish oils. I usually go with the way they smell. If they smell fishy I throw the bottle away. If they smell like nothing, I take them. It's simplistic but there you go. I feel better (mood wise) when I take them though. I probably don't need them for long term, and I haven't taken them in a looooong time, so I'll use them while I continue with iodine and pectin/chlorella for a few weeks, and we'll see.

Here's an article that I found when searching about fish oils, it has some good basic info about how to find good quality ones and what to look for:

Fish Oil Shelf Life – What You Need to Know

Fish oils are available in two main forms: liquids and capsules. It can be difficult to tell by looking at the labels, but it is important to know that not all fish oils are created equally when it comes to quality. Regardless of what format the fish oil is in, the high levels of the omega-3 fatty acids, EPA and DHA, which are responsible for the health benefits of fish oil, are susceptible to oxidation. So what is oxidation? The best way to explain oxidation is to give you the example of rust. Rust is just a generic term applied to the reddish iron oxide formed when iron reacts with oxygen in the environment. Oil also reacts with oxygen and initiates an undesirable series of chemical reactions that eventually produces rancidity in oil. All oils are susceptible to oxidation but fish oil is highly susceptible. You see, EPA and DHA are polyunsaturated fatty acids, which means they have multiple double bonds between their carbon atoms. This makes them very unstable as the double bonds can readily react with oxygen to create unpleasant fishy flavour and odours. It is this process of oxidation that leads to the accompanying off flavours and smells that people often associate with fish oils. Because of this, you can use taste and smell as indicators of quality. Interestingly, fresh fish extracted from the ocean does not have a fishy taste and smell. These sensory properties are developed as a result of oxidation during the processing and packaging of the fish oil. Products with the least amount of fishy taste and smell have undergone the least amount of oxidation and closely resemble fish oil in its most pure and fresh state.

Producing a fish oil product is not necessarily a tremendously difficult task. This is evident when you walk into a drug, grocery, or health food store and see a vast array of different fish oil products. However, producing a high quality, great-tasting fish oil is an extremely difficult task because of the oxidation issue.

Oxidation occurs as soon as the oil comes into contact with oxygen from the environment. Therefore, as soon as fish oil supplements are opened, oxidation can take place. There are ways to reduce oxidation and attempts should be made to reduce oxidation at each stage of oil manufacture and storage. For this reason, fish oil must be treated carefully from the time it is made to the time it is consumed to prevent oxidation.

Several different factors can be controlled to reduce the amount of oxidation in fish oil and therefore prevent rancidity. Temperature is a big contributing factor of oxidation in oil. For this reason, it is best to store liquid fish oil in the refrigerator after opening and to avoid cooking with it. Light can also cause oxidation, which is why high-quality fish oils are packaged in dark brown bottles that provide protection against the damage caused by light. It is never a good idea to buy fish oil that is in clear packaging because the oil is directly exposed to light, which enhances oxidation. Oxygen exposure is also a catalyst for oxidation. For this reason, fish oil should be covered with an inert gas, such as nitrogen, at all possible points during production. This is often referred to as nitrogen purging.

Another way to reduce oxidation is by adding antioxidants to the oil, which slows down the rate at which oxidation occurs by stopping the chemical reactions that occur in the oil. The majority of fish oils contain added antioxidants. The most common antioxidant used is tocopherols, often referred to as vitamin E, which are present in nearly all fish oil products. Other popular natural antioxidants used in fish oil include rosemary extract and ascorbyl palmitate. Although these are commonly used antioxidants, they are not necessarily the best antioxidants. Green tea catechins, on the other hand, are extracted directly from green tea and are very powerful in preventing fish oil from oxidizing.

Most fish oil products state a shelf life of 24 months from the date they are made, as long as they are not opened, or exposed to bright light or high heat. As revealed with independent laboratory testing, some brands do not meet their stated shelf life claim.

Fish oil capsules can be stored at room temperature once the product is opened as long as they are kept out of direct sunlight and are not exposed to high heat. The material used to encapsulate the fish oil acts as a barrier to oxygen and this barrier helps to prevent oxidation. If stored properly, fish oil capsules will maintain their quality for the duration of the shelf life stated on the product label.

Liquid fish oil can go rancid much faster than fish oil capsules when opened because they are lacking the barrier that the capsule provides. This means that the liquid is exposed directly to air. While fish oil capsules can be stored at room temperature, liquid fish oils should always be stored in the refrigerator once opened because the cool temperature slows down oxidation. In addition, vitamin E alone is not a powerful enough antioxidant to effectively prevent oxidation and preserve the quality of the oil so additional antioxidants are required. Green tea catechins are the most effective antioxidant, although numerous other natural antioxidants provide good protection as well. If stored properly, liquid fish oil once opened will maintain its quality for the duration of the shelf life stated on the product label and this typically ranges from 90-100 days. The level of oxidation typically varies considerably from brand to brand based on the antioxidants used to preserve it.

Remember, if fish oil smells or tastes fishy, stop taking it because its quality may have been compromised. If you want to take it a step further, you should investigate whether or not your fish oil has been third party tested. This means that an independent test organization tests the fish oil for quality according to the industry’s most stringent guidelines for quality. This is extremely important if you want to guarantee the quality of your oil. The International Fish Oil Standards Program (or IFOS for short) is a third party testing and accreditation program for omega-3 fish oil products. The Pure Check program takes IFOS testing to the next level and provides complete transparency to the consumer. Instead of just testing one batch of fish oil at an independent laboratory, Pure Check makes sure that every batch of product available on the market is tested for quality and the results are easily accessible online in a nice, easy-to-understand format.

Aside from oxidation, a key point to consider with fish oils is potency. In other words, how much of the omega-3’s, EPA and DHA, are provided? This is important since they are the fatty acids responsible for the health benefits of fish oil. Potency translates into benefits so you want to make sure that you are getting what you are paying for. A test was recently conducted by ConsumerLab who tested 35 products for freshness and purity, and assessed whether or not these products contained the amounts of EPA and DHA claimed on their product labels. Out of the 35 products tests, 11 failed to pass testing! Going back to the Pure Check program, it also assesses whether or not products are meeting label claims and thereby ensures products deliver the promised potency every time.

I also caught a cold these days, just mild stuff, at first I thought it was detox - which still might be - so I am curious to see if my 2-3 drops of lugol's a day and the other stuff help with getting rid of the cold faster, if that's what it is. If I start feeling worse, I am thinking of just dropping everything except vit C and NAC and let my system relax a bit.

I've been experimenting with different iodine dosages and the cofactors for a couple of weeks now. I came down with a bit of a cold which was mild, but centered mostly in the lungs with a lot of phlegm being expelled. While the cold seems gone, for the most part, I'm still coughing up phlegm at this point.

Over the holidays, I took some time off from the supplementing, both because I thought I needed a break and because I didn't relish the thought of bringing all my supplements with me to my parents place for the holidays.

Once I got back from holiday visits I had my roommate muscle test me for the Lugol's 5% and various other supplements. My body said I needed one drop, among other supplements (glycine, tyrosine, ALA, B2, B3, boron and magnesium). I slept really well that night, although that was likely due to being sleep deprived having spent a few nights in an EMF-heavy environment, as much as it was the supplements. I felt good the next day with no symptoms to speak of.

The following night I had my roomie muscle test me again and I got that I should take a similar dose of supplements, but this time got the go-ahead for 3 drops of Lugol's. Sleep was decent, although not as good as the previous night, but all the next day I had a strong metallic taste in the mouth and slight ache to the teeth. I also had the feeling of a film on my teeth. I didn't do any Lugol's last night and I still have the slight metallic taste and subtle ache in the teeth, although the filmy feeling seems to be gone.

With the recent revelations in the thread, I've picked up some chlorella tablets, cilantro tincture and more ALA. I'm thinking I need to stick with those, among other cofactors, for awhile without the iodine to try and get some of the metals out of the body and lessen the amount being mobilized by the iodine.

I'm wondering how much I can trust the readings I'm getting from the muscle testing. Why would I get a positive reading for 3 drops when that would obviously mobilize enough metals to get these symptoms? Although the symptoms certainly weren't that uncomfortable, I was under the impression that ideally one has very little in the way of symptoms while doing this protocol. Maybe my body is telling me I need to power through it?

Keyhole said:
Yeah, from what I have read in the past and through my own experience, fish oils oxidise very quickly and therefore near enough worthless as a supplement. Some recommend only buying brands that can ensure refrigeration up until delivery to your house (which is not feasible for most of us). I would imagine that capsule format may be slightly more stable than liquid-in-a-bottle, however each time the lid is opened you are further increasing oxidation. The smell test can also be decieving. I have found that a good way to determine whether your oil is going rancid seems to be waiting until after you have taken the oil and see whether you experience any "fishy" tasting burps throughout the day. Apparently this is a fairly decent indication that you are dealing with fish oil that has undergone oxidation.

I think a lot of the information out there about fish oil is more a result of companies trying to boost their own products as superior and unique more than actual science on the subject. If fish oil is in a sealed dark bottle, there's no reason to refrigerate it. Remember that these oils can't oxidize if they're not in the presence of oxygen. Also note that most reputable fish oil manufacturers will add antioxidants to the oil to protect them from oxidation - this can include vitamin E (tocopherols), green tea extract, astaxanthin, rosemary extract, etc.

Also, note that "fishy burps" can often be more a result of a deficient digestive system rather than a sign the fish oil was rancid in the first place. People suffering from a fishy burp problem often do better if they take the fish oil with a digestive enzyme including bile and HCl. Also, keep in mind that the "fishy burp" phenomenon is something that's happening in the stomach, not lower digestion where the oils will actually be absorbed, so it likely has little to do with absorption, OSIT.

The info on krill oil is interesting, but in my limited experience with it I found the capsules had a strong fishy smell to them, making me thing they were possibly rancid. This may have just been a leaking capsule in the batch somewhere, though. I've experimenting with this product which comes from herring roe and is promoted as a cheaper yet superior product to krill oil.

My 2 cents

NOTE: Just saw Alana's post and agree. I think one of the best tests is how you feel after taking the supplement.

Back
Top Bottom